Easy Better-Than-Takeout Chicken Fried Rice
I’m not sure why but I have very few rice dishes on my site.
Time to change that with this easy, one-skillet recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes and better than takeout.
You’ll never be tempted again to eat rice from a flimsy white takeout container after trying homemade.
To save time if you don’t have leftover rice on hand or don’t want to cook a batch, use two pouches of ready-to-serve rice. Works like a charm. I don’t even bother thawing the frozen peas and carrot blend that’s mixed into the rice.
The chicken is moist and juicy and there are green onions, garlic, sesame oil, and soy sauce for layers of flavor.
My favorites are the bits of scrambled eggs. Fried rice just isn’t fried rice without those coveted bits of eggs that I go searching for and devour those little treasures first.
It’s such an easy and healthy weeknight dinner you can whip up in no time and the leftovers are great for lunches.
Make sure you’re following me on Instagram for the highlights from my weekend!
Easy Better-Than-Takeout Chicken Fried Rice
This easy, one-skillet recipe is ready in 20 minutes and better than takeout. You’ll never be tempted again to eat rice from a flimsy white takeout container after trying homemade. To save time if you don’t have leftover rice on hand or don’t want to cook a batch, use two pouches of ready-to-serve rice. The chicken is moist and juicy and there are green onions, garlic, sesame oil, and soy sauce for layers of flavor. My favorites are the bits of scrambled eggs. It’s such an easy and healthy weeknight dinner you can whip up in no time and the leftovers are great for lunches.
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 3/4 to 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and diced carrots blend (I don’t thaw and use straight from the freezer)
- 3 green onions, trimmed and sliced into thin rounds
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups cooked rice (I use white, long-grain or brown may be substituted. To save time use two 8.8-ounce pouches cooked and ready-to-serve rice)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- salt and pepper, optional and to taste
- To a large non-stick skillet or wok, add the oils, chicken, and cook over medium-high heat for about 3 to 5 minutes, flipping intermittently so all sides cook evenly. Cooking time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts and sizes of pieces. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon (allow oils and cooking juices from chicken to remain in skillet) and place chicken on a plate; set aside.
- Add the peas, carrots, green onions, and cook for about 2 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften, stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stir intermittently.
- Push vegetables to one side of the skillet, add the eggs to the other side, and cook to scramble, stirring as necessary.
- Add the chicken, rice, evenly drizzle with soy sauce, optional salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until chicken is reheated through. Recipe is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months. Reheat gently as desired.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Easy Sweet and Sour Asian Noodles – So much flavor in these easy noodles that are ready in 30 minutes! Plenty of vegetables add great crunch! You won’t miss takeout when homemade tastes way better and is healthier!
Peanut Chicken with Peanut Noodles – Easy, ready in 20 minutes, tastes better, and way healthier than takeout! Peanut sauce automatically makes everything taste amazing!
Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Chicken – The easiest peanut chicken ever and your slow cooker does all the work! Topped with crunchy peanuts, cilantro, green onions, and the peanut sauce is irresistible!
Vegetable Fried Rice Frittata – A fried rice and vegetable stir fry that’s baked with creamy eggs! Fast, easy, and healthy!
Lime Cilantro Chicken with Mixed Rice and Black Beans – Easy, one skillet, 15-minute meal! Tons of textures and bold flavors in every bite! The lime makes this dish just pop!
Easy One-Skillet Sausage and Peppers with Rice – Juicy sausage, crisp peppers, onions, and rice all cook together in one skillet! Makes cleanup a breeze! Packed with flavor and ready in 30 minutes!
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Quinoa – All the flavor of chicken enchiladas, minus the work of rolling them! Juicy chicken, corn, black beans, peppers, and loads of melted cheese! Easy, one-skillet, and ready in 30 minutes!
kinny Broccoli and Mixed Vegetable Stir Fry – Skip takeout and make your own fast, easy, and healthy stir fry! Think of all the money and calories you’ll save!