Fudgy Bourbon Balls
These little nuggets are a perfect holiday treat.
They’re easy, no-bake, only take 15 minutes of prep, they’re portable, you can make them days (or weeks) in advance, and just one appliance is dirtied. Love treats like this during this busy time of year.
And let’s not forget they’re chewy, fudgy, and have a bourbon in them. Candy and booze all in one bite, my kind of holiday cheer.
There’s only 1/4 cup bourbon in the entire batch so you’re not going to get tipsy unless you get carried away and eat a few dozen in one siting.
Rather the bourbon provides a depth of flavor you can’t achieve without it. You can substitute with rum or whiskey if you’re so inclined. Since someone will ask, I don’t think there’s a way to make them non-alcoholic. I recommend these or these instead.
I’ve tried these with nuts in addition to the Nilla wafers but for this recipe, I omitted the nuts. You can substitute up to 1 cup ground pecans or walnuts for 1 cup of the Nilla Wafers if you’re feeling like getting nutty.
They’re great for holiday cookie exchanges and perfect to set out at a Christmas Eve or New Year’s Eve party.
Fudgy Bourbon Balls
A perfect holiday treat: easy, no-bake, only take 15 minutes of prep, they’re portable, you can make them days (or weeks) in advance, and just one appliance is dirtied. They’re chewy, fudgy, and have a bourbon in them. Candy and booze all in one bite. They’re great for holiday cookie exchanges and perfect to set out at a Christmas Eve or New Year’s Eve party.
- one 11-ounce box Nilla Wafers, finely ground (reserve about 8 wafers that you don’t grind)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus more for dredging
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup bourbon, or as necessary (rum may be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, or to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, or to taste
- pinch salt, optional and to taste
- about 1/4 cup light corn syrup (honey, agave, or molasses may be substituted)
- To a food processor fitted with the S-blade, add the Nilla wafers (reserve 8 in case you need ‘firm up’ the mixture later) and blend on high speed until they’re finely ground.
- Add 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, bourbon, cinnamon, ginger, optional salt, and pulse to combine.
- Add the corn syrup and pulse to combine. The proper consistency for the mixture is like wet sand; when squeezed it should hold together. Add a splash more corn syrup or bourbon if mixture seems too dry; if it’s too wet add some of the reserved wafers.
- Using a 1-tablespoon cookie scoop or spoon, form balls that are about 3/4-inch in diameter. Roll each ball between your hands to smooth them out.
- Dredge each ball through confectioners’ sugar. I use a heavy coating because it tends to ‘disappear’ a bit over time and become absorbed into the ball.
- Place balls in an airtight container or ziptop bag and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, or until chilled. I prefer to store and serve these chilled although they can be stored and served at room temp. Will keep airtight for many weeks in the fridge.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
White Chocolate-Dipped Oreo Cookie Balls – Easy, no-bake recipe for the classic truffles that everyone loves!
Loaded Christmas Bark –
Chocolate Peanut Butter Stacks – Easy, no-bake treats that are a holiday favorite! They have it all: Salty, sweet, crunchy, and gooey with chocolate and peanut butter! Great for cookie exchanges or impromptu parties!
Cowboy Bark: Trader Joe’s Copycat Recipe – Just like the real thing & ready in 5 minutes. Salty-and-sweet and supremely good!
Chocolate Saltine Toffee (aka Christmas Crack) – This stuff lives up to it’s name and is extremely addictive! Salty, sweet, crunchy, chewy and a holiday favorite everyone loves! Easy recipe!
Graham Cracker Toffee (aka Graham Cracker CRACK) – Sweet, buttery, caramely, perfectly chocolaty, topped with toffee bits for extra crunch! Lives up to its name and extremely addictive! An easy holiday and party favorite!
Softbatch No-Roll Holiday Sprinkles Cookies – No-roll dough with sprinkles baked in so you don’t have to decorate cookies! Big timesavers! Everyone loves these soft, buttery cookies loaded with sprinkles!
Loaded M&M Oreo Cookie Holiday Bars – Stuffed to the max with M&M’s and Oreos! Easy, no-mixer recipe that’s ready in 30 minutes!
Soft and Chewy M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies – If you’re looking for a new M&M cookie recipe, this is THE ONE! Soft, buttery, and irresistible!
Soft Frosted Holiday Sprinkles Cookies – Tender, buttery cookies topped with cream cheese frosting and loaded with sprinkles!! Easy, no-roll holiday cookies that everyone goes crazy for!!