Cheesy Beef Taco Pie
This is a comfort food recipe that’s perfect for everything from tailgating to holiday parties to a weeknight dinner the whole family will love.
Your favorite taco ingredients are baked into this loaded, juicy, and perfectly savory pie. My family and friends gave it a 10.
Rather than using taco shells, I used a tube of crescent rolls that I unrolled and pressed into a pie dish to form the crust. Stretch the rolls as necessary to cover the base and up the side of the pie dish.
Then add crushed corn tortilla chips, juicy ground beef and tomatoes, sour cream, more chips, and loads of glorious cheese before baking until the cheese is lightly golden browned.
I selected low or no sodium where possible (taco seasoning and canned tomatoes) to avoid the finished dish from reading overly salty.
Cheesy Beef Taco Pie
This is a comfort food recipe that's perfect for everything from tailgating to holiday parties to a weeknight dinner the whole family will love. Your favorite taco ingredients are baked into this loaded, juicy, and perfectly savory pie. Rather than using taco shells, I used a tube of crescent rolls that I unrolled and pressed into a pie dish to form the crust. Add crushed corn tortilla chips, juicy ground beef and tomatoes, sour cream, more chips, and loads of glorious cheese before baking until the cheese is lightly golden browned. The recipe is very flexible and I selected low or no sodium where possible.
Yield: one 9-inch pie dish, serves 8
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: bake about 35 to 40 minutes
Total Time: about 50 minutes
- 1 pound lean ground beef (I used 85% lean)
- one 1-ounce packet taco seasoning (I used reduced sodium)
- one 14.5-ounce can petite diced tomatoes (I used no salt added)
- one 8-ounce tube crescent rolls
- 3/4 cup crushed corn tortilla chips + 1/2 cup crushed corn tortilla chips
- 12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) sour cream (I used lite)
- about 6 ounces shredded Mexican cheese blend, or your favorite cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray, set aside.
- To a large skillet, add the ground beef and cook over medium-high heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Break up the beef and stir intermittently so it cooks evenly.
- Add the taco seasoning (do not add water like the packet calls for), tomatoes and the juice, turn the heat to low, stir to combine, and allow the mixture to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- While mixture simmers, unroll the crescent rolls, and add them to the pie dish in an even flat layer so there's complete coverage at the base and up the sides. As necessary, stretch and smoosh the dough together to patch in holes. It will expand and bake togteher in the oven so it's okay if it's not perfect.
- Evenly sprinkle 3/4 cup tortilla chips over the base of the pie dish.
- Turn out the beef mixture into the pie dish.
- Add the sour cream and spread evenly with a spatula, leaving a 1/2-inch bare margin at the perimeter.
- Evenly sprinkle 1/2 cup tortilla chips.
- Evenly sprinkle the cheese.
- Place pie dish on a baking sheet (insurance against cheesy overflow in oven) and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until cheese has melted and is as lightly golden browned as desired. Start checking at 25 to 30 minutes because all ovens and ingredients vary.
- Evenly sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately. Dish is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Loaded Beef Taco Salad with Creamy Lime Cilantro Dressing – Loaded with your favorite taco fixings, minus the shells, to keep things healthier without sacrificing any flavor! The dressing is easy, creamy and irresistible!
Easy Six-Layer Baked Taco Cups – Fast, easy, and accidentally healthy! Your favorite taco fixings in individually-portioned cups!
Baked Triple Cheese & Salsa Tortilla Chip Dip – Loaded with 3 kinds of cheese & baked to browned, bubbly, golden perfection! Always a hit at parties!
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Quinoa – All the flavor of chicken enchiladas, minus the work of rolling them!! Juicy chicken, corn, black beans, peppers, and loads of melted cheese! Easy, one-skillet, and ready in 30 minutes!!
Chicken Tortilla Lettuce Wraps – Filled with Mexican flavors, there’s taco-seasoned chicken, tomatoes, corn, peppers, cilantro, and cheese! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes, and a family favorite!
Lime Cilantro Chicken with Mixed Rice and Black Beans – Easy, one skillet, 15-minute meal! Tons of textures and bold flavors in every bite! The lime makes this dish just pop!
Avocado, Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime-Cumin Vinaigrette – Everything tastes better with avocado! Easy, healthy and tons of flavor!
Do-It-Yourself Guacamole Bar – Make your own guacamole bar and have fun taste-testing the options! Great party idea that everyone loves!
Loaded Guacamole Nachos – Fresh, easy homemade guac on top of cheesy chips is totally irresistible! These disappear fast – so good!
Easy Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa – Make your own salsa in minutes! Fast, easy, goofproof and tastes 1000x better than anything you’d buy!
Sweet Potato, Corn, and Black Bean Enchiladas (vegetarian) – Healthier comfort food that everyone will love! Fast, easy, and tastes amazing!
Cheese, Black Beans, and Corn-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Avocado Crema (vegan, GF) – A healthy meal or hearty side that’s easy, ready in 15 minutes, satisfying, and doesn’t taste like health food!
Lightened Up Corn and Bean Quesadillas with Avocado-Mango-Chipotle Salsa (vegetarian/vegan option) – You don’t have to derail your diet to enjoy hearty and satisfying comfort food! This version is only about 300 calories and ready in 15 minutes!
Beef Queso Dip – Caramelized onions, ground beef, taco seasoning, and cheese in this fast and easy dip everyone loves! Great for game days, parties, holidays, and events!