Double Melted Cheese and Red Pepper Dip

I was tempted to call this cheese soup rather than cheese dip because then it would have been okay to just dig in by the spoonful, which is what I wanted to do.

I know what you’re thinking. That cheese dip is gluttony in a bowl. And you know what, you’re right, it is. But it’s so good. Then again, I’ve never met a dip, sauce, spread, or condiment that I didn’t love.

Double Melted Cheese and Red Pepper Dip {aka Ro-Tel Dip or Queso Dip} - Make in the micro in 5 minutes. Dangerously fast and easy for when you've just gotta have some cheesy dip! Recipe at averiecooks.com

I worked in a cup of diced juicy, crunchy red peppers, which lent some texture amidst the oozing smooth cheese so at least you’re getting a few vegetables in.

There’s also a little four-ounce can of fire-roasted green chilis from Trader Joe’s, which added a touch of crunch, a little heat, and a pop of green. Green means vegetable. Vegetable means healthy. You can see how I rationalize my vat of cheese.

The best part of this dip is that it literally takes five minutes to make. Put the cheese, cream cheese, red peppers, and green chilis in a big bow, cover it with plastic wrap, and heat it for three to five minutes in the microwave and the dip is ready.

You could make it on the stovetop or in a slow cooker, but whenever possible I use the quickest and easiest method that dirties the least amount of dishes. I want the shortest path between me and my cheese.

The dip isn’t particularly spicy and I did that on purpose because I didn’t want Scott to complain of heartburn or Skylar to complain that her mouth was burning off. Kids can be a bit melodramatic.

The dip can be made much spicier by adding a pinch of cayenne or chili powder, more peppers, more chilis, about one cup of spicy salsa, or a couple shakes of Sriracha or Tabasco.

I served the dip with whole grain bread, red peppers spears, and carrot sticks to mitigate the gluttony effect from two kinds of melted cheese.

The combination of cheese and cream cheese melted together excites me in a grown-up way similar to how Cheez Whiz excited me as a child. If you will admit to liking Cheez Whiz, you will love this dip.

The cheese dip is a bit like cheese fondue in that anything and everything that you’d like to dunk in it from mushroom caps to sugar snap peas to broccoli crowns to chicken-on-skewers to corn chips is going to taste spectacular. Cheese has that effect on most everything. I resisted buying a bag of corn chips that were the scoop-able style because they would have come in a little too handy.

You can also play with the recipe and add additional protein including a cup of cooked beans, diced leftover chicken, crumbled tofu, tempeh, sausage, or whatever sounds good to you.

The batch makes about 4 cups. A decent amount but not obscene. If you like a little food with your dips like I do, it will go quicker than you think, especially if you have family members clamoring for their share of the silky sauce. I sent little containers of it in both Scott and Skylar’s lunches the next day and I got two containers returned to me that were literally licked clean.

The blessing, or the curse, of this dip is that the leftover portion reheated like a charm and I had hot cheese dip at my fingertips in fifteen seconds flat. Not that that’s a bad thing.

Double Melted Cheese and Red Pepper Dip (gluten-free)

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

Yield: About 20 to 24 ounces, or about 4 cups

Ingredients:

16 ounces cheese (try combinations of American, Monterrey Jack, Pepperjack, Havarti, Gruyere, Velveeta, Swiss, Cheddar or favorite easy-melting cheese)

4 ounces cream cheese (I used Trader Joe’s Whipped Light)

one 4-ounce can green chilis (I used Trader Joe’s fire-roasted green chilis)

4 ounces+ chicken, diced or shredded (canned is okay or use leftovers) or 1/2 cup crumbled tofu or tempeh (previously pan-seared if preferred), optional

1 cup diced red bell peppers

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a large microwave-safe bowl, cover with plastic-wrap, and heat on high power to melt, about 3 minutes. Stop and stir and continue to heat in 30-second bursts until cheese has melted can dip can be stirred smooth. Serve immediately with crackers, chips, bread, toasted bread rounds, pita chips, baked tortilla strips, vegetables, or your favorite crudites for dipping.

