Motor City Coney Island Dip
This post may contain affiliate links.
AKA Cheesy Sloppy Joe Dip. I just had to say that right away.
I don’t really pay much attention to football except for one thing: football food. Appetizers, bite-sized little things, and of course any and all dips are all right up my alley.
I’m helping to promote McCormick’s 50 Dips for 50 States effort during the professional football playoffs this weekend with this dip. The McCormick kitchens have been hard at work over the past six months creating a dip for every state. There’s a Maine Lobster and Spinach Dip, an Arizona Cheesy Chimichanga Dip, and 48 more.
I made Motor City Coney Dip to represent the state of Michigan and their team. For readers who know me, yes I live in San Diego, but Michigan is the state I was given.
It’s interesting that when most people hear “Coney Island Hot Dog” they think Coney Island, New York, but the popular food actually got its start in Detroit. A Coney Dog is traditionally topped with a savory meat sauce.
The dip is easy, ready in about 15 minutes, tastes like cheesy sloppy Joes, and it’s sure to please any crowd. I browned ground beef, added a packet of McCormick® Sloppy Joe Seasoning Mix, and after simmering I topped it with cheese and popped it under the broiler.
I cheese-ified McCormick’s original Motor City Coney Dip because in my world cheese makes everything better.
Especially when it’s lightly browned and topped with green onions for extra flavor.
- Brown meat in large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain fat if necessary.
- Stir in Seasoning Mix, tomato juice, stock, and bring to boil. (Note – Although the Seasoning Mix packet directions say to include tomato paste and water, ignore that and follow my ingredients and directions)
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for about 10 minutes or until most of the liquid has reduced and is absorbed; stir occasionally. While it cooks, preheat broiler to high.
- Transfer beef mixture to a 9-inch pie dish that’s been sprayed with cooking spray (or use the skillet the meat was cooked in under the broiler if it’s an oven-safe skillet), evenly sprinkle the cheese, and broil for about 1 to 2 minutes, or until cheese has melted and is as lightly browned as desired. Watch it closely because cheese burns very quickly under the broiler.
- Evenly sprinkle with green onions before serving. Serve immediately with toasted French bread baguettes, chips, waffle fries, crackers, or your favorite dippers. Dip is best warm and fresh.
Adapted from Motor City Coney Dip
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 515Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 149mgSodium: 784mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 45g
Beef Queso Dip – Caramelized onions, ground beef, taco seasoning, and cheese in this fast and dip everyone loves! Great for game days, parties, holidays, and events!
Loaded Baked BLT Dip – The traditional flavors of a BLT sandwich turned into an easy, creamy, ultra cheesy dip with bacon in every bite! Everyone loves this dip! It’s perfect for parties, potlucks, or tailgating!
Creamy Baked Double Cheese and Onion Dip – One of my favorite dips of all time! Stir it together in one bowl in minutes and bake for cheesy, perfect comfort food!
Loaded Baked Tater Tot Dip – Favorite baked potato fixings baked together in an easy dip that everyone loves!
Baked Spinach, Artichoke, and Mozzarella Dip – The classic dip, topped with cheese!
Easy Cheesy Chili Dip – Just a few ingredients and 5 mins is all you need for this super easy dip packed with flavor! And cheese!
Easy Jalapeño and Red Pepper Cheese Ball – Just spicy enough that the more you have, the more you want! A fast, easy, and foolproof hit!
Double Melted Cheese and Red Pepper Dip (GF) – aka Queso Dip– Comes together in five minutes in the microwave. Creamy, cheesy, with just a bit of heat!
Easy Pizza Dip – Cheese lovers and pizza fans will love this fast and easy dip!! Perfect party food that’s a guaranteed hit!
Baked Triple Cheese and Salsa Tortilla Chip Dip – Loaded with 3 kinds of cheese and baked to browned, bubbly, golden perfection!
Hot Cheesy Corn Dip – Two kinds of cheese, corn and green chiles make for an irresistible dip! Easy comfort food that’ll be devoured!
Post is brought to you by McCormick. The recipe, images, text, and opinions expressed are my own.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.