Microwave Strawberry Vanilla Mug Cake with Vanilla Buttercream Glaze

Ready, set, go.

Let’s make cake.

In the microwave. In 90 seconds.

Who doesn’t love cake, with strawberries woven into it, with a puddle a bit of vanilla buttercream glaze added for good measure.

Get your day started off properly.

With cake for breakfast.

And it’s healthy because you’re getting in a serving of fruit. Yeah.

Along with a serving of frosting, which is the best way to start the day, of course.

[print_this]

Microwave Strawberry Vanilla Mug Cake with Vanilla Glaze (with Vegan and Gluten Free Suggestions)

Makes one very generous portion

1 tablespoon butter, softened

1 large egg

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1 teaspoon+ if you love vanilla)

2 tablespoons granulated sugar (or 3 tablespoons if you want it sweeter)

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

2 to 3 tablespoons strawberries, diced (I used TJ’s frozen strawberries and diced them. Halve or quarter your berries as desired)

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients (except strawberries), and whisk until batter is just smooth, but do not overmix. Gently fold in the strawberries. Prepare a mug by spraying it very well with cooking spray and pour batter into mug, taking care that there is plenty of room for growth. The batter/cake will nearly double in height in the microwave so select a large mug and do not fill more than halfway. (You may have leftover batter or you may get two mugcakes from this recipe, but don’t overfill or you will have a big mess) Microwave on high for 75 to 90 seconds, or until done. Microwave cooking times vary widely and I suggest standing in front of the microwave the entire time. It could be done in 60 seconds, it could take 2 minutes; it’s very hard to say but mine took about 90 seconds. While the mug cake is cooling, make the glaze.

Vanilla Buttercream Glaze

1 tablespoon butter,  melted

1/4 cup powdered sugar

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1/2 teaspoon+ if you love vanilla)

1 tablespoon+ cream (or milk)

Combine all ingredients (except for cream) in a small bowl and whisk, adding the cream based on desired consistency of glaze. Spoon glaze over the mugcake while it’s in the mug and allow glaze to soak and permeate into the cake. Or, remove cake from the mug by running a knife around the sides and inverting it onto a plate and spooning the glaze over it.

Notes:

I do not bother with mixing dry ingredients first, then wet; making this in one bowl and everything added at once is fine. You can also mix this all together in the mug and skip the bowl entirely, taking care you’ve sprayed it well with cooking spray. Do not fill your mug more than halfway full as the batter/cake will expand and nearly double in size. Allow for plenty of room for growth.

To keep vegan, use margarine in place of butter, use nut milk in place of cream/milk, and use a flax egg. To keep gluten free, use a gluten-free flour blend. I have not tried making this vegan or gluten free; I am only providing likely suggestions.

I am sure you could bake this in the oven in an oven-safe baking dish or suitable mug, but this is a “convenience recipe” and I have only tried it using the microwave.

[/print_this]

Cake making is as easy as combining everything in one bowl except for the strawberries, stirring, and folding those in last. I don’t bother mixing the dry and mixing wet ingredients separately, and then folding them together.

This is a convenience recipe and it’s much more convenient to just do it all at once. You can even just mix everything in the mug, making it even more convenient because you have one less dish to do, but for the sake of pictures, I used a small bowl.

Pour the batter into a mug if you didn’t mix the batter in a mug.

One huge, big, word of advice: Make sure you mug is TALL enough to support this recipe. Select a nice, tall mug because the batter will expand considerably; nearly doubling in height.

Don’t fill your mug more than halfway full with batter because you will end up with spillover city and a microwave cleanup project and that would be a major inconvenience.

The photo  below was taken about one minute after removing the mugcake from the microwave.

Upon initially taking it out, the batter had puffed up very high, even a little higher, than the mug’s rim, but as it cooled, it shrunk down some.

For the sake of pictures, I inverted the mugcake on a plate and drizzled glaze over the top but if it wasn’t for pictures, I would have just poured the glaze on top of the cake while inside the mug, and smooshed it all around with my spoon.

I would have eaten it like hot fudge poured over ice cream in a mug, all messy and blended together, which is the best way.

This was so good because it had the sweetness of vanilla cake but with the bonus of berries woven in, and then that glaze.

The vanilla glaze really enhanced the vanilla cake flavor. I am a vanilla fanatic and this was right up my vanilla alley.

The whole thing is right up my alley because there is cake involved, frosting is present, and the microwave was used.

My kinda recipe.

If you’re a fan of microwave “cakes” you may like:

Microwave Banana Oat Cakes

Microwave Blueberry Banana Oat Cakes

If you like to bake rather than nuke, I suggest Strawberry Banana Bread

Have you ever made a mugcake?

What’s the best thing you make in the microwave?

I know some people don’t like using microwaves but I do. Because I can make cake in it! Or tofu. Or popcorn. Or heat up my coffee. Just one tool in the toolbox.

