Sunflower Seed Peanut Butter

There’s no shortage of peanut butter recipes on my blog.

I adore anything with peanut butter in it.

Sunflower Seed Peanut Butter - Creamy, velvety smooth and irresistible! You'll want to dip your spoon into the jar until it's gone!

And I love making homemade peanut butter. In my first cookbook, Peanut Butter Comfort, there are 27 recipes for homemade peanut butter variations.

But I’ll cheat on my beloved peanut butter for Sunflower Seed ButterThere’s a certain nuttiness, earthiness, and distinct flavor that’s unique and fabulous.

I made a hybrid using both sunflower seeds and peanuts, marrying my two favorite butters into one. It’s creamy, drippy, and velvety smooth. It’s nothing like the texture of most commercially-made peanut butters.

I prefer to bake with those kind of classic peanut butters because they yield the best, fluffiest, and most consistent results in cookies and bars, but for eating straight out of the jar (who needs bread), nothing compares to homemade.

If you’ve never made peanut butter before, this post has step-by-step photos showcasing each stage the peanuts go through before turning into peanut butter. This post is similar using sunflower seeds.

Most notably, make sure you have a full-sized food processor, put the seeds in first, and let them process for 10 to 15 minutes, or until you see the early stages of sunflower seed butter before adding the peanuts.

While the food processor works its magic, go organize your closet, de-clutter your car, or find something outside that needs attention. It’s a loud, somewhat lengthy process and you don’t have to stand around babysitting it. Nothing ‘bad’ can happen by ‘over-processing’ and if anything, the longer the better an ultra-smooth spread.

It’s silky smooth with such rich flavors. Interestingly, the spread tasted better as time passed. It was good coming out of the food processor but a few days later, it was even better. And about a week later the flavors had married and mellowed, and the little bit I had left in the jar was heavenly.

It’s so hard to resist dipping my spoon into the jar, over and over, until it’s gone.

Print Print Save Save

Sunflower Seed Peanut Butter

I made a hybrid using both sunflower seeds and peanuts, and it’s creamy, drippy, has a velvety smooth texture, and is nothing like the texture of most commercially-made peanut butter. You'll need a full-sized food processor, put the seeds in first, and let them process for 10 to 15 minutes, or until you see the early stages of sunflower seed butter before adding the peanuts. Nothing ‘bad’ can happen by ‘over-processing’ and if anything, the longer the better an ultra-smooth spread. It’s silky smooth with such rich flavors. It’ll be very hard to resist dipping you spoon into the jar over and over.

Yield: about 16 ounces

Prep Time: about 20 to 25 minutes

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: about 25 minutes

Ingredients:

2 cups sunflower seeds, shelled (I use roasted and lightly salted; use your favorite)
2 cups peanuts, shelled (I used roasted and lightly salted here; honey roasted are excellent)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional and to taste
pinch salt, optional and to taste

Directions:

1. To the canister of a full-sized food processor (not a mini, Magic Bullet, etc.), add sunflower seeds and process on high power until broken down, creamy and beginning to smooth out, about 10 to 20 minutes. Stop to scrape down the sides of the canister if necessary; however, I find the less scraping and interruptions, the better. The seeds go through stages: crushed, crushed into a fine powder, a paste, a thicker paste, a big 'dough ball', and then the ball breaks down into runnier sunflower seed butter.
  2. At the point the sunflower seed butter is runny or nearly so, add the peanuts through the feed tube. Process for about 10 minutes, or until the spread is as smooth, buttery, and as creamy as desired. I've never experienced harm in 'over-processing' and always process about 2 minutes more after I think the spread is done to ensure it's as silky smooth as possible.
  3. Optionally, through the feed tube add vanilla, salt, and process until incorporated, about 1 minute.
  4. Transfer to an airtight container, preferably a glass jar with lid. Spread firms up some as it cools, but stays quite soft and runny; it doesn't separate. Spread will keep airtight at room temperature for weeks and for months in the fridge (hardens some but softens at room temp). No preservatives are added so use common sense with storage. Recipe as written is vegan and gluten-free.

