Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

This recipe has me really excited!

Healthy No-Bake Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites - When you're craving cookie dough, make this healthy version that tastes like the real thing! Ready in 5 minutes & so easy!

If you like cookie dough as much as I do, I know you will love these little doughy balls.

The beauty of this recipe is that because they are vegan (and gluten free) so you don’t have to worry when eating raw cookie dough.

Well, the only worry is that these little cookie dough bites are good.  A little too good.  Ahem.

Tip:  You can make them in batches and store extras in a tub in the freezer and take out a handful at a time.

Or don’t store them in the freezer...

And just go to town on them right away

Print Print Save Save

Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites (gluten-free, soy-free)

They taste just like real cookie dough, except they're raw, vegan, gluten-free and healthy. They freeze wonderfully so consider making a double batch and stashing a dozen in the freezer for when your cookie dough cravings strike!

Yield: Approximately 17 Cookie Dough Balls

Prep Time: 10

Total Time: 10

Ingredients:

2/3 c raw cashews
1/3 c oats
2 Tbsp Agave
1 Tbsp Maple Syrup (Omit and use Agave to preserve true Raw Status if you care)
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 c Chocolate Chips (or to preserve true raw status, take 2 Tbsp Raw Cocoa Powder and add 1 Tbsp Agave, optional dash of vanilla extract, whisk and blend.  Spread into a thin layer on wax or parchment paper, freeze.  Take frozen chocolate off parchment and crumble the shreds into the mixture as your raw "chips".)

Directions:

Blend the cashews and oats in a Vita-Mix, food processor, or high speed blender until they're a fine powder. Don't overblend or you'll wind up with cashew butter very quickly.

Add the agave, maple, vanilla and blend until incorporated. Be careful to just blend in short bursts and only until combined; don't over-process.

Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.

Form into balls and serve. If dough is sticky, chilling it in the refrigerator or flash-chilling it in the freezer helps make it easier to work with.

Step-By-Step Photos and Tips

Take Oats & Cashews and get ready to Blend in your VitaMix

After you have your Oat-n-Cashew Flour…

…To it Add the Agave, Maple, & Vanilla Extract

Blend Again

Tip for Vita-Mix Users: You know you have “The Right Consistency” of Dough when the dough starts to ball up like a tennis ball and bangs around from side to side in the canister. I have learned this through trial and error and wanted to pass along my wisdom.  Once you see The Ball (what I am talking about is in the above photo) start whipping around, Stop Blending. You have reached Perfect Dough Consistency Status.

Add the Chocolate Chips (or the Raw Chocolate Chips like I told you how to make)

Either Stir them in By Hand, of a 5 Second Blend in the VitaCookie (or Food Processor)

Transfer Dough Blob to plate or working surface.  Tip: If for some reason your dough was too sticky, gummy, runny, or unworkable, refrigerate for a half hour and you should be back in business.

Roll Into Cute Raw Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls.  I yielded 17 Balls from this Recipe.  Clearly, not an exact science but that’s what I got.

The Pretty Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

Pretty is nice.  But they are freakin’ amazing. I am not just saying that, either.

Optional Tweaks:
Add a dusting of cocoa powder, carob powder, or powdered sugar to the finished balls
Roll in raw cocoa nibs or shredded coconut
Rather than adding in chocolate chips, add raisins instead and add a dash of cinnamon to the batter for Oatmeal-Cinnamon-Raisin Raw Cookie Dough Balls
Flatten or mold into larger cookie shapes
Dehydrate for a more “cooked tasting” version of a chocolate chip cookie.  But gawd I love the raw dough taste so this is out for me!

Now I wanted to touch on about why this may be one of my best dessert recipes ever! For me, a recipe has to encompass many things if I am going to actually make it and then continue making it as it becomes a go-to favorite.

Some of those recipe elements include:
1. Easy.  The less steps the better.
2. Time Involved. If I cannot make the entire thing from walking into my pantry to grab the dry goods to the last dish is dried and put away 30 minutes later then I am probably not going to make it.  I have a life outside of the kitch, too.
3. One appliance. For me, this is my Vita-Mix.  For you, it may be your food processor. Dehydrated food is lovely, but it can be a lonnnnng wait and too much advance planning.  And also the amount of dishes involved factors in here too.  If you need a whisk, spoon, spatula, mixer beaters, Vita canisters, dehydrator screens, 7 bowls, forget it.  One Appliance Please.
4. Very simple and short ingredient list.  Nothing exotic.  Nothing too expensive to deplete your savings account.
5. Taste.  Must be excellent and if it’s a raw approximation of Something Else, it’s gotta taste like the Something Else it’s trying to be otherwise why bother. Just eat the Something Else or skip it entirely.  Unless I can make a raw approximation that is spot-on in the flavor department, I’d rather just not have it.

These Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls have all of items 1 through 5. And using the above as my criteria, the cookie dough balls are in company with these other Raw Vegan Desserts I have created that also encompass items 1 through 5:

Raw Vegan Donut Holes

Raw Vegan Chocolate Donut Holes

Raw Vegan Apple Crumble

And All my raw baking tips that I just gave you in the recipe!  Now go make yourself some of these Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

330 Responses to “Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls”

Alicia — May 17, 2012 at 11:34 am

Thank you for such a wonderful, flexible and forgiving recipe! I’ve experimented with various additions and it always turns out great! What a fantastic way to quell the cravings!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 17th, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I love comments like this…thank you for telling me not only have you made it tons but also experimented and that you find it flexible & forgiving…me too!

Thanks for reading & for making this recipe (and making it different ways!)

jenn — May 25, 2012 at 9:07 pm

i am so glad someone pinned this on Pinterest! Glad to have found your site! Thanks for sharing. These will be fun treats for the summer when it’s too hot to cook but we still want a treat! also, these are so much healthier than non vegan cookie dough so i won’t feel bad if i eat a few too many ;)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 25th, 2012 at 9:42 pm

thanks for saying hi & please keep me posted if you make these!

Jessie — June 29, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I love cookie dough balls so much! Best recipe ever! I share them with all my yoga buddies and they love them too. Thank you for sharing!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 29th, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Love this comment and that you’re so into them and you’re sharing them with all your yoga buddies :)

Melaina from Rudi's Gluten Free Bakery — July 2, 2012 at 2:33 pm

These look so sinful yet they are so healthy! WOW! A must make for our office and definitely for me at home! Thanks so much for the recipe, keep creating amazing things – we love it all! :)

Violet — July 6, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Just made these with GF oats and in place of maple and/or agave used coconut nectar. They turned out AMAZING!

Caity — July 6, 2012 at 4:30 pm

What can I use instead of agave in your vegan chocolate chip cookie dough? I don’t think have a place where I can get it…

Anna — July 10, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Can you make these in a blender?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 10th, 2012 at 10:42 pm

It depends on the type of blender but I’d say yes…and I’d say try! There’s no harm in trying!

Tasanee "arizona girl" — July 13, 2012 at 8:43 am

I calculated the calories for this and thought I’d pass it on if anyone cares.
    total calories in the recipe: 1044
    when making 17 balls, per serving is calories: 61.5, fat: 3.2, fiber: .7

schremlin — July 13, 2012 at 7:57 pm

this recipe is fabulous! i made a double batch of the dough (omitted agave and instead used four tbsp. maple syrup and two tbsp. water for the double batch), then separated it into three sections. for the first section, after i formed each ball i rolled it in a small bowl of finely shredded coconut. the second section was the same but with rainbow sprinkles. for the third i added mini chocolate chips to the dough then rolled the bites. i refrigerated all of them for about 30min before serving. i think the choc chip bites were my favorite but the coconut ones were really good as well – i think if i made them again i’d also put some coconut in the dough itself in addition to the coating on the outside. the sprinkle ones were okay, but i think next time i’ll use colored sugar instead (there was a bit too much crunch with the sprinkles). thanks so much for sharing this!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 13th, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Glad you loved them and were so creative. Here is a variation to them, with coconut – since you’re a coconut fan

• schremlin replied: — July 14th, 2012 at 7:59 am

that’s so funny – after i made this batch, i was thinking these would be really good as “almond joy” bites with a 50/50 mix of almonds and cashews to blend with the oats, then add coconut and choc chips. i’ll use the recipe you listed and just add the almonds to it and see how it goes – hopefully it still has a good creamy texture, thanks again for this recipe, really i can’t thank you enough! i don’t really like plain nuts or nut butter so i’m always on the lookout for recipes that incorporate nuts and these bites are just soooo good!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 14th, 2012 at 10:04 am

I would caution against using too many almonds; they don’t quite give the same richness, creaminess, and just overall effect that cashews do. The cashews are basically your “butter” substitute in the dough; almonds just don’t work the same magical way. They’re “fine” but I love my cashews.

