Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Oatmeal White Chocolate Cookies

It’s no secret that I love peanut butter and in baking there’s something magical about adding peanut butter to recipes.

It just makes things better.

It makes baked goods moist, rich, and decadent in a going-to-stuff-my-face kind of way.

For the peanut butter allergy folks, you could most definitely use sunflower seed, almond, or cashew butter in these cookies.

I also adore oatmeal cookies.

Did you see my last cookie creation?  Chewy, brown sugary oatmeal raisin cookies

When they are done right, I think that oatmeal-based cookies trump most other cookies.

Today’s cookies have oatmeal in them even though they don’t have much of an “oatmeal cookie taste”.

The peanut butter flavor is more dominant than oatmeal flavor.

When it comes down to it, though, I’ve really never met a cookie I didn’t like.  Oatmeal raisin, peanut butter, chocolate chip, snickerdoodle, molasses.  They’re all good.

Except dry cookies.  Those are not so good.  Don’t break any baking rules and make them dry or overcooked.  Or put nuts into baked goods.  Blech.

So when I saw Jo-Anna of A Pretty Life in the Suburbs’ recipe for Cookies ‘n Creme Stuffed Oatmeal Cookies, she got my wheels turning for this month’s Secret Recipe Club recipe reveal, and it steered me in the direction of using oatmeal.

I’ve also been eyeing the Cooks Illustrated Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe that I’ve read rave reviews about.  Ever since 2009.  I based last week’s oatmeal raisin cookies from the melted butter technique they used.

Because really, you can do no wrong with melted butter and peanut butter combined with oatmeal and white chocolate.

At least not in my book.

I loved these cookies

And now it’s time to geek out with food science trivia which likely explains why I loved them.

It has to do with sugar ratios, melted butter, and eggs.

The Cooks Illustrated website compared their ‘new cookie’ (2009) vs. the classic Nestle Tollhouse cookie (1950s I’m guessing) in this little chart (source)

Sugar: by having a higher proportion of brown sugar to white sugar, you will get a chewier cookie.  That’s a big bonus for me.

• TOLL HOUSE RECIPE: Equal Amounts Brown and White SugarA 1-1 ratio of brown to white sugar creates a cookie that’s neither crisp nor chewy.
  • OUR RECIPE: More Brown Sugar Using more brown sugar than white makes for a chewier cookie.

Butter: By melting the butter you get a chewier cookie, less of a cakey cookie, and enhanced flavor.  Yes please.

• TOLL HOUSE RECIPE: Creamed Solid Butter.  Creaming butter creates a cakier texture in cookies.
  • OUR RECIPE: Browned, Melted Butter.  Melting butter contributes to chewiness; browning it enhances flavor.

Eggs: Reducing egg whites increases chewiness and reduces dryness.  Score.

• TOLL HOUSE RECIPE: 2 Whole Eggs. Whole eggs contribute to a drier texture.
  • OUR RECIPE: 1 Whole Egg, 1 Yolk. Eliminating one egg white also boosts chewiness.

Take that, Alton Brown.  You’re not the only one who can geek out.

Another thing I loved about these cookies was that I didn’t have to use an electric mixer.

I did everything by hand and with one spoon.   That’s the beauty of the microwave melted butter technique.  You don’t need to whip or cream anything together.  Just melt ‘n stir.

I am still pining away for that Kitchen Aid but so far the Mixer Fairy hasn’t paid me a visit yet.

Not being bothered to use any sort of mixer in this recipe was a nice bonus.

It’s nice having fewer dishes to do.  Beaters, bowls, paddles.  It all adds up.  I hate doing dishes and do everything in my power to keep them to an absolute minimum.

I’d rather spend my time baking and cooking or sampling the raw dough eating the finished product than doing dishes.

And between me, Scott, and Little Miss Cookie Monster, we made quick work on these

Just typing this post and looking at these pictures makes me really want another one.  Or three.

They are chewy, sweet, rich, and the peanut butter flavor is enhanced even more by the addition of peanut butter chips.  I bet butterscotch chips would also be excellent in these, too.

The oatmeal makes them soft

And the white chocolate chips make them sweet

This wouldn’t be an “Averie dessert” if there wasn’t peanut butter in the recipe or white chocolate.  <– Those two links showcase all my peanut butter recipes and all my white chocolate recipes in one place.  I will be adding these cookies to both sections.

Have I convinced you to make these yet?

They’re a new favorite of mine.