Related Recipes

Homemade White Chocolate and Butterscotch Sunflower Seed Butter

Homemade White Chocolate and Butterscotch Sunflower Seed Butter - Saves money and tastes incredible! Easy recipe at averiecooks.com
Homemade Peanut Butter (GF, vegan depending on type of peanuts used)  The spread that started it all and one of the most pinned and my most popular recipes. Fresh homemade peanut butter is like nothing else, and there’s no comparison to storebought. Even the grind-your-own options at natural-food grocery stores are nothing like making it at home

Homemade Peanut Butter in 10 Minutes (Vegan, GF) averiecooks.com

Honey Roasted Butterscotch White Chocolate Peanut Butter (GF) – This peanut butter is one of my all-time favorites

Honey Roasted Butterscotch White Chocolate Peanut Butter (GF)

Cinnamon Chip and White Chocolate Peanut Butter (GF) – If you like cinnamon, this is the spread for you. Sweet with a nice pop of robust cinnamon flavor

Homemade Cinnamon Chip and White Chocolate Peanut Butter - Recipe at averiecooks.com

Homemade Cookie Butter Peanut Butter – A homemade spin on Cookie Butter or Biscoff Spread, made by blending peanuts with gingersnap cookies and cinnamon, which give the spread a slightly grainy texture, similar to the texture of storebought

Homemade Cookie Butter Peanut Butter @Averie Sunshine {Averie Cooks}

Chocolate Peanut Butter Decadent, rich, and perfect for all of us who know that one of the most perfect flavor pairings ever is chocolate + peanut butter

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter in 10 Minutes (Vegan, GF) averiecooks.com

42 Responses to “Sunflower Seed Peanut Butter”

Russell from Chasing Delicious — August 18, 2014 at 7:29 am

What an awesome recipe idea! And I am loving this little collection of nut and peanut butters you have going. Yum!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 18th, 2014 at 7:31 am

Thanks, Russell! After writing my first cookbook, I got addicted to making my own spreads. Never the same thing twice :)

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — August 18, 2014 at 7:30 am

Oooooh, now I’m intrigued. I’ve only had sunflower seeds a handful of times- but now I want this peanut butter. Pinned!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 18th, 2014 at 7:32 am

I have an idea, this PB on top of your banana cake (along with your frosting too)…the more the merrier :) Thanks for pinning!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — August 18, 2014 at 7:31 am

Ooo! This version of PB looks fantastic! I love sunflower seeds so I definitely have to try this! Pinned!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 18th, 2014 at 7:32 am

Thanks, Anna, and your bread post…so, so good! :)

lisatberry — August 18, 2014 at 8:16 am

This would be awesome over vanilla ice cream…its drippy enough to spread over the ice cream without being clumpy

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 18th, 2014 at 10:26 pm

drippy enough to spread over the ice cream without being clumpy = yes, EXACTLY!

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! — August 18, 2014 at 8:44 am

You are the peanut butter queen! This one looks amazing, as all your nut butter recipes do! :)

Trisha @ Home Sweet Homemade — August 18, 2014 at 8:47 am

I am a big fan of the middle-eastern confection halva, and I have a feeling this has the same flavors! Yum, thank you for this recipe, I can’t wait to try a big spoonful!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 18th, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Oh enjoy! LMK how it goes and how it compares to halva!

Monica @ Mocha and Moccasins — August 18, 2014 at 9:10 am

Out of all of the nut butters I’ve tried, I don’t think I’ve ever tried a sunflower seed recipe! The texture looks phenomenal and I love the mix of adding peanuts! Pinned :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 18th, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Thanks for pinning and you’re going to love the texture and taste!

Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice — August 18, 2014 at 9:17 am

Wow! I am totally blown away by this peanut butter, Averie! I never knew that you could use sunflower seeds in peanut butter! This looks AMAZING! Pinned!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 18th, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Thanks for pinning and you’re going to love it!

Eve @ Baking the Day — August 18, 2014 at 9:28 am

I love the combination of peanuts and sunflower seeds. The texture looks so silky and smooth and definitely not “stick to the roof of your mouth” like nearly all shop-bought peanut and seed butters. Can’t wait to try! Pinned!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 18th, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Thanks for pinning and it has zero “stick to the roof of your mouth” issues. Totally different texture! Smooth and silky rather than sticky or ‘firm’ and in one big mass like storebought where you can ‘plop’ it out of the jar in rounded dollops.

Miriam @ OvertimeCook — August 18, 2014 at 9:41 am

What a great twist on peanut butter! I am loving this recipe.

