Loaded Chicken Enchilada Zucchini Boats
It’s that time of year when everyone’s gardens are exploding with zucchini.
Except mine because I don’t have a garden. But the zucchini are inexpensive and plentiful at the grocery store.
Rather than making traditional enchiladas, I put a spin on things by hollowing out zucchini and piling them sky high with toppings rather than using enchilada wraps or taco shells.
You won’t miss the carbs in these healthy enchiladas that are ready in 30 minutes and exploding with flavor. My family gave them a ten out of ten and asked when I’m making them again.
The enchilada sauce soaks into the chicken to keep it extra moist and juicy, there’s corn and red and yellow bell peppers for flavor and texture, and the melted cheese is my favorite part.
Feel free to add black beans, pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, or your other favorite Mexican-inspired fixings. My boats were already loaded to the max and couldn’t hold any more goodies even though I was tempted to try.
Loaded Chicken Enchilada Zucchini Boats
Rather than making traditional enchiladas, I hollowed out zucchini and piled them sky high with toppings rather than using taco shells. You won't miss the carbs in these healthy enchiladas that are ready in 30 minutes and exploding with flavor. The enchilada sauce soaks into the chicken to keep it extra moist and juicy, there's corn and red and yellow bell peppers for flavor and texture, and the melted cheese is my favorite part. Feel free to add black beans, pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, or your other favorite Mexican-inspired fixings.
Yield: serves 4
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: about 28 to 30 minutes
Total Time: about 40 minutes
- 4 medium/large zucchini
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken (use storebought rotisserie chicken to save time)
- 3/4 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup bell peppers, diced small (I used red and yellow)
- 1/2 cup corn (I used frozen straight from the freezer)
- 1 cup Mexican shredded cheese blend
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely minced
- optionally add or garnish with black beans, pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, etc.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a large baking dish or 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Trim ends from zucchini, halve lengthwise, and use a spoon to hollow out centers to create boats, leaving a 1/8-inch margin intact. Discard hollowed out flesh (or add it to homemade hummus, soup, or soup).
- Arrange zucchini in prepared dish and bake for about 20 minutes, or until softened.
- While zucchini bakes, to a medium bowl add the shredded chicken, enchilada sauce, and stir to combine.
- Remove zucchini from oven and evenly distribute the chicken down the hollowed out portion of the zucchini.
- Evenly sprinkle with bell peppers, corn, and cheese.
- Bake for about 8 minutes or until cheese has melted to your liking.
- Evenly sprinkle with cilantro and optionally garnish with the toppings of your choice and serve immediately. Zucchini are best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Loaded Chicken Enchilada Nachos – Juicy chicken soaked in enchilada sauce with black beans, corn, peppers, cilantro, and more! Cheesy, gooey perfection and ready in 5 minutes! Perfect for parties, tailgating, or anytime you need an easy nacho fix!
Easy Chicken Enchilada Bake – All the flavors of your favorite enchiladas, minus the work! Easy, ready in 30 minutes, and you can prep it in advance to save time on busy weeknights or before a big event!
Sweet Potato, Corn, and Black Bean Enchiladas (vegetarian) – Healthier comfort food that everyone will love! Fast, easy, and tastes amazing!
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Quinoa – All the flavor of chicken enchiladas, minus the work of rolling them! Juicy chicken, corn, black beans, peppers, and loads of melted cheese! Easy, one-skillet, and ready in 30 minutes!
Lime Cilantro Chicken with Mixed Rice and Black Beans – Easy, one skillet, 15-minute meal! Tons of textures and bold flavors in every bite! The lime makes this dish just pop!
Easy 30-Minute Chicken Fajitas – Make restaurant-style fajitas at home in just 30 minutes! Juicy chicken, caramelized onions, and bell peppers pack so much flavor! This easy recipe will go into your regular rotation!
Avocado, Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime-Cumin Vinaigrette – Everything tastes better with avocado! Easy, healthy and tons of flavor!
Chicken Tortilla Lettuce Wraps – Filled with Mexican flavors, there’s taco-seasoned chicken, tomatoes, corn, peppers, cilantro, and cheese! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes, and a family favorite!
Cheese, Black Beans, and Corn-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Avocado Crema (vegan, GF) – A healthy meal or hearty side that’s easy, ready in 15 minutes, satisfying, and doesn’t taste like health food!
Lightened Up Corn and Bean Quesadillas with Avocado-Mango-Chipotle Salsa (vegetarian/vegan option) – You don’t have to derail your diet to enjoy hearty and satisfying comfort food! This version is only about 300 calories and ready in 15 minutes!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup – Chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, and addictively crunchy tortilla strips! Fast, easy weeknight meal, and better than from a restaurant!
Easy Six-Layer Baked Taco Cups – Fast, easy, and accidentally healthy! Your favorite taco fixings in individually-portioned cups!
Loaded Chicken Taco Salad with Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing – Fast, easy, fresh and healthy! All your favorite taco flavors in one big kickin’ salad that everyone will love!!
Do-It-Yourself Guacamole Bar – Make your own guacamole bar and have fun taste-testing the options! Great party idea that everyone loves!
Easy Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa – Make your own salsa in minutes! Fast, easy, goofproof and tastes 1000x better than anything you’d buy!
Baked Triple Cheese and Salsa Tortilla Chip Dip – Loaded with 3 kinds of cheese and baked to browned, bubbly, golden perfection! Always a hit at parties!