Chocolate Ganache Chocolate Cookies
There are chocolate chips and cocoa powder in the cookie dough and they’re topped with a rich, creamy, fudgy chocolate ganache.
It’s what a chocaholic’s dreams are made of.
The cookies are slightly chewy around the edges with super soft with tender, pillowy centers. The dough base is adapted from Soft Frosted Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Sprinkles Cookies and recently I made Peppermint Patty Chocolate Cookies with this dough. It’s my current favorite all chocolate cookie dough base.
There are two tablespoons of cream (or half-and-half) in the dough which makes the cookies creamy and moist but also makes for a very soft dough so it must be chilled before baking.
The cream also helps combat dryness which can plague chocolate cookies because of the drying effects of cocoa powder. Make sure not to overbake and you’ll be rewarded with a chocolate lover’s delight.
If you’ve never made ganache before, it’s ridiculously easy and sounds much fancier and trickier than it really is. All you have to do is heat cream or half-and-half and pour it over chocolate chips. The secret is being patient and letting time do the work for you.
The warm cream softens the chips and in about 10 minutes you can whisk the mixture smooth. The ganache is soft but not runny at room temp and hardens up more in the fridge. It’s the perfect ‘sand trap’ for lots of sprinkles. Switch up the color of the sprinkles depending on the season such as red/green for Christmas, pastel for spring and Easter, orange/black for the fall and Halloween, etc.
Chocolate Ganache Chocolate Cookies
There are chocolate chips and cocoa powder in the cookie dough and the cookies topped with a rich, cream, fudgy chocolate ganache. There are two tablespoons of cream in the dough which makes the cookies creamy and moist but also makes for a very soft dough so it must be chilled before baking. The cream also helps combat dryness which can plague chocolate cookies because of the drying effects of cocoa powder. Make sure not to overbake. The ganache is easy and perfectly traps the sprinkles.
Yield: about 19 to 21 medium/large cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: about 8 to 10 minutes
Total Time: 3+ hours, for chilling
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cream or half-and-half
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- heaping 1/2 cup (almost 2/3 cup) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup cream or half-and-half (do not use regular or whole milk, it doesn't have enough fat and ganache won't set up)
- about 1/2 cup sprinkles, or as necessary
- Cookies - To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or large bowl and electric mixer), add the butter, sugars, and beat on medium-high speed until creamed and well combined, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the egg, vanilla, and beat on medium-high speed until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the cream, and beat on medium-high speed until well combined, about 1 minute. The batter may look a little 'grainy' and almost as if it's separated, this is okay.
- Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and beat on low speed until just combined, about 1 minute.
- Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the chocolate chips, and beat on low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds.
- Using a 2-tablespoon cookie scoop or your hands, form approximately 19 equal-sized mounds of dough. The dough is very soft and I find it easiest to use a cookie scoop.
- Preheat oven to 350F, line a baking sheet with a Silpat or spray with cooking spray.
- Flatten the dough mounds about halfway, place on a baking sheet, spaced at least 2 inches apart (I bake 8 cookies per sheet) and bake for about 8 to 10 minutes or until edges have set and tops are just set, even if slightly undercooked and glossy in the center; don't overbake. Cookies firm up as they cool. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet completely. I let them cool on the baking sheet and don't use a rack. While they cool, make the ganache.
- Ganache - To a medium bowl, add the chocolate chips; set aside.
- To a microwave-safe measuring cup or bowl, add the cream and heat on high power until just boiling, probably about 30 seconds, but watch it closely because all microwaves vary.
- Pour the warm cream over the chocolate chips, cover with plasticwrap or foil to trap in the heat, and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
- After about 10 minutes, whisk the mixture smooth. Tip - If your chips are resistant to melting, you can place the bowl in the microwave and heat for about 15 to 30 seconds.
- Add about 1 to 2 tablespoons ganache to the top of each cookie.
- Evenly sprinkle each cookie with as many sprinkles as desired. Cookies will keep airtight at room temp for up to 5 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week. I'm comfortable storing items with ganache at room temp but if you're not, store in the fridge, noting cookies will dry out more in the fridge. Unbaked dough can be stored airtight in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 4 months, so consider baking only as many cookies as desired and save the remaining dough to be baked in the future when desired.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Peppermint Patty Chocolate Cookies – Very chocolaty, ultra fudgy, and loaded with chocolate chips and peppermint patties!! If you love mint + chocolate, you’ll adore these easy, soft, and decadent chocolate bombs!
Soft Frosted Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Sprinkles Cookies – Soft, chewy, very chocolaty cookies topped with tangy cream cheese frosting! A match made in heaven! Everything’s better with sprinkles!
Hot Chocolate Cookies – Rich chocolate cookies topped with a hunk of melted dark chocolate and toasted marshmallows! Best ‘hot chocolate’ you’ll ever have!
Softbatch Cream Cheese Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Cookies – Cream cheese keeps them super soft! Say hello to one amazing chocolate cookie!
Soft and Chewy Nutella White Chocolate Chip Cookies – Thick, rich, chocolaty cookies that are so soft you won’t be able to resist them!
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies – Soft, ultra fudgy and there’s NO butter and NO mixer needed! So easy and the crinkles make them irresistible!
Quadruple Chocolate Soft Fudgy Pudding Cookies – For true chocolate lovers, these super soft cookies are loaded with chocolate!
Nutella Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies – Nutella and peanut butter are used in the dough based, along with big chocolate chunks
Mounds Bar Chocolate Coconut Cake Mix Cookies – Chocolate and coconut is a winning combination in these goofproof chocolate cake mix cookies that are so soft and moist
Dark Chocolate Chunk and Peanut Butter Chip Chocolate Cookies – Rich, soft chocolate cookies with chocolate chunks and peanut butter chips
Thick and Soft Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies – Richly and intensely chocolate-flavored cookies with NO Flour, NO Butter, and NO White sugar used. They’re thick, dense, soft, chewy and almost brownie-like!
Soft and Chewy Brownie Cookies – A soft, scrumptious, and nearly flourless brownie-like batter is baked into cookies that are rich, decadent, and lined with hidden chunks of dark chocolate!
Quintuple Chocolate Fudgy Brownie Cookies – For the ultimate chocolate lover, there’s chocolate five times: Cocoa powder, melted bittersweet baking chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate chips, diced chocolate and caramel-filled truffles, and chocolate-filled Oreos!
Andes Mint Chip Soft Fudgy Chocolate Cookies – Big, thick, fudgy chocolate cookies with a hint of mint and loads of chocolate in every bite!
Caramel-Stuffed Quadruple Chocolate Cookies – Soft and chewy cookies with four kinds of chocolate and so much gooey caramel!