Coconut Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Almonds

I wanted to give Skylar’s teachers and a few friends of mine a little something homemade for the holidays.

Knowing that cookies, brownies, and chocolate this-or-that goodies are very plentiful this time of year, I decided to get nutty to go in a different direction and roasted some almonds instead.

Roasting these nuts was a continuation of the Butter Up My Husband Project since he goes ga-ga for roasted almonds and maybe he’ll spring for a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer for me.

I can dream.

So far I haven’t gotten that stand mixer.

But Skylar’s teachers told me they liked them and so did my friends so that was a success.

[print_this]

Coconut Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Almonds (Vegan; Gluten, Soy, & Dairy Free)

1- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted (or olive oil, grapeseed oil or other preferred oil if you don’t like coconut)

1 tsp cinnamon

3 tbsp white sugar + pinch more after roasting

1 c almonds (I used smoked but raw, roasted, salted, plain, smoked; use what you have and prefer)

Optional, all to taste:

1 tbsp+ shredded coconut flakes

pinch ginger

pinch nutmeg

pinch cardamom

pinch brown sugar

Directions: Preheat oven to 325F.  Combine all ingredients except for the almonds in a bowl and mix.  Add the almonds to the oil and spice mixture, and toss to combine.  Spread almonds in a single layer on a parchment, foil, or Silpat-lined cookie sheet (for easier cleanup) and roast for 15-20 minutes until lightly toasted, or until desired toasting and browning level is reached.  Watch them because sugar burns so keep an eye on them.  Allow to cool slightly and serve.  Top with a pinch more sugar, coconut flakes, or other spices, as desired.  Will keep in an airtight container or jar for week(s).

Double, triple, or quadruple recipe as desired if making for a party or making extra in advance for leftover, for gifts, etc.

[/print_this]

If you have more of a sweet tooth than a savory tooth when it comes to nuts, these are for you.

And if you want to deepen the flavor, add some warming spices to them like ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, garam masala, or whatever floats your nutty boat.

Or add brown sugar.  That will cause them to become more caramely like cinnamon and sugar roasted chickpea “peanuts”.

The more brown sugar you add, the more caramely and saucy things will become which is my preference but I kept these nuts drier because not every loves goopy saucy nuts

Scott’s more of a dry nut guy.  Yes, keep the nut jokes coming.  It’s okay.  I know everyone’s mind is in the gutter.

If you have more of a savory palate when it comes to nuts, try Rosemary Chipotle Roasted Almonds

Or just go to town on the cinnamon ‘n sugar variety.

1. Are you making any homemade gifts this year?

Either food or baked gifts, crafts, sewing gifts, a photo book you made, etc.?

I am so inspired by all the things I see on Pinterest from crafts to food.  More “inspiration” than time to create that’s for sure..

2. If you’re making food items for others or as a gift, do you have a go-to or a signature item you like to give?

I never know what to give people so just go with what I feel like making that day and what I think they’ll enjoy but an never quite certain.

I hope that old adage is true, ‘the best gifts are the homemade kind’.  Sure, I’ll go with that and hope for the best.

P.S. The winner of the Enjoy Life Giveaway is Claire @ Live and Love to Eat.  Congrats, Claire!

3. Any Black Friday Shopping for you?

I didn’t set foot in the stores and actually tried to take advantage of a few rock-bottom online deals I saw on a couple items, but the items I wanted were sold out.  At 12:05am!

Have a great Holiday Weekend!

61 Responses to “Coconut Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Almonds”

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl — November 25, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Coconut-cinnamon YUM!

I went black friday shopping for myself (you’ll see in tomorrow’s post). That’s probably not the proper thing to do, but it was fun. ;)
    And I have always wanted to make cranberry-white chocolate biscotti, but have never tried – as gifts and for my own coffee. This might be the year to do that.

Amanda — November 25, 2011 at 5:18 pm

These sounds so good! I love coconut and I’m always looking for a reason to use my giant tub of coconut oil.

Also, those chickpea “peanuts” are going on my must-make list. I’m obsessed with bbq roasted chickpeas and can’t wait to try a sweet version! They look incredible.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 25th, 2011 at 5:49 pm

The “peanuts” are sooo addictive! They are sweet like candied peanuts. You gotta try em :)

Mariel — November 25, 2011 at 5:55 pm

these look so good!!! love it Averie!

Alyssa (Down To Earth) — November 25, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I do love this idea of giving roasted nuts instead of cookies or candy this holiday season…it’s such a charming and traditional gift. Plus,like you mentioned, there’s so many ways to spice them…there’s an option for everyone.
    As for holiday shopping, lately, I’ve been eying some Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) tickets for my parents…I tend to think experiences are always the best gift.

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca — November 25, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Mmmmm these ones look even better than the last! (Only because I have an insatiable sweet tooth).

