Caramel Apple Cinnamon Roll Bake
What’s better than cinnamon rolls? Cinnamon rolls with apples and caramel sauce, of course.
I love cinnamon rolls and the moister, softer, and gooier they are, the better. This recipe delivers big time. It’s one of the best things I’ve made in ages. Seriously. The gooey factor of a Cinnabon plus apples and caramel sauce.
The recipe is easy, ready in 30 minutes, and you don’t even have to make scratch cinnamon roll dough.
I used two tubes of refrigerated cinnamon roll dough, chopped it into pieces, poured a milky egg mixture over the top, before adding apples, frosting, and caramel sauce.
As the dough rises around the apples, the apples become trapped in the dough, and every bite is filled with tender, juicy apples that retain a tiny bit of crunch. A perfect contrast to the chewy, buttery dough.
After baking I added frosting and drizzled salted caramel over the top for an added boost of caramel flavor. Use homemade or storebought. You can always add ice cream or whipped topping if you’re feeling extra decadent but this is a decadent recipe already and we didn’t need ice cream. During baking the apples release juice and there’s a saucy, juicy, caramel mixture at the bottom of the pan that’s so incredibly delicious.
The recipe is perfect for lazy weekend breakfasts, impromptu company, or a special holiday brunch or event. It tastes like you slaved over it but no one has to know you didn’t.
Caramel Apple Cinnamon Roll Bake
This cinnamon roll recipe with apples and caramel sauce is easy, ready in 30 minutes, and you don’t even have to make scratch cinnamon roll dough. Use two tubes of refrigerated cinnamon roll dough, chop it into pieces, pour a milky egg mixture over the top, before adding apples, frosting, and caramel sauce. As the dough rises around the apples, the apples become trapped in the dough, and every bite is filled with tender, juicy apples. A perfect contrast to the chewy, buttery dough. After baking add frosting and drizzle salted caramel over the top for an added boost of caramel flavor. Perfect for lazy weekend breakfasts, impromptu company, or a special holiday brunch or event.
- two 8-count tubes refrigerated cinnamon roll dough, with icing (I used Pillsbury Cinnabon Reduced Fat)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (I used unsweetened cashewmilk)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter butter
- 2 medium/large granny smith apples (about 2 cups), cored and diced small (I did not peel)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream or milk (I used unsweetened cashewmilk)
- about 1/3 cup salted caramel sauce (homemade or storebought; or regular caramel sauce)
- vanilla ice cream or whipped topping, optional for serving
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a 9×9-inch pan with foil and spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- Cut the cinnamon roll dough into 3 even strips, then cut those strips into 3 pieces, making 9 pieces total per cinnamon roll. Scatter in prepared pan, separating the pieces from one another because they stick together if you slice them in stacks; set pan and the icing from the packaging aside.
- To a medium bowl, add the eggs, 1/2 cup milk, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, and whisk until smooth; set aside.
- To a large skillet, add the butter and heat over medium-low heat to melt.
- Add the apples, brown sugar, and cook over low heat until the sugar starts to caramelize and thicken, about 10 minutes; stir frequently. Remove pan from heat; set aside.
- Pour the milky egg mixture over the cinnamon rolls, top with the apples and all the caramel sauce in the pan, and evenly drizzle the icing. If the icing is cold, heating it in the microwave for 10 seconds will make drizzling easier.
- Place pan on a baking sheet (insurance against overflow and highly recommended) and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the top is set in the center and lightly golden brown. Place pan on a wire rack to cool momentarily while you make the frosting.
- To a medium bowl, add the confectioners’ sugar, 2 tablespoons cream or milk, and whisk to combine until smooth.
- Evenly drizzle the frosting and the salted caramel over the rolls, and optionally serve with ice cream or whipped topping. Serve immediately. Cinnamon rolls are best warm and fresh but will keep airtight at room temp for up to 5 days.
Adapted from Buzzfeed
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Apple Fritter Bread – Soft, fluffy bread that’s stuffed AND topped with apples, cinnamon, and sugar! Like apple fritters in bread form!
The Best & Easiest Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce – Ready in 15 minutes and tastes 1000x better than any storebought sauce ever could!
Salted Caramel Sticky Buns – The easiest stickiest buns ever and ready in 30 minutes! Drenched in salted caramel for maximum sticky-ness!
Overnight Buttermilk Soft and Fluffy Cinnamon Rolls – For soft, fluffy, pillowy, perfect cinnamon rolls when you need a larger batch, it’s my go-to. Readers who’ve tried it write with high praise and success!
The Best Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls – Super soft, fluffy, and topped with a cream cheese glaze! Move over Cinnabon, these are better!!
Nutella Cinnamon Rolls with Vanilla Glaze (Shortcut Recipe) – A can of crescent rolls never tasted so good as when they’re stuffed with Nutella and rolled up. Ready from start to finish in 15 minutes!
Strawberry Sweet Rolls with Vanilla Cream Cheese Glaze – Soft, glazed rolls filled with sweet strawberry jam!
One-Hour Homemade Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting – Make soft, light, fluffy cinnamon rolls from scratch in 1 hour!
Healthy Oatmeal Raisin Rolls – A healthier spin on cinnamon rolls, these soft and chewy rolls are made with healthy oats and brushed with honey!
– Apple Pie meets Apple Crumble meets plenty of gooey caramel. Easy, fast, 5-minutes to assemble. Goofproof recipe for those of us who aren’t pie-makers!
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Crumble Bars – Move over apple pie! These are an apple pie, apple crumble and cheesecake all in one! YUM!
5-Minute Microwave Apple Cinnamon Crumble For One (vegan, gluten-free) – 5-minute easy recipe that’s perfect for breakfast or snacks!
Caramel Cream Poke Cake – A creamy caramel mixture soaks into soft yellow cake before being topped with whipped cream and more caramel! An easy cake that’s a guaranteed winner especially with caramel lovers!