And We’re Off

The suitcases are packed.

The passports are tucked in my purse.  And thank God Scott’s arrived.

The new Camera + Computer Backpack is loaded up and I can tell already that it will serve me well.

In the past few days I’ve gone to:

Target for a cheapie hair dryer and a few toiletries and pre-trip odds and ends

Bed Bath & Beyond for a Baking Supplies fest.  Gotta bring things down to bake with!

Trader Joe’s

Ralph’s

Bank

Rite-Aid

Post Office to stop mail

I gave nuts.  i.e. I’ve given Skylar’s teachers their gifts

Washed and gassed the car

Made a jillion phone calls because once we get there it’s about 75 cents per minute to make calls to the U.S.

Cooked, cleaned, washed sheets, cleaned out the fridge

Clipped lots of toenails and fingernails (I swear kids’ nails grow so fast!)

Packed everything from suitsuits for Skylar and I to stevia to Advent calendars to the gifts that Santa is bringing in his sleigh.  Or that mom is bringing in the suitcase ensuring that it will be overweight and we will be paying that lovely overweight baggage fee.   Ahh, but Santa comes for all good girls and she’s been amazing this year.

And about 8765 other things.

It’s kind of mind-boggling how busy I’ve been getting ready.

I haven’t slept much.

Good thing I’ll be getting tons of sleep on that red eye tonight.  Ummm, yeah, sure.  With a 4 year old and thousands of dollars of valuables in my carry-on in either the overhead bins or at my feet, I’m sure I’ll be awake either singing the Wheels on the Bus or making sure no one robs us.  Scott will be snoring before we even take off.

So in honor of being crazy frantic leading up to our trip and flight tonight and because I know when we get there, the first half week or so is a blur and no elaborate cooking projects will happen, I decided to break in my new mini-donut pan.

Everyone bakes donuts in advance of an international trip, right?  Makes perfect sense.

It involves this.  It was either use it or lose it in Operation Fridge Cleanout.

The Eggnog Chai Smoothie I made with the ‘nog was good.

These are ridiculously good.

Including an eggnog glaze.  Rum optional but encouraged.

Stay tuned for the recipe…

Or just make these for now.

The next time you hear from me, with any luck, I’ll be here

Doing some floating and a whole lotta nothing.

1. What’s on your agenda for the weekend?

Any (Holiday) baking projects? Hope so!

2. How do you plan, prepare, or pack for trips?  How long does it take you to pack? How do you decide how much (or little) to bring?

It’s a mother’s unwritten job to think of everything from band-aids to deodorant to snacks to the favorite blankie to Santa stuff to the husband’s passport so that he doesn’t forget it.

And pack for myself, too.  That’s the easy part.

It’s packing for two other people and household stuff and thinking 3-4 weeks ahead of the curve and will I have enough child probiotics to give her in 23 days from now and did I remember cards for Scott’s birthday and did Santa bring enough on the sleigh…that is a little dizzying.

But if it got forgotten..who cares!  I try my best but if I forget things, whatever.  We’ll live.

And it just means it’s time to pour another pina colada on the beach!

Have a great weekend!

26 Responses to “And We’re Off”

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — December 2, 2011 at 4:08 pm

So so so jealous. Have a great trip!

Michaela — December 2, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I hope you guys have a fabulous trip!
    Looking forward to some beach pictures ;)
    I bet it is so hard to pack with children and it seems you are bringing half of your household :D

kaity — December 2, 2011 at 4:15 pm

have fun so jealous of the warmth ull have!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — December 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Safe travels my friend. I’ll be thinking about you guys!

dragonmamma/naomi — December 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm

The farthest I’ll be traveling this weekend is to my book-club holiday party about 4 miles up the road. I detest traveling, really I do. I’ll start my trip of the world as soon as someone invents one of those Star Trek teleporters. Have fun!

Aimee M — December 2, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I hope you all have a safe and wonderful trip! Can’t wait to see beach pics :)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — December 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Good luck with your travels!!! Can’t wait to see pics from the beach!!

J @ ... semplicemente j ... — December 2, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I travel so much for work that I am the biggest procrastinator when it comes to packing … I used to worry about taking everything … now, if I forget something … I breathe deep and move on … have a safe and wonderful trip!

lauren@spicedplate — December 2, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Have so much fun and travel safely! Can’t wait to see some photos and soak up some sun vicariously through them!