I did actually go shopping today. I figured because I’m in Canada, I’d be safe. That was dumb >.< haha. But I grabbed two presents, and some flour & vegan 'butter' for holiday baking and headed home. Just polished off some cookies and about to dig into wine :D
    Enjoy your weekend!! <3

Sara — November 25, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I AM doing a lot of baking for gifts this year. As I’m heading into Postgraduate studies, I have to get used to being on a budget for… a few more years. The only downside is that you can’t really make stuff too far in advance..

Sara — November 25, 2011 at 6:47 pm

BTW, I love the photography in this post, particularly the first pic. It just looks ‘festive’ but without being too literal. It’s a happy holiday pic, without trying too hard.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — November 25, 2011 at 6:55 pm

That’s a wonderful idea for a gift, and for a recipe! I love, love, love seasoned and sweetened nuts. I could eat a pound at a time… and probably have, haha.

Girl, you totally deserve that mixer! We have one in red and they last foreverrrrr! Seriously. My parents had at least 3 or 4 of them between the house and business for about 20 years–longer if we kept them! The red one we have is almost 7 years old and looks brand new despite using the hell out of it. I am tempted to get a new color when we buy a house. Two can come in handy when you’re being a mixologist of the sugary persuasion. ;)

I haven’t been at my computer much this week, trying to take it easy on the strain that doesn’t want to go away. :(

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — November 25, 2011 at 6:57 pm

PS. I learned something so valuable today: The lower the ISO on your camera, the less grainy/blurry. Do you know I had mine set at 1600 thinking that more was better? I swear I read somewhere that it was!! I took a test shot with my tripod set at 200… HOLY DIFFERENCE, yo! You probably know this from your workshops, but I feel enlightened now, lol!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 25th, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Yes lots of pro photographers will not shoot if they need to have a higher than 400 ISO. In order for my pics in my kitchen to turn out, I will shoot with a 640 ISO. The jump on my camera is 100, 200, 400, 500, 640, 800…

500 is too low for my afternoon photos I’ve found, sadly. But yes, the lower you can go, the less grainy. Glad you had the lightbulb moment!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List — November 25, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Skylar has some pretty lucky teachers!! These seem easy enough for even me to make!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — November 25, 2011 at 7:58 pm

These are a great gift idea! Roasting in coconut oil is genius. I’m obsessed with anything and everything coconut, I can’t believe I didn’t think to do nuts in it yet! I’ve never done homemade gifts before but I’ve been thinking about it for this year mostly because I really don’t know what to get people anymore. Everyone has everything they want and need (a good problem to have) and I always feel clueless on what to get them. they would all like some cookies or nuts though :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — November 25, 2011 at 8:05 pm

These look wonderful and simple, awesome job!

1. Yes, probably kale chips or custom photo books.
    2. And raw vegan snack or dessert with a long shelf life.
    3. I did browse the mall, but I was not out early with the nuts. :-)

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — November 25, 2011 at 8:17 pm

OH those look yummy!!

Hannah — November 25, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Having just made Ashley’s maple roasted almond butte,r I can’t help imagining these turned into a nut butter!!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco — November 25, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Good luck with the Butter Up Your Husband Project. It’s bound to work eventually. You know how I got my stand mixer? I very casually put te Overstock.com sale price of the mixer I wanted (in green) on my mother’s chair in the morning. And at dinner. And in her bed.

Very subtle. That’s my thing, you know.

Erica — November 25, 2011 at 9:26 pm

What an amazing Gifty! I plan to make something homemade for kaylins daycare teachers! I shopped today-but only two stores and later in the day. Still had amazing deals!

Jt Clough | Big Island Dog — November 25, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Awesome recipe to add to my home made gifts this year. For the most part it will be coffee we grew and roasted in our first year here in Hawaii. It’s awesome, 100% Kona coffee. It’s been a real experience. Just picking the last of this seasons cherries (beans). Lots let to roast.

No Black Friday for us. Decided to participate in White Friday and do something for someone else while spending no money instead. :)

Aloha wags!

katie — November 25, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I was just debating the finer points of nuts iwth my dad and brother yesterday. We each have very distinct and strong opinions – I prefer dry roasted, unsalted; my brother likes anything sweet (honey roasted), and my dad…well, he’ll eat them all, but like the super oily, super salty ones.

My brother would LOVE these almonds. But, we are all more into the basic and boring peanut. Or cashews. That, we could agree on.

Nathalie — November 26, 2011 at 2:25 am

Ohhhh just what I needed as I have a bag of almonds to use up :-)
    I am determined to avoid any kind of crazy christmas shopping, spending crazy amounts of money or rushing around this year. I really want to make some homemade gifts and treats… we’ll see how that goes…

lauren@spicedplate — November 26, 2011 at 4:03 am

I am making most of my gifts this year — I paint and draw so that comes in handy! We did go shopping downtown yesterday, and bought a used book from a local bookstore — we figured that was a safe bet!

