Five Dollar Finds

I love thrift stores and thrift shopping especially for cute little dishes and one-of-a-kind kitchen items. Once you can get past the visual overload and hodge-podge, there are usually some gems to be found.

Case in point, these turquoise gems.

I found this set of two little flat plates or saucers, two compartment plates, and two little cups for $5 dollars.

One woman’s trash is another woman’s treasure.

Not sure why anyone would have parted with this set, but that’s where the old, “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” analogy comes in.

I have a recipe coming up in using these. They were begging to be put to use, immediately.

Some other favorite five dollar finds include:

This cream

I started using it when Skylar was a baby for her dry skin but realized it’s extremely thick (almost too thick for a baby), it’s made with lavender and chamomile, and it does an amazing job of keeping my body soft and my hands from drying out after doing dishes, which is a seemingly non-stop job some most days.

A bag of cashews and rice is less than five bucks…

for making homemade horchata, which is a new staple for us.

Birthday Cake Oreos. Get ‘em while the gettins’ good.

If you don’t happen to eat them as-is…

You can make Oreo-Stuffed Brownies with them.

Happy first day of spring today!

It’s finally sunny again in San Diego after a really rainy and nasty cold snap we’ve had for the past half week, but it’s picture perfect today.

Have you found anything great for $5 dollars lately?

I recently did a post on some $1.99 finds, too.

Here’s my Drugstore Top Ten post. All products are under $5 bucks.

Are you enjoying any springtime weather today?

Thanks for the Baking Supplies Giveaway entries

53 Responses to “Five Dollar Finds”

Cassie — March 20, 2012 at 11:13 am

Love those blue dishes! And I still haven’t had any birthday Oreo’s! I must find them soon before they go away!

marti — March 20, 2012 at 11:24 am

those dishes are beautiful! thrift shopping is definitely something i should start..sounds dangerous though..might fill up my kitchen even more! ;) i too have not found those oreos yet! i’m still on the look out..they must be a hot buy!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 20th, 2012 at 7:40 pm

they’re limited edition and taste like cake frosting meets an oreo. So yummy.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries — March 20, 2012 at 11:27 am

great finds! those blue dishes are beautiful. it’s been a gorgeous first day of spring here in northern utah too! i’m so thankful the sun is out again after a gray, cold, and rainy weekend. i just got back from a run to enjoy the spring weather!

Erica — March 20, 2012 at 11:32 am

I’ll be honest…I love seeing thrift store finds…but I can’t go in there- makes my head spin :). The dishes are gorgeous too. And I MUST get my hands on those oreos. Enjoy this lovely day!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 20th, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Girl I know. It’s SUCH a hodgepodge it makes my head spin, too. I used to not even be able to take it…seriously. My mom loves TJ Maxx, Marshall’s, etc and up until a few years ago, I couldn’t even handle the disarray!

Simone — March 20, 2012 at 11:37 am

OMG those brownies look so delicious!!

Destini — March 20, 2012 at 11:40 am

Those are lovely dishes!!!

And those brownies look toooo good :)

katie @ KatieDid — March 20, 2012 at 11:41 am

I’m fully soaking in our gorgeous weather as well. 77 degrees and beaming hot, I studied for 3 hours outside. What gorgeous bowls, that color is so perfect for a ton of different foods. I gravitate towards blues when I’m thinking about photography as well.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 20th, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Heather (Where's the Beach) — March 20, 2012 at 11:46 am

Ok, seriously love those dishes! You make me want to run out to a thrift store now!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — March 20, 2012 at 11:55 am

Thrift stores are the BEST for finding fun new dishes– I love the vibrant aqua color of that set!!

Sally @ sally's baking addiction — March 20, 2012 at 12:13 pm

ok i NEED to get some of those bday cake oreos already! I love the new turquoise dishes averie. Awesome finds!

Tori (@eatori) — March 20, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Such beautiful dishes- and the photos. Best thing I got for $5 lately was a toasted gruyere sandwich. But it was a seriously, seriously great sandwich.

Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat — March 20, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I need to go thrift store shopping for some place mats and cute little dishes to photography purposes. I love those green dishes!

Kathryn — March 20, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Adore those turquoise dishes, just a gorgeous colour and I bet they’ll photograph really well.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 20th, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Next post will showcase them and yes, I LOVE blues and turquoises with food. Some people say use white…I say, use aqua :)

Ela — March 20, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Haha, snowing here today!