• schremlin replied: — July 15th, 2012 at 8:10 am

i made the “almond joy” bites last night and they were really good – definitely not as smooth and creamy tasting as the 100% cashew version but almond joys aren’t super smooth either so i think it worked out well. mixing the almonds in is also a good way to cut down on some saturated fat, though they do add more fat overall. if anyone is interested, these are the ingredients i used to make the almond joy bites:

1/3c almonds
            1/3c cashews
            1/3c oats
            1/3c finely shredded coconut
            2tbsp. maple syrup
            1tbsp. water
            1tsp. vanilla
            1/4c mini choc chips
            extra coconut to coat bites after rolling

…some people may like more choc chips than i used – choc is a pretty strong flavor to me so i didn’t want to add so much that the coconut didn’t come through.

• schremlin replied: — July 15th, 2012 at 12:01 pm

correction: 1/8c choc. chips.

Anonymous — July 13, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I don’t know if anyone has already mentioned this in the comments, but agave nectar is highly processed and not raw. http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=highly+processed+agave&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Jen — July 14, 2012 at 6:06 am

Just made this – yum! My new favorite. I ate a couple “raw’ and then put some flattened-out, cookie-shaped ones in the dehydrator. So quick in the Vitamix! And they really do taste like gooey choco-chip cookies.

Olivia — July 15, 2012 at 9:58 pm

You Are aware that there is milk in chocolate, and milk is an animal product… Therefore your “vegan” cookie dough isn’t vegan at all??

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 15th, 2012 at 10:23 pm

In milk chocolate, there’s milk, of course.

In semi-sweet chocolate, no, there’s no milk. Not in the semi-sweet chocolate I use or that most people use anyway – just cocoa butter solids. Or buy vegan chocolate chips that are certified vegan, which guarantees no trace milk or cross contamination in processing.

So yes, they are 100% vegan.

Kim — July 18, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I know what I’m going to be making tomorrow. These look yummy! Thanks for posting this.

Chelsee — July 21, 2012 at 10:38 am

I am so excited to try out this recipe, both as cookie dough balls and as dehydrator cookies.
    After finding one of your recipes on Pinterest your blog has given me all kinds of exciting new things to try- I’ll have to find more hours in the day so I can make them all. I’ll also probably need to find people to help me eat it all, or else a gym membership.

Kat — July 23, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Just made these; so easy & yummy!! Thank you

Sheryll — July 25, 2012 at 11:11 am

I was wondering if you ever tried peanuts. We always have peanuts on hand.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 25th, 2012 at 12:07 pm

cashews give the feel and taste of butter b/c of their softness and creaminess in a way that peanuts don’t; peanuts aren’t “bad” and they will work, but will not be nearly as authentic as using cashews, which are softer, creamier, blend better, and for this recipe, my #1 choice by a landslide.

Lindsay — August 12, 2012 at 4:36 am

This looks great. I was wondering if you could substitute the maple syrup and the agave for honey instead as that is what I have on hand.

Thanks!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 12th, 2012 at 6:24 am

You can try it – I find honey is much thicker & stickier to work with than agave or maple so the ratios may be a little different but similar and it will add a different flavor than agave or maple. Never know til you try!

• Hopie Dopie replied: — September 9th, 2012 at 5:14 am

I used honey and they were delicious, and the stickyness only made licking my fingers more fun haha

marcus — August 13, 2012 at 9:25 am

Hi, raw cashews I believe are poisonous. Other than that sounds like a great recipe that I can’t wait to try :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 13th, 2012 at 9:32 am

Pretty sure they’re not poisonous or I, and millions of others, would be dead. All nuts have aflatoxins, if that’s what you’re referring to…some nuts in higher proportion than others. Peanuts actually are much higher in aflatoxins than cashews.

• S replied: — October 4th, 2012 at 4:38 pm

“raw cashews” are not actually raw – they are steamed…so no worries.

Jess — August 25, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Any chance you could come up with a nut-free version? I’m gluten free and allergic to nuts.

• A replied: — May 27th, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Maybe try avocado instead of the cashews. I substitute avocados all the time for butter. Butter is very difficult to sub because of the fat and creaminess and the avocado has both. Taste does not change and just like the cashews, it is a healthy fat. Still a fast which has calories, but a healthy fast.

• A replied: — May 27th, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Meant to say, still a fat, not fast.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 27th, 2013 at 5:48 pm

While avocados make a great substitute for butter/fat in many applications, I personally would not use them in this recipe. The cashews are dry, dusty, and serve as both fat and behave like a ‘flour’, serving to glue and anchor the dough so it comes together; whereas an avocado is gloppy and wet, and will make the dough wetter and won’t allow it to combine.

