Peanut Butter Cocoa Krispies Smores Bars

I haven’t had real, good old-fashioned smores that are made over a campfire in far too long.

Like about twenty years, give or take, but who’s counting.

The last time I roasted marshmallows over a campfire was when I was a Girl Scout.

I have memories of being too impatient to wait for the marshmallows to toast evenly and instead, I would intentionally dip my wooden stick, with splinter-filled marshmallows speared on it, directly into the flames.  The marshmallows would ignite, char, and then I’d blow out the flaming charcoal black blobs of hot molten sugar, previously known as marshmallows.

Then I’d promptly smoosh the charred marshmallows in between stale graham crackers, courtesy of the Minnesota summer humidity.

Finally, I’d set a couple jagged-edge squares of chalky, tasteless Hershey’s’ milk chocolate on top of the charred marshmallows, top it with another stale graham cracker, and bite into the gooey, charry, chalky mess and proclaim it to be the best thing I ate all summer.

But these bars are better.

There are no charred marshmallows, no chalky chocolate, no standing outside while intermittently getting bitten to death by mosquitoes the size of golf balls, sleeping on hard ground, or standing over a campfire sweating profusely.

You can almost no-bake these up in your kitchen, very comfortably.  The oven is only turned on for a few minutes to toast the marshmallows and melt the white chocolate chips.

And as a bonus, not only do you get the chocolate fix you’d get in regular smores, but the chocolate in these bars is mixed with peanut butter, and Cocoa Krispies are added.

These beat camping.

[print_this]

Peanut Butter Cocoa Krispies Smores Bars (Almost No-Bake; with Vegan and Gluten Free options)

Makes 16 bars

5 or 6 full-size graham crackers

1 ½  cups mini marshmallows

1 cup white chocolate chips

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or 8 squares Baker’s Semisweet Chocolate), melted

1 cup peanut butter, melted

1 tablespoon butter, melted

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 ½  cups Cocoa Rice Krispies Cereal (or regular Rice Krispies)

Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a 8 by 8-inch or 9 by 9-inch pan with foil and spray with cooking spray (Do not skip this step, do not use wax or parchment paper).

Line the pan with one flat layer of graham crackers. You will need to break the graham crackers to fill in odd-shaped places (or slice the graham crackers on a cutting board with a knife for ultra-precision). Sprinkle the marshmallows over the graham cracker layer and bake for 6 to 7 minutes, or until marshmallows have begun to puff up or are showing first signs of browning.  Remove from the oven and sprinkle white chocolate chips over the top and bake for 2 minutes more and remove from the oven and allow pan to cool a bit.

Make the Peanut Butter Cocoa Krispies Layer by placing chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and heating for 45 to 60 seconds, then removing and stirring. Microwave again for 30 more seconds, or until mixture has fully melted. Stir until completely melted and smooth. Add the vanilla extract and Cocoa Krispies and stir to coat. Pour this mixture over the top of the melted marshmallow and white chocolate chip layer.

Place the pan in the freezer for 20 minutes or in the refrigerator for at least one hour to set up completely before slicing and serving. Store the bars in an airtight container on the countertop, or freeze for up to 3 months for longer-term storage, knowing that the crackers may not be as crunchy if frozen for long periods.

To keep vegan, use suitable crackers and krispy cereal, use vegan marshmallows, replace the butter with margarine or Earth Balance, use vegan white chocolate chips or omit them. To keep gluten-free, use gluten free Rice Krispies cereal, gluten free graham crackers. Make sure all ingredients used are suitable for your personal taste preferences, dietary needs, and read all labels.

[/print_this]

One of the reasons I decided to make these smores bars is because I’m participating in Marshmallow Madness, a contest hosted by Quirk Books and Serious Eats to celebrate the release of Marshmallow Madness by Shauna Sever.

My job was to post a recipe using marshmallows.

They didn’t ask me to post anything with chocolate, white chocolate, or peanut butter, but I think marshmallows go best with those things.

The crunch from the graham cracker base, the gooey melted marshmallows and white chocolate chips sandwiched in the middle layer, and the crunchy peanut buttery and chocolate Cocoa Krispies on the top layer are a smorgasbord of textures, and I love that.

As an aside, I found this site and decided to write on the image above to make sure and tempt you with each (labeled) layer.  If anyone knows of other free sites that are straightforward, easy to use, and very user-friendly, that allow you to add text to images and “write” on them, let me know.  Picnik is closing, and I don’t store my images on Google, Picassa, or Flickr and as few uploading steps, the better.

