Handful

Skylar made this little “soap box” with her handprints on it in preschool

Complete with a mini bar of soap in it and Germs 101 note affixed

I know one day I’ll look back on these handprints and remember how small 4 year olds really are

Even though, yes, she’s extremely tall for her age.  100th percentile, just like I was as a kid.

But til then, she gave me the ole Talk to the Hand when I was trying to take her picture in the bright sunlight

I took my little handful inside and we ate a few handfuls of homemade trail mix

And I would like to have a few handfuls of any of these:

Vegan GF Peanut Butter Chex Mix, aka “Puppy Chow”

Addictively wonderful  Big.Time.

Raw Vegan Caramels or Nut Butter-Filled Caramel Bites (3 ingredients and so easy)

Granola (Vegan, GF)

Vintage photography but I promise this recipe is great even if the photography isn’t.  You’ll never need to buy granola again and you can make liberal modifications/substitutions.

Chocolate Coconut Oil Protein Popcorn

No Bake Vegan Rum Cake Balls

Scott and I got a little tipsy from rum cake balls in the Caribbean which inspired this recipe

No Bake Vanilla Cake Batter Chocolate Truffles

Are there any foods in your house that every time you walk past your kitchen you grab a handful?  Or want to grab a handful of every time you pass by?

The healthiest thing I love to grab a handful of is probably edamame

I always keep some edamame cooked and in a tupperware in the fridge and I will frequently graze on it.

Sugar snap peas are another fave.  Provided I don’t get my toes rolled over in the process of buying them.  Thanks for all your kind words and equally Can’t Believe She Said That (or Did That) stories.

Frozen mango chunks, frozen grapes, or a handful of berries or fruit are other handful foods.

But let’s face it, it’s usually more fun to grab a handful of chocolate chips or something sweet.  Right?

No Bake Coconut & Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites

Thanks for the Hoodie & Leggings Giveaway Entries.  Keep ‘em coming!

29 Responses to “Handful”

Mimi (Gingersnaps) — September 28, 2011 at 12:53 am

Oh damn, I’m so sorry about your foot! PC my ass, old people suck sometimes — some have a false sense of entitlement just because they are old. Heh, back when my dad was in college he was working at a grocery store and some crazy old bat broke his toe when she ran over it with a cart. She even told him she’d done it on purpose because she thought he’d smushed her bread (he hadn’t).

If you are going to lose a nail though, the pinky toe nail is the best. It grows back very quickly (I’ve lost mine so much it’s a wonder it still grows back).

My “grab food” is apples. Except red delicious. Any other apple than that can make me borderline klepto. No idea why!

Kathryn — September 28, 2011 at 1:32 am

I can’t believe your story about the man and his shopping cart – some people are so rude!

Also, I can’t believe Skylar is only 4, she looks so much older!

I try not to have things around the kitchen that I can grab a handful of because I know that one handful always leads to another and then another!

cathy — September 28, 2011 at 3:11 am

that soap box craft is super cute – i loved doing stuff like that at school when i was little.
    i need to add edamame to my grocery list…i like it, just never have it around!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — September 28, 2011 at 3:45 am

Just read about your foot- what is wrong with people?!

Tasha @ Voracious Eats — September 28, 2011 at 4:29 am

Yay for 100th percentile kids! I was one, and I looooove being tall. My mom is only 5’0 or 5’1 and my dad is 6’2. Glad I got the tall genes.

Oooh I want some puppy chow! That is one of my all time favorite desserts, and it always reminds me of xmas. I’ve got to make some.

I am sorry to hear about your toe! I can’t believe that man said that to you. Incredibly rude!!! I might have been tempted to punch him in the nose and then say that it wouldn’t have happened if he had been wearing protective facial gear!

katie @ KatieDid — September 28, 2011 at 4:51 am

Skylar looks so beautiful especially with that sunlight pouring in. The only thing that comes to mind is tortilla chips… love my salty fix. But I don’t have too many snack worthy foods on hand, mostly foods I have to prepare into a meal, which makes snacking a bit more of a process than just grabbing a handful of something.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — September 28, 2011 at 5:20 am

It’s hard to believe she’s 4. My niece turns 7 this month!! Where does the time go???