Thanks for the Baking Supplies Giveaway entries

130 Responses to “Microwave Strawberry Vanilla Mug Cake with Vanilla Buttercream Glaze”

karinacocina17 — April 7, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Loved this!! I used stevia and whole wheat pastry flour and it turned out great!! I can’t wait to try your other recipes!! :D

Kaysie — May 23, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I found this recipe and I knew in an instant I had to make it. However, I always find mug cakes to be a little on the dry side, so I added a tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt, a little more sugar, and a pinch more of cinnamon. Also, I couldn’t find any strawberries in my house, so I used peaches instead! The result? Cinnamony, peachy, heaven. It was super moist and absolutely delicious!! I will definitely be making this again. Except maybe next time I’ll use the strawberries:)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 23rd, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Yes mug cakes tend to be DRY city. I know. Good call on the yogurt and the peaches. Fruit will keep anything more moist. Sounds like a winner!

maausi — May 28, 2012 at 8:52 am

I make a 3-minute microwave brownie (vegan, gluten-free) – it has banana in it to keep it moist, and it works surprisingly well! I also use a lot of liquid. The end result is a little chewy, soft and moist (I don’t get why so many people dislike that word…). I heard honey keeps baked goods moist, you could try that :).

marla — June 21, 2012 at 6:16 am

This cake looks heavenly!

Danielle — July 9, 2012 at 12:03 pm

It is heavenly!! Made it for some guest we had over Saturday night and it was a hit. The best part about it is that you can cook them before hand and re-heat them in the mugs just in time to serve!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 9th, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Good to know it was a hit AND that you could pre-cook and simply reheat a smidge before serving. Love the feedback!

Rachel C — August 17, 2012 at 6:23 am

I love these recipes and everything, but I like it when I find the recipes being friendly in the calorie budget too… This one serving recipe has about 650 calories! If you just substitute the butters and sugars for applesauce and stevia, you cut the calories in half…that would make a happier girl over here!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 17th, 2012 at 6:29 am

Go for it and enjoy the recipe any way that sounds good to you and still enables it to turn out!

Lancashire Food — May 26, 2013 at 11:24 pm

I love this recipe so quick and easy and not too sweet !

Clover — May 29, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I just made this. It hit the spot. Nice that the ingredients are things you have around. I had to dig out some strawberries from a fruit salad, but otherwise right handy. Thanks.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 29th, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Glad to hear it was a success! And digging out berries from the fruit salad…love it :)

Sarah — June 4, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I had a foodgasim when I ate this

Mimi — October 26, 2013 at 8:00 pm

This is the first mug cake I’ve ever made and I’m sorry to say that it was kind of gross. It’s so tough and chewy! I would never make it again. I feel like anyone who thinks this is good must have never had actual cake. If someone served this at a party, I would frankly be kind of appalled.

Eski — November 5, 2013 at 11:34 am

Yum yum-super tasty and super easy to do. I changed out the vanilla for hazelnut extract though….just LOVE my hazelnut :)

For people who are talking about how chewy and tough it is, that’s probably because of a couple things-you may have overmixed it, and it’s VERY easy to do. Second, you might not have the right time on your microwave-I’ve figured out through a few tries that mine is the best at 70 seconds or so. also having some honey will really help keep that moisture in the mix. if you still want it moist, then use some cream instead of butter! did that for mine and it worked awesome.

Probably going to use this base recipe as a jumping off point for future cake mug experiments. :) thanks for posting this!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 5th, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Thanks for the detailed comment and for offering tips for others, Eski. I’m sure that will be helpful! I am so glad you love this and hazelnut extract sounds wonderful and that you’re going to use this as a jumping off place for other mug cakes. I’ve also found that mere seconds, i.e. from 70 secs to 80 secs, can make a huge difference with results and finding that sweet spot is key.

I also have this mugcake which is a newer recipe and I loved how choclaty and moist it turned out! LMK if you try other mugcake versions!

Katrina — February 25, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Absolutely delicious!! I just made this with some blueberries, because state berries were too much work, and it was AMAZING. Kudos!!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — February 26th, 2014 at 1:53 am

Blueberries sounds great in this! Glad you loved it!

Chilaeya Ezell — February 26, 2014 at 6:00 am

This recipe was a hit! I made it for my dad’s birthday breakfast and he absolutely loved it. Since he isn’t big on anything too sweet, I only used half of the glaze mixture but it was still delicious. Thank you!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — February 26th, 2014 at 6:20 am

So glad to hear you guys enjoyed it & happy bday to to your dad!

Caylee — June 12, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I made this for dessert tonight, I am gluten intolerant so I used Bobs Red Mill All-Purpose gluten free flour with 1/2 teaspoon xanthum gum. It was delicious!!! Thanks for the recipe :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 13th, 2014 at 12:30 am

Glad it worked out great and thanks for LMK that you made it GF! That’s wonderful!

Erin — October 1, 2014 at 2:57 am

Instant success! Definitely needs the vanilla essence – I was naughty and tried to leave it out, which made the cake taste a bit eggy. Great way to use up some strawberries we had that were getting over-ripe.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — October 1st, 2014 at 10:49 am

Glad it was an instant hit and helped you use up the ripe berries!