Oven-Baked Barbecue Chicken
Now that summer is behind us I’m not grilling as much my family was missing barbecue chicken.
So I made this easy barbecue chicken, complete with sweet potatoes and broccoli, that’s baked in the oven in one pan and is ready in under one hour.
The chicken turned out really juicy, tender, hit the spot, and there was zero cleanup. Love it when there’s no pan to scrub.
My secret? Reynolds® Large Oven Bags. The bag traps in moisture and natural juices to keep food from drying out so it comes out juicy and tender every time. Use the Large Size Oven Bags for meat and poultry up to 8 pounds.
I just opened the bag, added 1 tablespoon of flour (helps prevent the bag from bursting), added the chicken, sweet potatoes, broccoli, barbecue sauce, olive oil, closed the bag using the nylon tie provided, cut slits in the bag for steam to escape, placed it in a 9×13 pan, and baked.
I’ve also made the recipe by getting all the ingredients in the bag and allowed the chicken to marinate in the fridge for up to 4 hours. It’s nice to pre-assemble everything during the day and then before dinner just pop it in the oven.
And voila, perfect barbecue chicken with potatoes and a vegetable for an easy, one-bag dinner.
Oven-Baked Barbecue Chicken
This easy barbecue chicken is baked in the oven. It's juicy, tender, with zero cleanup. My secret? Reynolds® Large Oven Bags. The bag traps in moisture and natural juices to keep food from drying out so it comes out juicy and tender every time like this chicken. I added sweet potatoes and broccoli to the bag for an easy, one-bag dinner.
Yield: serves 4
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: about 45 minutes, or until done
Total Time: about 50 minutes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- two boneless skinless chicken breasts, each weighing .75 to 1 pound (about 1.75 to 2 pounds chicken total)
- 1 extra-large sweet potato, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch rounds or half moons
- 1 large head broccoli, trimmed and cut into large florets
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. To a Reynolds® Large Oven Bag, add the flour.
- Add the chicken to the bottom (back end) of bag, and add the sweet potato and broccoli towards the front. Keep the broccoli florets in fairly large pieces or they'll cook faster than the chicken and potatoes and become mushy.
- Evenly drizzle the barbecue sauce and apple cider vinegar over chicken. It's okay if some gets on the potatoes and broccoli.
- Evenly drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes and broccoli and season with salt and pepper.
- Seal bag using the nylon tie provided and place bag in a 9x13-pan or similar size roasting pan, making sure chicken breasts aren't piled on top of each other. Optionally at this point you can refrigerate entire pan and allow the chicken to marinate for up to 4 hours before baking.
- Cut six 1-inch slits on the top of the bag for steam to escape, place pan with the bag in it in the oven, and bake for about 45 minutes, or until chicken reaches an internal temp of 165F and potatoes are fork-tender. Start checking at about 40 minutes although it could take up to 1 hour to cook through. Baking time will vary based on exact sizes of chicken and potatoes. Make sure the bag will have enough room to expand while baking and won't touch other oven racks or the sides of oven. Optionally spoon extra barbecue sauce mixture from the bag over chicken and serve immediately. Extra will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
FAVORITE CHICKEN RECIPES
One-Pan Barbecue Chicken and Roasted Sweet Potatoes – Juicy chicken and tender potatoes roasted on one pan!! The barbecue sauce keeps everything super moist and flavorful! Fast, easy, and zero cleanup!
Easy Honey Mustard Chicken – Soft, juicy chicken tenders coated with the best honey mustard! Ready in 20 minutes, a family favorite, and a perfect addition to your weeknight dinner rotation!
Barbecue Chicken Pizza – A copycat version of California Pizza Kitchen’s bbq chicken pizza that you can make at home in 15 minutes! Easy, loaded with juicy chicken, red onions, cilantro, and lots of cheese!
Beer and Bourbon Barbecue Chicken Sliders – Chicken is cooked with beer and bourbon before being soaked in bbq sauce! So juicy, flavorful, easy, and ready in 25 minutes! A guaranteed hit at parties!
Baked Spicy Barbecue Chicken Wings – The easiest wings ever because there’s NO frying involved!! And they’re healthier this way, too! Tender, juicy, with just the right amount of kick! Perfect for parties and game days!
Sweet and Tangy Jerk Chicken with Caramelized Pineapple and Mango – Easy and ready in 15 minutes! Dinner that tastes like a tropical vacation is a guaranteed hit!
Post is brought to you by Reynolds®. The recipe, images, text, and opinions expressed are my own.