Alexa @ SimpleEats — September 28, 2011 at 5:34 am

I’m always grazing on nuts, chocolate chips, peanut butter and sunflower seeds!

Katie — September 28, 2011 at 5:35 am

Puppy chow. Man, is it that time of year already?!?! SWEET!!

LizAshlee — September 28, 2011 at 5:35 am

Skylar is so beautiful..I have a 4 yr old niece and I am going to see her mid-October and so excited!! You have the most delicious snacks…YUM! I love making homemade granola bars/balls to snack on…lately they have been the go-to, plus a piece of fruit…apples…perfect!:)

Have a great day!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — September 28, 2011 at 5:37 am

So cute! I still have my “hands” saved up from various crafts I did when I was her age…fun things to keep!

I always grab handfuls of nuts! Can’t get enough!

dragonmamma/naomi — September 28, 2011 at 5:41 am

Trader Joe’s chili and lime cashews. I try not to touch them unless I’m cooking (they’re great in stir-fries) but they’re always calling my name!

Jeanette — September 28, 2011 at 5:56 am

Love all these little handfuls – your daughter is adorable!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — September 28, 2011 at 6:47 am

I really can’t believe Skylar is only four!! Crazy how quickly they turn into little adults!!

Angela@veggievinyasa — September 28, 2011 at 7:17 am

I try not to keep snacks laying around since I tend to overdo it, but I love anything salty and crunchy or chocolate chips (or both together!).

Amelia — September 28, 2011 at 7:32 am

Are there any foods in your house that every time you walk past your kitchen you grab a handful? Or want to grab a handful of every time you pass by?

Definitely bananas, frozen or not. And maybe a little bit of dark chocolate peanut butter on them… mmm.

Also, almonds and raisins. I just can’t stay out of them. And maybe pretzels.

And probably soon some of your vegan puppy chow and chocolate chip cake balls!

Why is food so good?!? :) :)

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — September 28, 2011 at 8:16 am

OH I HAVE to try those rum balls!

Marla — September 28, 2011 at 9:18 am

Awwww, that is so sweet what miss Skylar made. We will miss those little hands someday. Such a cutie she is :)

Krista — September 28, 2011 at 11:09 am

I love it when my kids bring artwork home! One year at Thanksgiving Noah my a turkey with an apple and his hand prints! If there are crackers/crunchy things out on the counter when I get home from work I end up grabbing a handful….not sure why….guess it’s just cuz they’re there!

Brittany — September 28, 2011 at 11:49 am

Skylar is so pretty!!! I want everything on this post. I love frozen mango :D

tweal — September 28, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Yikes, I hope your toe heals up soon! I too can’t believe he said that!

Every time I come to your blog, I am reminded of all the delicious looking little treats that I want to try making. Cake balls and bars and chocolate and truffles – that is my kind of snacking. But if I have that stuff in the house I will eat it all. So I’ll just drool over your photos for now :)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life — September 28, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Yum…my handfuls are grapes usually. So refreshing and sweet. Love sweet green ones or red, depending on the season. But those cookie dough balls always call to me, every time they’re posted! Delish!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — September 28, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Oh boy, for some reason all of those desserts look AMAZING right now. I feel like I need to get up and make them all. I love grabbing handfuls of wasabi peas or crystallized ginger! Give me something with a little spice :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — September 28, 2011 at 8:00 pm

What a cute box, how fun! ANd great recipe inspiration, I need to try more of your vintage vegan recipes.

1. Grapes, figs, bowls of chopped watermelon, carrot sticks and plenty more I can’t think of at the moment. :-)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 29, 2011 at 6:07 pm

In the summer I will often grab handfuls of snap peas.