Apple Cider Chicken with Caramelized Apples
I went apple picking and came home with tons of apples and apple cider and came up with this easy recipe to put them to use.
Just kidding. I don’t have time to go apple picking but I wish I did.
Regardless, this is an easy dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes, takes advantage of apples, apple cider, and the flavors of fall. The whole family will love it.
This recipe begins by caramelizing onions, searing chicken breasts, adding garlic, and allowing the chicken to finish cooking by simmering in an apple cider and Dijon mustard mixture. The little bit of Dijon adds a wonderful richness and depth of flavor to the sauce. It was outstanding. I wanted to drink it.
I haven’t tried the recipe with apple juice and while I’m sure it would be fine, apple cider has more flavor which is why I used it.
While the chicken simmers, apples are caramelized with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice for brightness. A tiny bit of lemon juice adds big time zing and flavor and really complements the caramely sauce that’s formed.
I used Gala apples, but you can try Fuji, Honeycrisp, or your favorite red apples. Your house will smell like you’re baking an apple pie and it’s absolutely divine.
Apple Cider Chicken with Caramelized Apples
This easy dinner is ready in 30 minutes, takes advantage of apples, apple cider, and the flavors of fall. The whole family will love it. Begin by caramelizing onions, searing chicken breasts, adding garlic, and allow the chicken to finish cooking by simmering in an apple cider and Dijon mustard mixture that's full of rich flavor. While the chicken simmers, apples are caramelized with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice for brightness.
Yield: serves 4
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: about 20 minutes
Total Time: about 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet Vidalia onion, sliced into thin strips
- about 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 1-inch wide strips or use chicken breast tenders
- salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced or pressed
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium red apples, cored and sliced into 1/4-inch wedges (I did not peel and used Gala. Fuji, Honeycrisp, or similar red apples may be used)
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage leaves (stems discarded), finely chopped
- To a large skillet, add the oil, onions, and cook over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes, or until onions begin to soften and caramelize; stir frequently.
- Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, flipping and stirring intermittently so all sides cook evenly. Chicken should be about 80 percent cooked through.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant; stir frequently.
- To a medium bowl or large measuring cup, add the apple cider, Dijon, whisk to combine, and add to the skillet. Turn the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 7 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. While the chicken simmers, make the apples.
- To a separate large skillet, add the butter and heat over medium-high heat to melt.
- Add the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, stir to combine, and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until apples are just tender. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Taste the chicken and cider-Dijon mixture, add additional salt or pepper to taste, if desired.
- Evenly sprinkle with sage and serve immediately. Dish is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days. Store chicken and apples in separate containers. Reheat gently as desired.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Favorite EASY CHICKEN RECIPES
Awesome APPLE RECIPES
Apple, White Cheddar, and Spinach Salad with Honey-Apple Cider Vinaigrette – The flavors just POP in this fast, easy, and healthy salad!
Cranberry, Apple, and Blue Cheese Salad with Cranberry-Apple Cider Dressing – All the flavors of fall in one gorgeous, hearty, and healthy salad!! The easy, tart-and-sweet dressing is just bursting with flavor!
Easy Lemon Chicken with Caramelized Lemons – If you like lemons you’re going to love this very lemony LEMON chicken! Easy, healthy, ready in 20 minutes, and bursting with bold lemon flavor!
Easy Honey Mustard Chicken – Soft, juicy chicken tenders coated with the BEST honey mustard! Ready in 20 minutes, a family favorite, and a perfect addition to your weeknight dinner rotation!
One-Skillet Balsamic Chicken and Vegetables – A tangy-sweet balsamic glaze coats juicy chicken and crisp-tender veggies! Healthy, easy, ready in 15 minutes, and perfect for busy weeknights!
Balsamic Chicken Caprese Salad – Juicy chicken coated in balsamic along with plump tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and basil! Easy, healthy, ready in 15 minutes!