Thanksgiving: Gratitude

Happy Thanksgiving, Friends!!!!!!!!!!!  I want to wish everyone a sincerely wonderful Thanksgiving Day, and a wonderful kickoff to the winter holiday season.  I want to take this time to thank each and every person who reads my blog, who leaves me positive & uplifting comments, who tells me that my blog has helped change them for the better, and thank you to all of you who write me telling me that you love my recipes and that I am helping you transform your dietary choices and your life.
Such high praise, and thank you, sincerely.  Without all of you who read my blog, I wouldn’t have a blog.  So thank you, and I am grateful for you all!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to write a list of some things I am grateful for on this holiday and I will get to that, but first…

I’m glad you enjoyed my Everyday Eats post yesterday.  Keeping things simple the day before the big cooking & eating fest was the name of the game.  Foods like overnight soaked oats

Green Salads

And Kale Salads with Fresh Veggies for dinners were where it was at.

And either Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

Or Raw Vegan Almond Butter Cookies for dessert

All these foods comprise the simple, easy, pleasurable, stress-free way of eating I like best.  Not just the day before Thanksgiving, but in general, easy, simple, fresh, short ingredient lists, straightforward recipes, home-made, but not kitchen-enslaved, foods are how I like to cook and eat.

For Thanksgiving, I made a turkey for Scott.  He’s not vegan, but 95% of the time goes along with my vegan fare.  He requests very little culinary-speaking but did request turkey, so I wanted to honor that request and I made one.  It was a very conscious choice, not just mindless eating nor embarked upon on whim.  I made a small bone-in turkey breast. (It was not appetizing for me to handle the raw bird, but I cloth-diapered Skylar so there is very little that makes me squirm anymore.  Sorry, about the TMI).

I also made Gravy, Stuffing, Sweet Potato Fries, Baked White Potatoes, Salads, and Dessert.  We had enough food.  No worries there.  And I will post pics of everything in the next day.  For now, I am trying to keep this post really simple because not gonna lie, I did bust a hump in the kitch today and don’t have it in me to get all the pics up now.  Tomorrow, they’ll be up, promise.

Here are some of the things I am grateful for:
My Husband
My Daughter
Being a homeowner
Having a body that I can use to do yoga, run, dance, walk, and move freely about the world
My yoga practice
Being hired to teach yoga
My blog
My blog readers
Finding the path that’s right for me in terms of dietary choices
Friends I’ve made in the blogosphere
Friends from my childhood
Having plenty of “stuff”
Not having to worry about how to pay the electric bill or pay for groceries
Being able to take vacations with my family
Learning & being able to cook in a whole new way after food intolerances
Being appreciated by my readers
Living in a warm climate
My brain
My creativity
My sensitivity
Meaningful connection with others
Blue skies
Sunshine
Clean Water
Clean Food
The People Who Love Me

I could go on and on and on about what I am grateful for but my Tip of the Day is to Practice Gratitude.  Be grateful for that which you do have, focus on that.  Do not dwell or obsess on that which you don’t.  It serves no purpose and will hinder you from seeing, feeling, observing, and being grateful for all that you do have.

Yoga today is full backbend, Urdhva Dhanurasana.  Open your heart center and let the love flow in.  Let yourself receive healing energy, peaceful vibes, and love from the Universe.  And then give back.  Be grateful.  Be giving.  Be loving.  Be Thankful.  Namaste Friends!

I think everyone ’round the Blogosphere has been asking What are you Grateful For?  And I will ask you now, too.  Tell me something you’re grateful for.  Do you have an easy time practicing gratitude or do you find yourself dwelling on things you don’t have or things you wish you had?  I think we’d be lying to ourselves if we said, oh, it’s always easy and I never compare, I never have a hard time just accepting that which I have and not wishing for something else.  How do you get past this?  It’s so important to realize we’re only human, take a quick minute for your pity party, but then get back on track with a positive mental attitude, being grateful, and welcoming in the love and light that surrounds us.  That’s my strategy at least, tell me about yours.

Stay Tuned For My Thanksgiving Food Spread Photos & Recipes…

No Responses to “Thanksgiving: Gratitude”

*Naomi* — December 2, 2009 at 3:10 am

i think i would WAY prefer your cookie dough balls to the cookie dough balance bar! i dont like the grainy taste thats left in my mouth after protein bars! and yours look phenom!

interesting facts about the full moon-who knew your physical energy is much stronger?! very cool!

i certainly do not htink this stuff is hocus pocus, BUT i also don't know enough about it! so thank you for the info :) love it

have a great night averie xo

GF Gidget — December 2, 2009 at 3:27 am

My hubby jokes that I am "solar powered"! I NEED the warmth of the sun in order to maintain balance in my life.
    PS- I think your desserts are WAY better than anything you can buy in a store!