You could seriously make a business selling these online or in stores — they look so delicious and professionally done! ALthough giving them as gifts is super nice, too!

Jackie — November 26, 2011 at 5:04 am

You are awesome. I love almond everything, and I bet these are fantastic still hot from the oven. I’d gift them, but I’d probably have to sample each batch and…well…it’s just too risky.
    Thanks for another good recipe!

Bria @ West of Persia — November 26, 2011 at 8:16 am

What an elegant and tasty gift idea. Yeah, I did buy a $50 itunes giftcard online for $45. That was the extent of my Black Friday deal-wrangling. I looked at some online deals, and yep, you’re right, they were sold OUT. Boo.

Katie — November 26, 2011 at 9:11 am

These look delicious! I love the addition of coconut flakes!

And I really dislike shopping, so no Black Friday for me. I think I’ll try to make as many gifts as I can this year!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — November 26, 2011 at 9:38 am

Mmmm I love just about anything with a sweet, sugar-cinnamon-y glaze!! I would definitely add in the optional nutmeg and brown sugar. Coconut oil to hold it all together is an awesome idea, too!

Lauren — November 26, 2011 at 9:55 am

LOVE toasting and roasting my own nuts!

Amber K — November 26, 2011 at 10:08 am

Definitely no Black Friday shopping for me! Insanity. I totally miss almonds, wish my body could tolerate them! But walnuts and peanuts rock. And I totally have to your chickpea “peanuts” because caramel and sugar is just about the greatest thing ever.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — November 26, 2011 at 10:39 am

Love cinnamon almonds! I will be making and jarring spaghetti sauce and maybe more of my chipotle cranberry relish again. I think homemade gifts are much more special.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 26th, 2011 at 11:49 am

Oh your chipotle cran relish sounds awesome….I don’t remember seeing that one. Thanks for the reminder to look for it on your site because…yum!

Clare @ sweetnsimple — November 26, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Oooo I love cinnamon almonds.. and I’d do anything for a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer! This year I plan to make baked gifts, haven’t decided what I’m making yet :)

Ela — November 27, 2011 at 5:05 pm

So cool! I’m planning on making nut/seed/dried fruit candied mixes for a good part of my holiday gifts. This sounds like a good recipe. I’m guessing it wouldn’t work as well in the dehy because you want the sugars to caramelize–am I right?

Spent Black Friday in the airport, and honestly didn’t feel like I missed anything!

I hope you get your mixer!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 27th, 2011 at 10:19 pm

well that and it would take about….36 hrs and by that time the urge to eat them has long since passed. Im more of a 20 minute gratification girl :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — November 27, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I still have to make those chickpeas – they looks so sticky and goooood!

Michaela — November 27, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I just made roasted almonds the other night and actually put some in my salad. It was so good. I must try your recipe next time!
    I am always giving away cookies. Everybody loves them and I am known for standing in the kitchen for 8 hours straight (baking christmas cookies.).

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather — November 28, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I am all about homemade gifts! I was going to make honey roasted peanuts for my sweet nut, but I’ll give these a try too! They sound delicious!!

Pretty. Good. Food. — November 28, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Wow! So easy! Gonna have to give these a shot :)

Healthy Juicer — November 29, 2011 at 7:05 am

I am not familiar with coconut oil. Do you buy it at Whole Foods or Trader Joes? Are there any brands that are good?

Jen — November 29, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Yum! What a great idea for a homemade present other than the typical cookies that are usually given. I too am looking for more out of the box homemade gift ideas!

Rachel @ Bakerita — December 4, 2011 at 12:49 pm

These are the best snack ever!
    I could eat roasted almonds all day everyday, and I love that you used coconut oil! I’ve been a sucker for coconut oil, coconut butter, and coconut flour lately. This is right up my alley!

Kait — April 22, 2012 at 5:49 pm

A-friggin-mazing!!!! Another great recipe…thanks Averie!

Kelly S. — November 2, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I just made these cinnamon roasted almonds today and although they tasted very good, the coating did not adhere at all! I used the exact measurements of everything in the recipe and after 20 min they were still wet and nothing was sticking to them. I put them in for longer and the coating finally started to crisp in a puddle underneath all the nuts, leaving them naked! Anyone else have this issue or any idea on how to solve this problem? Thank you!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 2nd, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Hi Kelly
      Thanks for trying this recipe and it’s a couple years older and since then, I’ve created these and the coating is amazing and you won’t have any issues with it sticking. I’m sure the nuts you made taste great (mind did too with that recipe) but the coating doesn’t adhere as well. Try these instead (and you can skip the heat if you don’t like that part)