Those Japanese plates are gorgeous, and they’re pretty expensive new–score!

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) — March 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Great dishes, I love them. And ummmmm birthday cake oreos? WOW!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 20th, 2012 at 7:35 pm

The oreos are like bday cake frosting meets an Oreo. YUM :)

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — March 20, 2012 at 2:27 pm

love this post and love your thrift store finds! fantastic! I downloaded a few books for my Kindle for $3 a pop…not too shabby!

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen — March 20, 2012 at 2:55 pm

girl, wherever you live, i need to move there asap. your life seems so bright and sunny!

in terms of deals — everything is cheap in Istanbul, so I’ve found lots of treasure-like trash.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — March 20, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Happy 1st day of Spring!! I love antiquing or thrifting. So much loot for such great price ;)

Paula — March 20, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Great looking dishes–can’t blame you for snatching those up! I found a nice fiesta style bowl and plate on clearance at Kroger for $1. Unfortunately they only had 1 of each but I love using them when I’m dining alone! I definitely enjoyed the first day of spring–86 and sunny so we’re still riding on a heat wave in NE Indiana. Crazy weather but loving it. Happy spring Averie!

Nicole — March 20, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I’ll have to give that cream a try…my hands get pretty chapped during Winter. I am enjoying Summer in Spring in WI…I’ve taken my workouts (and Labs) outside all week.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 20th, 2012 at 7:34 pm

It’s seriously better than any cream I get from my dermatologist!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — March 20, 2012 at 6:36 pm

to fun! Great looking bowls and props!

millie torres — March 20, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Because I am an extreme couponer I can get a lot of stuff for either less than a dollar or free. My recent find was for .49 cents. Our local pharmacy had a huge Loreal sale…But they had the Loreal Visual Lift foundation on sale for $4.49 a bottle. These bottles are reguraly $14.99, since I had 15 coupons for $4.00 off towards any Loreal foundation , I bought 15 bottles for .49 cents each.

I get tons of food, makeup and personal needs with manufacturer’s coupons. That’s how I spend my time & very little money.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 20, 2012 at 10:01 pm

We are definitely experiencing spring time weather, and it is glorious!

We don’t have any good thrift stores in my city :-(

Marina — March 20, 2012 at 10:11 pm

What a beautiful turquoise find! I love that color! My whole closet is different shades of blue and turquoise :)

lauren@spicedplate — March 21, 2012 at 2:10 am

Wow — those dishes are amazing! Good eye, finding those! Happy Spring — it’s going to be 83 degrees here in Maine on Thursday — sort of strange but I’ll take it.

Michele Sparrow — March 21, 2012 at 7:57 am

Those dishes are beautiful. What a total find! Excited to see them in your recipe pics!

Today in Santa Cruz, the weather is absolutely gorgeous. In fact, that pic you posted could have been right up the street from me, that’s how it looks outside – even now, as early in the morning as it is! I just bought a Vitamin D tanning bed for my business and let me tell you, Averie…it is AWESOME. Something about sunshine makes the body feel great! Happy Wednesday to you!

Amber K — March 21, 2012 at 11:09 am

What a great find! Those blue dishes are gorgeous. I haven’t been out shopping much, so I haven’t been able to find many good deals. In fact, it seems like everything is rising in price. I’ve gotta hit the dollar store!

Tracey — March 26, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I adore those turquoise dishes Averie – $5 for all of them is SUCH a steal!

Kait — March 26, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I totally thought of you when I bought new plates + bowls at Christmas Tree Shop this weekend. I didn’t get QUITE as good of a deal but I’m not complaining since no piece cost more than $1.50! :)

Suzanne B — March 30, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Love those turquoise finds!! What store is it?????

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 30th, 2012 at 10:24 pm

A thrift store in San Diego on University. I can never remember the name…it’ll come to me…

• Suzanne B replied: — March 31st, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I’ll be checking back…….lol……..is it in hillcrest or university heights area?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 31st, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Just east of Ralph’s/TJ’s by about 2 blocks. Sorry still can’t remember the name!

• Suzanne B replied: — March 31st, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Thanks………..I’ll bet it’s the Baras Foundation – at least that is close to the area you mention.