They’ve earned a special place in my heart.

And in my stomach.

Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Oatmeal White Chocolate Cookies -  Combining 3 favorite cookies into one so you don't have to choose which to make! Easy, no-mixer dough!

Print Print Save Save

Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Oatmeal White Chocolate Cookies

Combining 3 favorite kinds of cookies into one so you don't have to choose which to make - peanut butter, oatmeal, or white chocolate. Soft and chewy, with just enough texture from the oats and plenty of white chocolate in every bite. Fast, easy, no-mixer required recipe. One of my favorite cookies of all time!

Yield: 22 to 24 cookies

1 egg + 1 yolk

2 tsp vanilla extract

1 1/4 c all-purpose flour

1 c old fashioned whole oats

1/2 tsp baking soda

3/4 c white chocolate chips

1/2 c peanut butter chips (or use butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, toffee bits, raisins, nuts, seeds, etc.)

Directions:

In a medium-sized microwave safe bowl, melt the butter and peanut butter together.  Power on for 30 seconds, take out, stir.  Repeat.  Should take no more than about 90 seconds.

Add the brown & white sugar to the melted butter & peanut butter mixture and stir.  Set this is the freezer for a couple minutes.

Remove from the freezer (or just wait for the mixture to come to room temp on it's own) and add the egg + yolk (you just don't want to add eggs to that hot mixture.  We don't want scrambled eggs here), add the vanilla extract, and stir.

Then add the flour, oats, baking soda and stir.  You should have cookie dough consistency dough and if you don't, either add a touch more flour if it's too wet or a touch more peanut butter if it's too dry.

adapted from my Oatmeal Raisin Cookies & Cooks Illustrated

Finally, add the white chocolate chips and peanut butter chips and stir.

Roll or spoon out golf ball sized balls onto a cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.  They spread but not tons.

Bake at 325F for approximately 10-12 minutes.  (I like very underdone and soft cookies so I baked for 10 minutes)  The cookies will look pretty raw even at 12 minutes and that's ok.  Take them out and let the sit and cool well before eating.

87 Responses to “Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Oatmeal White Chocolate Cookies”

Marla — October 20, 2011 at 10:11 pm

These cookies look great girl! Thanks for sharing the link with me today :)

Julia — October 21, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I loved the look of these cookies (simple ingreients, easy prep-work, no nuts), so I had to make them (less the white chocolate, ’cause it doesn’t live in my house). I’ve got to say: big win! They were extra easy to make (especially the clean up part thanks to the two dish prep), and they are so good! I haven’t even let them cool yet, and already I’m not sure any of them are going to make it into work with me.
    Thanks for the great snack; I’m sure I’ll be making these again soon.

amanda — October 21, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Just got done making these. Omg they are delicious :) i didnt have any peanut butter chips, so i used some reeses pieces, mini and regular sized ones. Very fall-ish :)
    Even my hubby likes these and he rarely likes any of my homemade cookies!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — October 21st, 2011 at 7:06 pm

you’re the second person this afternoon who has told me they loved these. THANK YOU! for the field report and thanks for LMK you made them. And yes, reeses pieces would be spectacular in them…or really any kind of chips, butterscotch, toffee bits, white, milk, PB, you name it :) And you made mini ones…cute!

Lori — October 30, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Averie, thank you!! I have to tell you that I made a batch of pumpkin oatmeal cookies yesterday that were a disaster (not your recipe ofcourse!). They looked fine but tasted awful (and they’re now in a bag for the seagulls!). Well I made YOURS today and I was in heaven! I was so excited about not having to whip out my electric mixture – a first! I absolutely loved the texture of this cookie – nice & chewy but moist at the same time. Instead of peanut butter chips I used dried cranberries (craisins) along with the white chips and they were fabulous. Keep up the great work girl :) On a diff. topic…I went out and bought a donut pan from Bed Bath last week. Love it! O.k. and one more thing, I was lucky enough to be in a town with a Trader Joe’s and picked up some sunflower seed butter – good stuff!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — October 30th, 2011 at 3:08 pm

so glad to hear these were a success and that you got the results you were looking for!

I bet craisins would be awesome with the white choc chips. sounds great.

I hate it when I make other people’s recipes and they are flop. At least the seagulls will be happy.

Donut pan…I broke my in this weekend, stay tuned and glad you love SFSButter too!

