Overnight Blueberry Waffle Breakfast Bars
There’s nothing better than prepping a breakfast or brunch recipe the night before, going to bed, and waking up and all you need to do is bake it.
That’s called a delicious, easy-breezy morning.
This is one of the best things I’ve made in ages and definitely one of my favorite recipes of 2016. Seriously so, so good.
It’s like dessert for breakfast. No wonder I’m in serious love with it.
Chopped waffles are layered with a brown sugar and cream cheese mixture before adding blueberries, more waffles, and pouring a milky, buttery egg mixture over the top.
There’s so much texture and flavor in every bite. Juicy blueberries, soft yet chewy waffles, a crumbly streusel for subtle crunch, and a sweet glaze to boot. I can’t wait to make this for my next brunch because I know it will be a major hit.
Overnight Blueberry Waffle Breakfast Bars
There's nothing better than prepping a breakfast or brunch recipe the night before, going to bed, and waking up and all you need to do is bake it. It's one of the best breakfasts ever and like eating dessert for breakfast. Chopped blueberry frozen waffles are layered with a brown sugar and cream cheese mixture before adding blueberries, more waffles, and pouring a milky, buttery egg mixture over the top as well as a buttery, cinnamon and brown sugar streusel topping. There's so much texture and flavor in every bite. Juicy blueberries, soft yet chewy waffles, a crumbly streusel for subtle crunch, and a glaze to boot.
Yield: one 8x8-inch pan
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: about 40 minutes
Total Time: 8+ hours, for overnight chilling
- 8 frozen blueberry waffles, thawed, and cut into 1-inch pieces (plain waffles may be substituted); divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened (I used lite)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup (half of 1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk or half-and-half (I used unsweetened cashewmilk)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon light-colored corn syrup (helps keep the glaze softer)
- 1 tablespoon water
- Waffles - Line an 8x8-inch pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- Chop the waffles and add about 60% (5 waffles) to the prepared pan. Reserve remainder; set aside.
- To a medium bowl, add the cream cheese, brown sugar, and beat with a handheld electric mixer on medium-high speed until combined and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Drop cream cheese mixture by rounded tablespoons evenly distributed over the waffles.
- Evenly scatter the blueberries. Note - I have only tried the recipe with fresh rather than frozen berries and can't speak to the results with frozen.
- Evenly top with the reserved waffles; set aside.
- To a medium, microwave-safe bowl add the butter and heat on high power to melt, about 1 minute. Wait momentarily so you don't scramble the eggs.
- Add the eggs, milk, granulated sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and whisk to combine. Evenly pour mixture over the waffles. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- On the morning of baking, preheat oven to 350F, remove pan from fridge, and uncover it.
- Streusel - To a medium bowl, add the brown sugar, butter, flour, cinnamon, and cut the butter into the dry ingredients using two forks until crumbs form. There will be a mixture of pea-sized crumbs and sandy bits. Evenly turn streusel out over the waffles.
- Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes, or until top is set and lightly golden brown. Allow waffles to cool in pan on a wire rack for about 15 minutes. While cooling, make the glaze.
- Glaze - To a medium bowl, add the confectioners' sugar, corn syrup (milk or water may be substituted noting glaze will set up harder and crustier), water, and whisk until smooth and combined. Evenly drizzle glaze over waffles.
- Recipe is best warm and fresh but extra will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat gently as desired.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Easy Buttermilk Waffles with Mixed Berry and Lemon Preserves – As fast and easy as using boxed pancake mix, but so much better! Crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy inside!
Dairy-Free Soft and Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes – Healthier pancakes that are soft, fluffy, light & just bursting with blueberries!
Blueberry Dutch Baby Pancake – Never be a slave to flipping pancakes again! Make one big one and bake it!
Blueberry Oatmeal Crumble Bars – Fast, easy, no-mixer bars great for breakfast, snacks, or a healthy dessert! Big crumbles and juicy berries are irresistible!
Brown Sugar Blueberry Banana Bread with Blueberry Butter – A fun twist on a banana bread with lots of juicy blueberries!
Skinny Blueberry Muffins – No butter and very low sugar but you’ll never notice! Easy, no mixer, soft, fluffy, and bursting with blueberries in every bite!
Extra Soft and Moist Blueberry Muffins – No oil & almost no butter yet they’re the moistest muffins and all the blueberries make them impossible to resist!
The Best Vegan Blueberry Muffins – Some of my favorite muffins ever, vegan or otherwise!
Flourless Blueberry Banana Blender Muffins – NO refined sugar, flour, or oil, and under 100 calories!! Super soft, loaded with blueberries, and taste AMAZING!! As easy as turning on your blender!!
Blueberry Muffins with Raspberry Jam Swirls – Soft, tender blueberry muffins with swirls of raspberry jam!
Lightened Up Blueberry Lemon Pound Cake – No BUTTER in this healthier cake with big juicy blueberries and refreshing lemon! It’s a keeper!
Blueberry Muffin and Buttermilk Pancakes Cake – One of the best coffee cakes and uses a tried-and-true cake base I adore!
Blueberry and Cream Cheese Muffin Top Bread – Tastes like one big muffin top. Ridiculously soft and moist!