Not to mention, avocados oxidize (turn brown) and so shelf-stability goes out the window. One of the reasons I love these balls is that they don’t need refrigeration and will last week(s) at room temperature (or months in the fridge/freezer) whereas with fresh avocado in them, that would not be possible.

If you’re look for a dessert recipes for avocados, I have some tagged here http://www.averiecooks.com/tag/avocado (mousse, smoothies, ice cream, etc.)

I love avocados and I love these cookie dough balls, but – not together. But to each her own!

Hopie Dopie — September 9, 2012 at 5:13 am

Wow, amazing much??? I cannot stop eating these, they taste better than cookie dough!! yum – thanks soooooo much for posting this!!!! :D

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 9th, 2012 at 9:24 am

I’m glad they were a big hit and that you loved them and glad to know the honey worked out for you!

J — September 25, 2012 at 12:23 am

I like your 5 recipe elements–I’m totally with ya on those requirements!

StyleBomb — October 3, 2012 at 1:18 pm

This is a genius idea! I’m going to make them tonight!

S — October 4, 2012 at 4:37 pm

3 things: 1) so-called raw cashews are actually steamed, so they are not poisonous. 2) I have a very cheap Oster blender. While I couldn’t quite get the consistency seen in the photos (after several minutes of blending), the dough balls looked almost the same after I rolled them up and they taste good. I think with my blender I might add just a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon more agave in the future. Stuff got pretty stuck around the base of the blender and it probably pushed the limits of my machine. 3) While mine didn’t come out just like cookie dough – it was good, and certainly a million times better than some blackbean version floating around the web.

Brittany — October 8, 2012 at 12:59 pm

This was DELICIOUS, but it did not make 17 cookie dough balls, it made roughly ten. (used a tablespoon to shape them)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 8th, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Mine are slightly smaller than a tbsp in size. Also, I have found that b/c a Vitamix can get things incredibly, incredibly smooth, the yield is slightly higher b/c of how compacted the dough becomes. Just something I’ve determined over the years. Glad you like them!

Rebecca — October 8, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I just made these, they are amazing. How do you not eat the whole batch because i am about to!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 8th, 2012 at 7:36 pm

So glad you love them – put them in the freezer in a container. It may help :) They freeze beautifully for months and months.

Karoliina — October 17, 2012 at 11:31 am

Wow, these are soooo good! Thanks for the receipe, and a great & inspiring blog. :)

Abbey — October 19, 2012 at 6:05 am

These look SO good. I flounder between vegan and not, mainly because I am allergic to all nuts, and it’s so hard for me to make many of the yummy recipes! Is there anything that can be substituted for the cashews? Thanks!

Phyllis Lucas — October 28, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Raw, vegan cookie dough balls…might try these. :)

Brittany — October 30, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I’ve made these twice now, they are TO DIE FOR!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 30th, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Love that you love them!! I always have a stash on hand in the freezer, just in case :)

Brittany — November 25, 2012 at 8:20 am

I just made these and I was a little skeptical at first, but oh my gosh they are so freaking delicious!!! As a cookie dough addict I’m so glad I found these recipe.

Sofia — January 3, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Wow, they look yummy!! My oven is broke so I was looking for something sweet and tasty that wouldn’t need an oven, thanks!

Brenda — January 23, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I just made the cookie dough balls. I really like them! But mine turned out very sticky…what did I do wrong? I used my vitamix and the dough was warm when I added choc chips…?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 23rd, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Very sticky is a result of either needing slightly more oat flour/cashew flour (I’d use oats at the end, it’s easier) – maybe 1 tsp more, work your way up slowly.

Also, you need to process these for as little time as possible in the Vita. We’re talking 10 to 20 seconds. Anything longer and the Vita will liquify and melt the dough, which is what it’s designed to do, is liquify things, so you just have to be very brief about it. You could also use a food processor but…add more dry ingredients, reduce blending time to as little as possible.

Chelsea — January 24, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I made these to procrastinate before doing my homework, but they were so quick and easy that it didn’t really work. Oh well, at least I have a delicious study snack! Do you think it would ruin the texture to use dates instead of agave?

Erica — February 5, 2013 at 5:55 pm

hey! i just made these! i blended every thing separately , then added the liquid and the chocolate in a bowl with the other 2 things where i just mixed it with my hands. it worked out fine! they are really good! i had this recipe in the back of my mind for months now and i bought the cashews today just for this recipe! i just had a thought. these would have been good with some vanilla protein powder

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 5th, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Glad you enjoyed the recipe and everything worked out for you!