Hannah — November 21, 2011 at 7:59 am

Ok, this recipe is amazing!! I just made it and I’m thrilled for a perfect cookie recipe… I used crunchy peanut butter which added a little bit of nuts but not too much. Thanks for a winner!

Raychel — December 8, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I gave these a go tonight. They are really yummy but sadly I overbaked mine =( Totally my fault… we recently moved and I am getting used to a new oven plus cooking with gas instead of electric. I should have taken your suggestion for a more underdone cookie though since that is how I like mine as well. At any rate, they are still pretty yummy and I can’t wait to make another batch and work on getting the perfect time for them in my oven.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — December 8th, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I hate new ovens…I have moved 10 times in 10 years and every time I just about get used to one, we move. And with cookies, things can go from under to over baked in literally 90-120 seconds so just stand in front of it next time..and good luck.

Thanks for the field report.

These are probably my fave cookie on my blog so I hope you try again to perfect your oven temp b/c it will be worth it.

Bobbie — January 22, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Your pictures are so amazing. I could taste that cookie just from the pics.

Sally @ Sally's baking addiction — March 10, 2012 at 5:49 am

Made these Averie!!! Used butterscotch chips. My bf brought them to work and they disappeared! Posting about them next week! Have a great Saturday! Hugs, Sally

Moni — August 27, 2012 at 7:03 pm

WOW! Used this recipe to make cookies for a friend and it was super simple to follow! The thing I liked most was it didn’t call for a big amount of any ingredients but it made a ton of cookies. I think I got around 30 average-sized cookies. I had to use Nutella since I ran out of PB, but with this recipe you have wiggle room to play around. Next time I might do an almond butter and add some orange zest. Great post, love your stuff!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 27th, 2012 at 7:26 pm

This is the highest praise you could give me: doesn’t call for a ton of ingredients, makes plenty, there’s wiggle room, super simple to follow and they were a hit. You have just touched on 100% of my goals when I post recipes – thank you so much for the feedback! Glad you made them & loved them. This recipes happens to be in a three-way tie for my fave cookie recipe of all time, ever. I love them too!

Julia — August 30, 2012 at 6:08 pm

These are the best cookies I have ever made. I read your “science” behind the making of these and I thought it was so interesting. I’ve always said that baking is like chemistry class, and you’ve found an amazing experiment! Thank you for this recipe!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 30th, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I love comments like this – thank you for making them and glad you had such phenomenal success with them! I love it when that happens and glad you enjoy my food science in the post!

Kendall Jones — October 3, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I made this recipe over the weekend and just LOVED these cookies! I posted on my blog this week: http://kendallandkeith.blogspot.com/2012/10/peanut-butter-oatmeal-white-chocolate.html
    Thanks for sharing! It’s our new favorite cookie :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 3rd, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I love them so much too! They’re probably my fave cookie on my whole site & glad they were a hit with you, too!

MaryAnn — October 7, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I made these today for the first time! I found the directions very easy to follow! They were a bit too sweet for my taste. Next time i will use less sugar and less white chips. But overall they really are delicious. I love the combination of oatmeal and peanut butter!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 7th, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Glad you tried them and yes, you can reduce the granulated sugar down slightly and reduce the amt of white choc chips without issue for next time. Glad you liked them – they are my fave cookie on my blog!

April Bean — October 9, 2012 at 9:58 am

WOWZA!!! These are good! Thanks for sharing. I added milk chocolate chips in addition to the white ones.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 9th, 2012 at 10:33 am

So glad you like them – they’re my fave cookie on my whole site! Glad you added some milk choc chips, too. The more the merrier!

Mak Mich — October 18, 2012 at 11:16 am

Is there anyway I could make these without the oats? I have everything but the oats and I’m too lazy to go to the store :) Could I just use more flour? Thanks!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 18th, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I’m sure you could add flour until you get a proper dough consistency; I love oats and the texture they provide and these cookies aren’t the same for me without them; but in theory, yes they will ‘work’ without oats and using more flour.