Extra dip may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and may be gently reheated prior to serving. Based on the type of cheese used, reheating may prove easier with some types (Velveeta, American, Monterrey Jack may be easier to reheat than a sharp cheddar).

Notes

This recipe is ripe for substitutions. Add any of the following with the rest of the ingredients prior to heating: 1 to 2 cups beans, 1 to 2 cups corn,1 to 2 cups salsa; cayenne, chili powder, or chiptole powder, hot sauce, Sriracha, Tabasco, garlic and onions - all are optional and all are to taste.

Related Recipes:

Corn and Double Cheese Dip – vegan, GF, fat free, serve warm or cold, 5 minutes to make

Spinach Artichoke Dip – vegan, gluten-free, fat-free, serve warm or cold, 5 minutes to make

Sweet Corn Salsa with Mango, Lime, Red Pepper – raw, vegan, gluten-free, 5 minutes to make

Spinach Artichoke and Roasted Red Pepper Cheesy Squares – Like spinach and artichoke dip, which is my favorite dip of all time, but in bar form

Homemade Spicy Honey Mustard (GF, use agave to keep vegan) – Making homemade mustard is incredible easy, uses 3 ingredients, and you can make a huge batch for literally nickles

Chips and Cheese Chili Cheese Casserole (vegetarian/vegan, GF) – Chips and cheese are baked into the casserole. Who needs noodles when you can bake in chips

What’s your favorite dip?

Feel free to link up any great dip recipes.

I love a good dip. Actually, I love most any dip from Balsamic Reduction (vegan, GF, 10 minutes to make) to Homemade Peanut Sauce (vegan, GF, 2 minutes to make). I will never turn down dip or sauce of any kind.

Thanks for the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies + KitchenAid Stand Mixer + $200 Williams-Sonoma Gift Card Giveaway entries

73 Responses to “Double Melted Cheese and Red Pepper Dip”

the 3volution of j3nn — October 3, 2012 at 12:28 am

I want to pour that all over everything. Cheese, oh how I love thee!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 3rd, 2012 at 12:43 am

Knowing what I know of you – I think you would LOVE this!!! It’s crazy good!

Kathryn — October 3, 2012 at 1:19 am

Look at all that amazing cheesy goodness!

tracy {pale yellow} — October 3, 2012 at 2:00 am

This dip amazing! I also love the bowl it’s in, I just bought one and I’ve been exclusively using it for ice cream, I’ve never considered savory options!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 3rd, 2012 at 8:47 am

Hi Tracy – thanks for saying hi and I got the bowl from Anthro and considering their stuff isn’t cheap (although those bowls weren’t too bad), I try to multi-purpose them as much as I can!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — October 3, 2012 at 3:32 am

Wow, your photography just gets better and better every time I visit! I love the cute bowl it’s in. Mmm!

Heidi kokborg — October 3, 2012 at 5:17 am

Mmmmm…. It look so good! I have to try it!

Kat Meller — October 3, 2012 at 5:22 am

Oh me I just pinned it so I won’t lose it. I’m going to be making this very soon – like maybe this weekend. Thank you for sharing this!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — October 3, 2012 at 5:28 am

I love adding in tomatoes and bell peppers for both color and the veggie factor – you know, makes you feel a little less guilty ;-)

bev @ bevcooks — October 3, 2012 at 5:40 am

Death pretty much just became me.

Laura Dembowski — October 3, 2012 at 5:46 am

Looks great. I bet that would be a hit at any party.

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — October 3, 2012 at 6:37 am

It’s like a 3D movie… I can’t keep my hand from trying to reach out and grab it!

Erica — October 3, 2012 at 6:50 am

Liquid cheese- can’t go wrong! I would love to dip some broccoli in this!

marla — October 3, 2012 at 7:02 am

Hi Averie!! Love the sound of this savory dip!!

Ashley - bakerbynature — October 3, 2012 at 7:19 am

This is so gorgeous and cheesy! I want to dip everything in it.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 3, 2012 at 7:28 am

Cheeeeeesey dips are my favourite!!!!! YUM.

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — October 3, 2012 at 7:48 am

Yeah I would eat that with a spoon too :) NO judgement. Looks amazing!

