Easy 30-Minute Chicken Fajitas
And of course margaritas.
With easy chicken fajitas that are made in one skillet, are packed with flavor, and ready in 30 minutes, I’m totally set for busy weeknights.
Onions are caramelized to bring out their natural sweetness before adding bell peppers. I used red and yellow peppers because my family prefers them, but you can use green or orange if you prefer.
You can make the fajitas vegetarian by omitting the chicken and using hearty portobello mushrooms instead.
I used a packet of Old El Paso Fajita Seasoning Mix and it lends restaurant-style flavor. The chicken is tender and perfectly spiced. The peppers and onions are juicy and provide the perfect subtle crunch to the fajitas.
My family loves this meal and I could make it every week and they’ll always be happy. To mix it up, try deconstructed fajitas using the same ingredients but rather than using Old El Paso Flour Tortilla Shells, serve in a bowl with rice and beans.
Easy 30-Minute Chicken Fajitas
These easy chicken fajitas are made in one skillet, are packed with flavor, and ready in 30 minutes. The onions are caramelized to bring out their natural sweetness before adding the bell peppers. I used red and yellow peppers because my family prefers them, but you can use green or orange if you prefer. You can make this dish vegetarian by omitting the chicken and using portobello mushrooms. The chicken is tender and perfectly spiced. The peppers and onions are juicy and provide the perfect subtle crunch. To mix it up, try deconstructed fajitas using the same ingredients but rather than using tortilla shells, serve in a bowl with rice and beans.
Yield: about 8 fajitas, serves 4
Prep Time: 5 to 10 minutes
Cook Time: about 20 minutes
Total Time: about 30 minutes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil, or as necessary
- 1 to 1.25-pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 medium/large sweet Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips (orange or green peppers may be substituted)
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup water
- one 1-ounce packet Old El Paso Fajita Seasoning Mix
- one 8-count package Old El Paso Flour Tortilla Shells, for serving
- guacamole, sour cream, cheese, lime juice, etc. or your favorite toppings, optional
- To a large skillet add the oil, chicken, and cook over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned and cooked through; stir and flip intermittently. Remove chicken from skillet (keep the oil and cooking juices in the pan) and set aside.
- If necessary add a bit more oil, add the onions, and sauté over medium heat for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until they begin to caramelize and soften; stir intermittently.
- Add the peppers and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until they begin to soften; stir intermittently.
- Return chicken to skillet.
- Add the water, fajita seasoning mix, and cook for about 3 minutes, or until chicken is heated through; stir intermittently. Spoon mixture into tortillas (if desired warm them first in a dry skillet for about 15 to 30 seconds per side) and serve immediately. Optionally top with guacamole, sour cream, cheese, lime juice, etc. or your favorite toppings. Fajitas are best warm and fresh. Extra fajita mixture will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat gently as desired.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Sweet Potato, Corn & Black Bean Enchiladas (vegetarian) – Healthier comfort food that everyone will love! Fast, easy & tastes amazing!
Chicken Tortilla Lettuce Wraps – Filled with Mexican flavors, there’s taco-seasoned chicken, tomatoes, corn, peppers, cilantro, and cheese! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes, and a family favorite!
Lightened Up Corn and Bean Quesadillas with Avocado-Mango-Chipotle Salsa (vegetarian/vegan option) – You don’t have to derail your diet to enjoy hearty and satisfying comfort food! This version is only about 300 calories and ready in 15 minutes!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup – Chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, and addictively crunchy tortilla strips! Fast, easy weeknight meal, and better than from a restaurant!
Easy Six-Layer Baked Taco Cups – Fast, easy, and accidentally healthy! Your favorite taco fixings in individually-portioned cups!
Lime Cilantro Chicken with Mixed Rice and Black Beans – Easy, one skillet, 15-minute meal! Tons of textures and bold flavors in every bite! The lime makes this dish just pop!
Loaded Chicken Taco Salad with Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing – Fast, easy, fresh and healthy! All your favorite taco flavors in one big kickin’ salad that everyone will love!!
Avocado, Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime-Cumin Vinaigrette – Everything tastes better with avocado! Easy, healthy and tons of flavor!
Easy 15-Minute Fish Tacos with Avocado Corn Salsa – Tons of big flavors in a fast, fresh and healthy meal!! A clean-eating recipe that tastes like comfort food!
Do-It-Yourself Guacamole Bar – Make your own guacamole bar and have fun taste-testing the options! Great party idea that everyone loves!
Easy Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa – Make your own salsa in minutes! Fast, easy, goofproof and tastes 1000x better than anything you’d buy!
Post is brought to you by Albertson’s Safeway and Old El Paso. The recipe, images, text, and opinions expressed are my own. #oldelpaso #vons
Save $1.00 on any ONE PACKAGE Old El Paso™ Dinner Kit, Tortillas, or Taco Shells and TWO Avocados from Mexico 1/1/16-2/9/16. The coupon is available on j4U (Safeway), MyMixx (Jewel, Acme, Shaws), or Albertsons.com (Albertsons) – offer available 1/1/16-2/9/16
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons. The opinions and text are all mine.