Chicken Gyro Salad with Tzatziki Sauce
Rather than making traditional chicken gyros I deconstructed things by adding veggies and turned gyros into a salad.
Healthy, easy, ready in 20 minutes, and packed with so much flavor.
Chunks of boneless skinless chicken breasts are quickly sautéed with olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, and oregano.
The chicken is moist, juicy, and has the classic gyro flavor you’re looking for.
It’s added over a bed of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, pita chips, feta, and topped with tangy, dill-infused tzatziki sauce that coats everything with its lovely cooling creaminess.
I’ve made a tzatziki sauce of sorts in the past and the basic flavors include Greek yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, white vinegar, garlic, and dill.
It’s has such a well-rounded balance of flavors and if you don’t need it all for this salad, it’s wonderful as a veggie dip or just dip some pita chips in it. No shame.
Chicken Gyro Salad with Tzatziki Sauce
Rather than traditional chicken gyros I deconstructed things by adding veggies and turned gyros into a salad. Healthy, easy, ready in 20 minutes, and packed with so much flavor. Chicken is quickly sautéed with olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, and oregano. It's moist, juicy, and has the classic gyro flavor you’re looking for. It’s added over a bed of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, pita chips and topped with tangy, dill-infused tzatziki sauce that coats everything with cooling creaminess and the flavors include Greek yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, white vinegar, garlic, and dill.
Yield: serves 4
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: about 6 to 7 minutes
Total Time: about 20 to 25 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 to 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 cups lettuce (Romaine or Iceberg recommended)
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced or halved if using cherry/grape tomatoes
- 1 cup English cucumber, diced small
- 1 cup crushed pita chips
- 1 cup diced or crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup red onions, diced small
- 8 ounces plain Greek yogurt (must be Greek yogurt, I used 0% fat)
- about 1/2 English cucumber, finely grated (about 2/3 to 3/4 cup grated cucumber; use coarsest blade of a box grater)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- pinch sugar, optional and to taste
- Chicken - To a large skillet, add the oil, chicken, evenly sprinkle with oregano, salt, pepper, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, flipping intermittently so all sides cook evenly. When chicken is about 90% cooked through, reduce the heat to medium-low, add the red wine vinegar, lemon juice (use caution because it will bubble up), and allow chicken to simmer another 1 to 2 minutes, or until done. Cooking time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts and sizes of pieces; set pan aside off the heat while you assemble the salad.
- Salad - To a large bowl, add the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, pita chips, onions, chicken and any cooking juices (loaded with flavor) from the pan; set aside.
- Tzatziki Sauce - To a medium bowl, add all ingredients, whisk to combine, taste, and check for flavor balance. Add additional salt, pepper, lemon juice, pinch sugar, etc. if necessary, to taste. Evenly drizzle sauce over the salad, to taste. Salad is best fresh. Extra sauce will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 3 days, noting it may thin out as time passes and the cucumbers release their juices.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Check out 50+ Amazing Easy Salads!
Greek Pita Chip Salad – Greek salad just got a makeover! Still uses classic ingredients like red peppers, cucumbers, onions, olives, and feta but now there are pita chips for extra crunch and texture! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes!
Chicken Orzo Salad – Juicy chicken tossed with orzo, tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, and a super flavorful lemon vinaigrette! Easy, healthy, ready in 30 minutes, and a perfect way to use your garden fresh veggies!
Apple, White Cheddar, and Grilled Chicken Salad – All the flavors just pop in this fast, easy, and healthy salad! The Honey-Apple Cider Vinaigrette doubles as marinade + salad dressing to save time!
Balsamic Chicken Caprese Salad – Juicy chicken coated in balsamic along with plump tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and basil! Easy, healthy, ready in 15 minutes! The caprese salad you’ll make again and again!
Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Quinoa Salad – (GF) – Trying to keep meals healthier & lighter? Make this easy, refreshing & satisfying salad!
Loaded Chicken Taco Salad with Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing – Fast, easy, fresh and healthy! All your favorite taco flavors in one big kickin’ salad that everyone will love!
Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Kabobs – Juicy chicken and crisp vegetables coated in a sweet-and-tangy sauce!! Great for parties or easy weeknight dinners! Everything tastes better grilled!
Ravioli and Summer Vegetable Spinach Salad – Crisp-tender zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, and chickpeas over spinach with cheesy ravioli and a dijon vinaigrette! A healthy yet hearty salad!
Spinach Blueberry Superfoods Salad – So many textures and flavors in this hearty salad filled with superfoods! Spinach, blueberries, dried cranberries, almonds, and more! Easy, satisfying, healthy, and tastes amazing!
Garden Fresh Quinoa Salad – Loaded with everything fresh, light, healthy! Great for parties, potlucks, and lunch boxes because there’s no mayo! Easy and flavorful!
Twelve Superfoods Salad – Trying to eat healthier? Make this easy, flavorful salad! Loaded with everything healthy and it tastes awesome! Kale, quinoa, edamame, blueberries, grapes, seeds, nuts, and more!
Apple, White Cheddar, and Spinach Salad with Honey-Apple Cider Vinaigrette – The flavors just pop in this fast, easy, and healthy salad!
Strawberry, Avocado, and Kale Salad with Strawberry-Apple Cider Vinaigrette – Make a kale lover out of anyone in this healthy salad with creamy avocado and juicy berries!
Honey Lemon-Glazed Salmon Salad – Coated with a tangy-sweet glaze that doubles as a light and bright salad vinaigrette! Fast, easy, fresh and healthy! An awesome 15-minute meal!
BLT Chopped Salad with Homemade Creamy Buttermilk Ranch Dressing – Fast, fresh, healthy, and satisfying!