Paula — October 3, 2012 at 9:02 am

I love that “gluttony in a bowl” description but you just can’t go wrong with dips containing lots of cheese! What’s not to love?!?! I have enjoyed the raw pepper-nuts-nooch based dip since trying it a few years ago–your raw nacho cheese dip comes to mind. I just got a bag of beautiful colored bell peppers from my parents’ garden so some dip involving peppers is definitely in this week’s plan. I was also given another 3 dozen fresh eggs ( somebody likes me!!) so I just made a giant egg-spinach-pepper casserole.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 3rd, 2012 at 9:05 am

Yes the raw nacho dip is super easy and good. For something so fast with so few ingredients, raw, vegan, etc. it’s a solid contender! And you got 3 dozen more eggs? omg! I have been reading some recipes in Bon App and Saveur and similar that call for like 9 eggs and I think who has 9 eggs just laying around for 1 recipe…you do! :)

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — October 3, 2012 at 9:02 am

CHEEEEEESE! So I never was a huge fan of Cheez Whiz, though my family bought it often. I was, however, a HUGE cheese-eatin’ fool, and thankfully, have a job where I work around cheese 5 days a week :) I love that you added peppers and green chiles for color (yes, green = veggie). I want!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 3rd, 2012 at 9:04 am

I can’t believe you work in a cheese shop – still sorta jealous about that one! It’s like people who work in coffee shops or chocolate shops or work at a Mrs Field’s cookies kiosk. I wonder if it ever gets old? I doubt it :)

Cassie — October 3, 2012 at 9:15 am

Yes, I will totally eat this with a spoon. Or just drink it.

Sue/the view from great island — October 3, 2012 at 10:00 am

Is double dipping allowed? Cause I’d be diving in repeatedly. This looks fantastic.

Meghan — October 3, 2012 at 10:05 am

If only I could reach through the screen! All I need is a spoon!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — October 3, 2012 at 10:41 am

Wow, this looks incredible! However, this would absolutely DESTROY my digestive tract (dairy allergy).

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 3rd, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I’m sure you could make it with Daiya or similar dairy-free cheese that melts well.

Christy@SweetandSavoring — October 3, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Looks delicious! My sister makes a spinach-artichoke dip that is definitely *not* vegan, but I’m interested in trying this one.

*Found you via Crepes of Wrath- your blog is beautiful! Looking forward to discovering more great recipes :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — October 3, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Holy crap this looks amazing! I think I could seriously bathe in this :)

Leslie — October 3, 2012 at 1:03 pm

It a dip..it’s a dip…Its a SouperDIP!

• Leslie replied: — October 3rd, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I meant to say…Its a dip..It’s a soup..it’s a SouperDip!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — October 3, 2012 at 1:18 pm

This dip looks sinful!

Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today — October 3, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I’m with your child on this one – everything is always too spicy for me, hahaha. But I love your idea for a dip, it looks so tasty on pictures.

Christine (The Raw Project) — October 3, 2012 at 1:50 pm

This looks fabulous, must try a vegan version!

Minxi — October 3, 2012 at 1:57 pm

This looks so delicious. I’m a huge fan of cheese dips, and I have a ton of peppers in my fridge from my CSA! Can’t wait to make it :)

sally @ sallys baking addiction — October 3, 2012 at 2:42 pm

“I want the shortest path between me and my cheese.” hahaha and this is how I know we’d be real life bffs. Literally laughed out loud at that one! While I love hot appetizer dips… who has time to bake one? My friend makes a killer hot cheese crab dip – takes 45 mins in the oven. FOR A DIP! Still SO incredibly good though.

I definitely like my food spicy and thankfully Kevin does too! I’d totally add some salsa to this per your suggestion – like a super cheesy queso dip with shredded chicken. oh my word, that sounds SO good right about now. Only if I had fantastic anthro bowls to serve it in. Sigh!