Molly — December 2, 2009 at 3:33 am

I have to admit, at first I was a little skeptical about the whole moon thing, but now that I think about it, every time it rains here my mood just plummets.
    I'm an Ecology & Evolutionary Biology major and science never ceases to amaze me. and what you said about the magnetic fields actually makes a lot of scientific sense! definitely interesting and something i've never thought of before!
    and as usual, the food looks amazing.

Caitlin@TheTwentyFifthYear — December 2, 2009 at 3:35 am

WOW holy yum with those peanut butter cups. I have a serious crush on Reese's and I am SO pumped to get these ingredients and make these – just bookmarked the recipe. I guess I am in the dark, I have never heard of Nooch!

And I definitely am a believer in the effects of the moon – I work in health industry and see it in people every time! Love reading your blog!!

Cindy — December 2, 2009 at 3:42 am

OH I am a firm believer in the moon's affect on us all. Meghan at Making love in the kitchen wrote an ebook on aligning your cycles (ahem) to the new moon as opposed to the full moon…who NEEDS that time of the month to hit at full moon? NOT ME

even my name "Cynthia" means "moon" so I am no stranger to those vibes. OH I SO FEEL IT. and I feel the calm of new moon. I actually really love the ebbs and flows of our environment and each other.

yah…hippie dippie but I love it so.

Thanks for you write up on it…
    I made another batch of your holiday vinaigrette (for me) because I left my Thanksgiving batch with our hosts. I have had a spinach / pomegranate salad with that dressing yesterday and today. Oh so refreshing and light!

DANGIT…I just realized I went to Sprouts and forget to find powdered sugar. boo.

I am dying for some of your mint treats!
    I'm off for some sugar cookie tea of my own. Sprouts ran out already..and I am addicted to Candy Cane Lane and I ran out yesterday. sniffles!

hope your evening is relaxing! I am off to do some Pilates now!
    xo

Michelle — December 2, 2009 at 3:45 am

mmm the Sleigh Ride tea has been ALL over the blogosphre and I am SO curious what it tastes like! I'm always afraid of buy a box of new tea because i'm so afraid that they're going to be bad and that they'd go to waste!! I'm glad you endorse the tea though…that adds an uber lot of credibility! heheheh

AHHHH those caramel popcorn bags I've seen at Trader Joe's and have ALMOST bought them twice. I always manage to replace it with another snack though…like cinnamon sugar pita chips!! :)

P.s. TOTALLY agree with you on the balance bar. Protein content is great but ingredient list SUCKS!! I'd stick with your homemade balls any day!

Natalia — December 2, 2009 at 3:55 am

wow those full moon theories are totally applying to me right now!!

I HAVE to live somewhere sunny too. Right now my health is not the best, and I feel 10x worse on a rainy day. It's been noticed in patients with chronic fatigue that bad weather affects us negatively.. something to do with the electrical currents in the atmosphere during bad weather and the dampness in the air.

i love reading your blog :)

taleoftwovegans — December 2, 2009 at 4:04 am

My mom's a family dr., and she's definitely mentioned that back when she was doing her time as a student in the emergency room, there was a marked increase in the number of loonies on nights with a full moon. Weird, huh? Loved reading this post! :)

Sophia — December 2, 2009 at 4:07 am

whoa. I'll never look at a full moon the same way again. Those are fascinating facts…I wonder if any of those are really facts? Have they been proven?

Pure2Raw Twins — December 2, 2009 at 4:12 am

Thanks for sharing info on Full Moon…it explains a lot! I will be more aware of myself and thoughts next time there is a full moon.

Devan Geselle. N — December 2, 2009 at 4:22 am

that is SO crazy about how the full moon effects everything! crazy! i know i could hardly sleep last night.. i was up at 5am :( for no apparent reason.
    went back to bed, though.

i still need to make those PB cups. hmm.. creme de mint pb cups…? muahaha

lovee youu

greensandjeans — December 2, 2009 at 4:28 am

I will say that with my experience with kids and my experience in retail, people become full on crazy during a full moon! I've had a class full of cookoo bananas kids and a store full of nutso people. So interesting!

TheFitnessFreak — December 2, 2009 at 4:48 am

So that's what's going on!!! Darned full moon! I should have known because my son had a lunar calendar that he's been keeping for science and I didn't pay attention that it was a full moon. I think I'll try deep breathing : )

I totally forgot about those pb cups! I am so making them tomorrow!