If you need more marshmallows (and white chocolate) in your life, I recommend:

Deep Dish Double Chocolate Golden Grahams Smores Bars (Vegan & GF options)

White Chocolate Vanilla Marshmallow Cake Bars

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough & Marshmallow Stuffed Rice Krispie Bars (No Bake)

Finally, one of my Favorite Recipes of 2011, which uses marshmallows and white chocolate (and chocolate chips and peanut butter and butter and sweetened condensed milk…)

Marshmallow Peanut Butter Double Chocolate Pillowtop Bars (GF with Vegan options)

Now go make some smores in the comfort of your kitchen.

No bug bites or stinky campfire hair required.

Do you like smores?  Marshmallows?

When is the last time you made smores?  Or something with marshmallows?

Winner of the $50 Spa Card Giveaway announced next post.

Have a great week!

142 Responses to “Peanut Butter Cocoa Krispies Smores Bars”

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan — January 29, 2012 at 9:58 am

Ooh yeah! So much goodness in one package. These would be great with crispy brown rice and Dandies marshmallows. :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 29th, 2012 at 11:31 am

I updated the post to reflect all the vegan/GF tweaks one can make…thanks for the reminder!

Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife — January 29, 2012 at 10:04 am

This looks awesome, I LOVE s’mores! Last time I had them was back in the fall when my hubby and I made them on a camping trip! Btw I LOVE your new picture, you look adorable! :)

Tasha @ Voracious Eats — January 29, 2012 at 10:06 am

SHUT UP!!!!!! These look SO good! I love smores, but I bet I would love these even more. Every single glorious layer…..Averie, I just ate dinner and I NEED these for dessert asap. I imagine the texture would be dense and delicious, which is my favorite.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 29th, 2012 at 11:30 am

Glad you enjoy the layers and I know you like your PB and chocolate like I do…I think you’d love these!

Paula — January 29, 2012 at 10:14 am

I usually make s’mores every fall at an annual party we go to around Halloween. There is always a gigantic bonfire so marshmallow flambé is an option and generally happens at least a few times during the night ( by both the kids and drunken adults)! Your recipe looks heavenly because that top layer looks like fudge!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 29th, 2012 at 11:29 am

Your party sounds great and yes that top layer became very thick and fudge like. I love it :)

Kalosine — January 29, 2012 at 10:23 am

You could try the picframe app, there is the option to buy extras which allows you to add text (its not expensive)
    Those s’mores look delicious!

Brooke — January 29, 2012 at 10:51 am

Because marshmallows make everything better…

Brooke

Amber K — January 29, 2012 at 11:06 am

I was totally impatient as a kid too! I would burn the heck out of the marshmallow and declare it was still totally delicious. I’m pretty sure it tasted like charred marshmallow, since that’s what it was, lol. I haven’t had a s’more in years. Mostly because in order to have one I’d have to make my own gluten-free, xanthan-gum free “graham” crackers. And having to make the ingredients to then make another recipe is just enough effort to make me not jump right into it. ;)

katie @ KatieDid — January 29, 2012 at 11:39 am

Love the pop of a blue background with these. I make smores most summers, and made some this past summer too. I sandwiched an extra jumbo marshmallow between two chocolate slabs and dug into its gooey goodness. I lost campfire memories from my lake house growing up!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 29, 2012 at 11:53 am

Wow!! These look amazing!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — January 29, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I was never a big fan of the s’mores as a kid – now marshmallow and the graham cracker, that was perfect. I guess it was the chocolate that didn’t really strike my fancy. I loved toasting the marshmallows over a fire though so they were nice and ooey gooey. I’m thinking peanut butter in lieu of the chocolate might be a perfect treat. I’m kind of hungry now LOL

Culinary Collage — January 29, 2012 at 12:21 pm

These look wonderful!

Erica — January 29, 2012 at 1:12 pm

haha- thats totally how I roast marshmallows too :) I’m actually giving homemade marshmallows a go soon. Ah! These look amazing. You are the bar queen, I’ll say it again!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — January 29, 2012 at 1:30 pm

OMG – jaw dropped, eyes bugged when I saw these in my Google reader! I’m a sucker for any s’mores dessert, this one looks awesome. And I was the same way when I was younger – impatiently putting my marshmallow straight into the fire. Nowadays, I’m more of a slow-roasting marshmallow girl – more goo!

Jocelyn — January 29, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Those look amazing!!! And bonus…no smoke smell to wash out of my clothes!!!!

