Carrot Banana Bread
But I don’t have this combo.
Springtime and Easter make me think of carrot cake, which I love, but since I have multiple recipes for it I wanted to change things up a bit.
Enter this super moist, springy, tender carrot banana bread. It’s bread that reminds me of cake and I’m not complaining.
It’s an easy, no mixer recipe that goes from bowl to oven in minutes. I use oil rather than butter and there’s no butter to cream and no mixer to dirty. Oil keeps bread softer and springier than butter and I prefer it.
Because both carrots and bananas have lots of moisture and if your bread takes longer (or shorter) than the time estimates I gave for baking, don’t worry. Bake until it’s done.
Carrot Banana Bread
This super moist, springy, tender carrot banana bread is bread that reminds me of cake and I'm not complaining. It’s an easy, no mixer recipe that goes from bowl to oven in minutes. I use oil rather than butter and there's no butter to cream and no mixer to dirty. Oil keeps bread softer and springier than butter. Both carrots and bananas have lots of moisture and if your bread takes longer (or shorter) than the estimates I gave for baking, don't worry. Bake until it's done.
Yield: one 9x5-inch loaf
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: about 53 to 63 minutes
Total Time: about 2 hours, for cooling
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cup sour cream (lite is okay; or Greek yogurt may be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus additional if necessary (see step 4 in directions)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup coarsely grated carrots, laid loosely in cup and not packed (don't wring out)
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (from about 2 medium/large bananas)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray one 9x5-inch loaf pan with floured cooking spray, or grease and flour the pan; set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the the first six ingredients, through vanilla, and whisk to combine.
- Add 1 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and stir until just combined; don't overmix.
- Add the carrots (grate them on the coarsest blade of a box grater), bananas, and stir to combine. The batter should be quick thick but because all carrots and bananas vary in their moisture content, you may need to add 1/4 cup additional flour. If in doubt, add flour.
- Turn batter out into the prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.
- Bake for about 53 to 63 minutes (I baked 60 minutes) or until the top is golden, the center is set, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. Tip - Tent the pan with a sheet of foil draped loosely over it at the 45 minute-mark to prevent top and sides from becoming overly browned before center cooks through. Baking times will vary based on moisture content of carrots, bananas, climate, and oven variances. Bake until done; watch your bread, not the clock and don't worry if it takes longer to bake than the baking estimates provided.
- Allow bread to cool in pan for about 15 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing and serving. Bread will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Carrot Apple Bread – Carrot cake with apples added and baked as a bread so it’s healthier! Super moist, packed with flavor, fast and easy!
Carrot Zucchini Bread – Fast, easy, one bowl, no mixer!! Super soft, moist, and tastes so good you’ll forget it’s on the healthier side!
Carrot Cake Loaf with Cream Cheese Frosting – Soft, moist carrot cake that’s baked as a loaf. So much faster & easier than baking a cake!
Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting – My favorite foolproof recipe for soft, moist, flavorful carrot cake cupcakes!
Soft Carrot Cake Bars with Cream Cheese Glaze – Super soft bars that taste like blondies packed with chewy carrots!
Cream Cheese-Filled Banana Bread – Banana bread that’s like having cheesecake baked in! Soft, fluffy, easy and tastes ahhhh-mazing!
Zucchini Banana Bread – Soft, super moist, easy, no mixer needed! Jazz up regular banana bread by adding zucchini and it’s healthier, too!
Blueberry Banana Zucchini Bread – Banana bread just got better with juicy blueberries in every bite! The zucchini (you can’t taste it) keeps it moist and healthy!