Seeds Only Crackers – Vegan and Gluten Free

crackers

Remember when I told you I went to Trader Joe’s and found this coffee and mentioned I picked up a few other things to make raw crackers with?

This is what I purchased: Flax & Sunflower Seeds  (I had the Chia Seedson hand)

I wanted to create a raw vegan cracker recipe that was:
1. Nut Free.  Nuts can sometimes be too heavy and I wanted to omit them.
2. Grain Free.  No oats, rice, millet, flours, etc.
3. Seeds Only (Mary’s Crackers are Seed-Based)

4. Of course my recipe has to be vegan, gluten, and soy free.
5. Recipe Has to taste fantastic in order make me put these down and grab my cracker recipe instead!  And It does!

[print_this]

Seeds Only Crackers – Vegan and Gluten Free
1/3 C Chia Seeds
1/3 C Flax Seeds
1/3 C Sunflower Seeds
1/4 C Agave (or Honey, Maple Syrup, or combo)
1/4 Tsp Allspice (or use cinnamon only or pumpkin pie spice)
1+ Tsp Vanilla Extract
2-4 Tbsp Water if needed
If you want these really sweet, add a pinch of stevia, to taste.  For those without an insane sweet tooth, you likely won’t need to.

If for some reason you don’t want these as sweet and want them more “neutral”, reduce the 1/4 cup of sweetener with an increased portion of water.

For savory crackers, omit the Allspice, reduce the sweetener/use water and add garlic, salt, onion powder, curry, black pepper, chili powder, cayenne, etc. instead.

You can make these totally raw by exclusively dehydrating and omitting the oven, and using only truly raw/never roasted seeds.  Or you can bake in a 300F oven for about 30 minutes per side, but watch it closely!  Use common sense and don’t burn them.  Burnt seeds stink!  Or use a lower oven temp/longer duration than 300F, i.e. 200F.

[/print_this]

Directions
Combine first 3 ingredients and Blend.  Don’t pulverize, a quick pulse or 10 secs in the Vita.  You are not making mush.  Leave some texture.

Note the texture after blending

Add Sweetner (agave/maple/honey), Allspice, Vanilla

Blend Again if it’s too thick, add 2-4 Tbsp Water.  Use your judgment.  Not thick like cookie dough batter but not as thin as pancake batter.

Spread onto Tefflex-Lined Dehydrator Screens or Onto a Cookie Sheet if you’re using the oven

Visual reference using my hand to gauge recipe quantity
Spread about 1/8th of an inch thick.
I would say half the thickness of your pinky.  Scientific this is not.

I dehydrated at max temp which was 155F for about 6-7 hours.

It was still very pliable and not at all crisp, like crackers should be.

Reminded me of a seedy crepe at this point

I flippedit over….

….and said Screw It.  It’s time for the oven.  300F on a cookie sheet for 30 minutes.

Dehydrators are for those that are patient.  After 7 hours, I had none.

This was more like it.  Crispness in 30 minutes!

Immediately after oven removal, the cracker mass was still pliable, like a hot pizza would be.  Score it immediately because it will firm up fast.

A knife or pizza roller will work

Put in a container and enjoy!  Based on how dry I made these, they will keep for weeks in a container.   They won’t last that long ’round your house with grabby fingers though.  This batch is already gone!

Thickness is just a teeny, tiny bit thicker than a Mary’s Cracker…

..And made with non-pulverized seeds, no nuts, no grains.

Just sweet, crispy, perfection!  They are sweet but not overly so.  Almost like a Mary’s Cracker meets a Graham Cracker meets a Ginger Snap.  And they are very crunchy.  Like a Gingersnap.

The recipe is a keeper!

When are you making these?

I think I can possibly stop buying these (which are seed-based crackers)…

…Because now I can make my own!

Maybe try my Raw Vegan Kale Chips and yes, you can make these in the oven, too.

Raw Vegan Kale Chips

Do you have  a favorite cracker or chip?

23 Responses to “Seeds Only Crackers – Vegan and Gluten Free”

Claire — February 15, 2012 at 4:42 am

I was looking for so long to find a Chia seeds crackers recipe without dehydrator! I’ve tried this recipe with mashed bananas as well instead of agave, they are delicious ! Thanks for your wonderful ideas !

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 15th, 2012 at 11:13 am

Glad you’ve been enjoying the recipes and thanks for writing telling me and for reading!

Emily Flowers — February 21, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Hi,

Just came upon your website after I made my own kale chips for the first time! I am paleo (but do still cheat with cheese, butter, dairy. Am super proud though that I switched to Almond milk), so I’m looking for recipes that are grain free and use a sweetener I trust. Still not sure about sweeteners. I am going with Stevia for now, but everyone seems to cook more with honey, maple syrup, agave, etc., on these forums, and I’ve heard that those raise your blood sugar. Not sure what that would be in comparison to Stevia though. Also, not sure how much I should eat even treats with healthy sweeteners. Anyways, thinks for the great recipes. I can’t wait to try out this cracker recipe as I’ve been making my own salsa and guacamole lately and need something to dip it with!

Angela — April 4, 2012 at 7:40 pm

A-Ma-Zing! Love, love, love the seed crackers! Made mine with maple syrup, no spices, and added sesame seeds. They are so good. Thank you!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 4th, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Oh I love comments like this…that post is pretty old and so glad it wasn’t lost forever :) And that you made these and are loving them! Funny, my next post is going to be about…dehydrators :)

mariel — June 3, 2012 at 9:28 am

we always have marys crackers around here. my mom really needs to make this recipe!!!! :)

Michael — August 6, 2012 at 12:23 pm

As much as I love Mary’s, they are quite pricey. Costco has a bigger box at a more reasonable price, but even then. I am looking for a recipe to replace them, and this seems to be the one. Looking forward to trying it!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 6th, 2012 at 1:31 pm

please LMK how they work for you – if making them more savory, make sure to use spice blends that are more savory b/c as the recipe is written, they’re more of a sweeter/cinnamon-ey cracker – keep me posted!

marla — August 26, 2012 at 8:22 am

Great recipe! Will be linking back to this in my post tomorrow.

sharlene — March 27, 2013 at 1:17 am

Hi Averie

Just wana say i chanced upon your website and im totally hooked on your recipes. This all seeds only crackers look devine and im so gonna try making them this weekend. i LOVEEE all your photos. im trying to eat clean so only trying out mostly the vegan recipes you have. Anyway, keep your recipes coming! Much love from Singapore.

stella — May 11, 2013 at 10:24 am

just baked mine but without flax as it loses a lot of its nutrients when cooked, so l replaces it with sesami seeds and l added spices and salt ….YUM !!! Thanks for the inspirtion!!!!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 11th, 2013 at 12:51 pm

So glad you enjoyed them and thanks for LMK!