Lime Cilantro Chicken with Mixed Rice and Black Beans
This post may contain affiliate links.
Lime Cilantro Chicken with Rice and Beans — This 15-minute recipe is made in a single skillet and tastes even better the next day! You can use it as a taco filling or enjoy as is. You’re going to love all that lime-cilantro flavor!
Lime Cilantro Chicken with Rice and Beans
I’ve always been a huge fan of both lime and cilantro, and lately I’ve been on a real lime-cilantro kick. This easy, one-skillet, 15-minute dish is packed with both. There are so many textures and Mexican-inspired flavors — you’re going to love it!
Juicy, moist chicken with tender rice, hearty black beans, sweet corn, and crisp red peppers all scented with lime and the fresh pop of cilantro. You could also work in avocado, red onions, or use it as a filling for tacos and sprinkle cheese on top. I love versatile recipes like this one!
The flavors marry over time and my family thought it tasted even better the second day. It was perfect summer day-camp lunch for my daughter.
How to Make Lime Cilantro Chicken and Black Beans with Rice
To a large measuring cup, add lime zest, lime juice, honey, olive oil, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Whisk to combine, then set aside for now.
Cook chicken in an oiled skillet over medium-high heat until it’s about 90% cooked through. Add the sauce, noting that it may bubble up in the first few seconds. Continue cooking the cilantro lime chicken and the sauce until the chicken is fully cooked and the sauce has thickened some.
Turn the heat to low and add cooked rice, black beans, corn, red peppers, and cilantro to the skillet. Stir to combine, and cook until everything is heated through.
Once everything is hot, garnish with additional lime zest, if desired.
Tips for the Best Lime Cilantro Chicken Skillet
To make this recipe super easy, I used two packets of pre-cooked Uncle Ben’s rice. You’re welcome to cook the rice yourself ahead of time in a rice cooker, but this is what I had on hand and it sped up the cooking process immensely!
I also used frozen corn and added it to the skillet straight from the freezer. You could use fresh or canned instead — again, just use what you have!
As you’re cooking the chicken, make sure to continue flipping it intermittently. This will ensure that it cooks through evenly and that it doesn’t become too browned on one side.
Lastly, use freshly squeezed lime juice, if possible. It tastes so much better than the pre-bottled stuff, and it doesn’t take very long to squeeze the limes!
More Easy Chicken Recipes:
- Loaded Chicken Taco Salad with Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing – Fast, easy, fresh and healthy!! All your favorite taco flavors in one big kickin’ salad that everyone will love!
- Sweet and Tangy Jerk Chicken with Caramelized Pineapple and Mango – Easy and ready in 15 minutes! Dinner that tastes like a tropical vacation is a guaranteed hit!
- Honey Lemon Chicken with Angel Hair Pasta – Easy, ready in 20 minutes, and you’ll love the tangy-sweet flavor! A healthy weeknight dinner for those busy nights!
- Lighter Chicken Salad – Hello to easy, flavorful, healthier chicken salad!! Goodbye mayo, hidden fat, and empty calories! You’ll never miss them in this fresh twist on the classic!
- Easy Honey Mustard Chicken — This Honey Mustard Chicken is ready in 20 minutes and features a homemade honey mustard sauce. A great recipe to have on hand for busy weeknights when you want a no-fuss, healthy dinner!
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lime zest + more for garnishing
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for sauce + 1 tablespoon for cooking chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- about 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite-sized pieces and seasoned with salt and pepper
- about 3 cups cooked rice*
- one 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn (I used frozen that I added straight from freezer)
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper, seeded and diced small**
- 3/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped; or to taste
- To a medium bowl or large measuring cup, add the lime zest, lime juice, honey, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, pepper, optional cayenne, and whisk to combine; set sauce aside.
- To a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, add chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, flipping intermittently so all sides cook evenly. Cooking time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts and sizes of pieces. Chicken should be about 90% cooked through.
- Add the sauce, noting that it may bubble up in the first few seconds. Allow sauce to bubble at a medium-fast boil for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until sauce has reduced some and chicken is cooked through. Stir sauce and flip chicken intermittently throughout.
- Turn the heat to low and add the rice, black beans, corn, red peppers, cilantro, stir well to combine, and cook until everything is heated through. Taste and check for seasoning balance, making any necessary adjustments (more salt, pepper, pinch of sugar or cayenne, splash of lime juice, etc.) and garnish with a pinch of lime zest before serving.
- Will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 4 days. Serve cold or reheat gently prior to serving if desired.
*I used two 8.8-ounce pre-cooked Uncle Ben’s Original Rice packets
**Orange or yellow peppers may be substituted
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 747Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 123mgSodium: 1763mgCarbohydrates: 97gFiber: 12gSugar: 28gProtein: 59g
Even More Mexican-Inspired Recipes:
Avocado, Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime-Cumin Vinaigrette — Everything tastes better with avocado! Easy, healthy and tons of flavor!
Easy 30-Minute Chicken Fajitas — These Easy Chicken Fajitas take just 30 minutes to make and are the perfect weeknight dinner. Friends and family will go crazy for this recipe!
Loaded Beef Taco Salad with Creamy Lime Cilantro Dressing — Think tacos, minus the shells, and with more lettuce and plenty of veggies to keep things healthier.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.