Chocolate Banana and Biscoff Graham Bars

I made these bars for Jenny for her Virtual Baby Shower. I wanted to make something that I knew used a few of her favorite ingredients.

Plus, I was looking at all the ripe bananas on my countertop here in Aruba and was wondering what I was going to do with them. If you think bananas ripen fast where you are, just c’mon down to the Equator and watch them literally ripen before your very eyes in a hot little kitchen.

I aim to please especially for pregnant ladies and ingredients that Jenny uses frequently, and which I incorporated into the bars, include:

Biscoff Spread – her Biscoff Stuffed White Chocolate Chip Cookies are amazing and she has so many Biscoff recipes on her site

Bananas – her Chocolate Banana Bread with Marshmallow Bits is so moist

Graham Cracker Crumbs – Rolo Smores Monkey Bread anyone?

Chocolate – because every pregnant woman needs more of this in her life

After mashing that list together, these bars are what I came up with.

The top layer is a mixture of Biscoff spread and sweetened condensed milk and it thickens slightly and turns caramely, with oodles of gooey chocolate chips poking through.

The edges of the bars are just a tiny bit chewy from the graham crackers crumbs and the center stays tender and soft from the sweetened condensed milk, the Biscoff Spread, and the bananas.

While these baked, the smell of graham crackers, butter, chocolate and bananas wafting through the house was intoxicating.

Scott asked what on earth I was baking that smelled so good?

And I said, “Just something for a pregnant girl I know in Orange County.” He was utterly baffled.

The bars are a snap to make and here’s what to do:

Crush graham crackers either by hand or in the food processor until you have 1 cup, add 1 stick of melted butter, stir and press into a baking pan.

Add sliced bananas and chocolate chips.

And then flood it.

The flood is a mixture of one can of sweetened condensed milk and one-third cup Biscoff Spread. Best tasting flood-water ever.

Or if you’re in Aruba, it’s not technically Biscoff that I used, but rather Dutch cookie butter

I am 100% convinced it’s the exact same thing as Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter Spread because the glass jars (minus the label of course), the type of cap, and the product inside is all identical.

In a side-by-side comparison the spread inside the TJ’s jars and the Dutch jars tastes and looks 100% identical.

I know Trader Joe’s private labels their products and in this case, they use the same supplier as the Dutch. Just a little food trivia for all the Biscoff and cookie butter fanatics.

While baking, the flood of sweet creaminess melts into the graham cracker layer, the bananas sweeten, and this is the result.

I hope you like these, Jenny!

We sure did and the pan was gone in a day.

[print_this]

Chocolate Banana and Biscoff Graham Bars

makes one 8-by-8-inch pan, about 9 squares

1 cup graham cracker crumbs

1/4 cup butter, melted (half of one stick)

about 1 1/2 large ripe bananas, sliced into rounds

2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

one 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk

1/3 cup Biscoff Spread or Cookie Butter Spread (or creamy peanut butter)

Preheat oven to 325F, line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter and stir to mix. Transfer mixture to prepared pan, spreading it evenly and using your fingers to pack it down. Add sliced bananas (about 1/8th-inch thick slices) over entire surface of graham crackers; likely needing 60 to 70 slices to cover the surface of the pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the bananas; set pan aside.

In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk, Biscoff, and heat on high power for about 20 seconds, helping to soften the Biscoff, and stir to combine until mixture is uniform (if your Biscoff is already soft and can be stirred easily into the sweetened condensed milk, skip the microwaving step). Evenly pour the Biscoff-sweet milk mixture over the chocolate chips. Bake for 23 to 26 minutes, or until top is set and golden and edges have pulled away slightly from the sides of the pan; taking care not to overbake because the sweet milk and graham crackers will have a tendency to scorch nearing the completion of baking.

Allow bars to cool in pan for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving. Optionally, garnish with whipped cream or whipped topping, or serve with a scoop of ice cream. Store bars in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months. I prefer these chilled and keep them in the refrigerator.

To keep gluten-free, use gluten-free graham crackers and replace the cookie butter spread with peanut butter and add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.

[/print_this]

Related Recipes:

Magic Eight Bars – made with a graham cracker crust and nearly identical to Seven Layer Bars or Hello Dolly Bars, tweaking the seven ingredients, and adding one more, for magic number eight

Coconut Peanut Butter Magic Cake Bars – one of my favorite desserts of 2012 and also uses the sweetened condensed milk flooding technique, with peanut butter rather than cookie butter

Cookie Butter Spread Ginger Molasses Cookies (No Bake, Vegan, with GF option)

Creamy Cookie Butter White Chocolate Banana Smoothie

No-Bake Peanut Butter Biscoff Cookie Dough Bites (Vegan, almost GF with easy adaptation) – Made with peanut butter + Biscoff cookies or make them with Biscoff + Biscoff Cookies

Cookie Butter Funfetti Triple Chip Bars – sweetened condensed milk and cookie butter at it again, so gooey and great – I loved these

Check out with the other Picky Palate Surprise Baby Shower Bloggers Have made:

Amanda: i am baker Special Cake for a “Picky Palate”
Amanda: Kevin and Amanda Cinnamon Blueberry Biscoff Breakfast Cookies
Maria: Two Peas and Their Pod Cookies ‘n Cream Sheet Cake
Marion: Sweetopia Baby Shower Cookie Favors
Marla: Family Fresh Cooking Blueberry Mint Agua Fresca
Michelle: Brown Eyed BakeShrimp Nacho Bites
Robyn: Add a Pinch: Blue Velvet Cake
Shelly: Cookies and Cups Oreo Pop Baby Rattles
Teresa: Blooming On Bainbridge Pom Pom Cupcakes ~ Coming Soon!

