Blueberry Banana Zucchini Bread
About a month ago I made Blueberry Zucchini Bread and fell in love with it.
But if there’s one thing I like more than even that bread, it’s this one because I incorporated bananas.
For me banana bread is better than a fancy layer cake or a decadent slice of pie. I have over 40+ banana bread recipes to prove it and there’s always room for one more.
It’s an easy, no mixer recipe for banana bread that’s spiked with juicy blueberries in every bite. Your house will smell like a bakery as the bread bakes.
Zucchini is one of my favorite secret weapon ingredients because it keeps everything very moist and tender without imparting much flavor. If you close your eyes so you can’t see the green flecks, I doubt you’ll be able to taste it. My family said they couldn’t taste it at all here nor could they in my last loaf.
The bread takes awhile to bake. My loaf took 90 minutes to cook through. I tented it with foil at the 45 minute mark to prevent the top and sides from browning too quickly while allowing the interior a chance to set up.
Between the moisture from the bananas, zucchini, and blueberries, it takes time to cook through but the result is an incredibly moist loaf. Don’t get hung up on the clock. Bake until your bread is done, whatever that means with your ingredients, oven, and climate.
Since you’re getting extra veggies from the zucchini and a double serving of fruit from the bananas and blueberries, I didn’t mind reaching for multiple slices of this soft, springy bread.
Blueberry Banana Zucchini Bread
This is an easy, no mixer recipe for banana bread that's spiked with juicy blueberries in every bite. Zucchini is one of my favorite secret weapon ingredients because it keeps everything very moist and tender without imparting much flavor. I doubt you'll be able to taste it. My loaf took 90 minutes to cook through. Tent with foil at the 45 minute mark to prevent the top and sides from browning too quickly while allowing the interior a chance to set up.Between the moisture from the bananas, zucchini, and blueberries, it takes time to cook through but the result is an incredibly moist, soft, springy loaf.
Yield: one 9x5-inch loaf
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: about 90 minutes, or until done
Total Time: 2+ hours, for cooling
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cup sour cream (lite is okay; or Greek yogurt may be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour + 1/4 cup for tossing with blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (from about 2 medium/large bananas)
- 1 cup coarsely grated zucchini, laid loosely in cup and not packed (don't wring out)
- 1 cup (6 ounces) fresh blueberries (I haven't tried with frozen)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray one 9x5-inch loaf pan with floured cooking spray, or grease and flour the pan; set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the the first six ingredients, through vanilla, and whisk to combine.
- Add 1 1/4 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and stir until just combined; don't overmix.
- Add the bananas, zucchini, and stir to combine; set aside.
- To a medium bowl, add the blueberries, 1/4 cup flour (helps prevent them from sinking while baking), and toss to coat.
- Add the blueberries and all flour bits to the large bowl with the batter and stir until just combined; don't overmix.
- Turn batter out into the prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula. Tip - Evenly sprinkle the surface with 1 to 2 tablespoons blueberries for a visual pop of color.
- Place loaf pan on a baking sheet (for insurance against overflow) and bake for about 90 minutes (start checking at about 75 minutes), or until the top is golden, the center is set, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. Important note- At the 45 minute mark, tent the pan with a sheet of foil draped loosely over it to prevent the top and sides from browning too quickly while giving the interior a chance to cook through. I encourage rotating the pan a couple times during baking to ensure even baking because many ovens don't bake evenly. Baking times will vary based on the moisture content of the bananas, zucchini, blueberries, climate, and oven variances. Bake until done; watch your bread, not the clock and don't worry if it takes more or less time to bake than the baking time estimate provided.
- Allow bread to cool in pan for about 15 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing and serving. Bread will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Blueberry Zucchini Bread – Juicy BLUEBERRIES in every bite of this soft, easy, no mixer bread! If you have picky eaters who don’t like zucchini, don’t worry because you can’t taste it! It keeps the bread tender and HEALTHIER!
Cream Cheese-Filled Banana Bread – Banana bread that’s like having cheesecake baked in! Soft, fluffy, easy and tastes ahhhh-mazing!
Brown Sugar Blueberry Banana Bread with Blueberry Butter – Blueberry coffee cake meets super soft banana bread! So good!
Blueberry and Cream Cheese Muffin Top Bread – Tastes like one big muffin top. Ridiculously soft and moist!
Lightened Up Blueberry Lemon Pound Cake – No BUTTER in this healthier cake with big juicy blueberries and refreshing lemon! It’s a keeper!
The Best Vegan Blueberry Muffins – Healthy and you’ll never know they’re vegan and made with an unlikely ingredient!
Skinny Blueberry Muffins – No butter and very low sugar but you’ll never notice! Easy, no mixer, soft, fluffy, and bursting with blueberries in every bite!
Zucchini Banana Bread – Soft, super moist, easy, no mixer needed! Jazz up regular banana bread by adding zucchini and it’s healthier, too!
Banana Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins (vegan) – You’ll never complain about eating your vegetables again! Soft, healthy, so good!
Carrot Zucchini Bread – Fast, easy, one bowl, no mixer!! Super soft, moist, and tastes so good you’ll forget it’s on the healthier side!
Zucchini Banana Bread with Browned Butter Cream Cheese Glaze – Soft and moist with a special ingredient!
Banana Zucchini Pudding Cake with Vanilla Browned Butter Glaze – The softest, moistest cake ever! So easy and the glaze is heavenly!