Katie — August 18, 2014 at 10:24 am

What a genius idea! ;)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 18th, 2014 at 10:27 pm

You may have tried this idea one or ten thousand times already :)

marla — August 18, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Mmmmmm! So many great dips & spread here Averie! Gotta try this sunflower seed butter recipe :) Pinned!

sippitysup — August 18, 2014 at 3:13 pm

This is a really fun idea. Kind of like The Age of Aquarius style nut butter. Back when my parents were suburban hippies they practically ate nothing but sunflower seeds for what seemed like years. GREG

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 18th, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Oh wow, I love the sound of your parents :) That’s so cool they were so hippy-ish! :)

Heather @ Shards of Lavender — August 18, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I tried making straight sunflower butter a few years ago and, while it was tasty, the gray color was quite unappetizing. Yours looks amazing and I’m inspired to try again.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 18th, 2014 at 10:09 pm

You know, there is a gray-ish, green-ish weird shade that can happen with some batches of SF Butter. Not always, but it can. Just like sometimes when baking with it, things will turn green (I think if there’s baking soda present, that can do it?) but trust me, I know that color and I think it just varies, batch by batch, based on the seeds used.

ahu — August 18, 2014 at 4:32 pm

I never even thought to make my own peanut butter but you are inspiring me with all these amazing variations. So unique and beautiful!

Paula — August 18, 2014 at 4:58 pm

I love making my own nut/seed butters but have never made one with peanuts and sunflower seeds. This is undoubtedly a winning combo! You are so right about the difference between homemade and “grind your own” in the store. There is still something grainy about the texture so I like to let the processor take it to that warm runny stage. I’m out of peanuts and have about 1/4 cup of SF seeds but I’d be happy to restock the ingredients and give this a test run later in the week!!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 18th, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Yes, that uber smooth quality, to the warm and runny stage, that’s when you know it’s done! That’s the best! LMK if you try this!

• Paula replied: — August 22nd, 2014 at 7:19 pm

I made this tonight–soooo good!! I think it will be my current nut butter obsession and it’s economical too. Apparently there was a recent recall on a couple of commercial nut butter brands (due to salmonella I think) so that is just one more reason to make my own. Really love this little marriage of 2 of my favorites!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 22nd, 2014 at 8:39 pm

So glad you love this, Paula, and the recall you’re talking about is this http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm410533.htm It actually is a MASSIVE recall effecting everyone from Safeway, TJ’s, Whole Foods, and many more. I just sent it to a friend last night saying we should not have to worry about salmonella in nut butter (it’s not meat or eggs, my god!) but apparently we do and as you said, another reason why making your own is way better!

So glad you love this and that it’ll be your new fave! A marriage of my 2 faves, too! If you’re careful (melt it first and then be super careful so it doesn’t cause your nut butter to sieze) but drizzling in melted white chocolate is amazing. As is a decent splash of bourbon (or whiskey or vanilla). :)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — August 18, 2014 at 5:19 pm

I love that you mixed sunflower seeds with peanuts, so good!

Denise @ Sweet Peas & Saffron — August 18, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I just bought my first food processor, it must be a sign from above ;) This PB looks delicious, would never think of making a sunflower seed butter, brilliant! Pinned.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 18th, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Thanks for pinning and first food proc? Congrats! That’s awesome, you’re going to love it!

Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen — August 18, 2014 at 11:46 pm

I love making nut butters at home and honestly cannot wait to try this one! I discovered TJ’s sunflower seed butter when visiting the States this year and fell in love (with both TJ’s and the sunflower seed butter). Pinned and tweeted :D

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — August 19, 2014 at 3:24 pm

I absolutely LOVE sunflower seeds. As a kid I was so jealous of everyone who could crack a mouthful of seeds and spit out the shells — even as an adult I’m STILL not able to do that, so I always cheat and buy the bags of pre-shelled seeds, haha! This butter looks fantastic and a great change up from standard PB.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 19th, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Omg I do not have ANY such skills like that, at all. I can run a marathon but if I tried to crack a sunflower seed shell, I’d probably crack my teeth and bite my lip, all in one fell swoop LOL

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — August 19, 2014 at 9:01 pm

ooooooooh I love the idea of combining the flavors of the pb and sunflower seed butter! Delish!

Julie — August 20, 2014 at 10:18 am

Wow, another great sauce! I’ll have to try this one as well.

Jen @ Baked by an Introvert — August 20, 2014 at 11:43 am

I love homemade nut butters. I would have never thought to use sunflower seeds. I can’t wait to try it!

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking — August 21, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I was SO impressed by how many homemade PB recipes you included in your cookbook! I was sitting on the airplane flying back from BHF in Miami, and I started craving it so badly… I actually found one of those individual cups of PB that hotels and places offer to put on your morning toast and ate that on my transferring flight. ;) Love this sunflower seed version — it definitely belongs in your cookbook too!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 21st, 2014 at 8:22 pm

I read other blogger’s cookbooks on flights, too! I remember one long flight a few years ago, I read a good 100 pages of Deb/SK’s book!