Katie — January 29, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Man, you really loved camping, didn’t you? ;) I actually love camping, smores, sleeping on the ground, all of it. Except the mosquitoes and the humidity.

The bars look awesome, per usual. i bet you could totally no-bake them by subbing marshmallow fluff. The white choc chips would just stay in place because of the hot melty chocolatey peanut buttery goodness on top.

I’m hungry now.

Shira — January 29, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Wow these look delish and so easy.. love that. s’mores is the Best flavour combo to me!
    i made s’more several times last summer, both camping with my boyfriend, and in our backyard in the outdoor fire pit on chilly and not-so-chilly summer nights. i live in canada.. it’s a lot like MN weather(i have fam there too!) so yes, we have Chilly summer nights.. i love love camping and cottage-ing, i do hate the ‘squiters tho, and i make my s’mores with lindt dark chocolate with almonds and sometimes their white chocolate with coconut. amazing. no chalky hershey’s for me :)
    you make great, easy dessert recipes, it’s really awesome!

Diana — January 29, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Holy sweet Moses, you had me from the title of this post!! I am so in love with all of your recipes, I feel like I need to set a side an entire weekend to make Averie desserts and basically just take a bath in vegan chocolatey goodness.

kyleen — January 29, 2012 at 3:33 pm

These peanut butter cocoa krispies smores bars look so yummy! I’m a huge fan of smores, but chocolate and peanut butter is probably my favorite combination ever. This is such a great way to combine smores, chocolate, and peanut butter!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 29th, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I got ALL the pertinent flavors in
      choc
      white choc
      marshmallow
      PB
      gooey
      crunchy
      it’s all there :)

Jess @ Keeping It Real Food — January 29, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Haha oh man, I still have a scar on one of my toes from a flaming marshmallow that fell on me during a girl scout campout. Good times.

These bars look delicious, and far less dangerous.

Luv What You Do — January 29, 2012 at 3:52 pm

So sad about your s’mores history. I love s’mores…they are one of my favorite treats and make summer camp and bonfires even more fun. My first whoopie pies were these adorable s’more whoopie pies. Yummy! Your bars look delish. Best of luck in the contest!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva — January 29, 2012 at 4:11 pm

haha yes sweet treats totally beat camping…unless the camping is at a 5 star hotel and they serve you these smores poolside complete with a drink that has one of those little umbrellas. thanks for the recipe averie!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 29th, 2012 at 9:56 pm

God did you read my mind, or what! That’s TOTALLY what I say. My mom used to say, my idea of camping is the Hilton :)

Michaela — January 29, 2012 at 4:16 pm

yum! your recipes are sooo mouth-watering! I am craving something sweet now!
    I really had to laugh at “splinter-filled marshmallows” ;)
    Sadly, I only had smores once, in courtesy of my American neighbours.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 29th, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Well make these and now you can have smores for the 2nd time in your life and this is a good recipe to break in the 2nd time :)

• Michaela replied: — January 30th, 2012 at 2:45 pm

hahahaha, you can BET that I will buy some vegan marshmallows as soon as I can lay my hands on them, so I can make this recipe!

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — January 29, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Oh my GOODNESS. I make s’mores bars all the time but these are like those on crack. And they just LOOK gorgeous!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 29th, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Yes, they are crack-ed up, for sure :) That choc/PB toppping takes them to new highs <– pun intended.

(corny jokes over for the nite)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — January 29, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Oh boy…these look dangerous!

Kris | iheartwellness.com — January 29, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I never want to leave your blog…never ever…I could drool over your pics pretending Im eating them all day long. I wish my skin loved sweets like this cause I’d eat them for breakfast lunch and din dins!

xxoo

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 29th, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I have heard that what we eat, i.e. sugar, chocolate has no bearing on skin…and then have heard, it very much does. I hope you find a product(s) that works for your skin, doll!

Alicia — January 29, 2012 at 6:55 pm

These look SOOOO YUMMMYYYY!!!!!!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 29, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Oh yum! These look amazing! I have to thank you! I bought that 1 pounder dark chocolate bar and your right, it’s creamy smooth and easy to melt! It’s my new favorite chocolate. Your peanut butter bars look amazing! Perfect little treat!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 29th, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Girl I am telling you, that stuff is magic, isn’t it! I don’t blog about things and get ALL EXCITED unless I truly believe in a product and that was one of them :)

Angela@veggievinyasa — January 29, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Rice Krispie treats are my favorite! This is an awesome new take on them and I can’t wait to try this recipe!