Ela — December 2, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Safe journey! Yes, I relate to the packing whirlwind with multiple responsibilities, and I _totally_ relate to a fridge-cleanout-bakefest on the eve of departure (although you could probably have frozen that nog too). Glad that you made a real good treat with it to see you on your way.

Becky — December 2, 2011 at 6:13 pm

If you get this in time. Don’t use any of your above mentioned ways to call people in the US!! 75cents per minute is insane. If you have your computer, download skype and make calls from there. I live in Japan and if I call home to an actual number I use skype and it’s 2 cents per minute.

Juliette — December 2, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I will be working and baking (probably something of yours:) over the weekend and for me, packing takes time. I like to prepare well in advance and have everything organized. I try to pack light, but it really depends on what I will be doing, how long I will be away, and what I really need when it comes to packing.

Happy Holidays and safe travels.

Kelly Michelle — December 2, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Do you have unlimited wi-fi at your place in Aruba? You can use Skype on your computer to make phone calls really cheap. All you need is a mic which most laptops have built in now. I think y ou can also d/l the app on your iphone but i’m not familiar with how it works.

When I was in Europe Skype was a lifesaver. You have to be at your computer but you can call other ppl’s phones. Calling 1-800 numbers is free and calling any US number (cell phone or landline) was about 2 or 3 cents per minute and you could just buy 10 dollars in credit.

just a thought!

kris (everyday oats) — December 2, 2011 at 6:56 pm

have funnnnn!! :)

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile — December 2, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Have an awesome time!!! Jealous of your mini donut pan ;D I actually bought mini muffin pans the day before Thanksgiving and have yet to bake with them. Definitely on the agenda soon! I am the worst packer ever. I usually do it the night before haha.

Kath — December 2, 2011 at 7:51 pm

You’re killin’ me with this eggnog smoothie!! Must make one soon!

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca — December 2, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Yaaayyy have fun!! :D

Baking plans? DONE! I made shortbread cookies for Christmas presents, packaged ‘em up all pretty, and stuck ‘em in the freezer! :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — December 2, 2011 at 8:28 pm

YAY for being on your way!! I wish I was tailing right behind ya.

I love eggnog, but my tummy doesn’t. Then again, what does it love? Nothing. hahaha

I’m writing you email, so you won’t be bored in Aruba. <- complete and total sarcasm :)

jackie @ marin mama cooks — December 2, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Have a blast Averie. I could use a beach vacation right about now. This Holiday craziness is for the birds.

I dread packing for a trip. It’s actually very stressful for me and I don’t ever relax till 2 days into the trip.

Those donuts look delicious. Love the mini size.

Jackie :)

Mai — December 2, 2011 at 10:42 pm

So jealous! Hope your trip over goes great!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco — December 2, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Look at you, so efficient. ;) It’ll totally be worth it when you get there, and I hope you have a great transit to a great trip!

P.S. I happened to leave a comment on J3nn’s blog, and she told me you sent her my link. THANK YOU SO VERY VERY MUCH!!!! Sorry for the large font, but I really want to give you a hug right now. ;)

Living, Learning, Eating — December 2, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I’m about to go to brunch with some of my family (I guess lunch for me, since I already ate breakfast :P ), then walk around Weihnachtsmarkts…buy some food…procrastinate packing…watch a Christmas movie…and then finally pack for flying to London on Monday, Boston on Wednesday, and home on Thursday. I’m already tired, just think about it! :P

Kathryn — December 3, 2011 at 1:25 am

It just looks so fantastic, I so wish I was packed in your suitcase! Have a wonderful trip!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — December 3, 2011 at 3:45 am

Hope the traveling goes perfectly!!! Can’t wait to see all the beautiful white-sand beach photos and live vicariously through you. ;)

I’m the type that needs a TON of time for packing. I’ll plan out outfits, make lists, and pack everything that might be needed “just in case.” Definitely learned that one from my mom haha.

Amber K — December 3, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I always feel like I’m forgetting something when I pack. It takes me a few minutes to throw my clothes together (fairly easy since I don’t have many). Usually I just have to take the time to do laundry, so that I actually have enough clothes.

Have a great trip!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 4, 2011 at 9:49 am

You are becoming quite the master donut baker!!! I am impressed!

I really could use a vacation right about now!