Cheezy Kale Chips

I love kale chips and here’s my recipe with a visual guide below

Cheezy Kale Chips (raw, vegan, gluten-free)

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 4 hours

Total Time: 4 hours, 10 minutes

Ingredients:

1 c cashews (soaked for a few hours)

1 red bell pepper (de-seeded)

2 Tbsp Lemon Juice (juice of 1/2 a lemon)

3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast, aka Nooch (use 2 Tbsp if you want them milder and less cheesy)

1/2 Tsp Salt

Dash Black Pepper

Optional: 1/2 Tsp of Agave

Optional: Splash of water if mixture is too thick to blend

1 bunch kale, washed and trimmed

Directions:

Blend all ingredients (other than kale) together in your Vita-Mix, blender, or food processor. (I processed my cashews for 30 secs alone, first but not necessary)

Place kale in a large mixing bowl and pour sauce mixture over kale and massage it into the kale very well using your hands.

Dehydrate for 4 to 8 hours, or until desired crispness is reached, flipping intermittently.

Or, bake in a 200F oven (optionally keep with the door ajar) for about 3 hours, or until done and crispy, flipping intermittently.

Blend all these ingredients together  in your Vita-Mix, Blendtec, or food processor.  I processed my cashews for 30 secs alone, first.  But not necessary.

After blending

Smooth consistency but not perfectly pureed is how I prefer it

Wash and de-stem one large bunch of kale and tear into pieces and pour the mixture on top

Massage in with your hands & Put on Teflex lined screens to Dehydrate

(last time I made them I didn’t have my Teflex screen liners and let’s just say the chip coating mixture leaked everywhere.  Not so fun.  I was way more prepared today!)

It’s unseasonably hot here today, like 100F.  I don’t need a dehydrator, I could just put my kale chips on my back patio table and roll that way.  Kidding, sort of.

But into the Magic Box they went.

It has been suggested to dehydrate at 105 F for 12 hours.  I have a tendency to dehydrate a little warmer and for less amount of time, but that’s because I am impatient and want to start munchin’ my chips!

….After their time in the Magic Box, I finally got to enjoy!

Thin-n-crispyraw vegan kale chip

Some of them still have a lil of the chunky red pepper action going onbecause the coating mixture was smooth-ish but not totally pureed as I noted

And if they make it a container, you can put all your chippy’s into a reusable container or just devour 2 screens worth at once.  I won’t tell.  Promise.  They are savory, cheesy, crunchy, and I totally wouldn’t blame you!

Have you ever tried or made kale chips?

78 Responses to “Cheezy Kale Chips”

Bekah — October 29, 2009 at 2:38 am

yeah i'm digging the review and i really want to try them now! still have to make that mouse though. the avocados in my fridge are calling the vita-mix's name.

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl — October 29, 2009 at 4:25 am

You're wild with those desserts, girl! :-)

And this is for entry #9 for the ProBar contest.

arielmaya — October 29, 2009 at 5:50 am

Your raw chocolate pudding looks amazing!

Emma — October 29, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Those deserts look heavenly. I'll have to try them when I'm back in the states!

I never new that all the probars were vegan – that's super cool by me!

(Entry 8)

Carbzilla — October 29, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Enty #3 – Post on your review of ProBar.

PS. Not that it will help me win ProBars but Skylar is too cute copying mommy!

PS. I made the Vegan Mousse but the recipe I had was one avocado, one banana…..Sooooooo good. I keep forgetting about it. Delish!

danicahummus — October 29, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Entry 1: THanks for the great review! I love the nutrition stats!

Olivia — October 29, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Entry #2, the fact that you loved these fruitian bars makes me want to try them!!

Ellen — October 30, 2009 at 2:19 am

the sweet and salty part of these bars sounds SO good. yum!

Melissa — October 30, 2009 at 8:15 pm

The new Fruition bars sound great, I would love to try them!

P — October 30, 2009 at 9:07 pm

love the nutrition stats and taste of probars! your avocado "icing" is so intriguing!

sue — October 31, 2009 at 5:24 am

i love the sweet & savory probars…that pretzel one is my fave!

Nutritious is Delicious — December 5, 2009 at 4:19 pm

I think it's about time I tried ProBars! Two Thumbs up must mean that they are pretty darn GOOD! :D

Amber Shea — May 28, 2010 at 12:23 am

Just made this! :] I've made a similar one before that had peanut butter, but I'm pleased that even without the PB, this tastes great!
    However, after a few spoonfuls, I remembered the batch of PB cookies I made this week that didn't turn out as well as I'd wanted. So I threw a couple of those in the Vitamix and blended them in briefly. Pb-cookie-chunk-chocolate-mousse! So I ended up with some PB in there after all, haha.

Maria Bjørg Jepsen — January 17, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Hi Averie :)
    I'm a new fan of your site – especially all the incredible gorgeous, irresistible recipes. I've just made the chocolate mousse and my reaction was just like you foretold….. I could NOT believe what my purely happy taste buds just told me there!!! SO smooth, rich, creamy and authentic. Actually much better, I think!
    My boyfriend is a chef and I can't wait to surprise him with this awesome treat. Maybe he won't even be able to guess the base? ha ha :)
    THANK YOU!
    Love, Maria

Joe Williams — January 26, 2011 at 11:29 am

This blog is very well written, keep up the good work!

Cyndi Gadhia — February 17, 2012 at 10:20 pm

wow! those kale chips were so yummy that only half the leaves even made it into the dehydrator!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 17th, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Ditto :)

Or that make it out of the dehyd in true crispy form after all the taste-testing and sampling over the many hours while they are dehydrating…

Dudette — April 8, 2012 at 2:22 pm

What an incredibly amazing idea! I just recently started experimenting with kale chips, trying to spice it up with different things like salt, pepper, cinnamon etc. This is certainly a must try!

Stacy — August 31, 2012 at 12:39 am

Ah, now this recipe I can totally approve, even without tasting! I almost always prefer salty to sweet and these sound great.

Stacy

Valerie — December 20, 2012 at 9:59 am

Love! *bookmarked*

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 20th, 2012 at 10:59 am

So old but you know what, the recipe still works :) And it makes a killer dip, too! For any kind of veggies, etc!