Have a relaxing night and go to bed early! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Nicole

katiejo — December 2, 2009 at 5:08 am

Aww, too bad the pictures didn't come up of my creme de menthe bars! Thanks for the shout out though; I brought some to some friends today and they loved them too! Next up are the PB cups!

ktbwood — December 2, 2009 at 5:22 am

girl i like yo tats!! i got one too!!

yeah your cookie dough balls prob cant even be compared to the balance bar.. im sure they dominate it

SO interesting about the full moon! i feel like i just got 10 new wrinkles in my brain!

Carbzilla — December 2, 2009 at 6:00 am

I'm a believer. You could babble on about the moon all day to me.

When I first started going to my Reiki lady (who's also a nutritionist), I didn't even know if I believed in Reiki. I used to question it every time I got on the table. But she's SO fantastic and such an amazing person (beautiful, yoga practitioner as well, such a wonderful cheerleader really) that I stopped questioning because I always felt better and wonderful things were happening in my life.

Sometimes you just have to go with it.

My trainer cancelled for tomorrow night so I'm getting a pedicure. I'll use my toe muscles to stay in the hot water!

Mama Pea — December 2, 2009 at 6:45 am

Confession time: Cookie Dough Balance Bars are on my list of non-vegan foods that I'll eat. I think they are just nostalgic for me because I ate them in law school on a daily basis. The girls love them too. We don't eat them everyday, but man, they are a treat to us.

My girls were acting CRAZY today. We are talking tantrums about putting on a shirt. I'm blaming it on the moon!

Erica — December 2, 2009 at 10:15 am

Hey girly! I used to love those balance bars until I looked at the ingredient list (10 miles long). No thanks! Cool info about the full moon- I never knew any of that!! Glad to hear your yoga classes are going well. I want to take one!

Jessica — December 2, 2009 at 11:24 am

This info was awesome about the full moon. I could see it last night and it was freaky!!!

I do like the cookie dough balance bars, even tho I dont eat bars very often. But I think I'd love the cookie dough balls!!!

Have a wonderful day love. :) <3

VeggieGirl — December 2, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Gotta love the "full moon" effect :-D

Abbys Vegan Eats — December 2, 2009 at 1:14 pm

I totally believe the moon has an effect on us. It was so freaky last night because it was cloudy.. looked straight out of a movie!

Im not a fan of bars with more than like 5 ingredients.. im doing a Luna Review tonight.. blah too much stuff!!

Im a huge fan of Skylars snack plate.. too cute. :)

shelby — December 2, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Hmm, interesting info about the moon. I have trouble sleeping too, next time I'll check the phase to see if it's a full moon!

Lauren — December 2, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Love all your full moon info! It was so beautiful early last evening! I knew it was going to be a full one so I didn't answer the phone when my mother in law called! HAHAHAH!

Your blog made me hungry, as usual!

Julie — December 2, 2009 at 2:33 pm

ha! i love those full moon facts :) i'm glad that next time im bitchy and it's a full moon i can blame it on that.

on the other side get it gurrrrrrrrl when its a full moon haha

eaternotarunner — December 2, 2009 at 3:19 pm

I just had a balance bar. Feel the same way, love the protein, not the laundy list of ingredients :-/

K from ksgoodeats — December 2, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Thanks for all the full moon facts! That could explain why work was such a drama-fest last night (carbon monoxide, hospitals, etc.).

I prefer your cookie dough balls too! Thanks for the noochy explanation – I still need to get my hands on that stuff.

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) — December 2, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Aww yea I didn't know you moved to Arizona–that would have been nice! Well please let me know if you come back to visit San Diego…we'll have to get together for some healthy eating! :)

emptynutjar — December 2, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Those are interesting moon facts. I have a lot of insomnia and the other things you cited also, so I hope the full moon does not intensify it :)! Have a nice day Averie.

Paula — December 2, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Thank you so much for the moon astrology tidbits. I really needed that and I didn't even know it.
    Can I just say that yoga pose is INSANE! You rock!
    I am feeling the let down of not enough sun. I too, need to be around nice full sun/clear skies. I moved to Portland 3 years ago. I have been so sad lately because I know I can't live here much longer. It is to dark and cloudy to often for me. It effects so much; body and mind.
    That's a DEF on the energy. Sometimes my husband thinks I'm crazy when I talk about intuition and energy. I just tell him to listen to his heart. It's all about being "intune."

shannonmarie — December 2, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Thanks for the full moon facts. Now I know why I haven't been able to sleep. I've been wired at night.

I need to try that tea. I drink a lot of that stuff this time of year. I already had the gingerbread one. Yum!

Mary — December 2, 2009 at 6:46 pm

Hi Averie,
    I have been lurking around your blog for a while now and truly am inspired by your recipes!