I’d go dip crazy here – celery, more red pepper slices, soft pretzel bites (that sounds SO good!!), pita, pretzels, etc. :) Oh and that second to last overhead shot – GORGEOUS!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 3rd, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I know the type of crab dip you’re talking about and it’s heavenly! It also has $15 worth of lump crab alone in it probably. This one set me back about…$4-5 for the cheese, chilis, and pepper. And takes 5 mins! Some shedded chicken, salsa, make this the next time you’re having one of your little girls nights. Seriously put it all in a bowl, press power on, on the micro for 5 mins, and you’re a star!

And thanks for the pic compliments and the bowl – I’ve now played it out. That’s the thing…I need new ones b/c it’s so identifiable that after a few uses (I have 2 white and 2 teal) and a few recipes, they’re played out!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — October 3, 2012 at 5:50 pm

oh my this looks heavenly! Looks like the perfect football party dip!

Michele Sparrow — October 3, 2012 at 5:56 pm

This dip looks so festive! It reminds me of the cheese sauce that comes on nachos at hockey or basketball games! You know, the kind that is so much fun to eat!

I have always loved dips; all kinds. Growing up, we would eat onion and/or clam dip with ruffles, spicy nacho cheese dip with Nacho Cheese Doritos or large, crunchy sourdough pretzels, spicy bean dips with Fritos and Cool Ranch chips with ranch dressing (though that is technically not a dip!) Traditional salsas were a favorite, too. Yes, ma’am – we were a dip family! :-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 3rd, 2012 at 5:59 pm

That’s pretty much what this is, in a slightly classier way. Slightly classier than hockey game nachos, but not by much. Lol

Cool Ranch always played 2nd fiddle to original for me, but…when you wan a C.R.chip, Nothing! else will do :)

Amber K — October 3, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I just want to eat cheese in liquid form. Or solid form. Or any form. Or just cheese… ;)

Kathy Steger @FoodWineThyme — October 3, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Looks like it would be perfect as Fondue. ;)

Viola — October 3, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Could your blog be any more beautiful, fun and full of gorgeousness? So adding it to my favorites!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — October 3, 2012 at 7:56 pm

oh my gosh AMAZING!! this is a “lick the bowl” recipe!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — October 3, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I am so coming to visit you! I love this kind of dip! Peppers and cheese, yes please! You have the best recipes!!

Ellen — October 3, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Hot diggity that dip looks rad;) I probably would eat it like soup. As for my favorite dips, I am obsessed with pimiento cheese-I made a spicy rendition here:
    I will have to put yours on my to try list!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 3rd, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I LOVE pimento cheese! I won’t even buy it b/c I am too in love with it! I don’t even wanna make my own…lol

Angela @ AnotherBitePlease — October 4, 2012 at 5:31 am

pinning this bad boy to eat up with a spoon..lol during football game. love thepictures – especially of that yummy cheese dripping!

Jen @ Savory Simple — October 4, 2012 at 6:43 am

Looooove cheese dip!

Bree — October 4, 2012 at 9:48 am

Sounds so good and I love that you can just make it in the microwave!

Marina@Picnic at Marina — October 8, 2012 at 8:25 am

I’ve never met a cheese dip that I didn’t like either.. :) Although, I am a bit picky about a cheese when I make it, but would eat any dip. Great recipe, Averie… :) Love your photos, bread one is fantastic!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 8th, 2012 at 7:47 pm

now THIS is your kind of recipe! And all it takes is…5 mins! :)

marie @ little kitchie — October 31, 2012 at 8:33 am

how did i miss this recipe the first time around?? thank you for including it in your monthly recap – i am going to make it tonight to snack on while we pass out halloween candy! YUM!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 31st, 2012 at 8:56 am

Oh it’s so good! Prepare to have a very good night with a bowl of this in front of you. LMK how it is! :)

Ruth Sophia — May 6, 2014 at 7:08 am

I made this to take somewhere, so to keep it warm I put it in a 1 1/2 quart crockpot I have. Plugged it in on arrival and set it to “warm” so people could enjoy it all night! I left out the jalepenos, because I can’t take the heat … no one knew they were supposed to be there – It was a big hit!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 6th, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Glad you liked it and yes, keeping it in a crockpot is the ticket! It’s like fondue that way :)