Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Skillet Cookie
Thank you to Vons, Pavilions and Albertsons for sponsoring this post. All opinions are my own.
Bigger is definitely better when it comes to cookies. Especially when they’re loaded with melted chocolate and gooey marshmallows.
The skillet cookie is easy, ready in under 30 minutes, made in one bowl, you don’t even need a mixer, and there’s no dough to chill. My kind of cookie.
It’s a recreation of a cookie I made with Jenny and Lori on a recent trip to Chicago for VONS grocery store for VONS’ #OraganicforAll event. I had the opportunity to work with a vast selection of O Organics® products, but please check your local Albertsons family store to see what’s available in your area.
We had such a fun day that started out with breakfast and then a cooking demo.
Then we were turned loose in a commercial kitchen stocked with O Organics products and were told to create something in 1 hour. No pressure.
It felt like an episode of Chopped not knowing what your basket ingredients were going to be and with the pressure of the clock and no written recipes to follow, but we quickly decided on a skillet cookie because they’re easy, cook quickly, we didn’t need a mixer, and we guestimated the amount of flour, sugar, and so forth that we needed to use.
The skillet cookie that day turned out so well I had to remake it at home.
This time I measured accurately and scaled the recipe for a standard 9-inch skillet. If your skillet is slightly bigger or smaller, you should be fine. Just watch the baking time and adjust accordingly.
I used O Organics All-Purpose Flour, Madagascar Vanilla, and Canola Oil Cooking Spray from my local VONS. I get my O Organics products at Vons, Pavilions, and Albertsons but if you are outside of the San Diego area, O Organics products are available at Albertsons Companies stores across the country, including Jewel-Osco, ACME Markets, Safeway, Shaw’s, Tom Thumb, Randalls, and Star Market noting that products vary by region.
A tip when baking in cast iron or any heavy skillet is that the carryover heat will continue cooking the food after you take it out of the oven so if you like your cookies gooey and a little underbaked in the center like I do, remove it from the oven sooner rather than later because it’ll continue to cook even out of the oven and firms up as it cools.
The center is squishy soft, the edges and base are chewy, the marshmallows are gooey, and there’s plenty of chocolate in every bite. If you want to add a handful of nuts, swap out the marshmallows for a diced candy bar pieces, go for it because it’s a flexible recipe.
Pop it into the oven before dinner and when you’re finished, dessert is ready.
Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Skillet Cookie
Bigger is better when it comes to cookies. Especially when they’re loaded with melted chocolate and gooey marshmallows. The skillet cookie is easy, ready in under 30 minutes, made in one bowl, you don’t even need a mixer, and there’s no dough to chill. The center is soft, the edges and base are chewy, the marshmallows are gooey, and there’s plenty of chocolate. It’s a flexible recipe and you can mix and match the add-ins. Pop it into the oven before dinner and when you’re finished, dessert is ready.
- O Organics Canola Oil Cooking Spray
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons O Organics Madagascar Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups 0 Organics All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup chocolate chips, divided (I used semi-sweet, milk is okay)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, optional
- ice cream, optional for serving
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9-inch cast iron skillet (a similar-sized heavy skillet may be used) with cooking spray; set aside.
- To a large microwave-safe bowl, add the butter and heat on high power to melt, about 1 minute. Wait momentarily before adding the egg so you don’t scramble it.
- Add the egg, sugars, vanilla, and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and stir to combine.
- Add the marshmallows, 3/4 cup chocolate chips, optional nuts, and stir to combine.
- Turn dough out into prepared skillet, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula. Evenly sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Bake for about 25 to 29 minutes, or until cookie is lightly golden browned and set around the edges and mostly set in the center. Cookie will continue to cook in the skillet after being removed from the oven so if you like your cookies gooey and a little underbaked in the center, remove it from the oven sooner rather than later. Cookie firms up as it cools. Baking time will depend on exact size of skillet used, oven variances, etc. Serve immediately, optionally with a scoop of ice cream. Cookie is best warm and fresh but extra will keep airtight at room temp for up to 4 days.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Skillet Cookie – 3 fave cookies combined into 1 giant cookie! So easy and ready in 25 minutes. Pop it in before dinner and enjoy!
Samoas Cookie Pie – Move over Girl Scout Cookies! The flavor in this easy, giant cookie is 100% spot-on! Hello year-round cookie season!
Peanut Butter Smores Cookie Pie – A peanut butter and graham cracker cookie underneath gooey marshmallows and melted chocolate! You don’t need a campfire for these easy and amazing smores!
Softbatch Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies – Move over butter, cream cheese keeps these cookies soft and extra thick!
The Best Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies – My favorite recipe for chocolate chip cookies! Just one bite and I think you’ll agree!
Chocolate Chip and Chunk Cookies – My gold standard Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe for over two years!
The Best Soft and Chewy Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies – You’ll never miss the butter in these cookies that are so soft & loaded to the max with chocolate!
TURTLES® Chocolate Chip Cookies – The BEST chocolate chip cookies stuffed with TURTLES candies! Soft, chewy, and buttery with caramel and chocolate!
Post is brought to you by VONS. The recipe, images, text, and opinions expressed are my own. #OrganicforAll