Have you ever tried Biscoff or Cookie Butter Spread or baked with it?

Do you have any special baby shower (or bridal shower) recipes?

Feel free to link up your favorite recipes.

Have a great week everyone and best of luck on the upcoming birth of your third little boy, Jenny!

153 Responses to “Chocolate Banana and Biscoff Graham Bars”

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — August 20, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Awww you guys are just too sweet! And these bars! Oh my, you’re killing me here! I’m trying to diet for a weekend long vacation in Lake Tahoe but I don’t see that happening anymore!

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — August 20, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Ahhhh-mazing!! A great blend of flavors and I can only dream as to how they tasted :( I guess I’ll just have to make some..right?

Lisa | With Style and Grace — August 20, 2012 at 11:32 pm

you are so incredibly thoughtful and these just ooze with goodness!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 21st, 2012 at 7:58 am

I hope people in your real life will be showering you with showers, soon! :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — August 21, 2012 at 4:55 am

Dam girl, your bars look amazing! I need these in my life! I have to buy bananas today!! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 21st, 2012 at 6:47 am

And with your love of PB, you could use PB in them too but I really love the cookie butter!

Anina @ Aninas Recipes — August 21, 2012 at 5:06 am

Wow, how incredible to be so talented! Great recipe and great inspiration!!

Jen @ Savory Simple — August 21, 2012 at 5:32 am

These sound incredibly delicious!

Cathy @ Noble Pig — August 21, 2012 at 7:35 am

Good grief I could eat the whole plate…swoon!

Nutmeg Nanny — August 21, 2012 at 8:10 am

I’m not pregnant but if I was I eat this every single day. Then I would blame the baby. This looks amazing! Such a fun little baby shower event :)

ally — August 21, 2012 at 8:38 am

goodness me, you can do no wrong in my eyes! these look incredibly perfect. i can’t get enough of biscoff!
    xo

Emily @ Life on Food — August 21, 2012 at 9:31 am

Oh my goodness amazing!

Elana — August 21, 2012 at 10:10 am

I made these last night since I have lots of graham cracker crumbs left from making the milk bar cookies. My oven must be screwy thou since i had to cook them forever till they set! I think maybe I would cut down a little on the condensed milk and they might have cooked faster. Either way they came out yummy and rich and gooey :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 21st, 2012 at 11:41 am

My oven here runs hot and I budgeted in for that to some extent by padding the baking time I wrote in the post. However, like anything with bananas, sauce, sweetened condensed milk, nut butters – oven times will vary. Also it will continue to dry out as time passes so if it’s a little moist on day 1, that’s probably a good thing on day 3 (if they last that long!). Glad you liked them!

• Elana replied: — August 21st, 2012 at 12:27 pm

They definitely wont last that long! I had to bring them to the office to share so I didn’t eat the whole pan myself… I will be surprised if they last past lunch!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 21st, 2012 at 1:49 pm

And really, I’d always rather err on the side of a little gooey and juicy and dried out and cardboard…blech!

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes — August 21, 2012 at 11:18 am

You know, I’m starting to feel like a major creep about never having tried Biscoff. I think Biscoff may be taking over the world. I think Biscoff may be running for president. And yet I haven’t seen it in any stores and I don’t have any in my own pantry. Either way, these look amazing. I just can’t handle it. Delish, as always!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 21st, 2012 at 11:39 am

Cookie butter at TJs; extremely similar. You have TJs. Get thee some. You’re gonna fall in love with it!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — August 21, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Yummers!! These bars perfectly fits Jenny’s decadent creations :)

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life — August 22, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Ok, I just want to slurp up that flood water:-) And I’m not pregnant but I want the entire pan to myself! You have outdone yourself on these Averie:-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 22nd, 2012 at 6:19 pm

you’re the only person who’s mentioned my floodwater analogy and yes, the best flood ever :)

luvwhatyoudo — August 22, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Ohh! Those bars look so amazing. I am a huge fan of cookie butter and I can’t buy it unless I have a reason to bake with it (or I will just sit and eat the entire container), so thanks for giving me one ; )

JessicaGreene — August 23, 2012 at 10:37 am

Hi! Was wondering if using a glass baking dish would make a difference? (Instead of pan)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 23rd, 2012 at 12:51 pm

You may need to reduce the baking time and b/c of the sweetened cond milk I still HIGHLY recommend lining the pan so you’re are scraping it off. Save yourself the elbow grease!

Javelin Warrior — August 24, 2012 at 6:53 am

Wow, you managed to combine 3 of the my favorites into one bar – chocolate, biscoff and bananas! I could (and do) eat biscoff spread by the spoonful but I’ve never tried it with bananas… I’m featuring this post in today’s Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and thanks for the inspiration…

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 24, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I have tried biscoff spread and I like it :-)

Nicolas Airth — August 27, 2012 at 10:08 am

I love this recipe!! It is exactly what I have been looking for.

Kimber — August 30, 2012 at 8:20 am

As soon as I get an oven I will have to do this. Maybe I will even borrow somebody’s oven as long as I can find cookie butter. We lack nothing in the realm of Nuttella, but other butters are more hard to come by. :(

Donna — February 23, 2013 at 8:30 am

Woe is me!…Speculoos butter is easily found here in France…but not graham crackers!..Do you think I could substitute speculoos cookie crumbs and still do justice to your fabulous recipe? Would the “Biscoff” vibe become too redundant?….Thank you for your gazillion ideas for easy luscious fare….

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 23rd, 2013 at 11:25 am

The speculoos cookie crumbs would be wonderful. I wish I had easy access to them! Try them and LMK how it goes for you!

kinh nghiem phuot xe may ve mien tay — June 18, 2014 at 11:58 pm

I’m not pregnant but if I was I eat this every single day.