I have always believed the full moon has an effect on my mood and sleep patterns. As I have become more intuned to my body, I really notice it. Very restless sleep this week and extremely anxious. Makes for a really good work out:)

I also need to be where there is a lot of sunlight. I feel so tired by 6 PM because its already been dark for an hour:(

I love reading your blog!
    Mary

Bekah — December 2, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Ohhh I love the blogosphere because not only do I get food inspiration, and new friends, I get school lessons as well!

This moon stuff is so interesting! Last year my best friend and I kinda went through some highschool drama together at the same time, and I swear every month, I'd be like, Oh yep- its a full moon! I wonder what will happen this time around?! And no joke- something always happened!

Good to know.:)

MelissaNibbles — December 2, 2009 at 9:40 pm

The cookie dough balls and sugar cookie tea would look amazing!

I love the facts about the full moon. I haven't been sleeping well, so maybe the moon is to blame!

Enjoy your night!

Pomegranate — December 2, 2009 at 9:47 pm

As far as I know none of those full moon facts have any truth/proof behind them at all, unfortunately. Here is a recent article by a scientist talking about some of those myths: http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/090925-full-moon-myths.html.
    As for astrology, I trust this astronomer when he says it has absolutely no basis in reality because astronomers know a whole heck of a lot more about planets than I do! Here is his explanation: http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/astrology.html

Anyway, your food looks amazing, as usual!

Jenny — December 2, 2009 at 10:12 pm

you are such a wealth of knowledge! here's praying for more full moons when Ginge is home so I can get my hanky panky on ;) except minus the conception – ack! not like that's possible for me right now (meh)

ANYHOO…

thanks so much for the info, love. I'm excited to see how my body responds to a full moon – though knowing me I'll probably psych myself out and make myself restless and anxious.

Happy day snookums!

Alison — December 2, 2009 at 10:30 pm

I used to be nutso over astrology, I still like it but I haven't been into like I use to be. Still found this post very interesting of course and was TOTALLY feeling a little cranky just yesterday! *shaking my first at the moon* ;)

Janetha — December 2, 2009 at 11:03 pm

that is the only flavor of balance bar i like. i try not to eat them though! your balls are definitely better i am sure (TWSS) haha. thanks for the tid bits about the moon! i think astronomy and space stuff is so fascinating. marshall is really into it so he drags me along to those imax movies about space. don't be sorry about not making bloggie rounds. you are a blogging machiiine. take a break! xoxoxo

Thinspired — December 2, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Hi Averie! I have not tried that flavor of Balance Bar yet, but it seems like everyone raves about it! I agree though, your homemade dough balls sound much more appetizing and natural!

I hope I remember to feed my daughter healthy snacks the way you do :) I assume you are raising her vegetarian?

Food Makes Fun Fuel — December 2, 2009 at 11:17 pm

You're so right about black coffee verse tea, except for that reason I can't do tea. I feel like I'm drinking hot water, I think I've successfully killed my taste buds haha

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) — December 3, 2009 at 3:48 am

Thanks for the moon info. I have been really paranoid the last couple of days while driving- super careful, super defensive and perhaps that's why! Also I've felt very physically strong. Mentally eh. Both my Dad and aunt have complained about fuzzy thinking, but that could also be chemo brain as they are both having the exact same treatment at the exact same time. Yikes.

Anyway. To quote Charlotte from TGFE, Chillax about the blogs. :-)

Hayley — December 3, 2009 at 4:16 am

The full moon stuff you posted is SO fascinating…I did not know that about the word lunatic! I am a true believer in all of this stuff..hocus pocus or not I think the energy we put out, the universe, etc all works together. I am exactly the same way as you about living in a place with sunshine. I always felt (and still feel) really happy whenever I'm in CA or Vegas or a place where the sun is shining. We have had so much rain here in NC lately and I feel so much more depressed. I HATE IT!! Fortunately enough tomorrow I think it will be sunny again.. :)

Your posts are always so intriguing!! Thanks for sharing all this info…

Hayley — December 3, 2009 at 4:17 am

I forgot to say that the yoga pose is incredible…wow…

Jess (Fit Chick in the City) — December 4, 2009 at 9:19 pm

I love all the "hippie dippy" stuff! Its really fascinating. I think everyone can feel the effects a full moon if they just listen, even slightly.

Anonymous — April 29, 2010 at 1:44 am

Averie:
    So love ur blog and every yoga pose u do.You must be like a tender bamboo flex everyway u want,wish I could.You have motivated me to do yoga training at some point.I would lke to write to you about that if u dont mind and have the time in ur crazy schedule..:)
    I totally agree with the full moon facts,My son who had chronic eczema used to be really bad a day before and on the full moon day and believe it or not there are homeopathic medicines for that and it has helped my son.
    Loved your post..and i also love the choclate powder try it with frozen mango,peache or bananas makes a nice smoothie.
    Sharanya