One-Skillet Orange Chicken with Vegetables
I wanted to create an orange chicken recipe that isn’t breaded, fried, or loaded with empty calories, fat, and salt.
But that tastes amazing and is the kind of meal you’ll make over and over.
I succeeded because this easy, one-skillet, 15-minute dish is bursting with orange flavor. There’s orange juice, orange zest, and orange marmalade. How’s that for an orange lover’s trifecta.
Ginger adds an Asian flair and some very subtle heat, but if you’re not a ginger fan or are sensitive to it, eliminate or reduce the ginger.
The chicken is juicy and moist, the vegetables are crisp-tender, and everything is coated in the luscious orange-honey sauce that I could eat by the spoonful.
One-Skillet Orange Chicken with Vegetables
I wanted to create an orange chicken recipe that isn’t breaded, fried, or loaded with empty calories, fat, and salt. But that tastes amazing and is the kind of meal you’ll make over and over. I succeeded because this easy, one-skillet, 15-minute dish is bursting with orange flavor from the orange juice, orange zest, and orange marmalade. Ginger adds an Asian flair and some very subtle heat, but you can eliminate or reduce it. The chicken is juicy and moist, the vegetables are crisp-tender, and everything is coated in the luscious orange-honey sauce. I used broccoli, sugar snap peas, and red peppers but you can use your favorites.
Yield: serves 2 to 4
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange zest + more for garnishing
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for sauce + 1 tablespoon for cooking chicken
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- about 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite-sized pieces and seasoned with salt and pepper
- about 2 cups broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces (I use florets and stalks)
- 1 cup sugar snap peas (peapods may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, seeded and diced small (orange or yellow peppers may be substituted)
- To a medium bowl or large measuring cup, add the orange zest, orange juice, orange marmalade, honey, 2 tablespoons olive oil, apple cider vinegar, cornstarch, ginger, salt, pepper, optional cayenne, and whisk to combine; set sauce aside.
- To a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, add chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, flipping intermittently so all sides cook evenly. Cooking time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts and sizes of pieces. Chicken should be about 90% cooked through.
- Add the sauce, noting that it may bubble up in the first few seconds.
- Add the vegetables and allow sauce to bubble at a medium-fast boil for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until sauce has reduced some, chicken is cooked through, and vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir intermittently throughout. If you prefer crisp-tender vegetables (not mushy) turn off the heat sooner rather than later because they will continue to cook from the carryover heat from the sauce and pan. 3 minutes is usually I need but preferences vary.
- Taste and check for seasoning balance, making any necessary adjustments (more salt, pepper, pinch of cayenne, splash of orange juice, etc.) and garnish with a pinch of orange zest before serving. Will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 4 days. Serve cold or reheat gently prior to serving if desired.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Skinny Broccoli and Mixed Vegetable Stir Fry – Skip takeout and make your own fast, easy, and healthy stir fry! Think of all the money and calories you’ll save!
Cilantro Lime Chicken with Mixed Rice and Black Beans – Easy, one skillet, 15-minute meal! Tons of textures and bold flavors in every bite!! The lime makes this dish just POP!
Sweet and Tangy Jerk Chicken with Caramelized Pineapple and Mango – Easy and ready in 15 minutes! Dinner that tastes like a tropical vacation is a guaranteed hit!
Honey Lemon Chicken with Angel Hair Pasta – Easy, ready in 20 minutes, and you’ll love the tangy-sweet flavor! A healthy weeknight dinner for those busy nights!
Sweet-and-Sour Shrimp and Vegetable Stir Fry – Big juicy shrimp and crunchy veggies coated in tangy sauce are a hit with everyone!! Easy, healthy, ready in 20 minutes, and way better than takeout!!
Smoky Chicken, Peppers, and Spinach Pasta Salad – Juicy chicken, crisp bell peppers and pasta with smoked paprika! Fast, easy, healthy and a hit with everyone!! Great for picnics, potlucks, or easy weeknight dinners!
Chinese Chicken Pasta Salad – Big juicy chicken chunks and texture galore from the rainbow of crispy veggies! Fast, easy, fresh and healthy! Great for picnics, potlucks, and easy dinners!
Chicken Teriyaki and Vegetable Bowtie Pasta – Juicy chicken coated in teriyaki sauce with crisp, crunchy veggies! Healthy, easy, 20 minute meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights!
Loaded Chicken Taco Salad with Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing – Fast, easy, fresh and healthy!! All your favorite taco flavors in one big kickin’ salad that everyone will love!
Lighter Chicken Salad – Hello to easy, flavorful, healthier chicken salad! Goodbye mayo, hidden fat, and empty calories! You’ll never miss them in this fresh twist on the classic!