• Gizelle replied: — December 20th, 2012 at 11:26 am

I made these yesterday, and they came out wonderful!

angela @ anotherbiteplease — January 17, 2013 at 8:04 pm

just pulled these out of the oven…i’ve ate 2…made for the purpose of taking these on weekend family getaway with four other families…it is going to be really hard to SHare! they are so good…love that melted peanut butter taste!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 17th, 2013 at 9:19 pm

They’re probably my fave cookie on my whole blog! I love that you made them (awesome choice!) and that you’re gobbling them up. It’s only Thursday. I don’t think they’re going to make it to the weekend :)

Donna — January 27, 2013 at 3:14 am

I am a new follower of your fantastic blog…and believe you to be the guru of all cookie-dom…really. Question..I live in France, and I wonder what “Type” of flour corresponds to bread flour in your must-be-made chocolate chip cookie recipe? Here..every flour is “typed” by number..”Type 45 to 65″ are generally considered the regular baking flours..whilst Type 110 is considered to be similar to Whole Wheat pastry flour…I want to do your recipe(s) justice..and I so love that you are an unabashed fan of white chocolate!..I thought I was the only one!!…Loving your detailed explanations…incredibly helpful and appreciated. I simply cannot tell you how your blog, writing, instructions and photography impress me!
    Have a lovely weekend!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 27th, 2013 at 3:29 am

I don’t have any idea about the French system of flour numbering, but you’d want to use the flour that you’d use to make bread with. White bread that’s crusty, or like a baguette or a firm, chewy, roll.

Not a light, soft flour, which we’d call cake flour or pasty flour. And NOT wheat! That has low gluten, you want high gluten. Not anything labeled wheat, pastry flour, cake flour, soft flour; you want a ‘hard’ flour with as much gluten as you can get. Bright white :)

Thanks for the compliments on my blog, writing, recipes, etc! So appreciated!

And you know, if you can’t find ‘the right’ flour; just use what you’d always use to bake cookies with, but not wheat. Must be white!

Sara @ fitcupcaker — February 5, 2013 at 12:25 pm

wow these look amazing….not so healthy (so def a treat) but amazing! I cant wait to try them! I found your blog from haveanotherbiteplease.com!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 5th, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I never think of cookies as ‘healthy’. I think of them as something I like and makes life much more fun :) Thanks for stopping by!

Eydie Okland — February 22, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Just made these, they were really easy and delicious. I appreciate the Science behind the chewy-ness of cookies. I will be keeping this in mind for my future recipes, thanks for sharing that.

* one thing I changed, I reduced the White chocolate to 1/3 cup (I don’t like them too sweet), and I added a generous pinch of salt with the soda.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 23rd, 2013 at 11:21 am

Glad you had a chance to try them and loved them! Reducing the chocolate chips to suit one’s needs is an easy tweak and glad it worked for you!

Sheri — January 17, 2014 at 7:35 am

I just came across this recipe on Pinterest!! They look & sound amazing!! I would love to try these today but noticed I only have quick cooking oats … I’m sure they are different or recipes would just call for oats but do you think these would work? I hope so!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 17th, 2014 at 1:32 pm

I haven’t tested it with quick oats (which behave more like flour than they do oats) so if you do try them, you’ll want to start with less than the amount called for in the recipe since they’ll dry out and bulk up your dough faster, more like flour.

Sheri — January 18, 2014 at 9:00 am

ok thanks so much for responding … guess I need to go shopping first :) can’t wait to try them though!!

Gabby — January 21, 2014 at 8:20 pm

I found these on Pinterest. Your recipes are always awesome and these cookies did not disappoint. Thanks for sharing your amazing skills and recipes :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 22nd, 2014 at 12:10 am

Thanks for the kind words, Gabby! Glad you enjoyed these and my other recipes, too!

Stephanie — February 2, 2014 at 8:31 am

Spectacular cookie! The texture is wonderful. When they first come out of the oven they look too puffy to be the chewy goodness that they become when they cool. They are good as is, but we opted to use all PB chips for the second batch and we liked those even more. My kids want to try with chocolate chips – we’ll see – I’m worried it will overpower the pb goodness. My husband says they taste like chewy nutter butters.

The only thing I did differently is dark brown sugar because I don’t have light brown. So feel free to make that substitution if you need to. You won’t be disappointed!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — February 2nd, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Glad you love them and I agree that “they taste like chewy nutter butters” – great analogy! Glad your tweaks with the chips & dark brown sugar worked out well!

Avra-Sha Faohla — July 9, 2014 at 3:37 pm

These were DELICIOUS! I don’t have peanut butter chips, so I just left them out rather than replace them with anything because I didn’t want anything complicating/overpowering the flavors you’ve already got going in these cookies. And I loved them! Yum! They were pretty sweet, though. Maybe next time I’ll use less sugar. Or maybe not. :D

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 9th, 2014 at 4:18 pm

These are some of my fave cookies ever and I put them in my first cookbook! Glad you loved them!