Mexican Taco Pizza
Mexican Taco Pizza – EASY, ready in 20 minutes, and like eating a taco in pizza form!! Taco-seasoned ground beef on top of refried beans with melted cheese and your favorite taco fixings!!
Imagine enjoying your favorite beef taco ingredients, in pizza form, and that’s what you have in this easy Mexican-inspired pizza that’s ready in 20 minutes.
How to Make the Mexican Taco Pizza
First, brown some ground beef with onion, add taco seasoning, and that is the main filling component of your pizza.
But before adding the taco-seasoned ground beef to a frozen pizza crust, first spread a nice layer of black seasoned refried beans. Who needs marinara or pizza sauce when you can use black beans (my favorite) instead.
Now top with the juicy taco meat, add shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, and bake.
Garnish with tomatoes, cilantro, and dive right in.
What Does The Pizza Taste Like
The refried beans are a natural complement to the taco-seasoned ground beef and onions. It’s a match made in heaven and gets even better when there’s melted cheese.
The fresh tomatoes and cilantro are great cooling contrasts to the warm, steamy pizza.
Extra Topping and Garnishing Ideas
Feel free to garnish the pizza with a bit of taco sauce, sliced avocado, guacamole, black olives, shredded lettuce, a dash of salsa, red or green onions, or whatever floats your pizza boat.
Pizza Crust Notes
The beef and refried beans make enough to generously top one big 16-ounce pizza crust, or two smaller 8-ounce pizza crusts. I made two 8-ounces crusts and bought my frozen pizza crusts from Trader Joe’s. The true net weight of the box of the two crusts was 15.55, close enough to 16 ounces.
If you’re using frozen pizza crust, use it straight from the freezer. You don’t need or want to thaw it or prebake it. Just grab from the freezer, top the crusts with beans, beef, cheese, and bake.
You could potentially use homemade pizza crust. I do have a one-hour pizza dough recipe you can use but I was even too lazy for my own recipe when I made this pizza.
You could potentially use shelf-stable, premade pizza crust, but since I have not tried that, I don’t know if you should prebake it or not.
You could potentially use ready-to-roll-out, fresh, refrigerated pizza dough like Trader Joe’s and some grocery stores sell. Or buy one pound from your local pizzeria. Again, not sure if you should prebake that or not. My guess is yes, but I haven’ tested it.
In the final analysis, frozen pizza crust is the easiest and most foolproof option here.
- Barbecue Chicken Pizza – So good and easy, ready in 15 minutes and reminds me of California Pizza Kitchen’s barbecue chicken pizza except I think homemade is better!
- Greek Chicken Pita Pizzas – Chicken gyros transformed into FAST, EASY, and HEALTHY pita pizzas!! There’s juicy chicken, homemade tzatziki sauce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and feta on pita bread!! FRESH and LIGHT!!
- 10-Minute Skillet Pizza – A FAST, EASY, and foolproof recipe to make pizza at home in 10 minutes!! Don’t call for delivery when you can make this pizza in minutes! Such IRRESISTIBLE cheesy goodness!!
- 10-Minute Grilled Pepperoni Pizza –Such an easy and fast pizza! If you’ve never tried making pizza on the grill, you need to try it! It’s foolproof, delicious, faster than calling for delivery, and pizza is always a winner!
- 1 medium sweet Vidalia onion, diced small
- 1 pound lean ground beef (I used 85% lean)
- olive oil, optional if necessary
- one 1.25-ounce packet taco seasoning
- two 8-ounce frozen pizza crusts (read blog post for crust discussion)
- one 15-ounce can black seasoned refried beans, divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheddar cheese blend, divided
- 1 Roma tomato, diced small, divided
- fresh cilantro, for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 425F and line one or two sheet pans with parchment paper or a Silpat; set aside. Note – You can bake the pizzas directly on your oven racks for a crispier crust but that is too messy/risky for me if something falls, breaks, slips, etc. I do not want to be cleaning my oven later.
- To a large skillet, add the onion, beef, olive oil if necessary, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 to 6 minutes, or until beef is cooked through and onions are soft and translucent; crumble beef as it cooks and stir frequently to ensure even cooking.
- Add the taco seasoning and stir to combine. Take skillet off the heat and set aside.
- Place the frozen pizza crusts directly from the freezer on either one or two sheet pans, depending on the exact size of your crusts and pans.
- Add an equal amount of the refried beans to both crusts, leaving a bare 1-inch margin from the edges.
- Add an equal amount of the beef mixture to both crusts.
- Add 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese to each crust.
- Add 1 cup cheddar cheese to each crust.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and crusts are as cooked through as desired.
- Add an equal amount of tomato and cilantro as desired to both crusts and serve immediately. Pizza is best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 279 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 50mg Sodium: 694mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 18g
10-Minute Skillet Pizza – A FAST, EASY, and foolproof recipe to make pizza at home in 10 minutes!! Don’t call for delivery when you can make this pizza in minutes! Such IRRESISTIBLE cheesy goodness!!
Barbecue Chicken Pizza – So good and easy, ready in 15 minutes and reminds me of California Pizza Kitchen’s barbecue chicken pizza except I think homemade is better!
Prosciutto and Balsamic Greens Flatbread – The answer to those times you should be eating a salad but feel like pizza!! Part kale salad, part pizza, perfect for FAST weeknight dinners or EASY entertaining!!
Greek Chicken Pita Pizzas – Chicken gyros transformed into FAST, EASY, and HEALTHY pita pizzas!! There’s juicy chicken, homemade tzatziki sauce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and feta on pita bread!! FRESH and LIGHT!!
10-Minute Grilled Pepperoni Pizza –Such an easy and fast pizza! If you’ve never tried making pizza on the grill, you need to try it! It’s foolproof, delicious, faster than calling for delivery, and pizza is always a winner!
Cheesy Beef Taco Pie – Your favorite taco ingredients baked into a savory, CHEESY pie!! Ground beef, tomatoes, tortilla chips, and more! Great for parties, tailgating, or EASY family dinners and everyone loves it!!
Easy 30-Minute Taco Macaroni and Cheese – Super creamy, ultra cheesy, flavored with taco seasoning, black beans, green onions, tomatoes, and cilantro!! EASY comfort food with a Mexican flair that’s a family FAVORITE!!
One Skillet Beef Taco Pasta – An easy recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes, made in one skillet, and loaded with Mexican-inspired flavors! A family favorite that’s great for busy weeknights!
Cheesy Beef Taco Dip – EASY, ready in 15 minutes, and tastes like an awesome beef taco that’s extra CHEESY in dip form and so good!! The Bakeable Tortilla Bowls are so fun! PERFECT for game day parties and get-togethers!!