MyFudo — January 29, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I am loving the layered goodness of these bars…Every layer is worth the bite. I must try this very soon. ;)

Marina — January 29, 2012 at 8:29 pm

LOOOOOOVE smores and can’t wait to make these!! Did you grow up in Minnesota?! Whereabouts?? (I grew up in the Rochester area.)

Lauren — January 29, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I am definitely going to try making these! I don’t make anything unless it is very chocolate filled and peanut butter is always a plus!
    As for programs for putting text on images their is a program called Gimp that is a free download and you can literally just save the image files as .jpeg’s and upload them as a normal picture. You can add words and much more in this program!

jackie @ marin mama cooks — January 29, 2012 at 10:06 pm

OMG, these look amazing!!! Another Averie hit! I love all the different combinations you used with these.

I love s’mores and I made a decadent version myself with homemade graham crackers and I used Ghirardelli dark carmel squares as my chocolate. Who says you can’t have s’mores in the winter?

PS, I use to and still to this day char my marshmallows when making a campfire s’more!

Michele Sparrow — January 29, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. I LOVE your bar recipes!! This new one looks amazing, but I gotta say, my fav is the White Chocolate Vanilla Marshmallow Cake Bars. INCREDIBLE!

Hey, Averie, check out this book:

My friend Lisa wrote it and I thought you would like to see the title! :-)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 29th, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I love that book’s title and looks like a little gem! Congrats to her on that book being published.

and I know you love those bars…try these if you get sick of thumbprints or marsh/cake/white choc bars :)

Lucy — January 30, 2012 at 7:39 am

Hi, Averie!

These look fantastic, but the real reason I’m posting is that I made your oatmeal cookies last night and they. are. amazing. Hands down the tastiest oatmeal cookies I’ve ever had, no joke. So thank you!

Lucy

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — January 30, 2012 at 7:39 am

Yum! I love marshmallows! And s’mores! My husband and I camp occasionally and s’mores are a must :) Have you ever made your own marshmallows? I used Alton Brown’s recipe – A-mazing!

Shauna — January 30, 2012 at 8:45 am

All right, Averie! These are insane. Love it!

Tracy — January 30, 2012 at 10:59 am

LOVE the recipe! I am a nut for marshmallows (chocolate and peanut as well), we have them in the house at all times and I have even been known to heat some into a bowl with a sprinkle of coconut and eat the melty goodness :)

brighteyedbaker — January 30, 2012 at 11:22 am

These look wayyyy better than s’mores. I’m drooling.

jasper naomi — January 30, 2012 at 11:34 am

Averie! you are just SO creative! these are gORGEOUS how do you have the patience to make all of your gorgeous creations!!!?

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 30th, 2012 at 12:56 pm

You are so kind, thank you. Patience comes easy for this stuff. Now, ask me to put together a piece of furniture or something like that and I have no patience!

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — January 30, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Wow, those s’mores bars look incredible!

Christine (The Raw Project) — January 30, 2012 at 4:22 pm

These look insanely good, awesome job! Great pics and colors too!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 30, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I like smores but don’t like making them because I always get too sticky. The last time I had one was at the end of summer when we had my in-laws over and made a fire in the backyard fire pit.

Russell at Chasing Delicious — January 30, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Yum! These guys look soo good. I love all the layers and flavors. Lovely shots too!

Pure2raw twins — January 30, 2012 at 7:48 pm

what a great recipe!!! it looks amazing.

Deborah — January 31, 2012 at 6:51 am

Are any of your neighbors moving? Because I’d love to come live next to you and partake of your delicious desserts. This is might be one of my favorites!!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 31st, 2012 at 8:36 am

I’d love it if you were my neighbor…we could each make a batch of something and then swap half of it. Ohhh the variety and fun we’d have!

Tracy — January 31, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I’m kind of in love with these. I’d use SunButter instead of peanut butter because of my allergy, but otherwise I wouldn’t change a thing. Yum!

Hannah — January 31, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I’ve never had a s’more! I grew up wanting them because I read about them in the Babysitters Club so often :P This looks wonderful!

Tracey — January 31, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I love s’mores too, they’re the best. These are similar to a bar I posted this month too, I’ll have to try your variation next time a craving strikes!

Anna — February 1, 2012 at 10:20 am

I stumbled onto your site today and poked around your recipes. OMG! I am in LOVE with these! Thanks for posting this!!

Emily ~So Domesticated~ — February 2, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Oh my freaking goodness… these are right up my s’mores lovin’ alley!