CL — February 24, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Made these just now, and let me commend you for coming up with such an easy, healthful, and delicious recipe. I can’t stop eating these, lol…

Hanna — February 28, 2013 at 12:44 pm

These raw vegan choco chip cookie dough bites look great! But I was wondering, do you think I could use store bought almond flour instead of making cashew flour? Or would that alter the taste/texture too much?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 28th, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Cashew flour is much more buttery, softer, a more buttery flavor and just all the way around highly preferred to almond flour. That said, try the almond flour if that’s all you have but the recipe is best by just grinding up a handful of cashews!

Paula — March 7, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Hi there,

Just wondering, what kind of oats did you use?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 7th, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Whole-rolled, old-fashioned, usually Quaker – feel free to buy certified GF oats if need be, but I just use Quaker.

Rabi'a — March 18, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Turned out delicious. I replaced agave and maple with honey. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 18th, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Thanks for coming back to LMK you made them and are so happy!

Sherry — June 7, 2013 at 12:02 pm

The link and picture on Pinterest says these have banana and peanut butter and you bake them. Where is that recipe?

Molly — June 11, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Wow! These are good! I spent the morning trying a bunch of different raw cookie/energy bite recipes and this was far and away the BEST ONE. With the addition of 1 tsp of salt, they really do remind me of chocolate chip cookies. (I cut down to 1 tbsp of Agave and 2 tsp of honey since I don’t think things too sweet.) My “batter” was really sticky at first, but after 30 min in the freezer, they were each to handle and row into a ball.

Yum! I wish I doubled the recipe.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 11th, 2013 at 3:07 pm

There’s always tomorrow to double it :) Glad you enjoyed these the most out of the others you tried! Playing with sugar/salt ratios just slightly is always good to do; to taste. Glad you’re a fan of them and thanks for LMK! :)

Betty hardro — June 13, 2013 at 5:07 am

The banana oats and peanut butter recipe at the beginning that is baked for 15 minutes has me all confused. What are they called.
    Is this a mistake ? This is two totally different recipes. HELP!!

Betty hardro — June 13, 2013 at 5:17 am

The banana oats peanut butter and choc chip recipe that is baked for 15 min. What is that ?? I am all confused. Two totally different recipes. What is the banana one called ? They are not raw dough bites but that recipe is posted with the picture of the raw bites. HELP !!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 13th, 2013 at 5:56 am

Betty, calm down, you’re super worked up over cookies…relax :)

This recipe has been pinned hundreds of thousands of times. In some of the pins, there description was not correct. If you saw a picture of cookie dough balls with text about bananas – FORGET about the bananas. It has nothing to do with this recipe. It’s like the telephone game; every now and then things get jumbled up. It happens.

If you would like to make the recipe that has to do with bananas, follow the link I already sent you. If you want to make cookie dough, make this recipe.

Carly — July 8, 2013 at 2:35 pm

What kind of oats do you recommend using? Could oat groats be used?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 8th, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I simply use Quaker Old Fashioned Whole Rolled Oats. If you need to keep the recipe certified GF or certified raw, then you’d have to use another kind, but for me and my needs, basic oats is all I use. I have never tried it with groats – I would think they would pulverize in the blender/food proc just fine, but haven’t tested it.

Kate — July 11, 2013 at 9:24 pm

As I mixed the ingredients together, I couldn’t help but notice mine looked nothing like yours. In fact I at first thought the picture was just a stock photo on the pin I found because it looked to much like real cookie dough. Once I went to this site I realized it really was pictures of the dough and mine just looked horribly wrong compared to it lol. Mine was goopy and sticky. Tasted amazing as a dough though and amazing once baked also. So I will definitely be making these again! My 2 yr old daughter is GF so will be very happy with these. Thanks for posting!

Kate — July 11, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Hmmm upon relooking at this …. The recipe here is NOT the recipe on the pin! I came here after following the recipe in the comment on the actual pin on pinterest which was only banana, quick oats, chocolate chips and peanut butter…. No wonder mine looked nothing like yours!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 11th, 2013 at 11:26 pm

This recipe has been pinned over 1 million times. Probably more. It’s been the most popular recipe on my blog since 2009 and in the past 18 months or so, there are pins floating around with a recipe written on the pin about bananas and baking at 350F. That’s not this recipe! This recipe is for raw, vegan, GF chocolate chip cookie dough balls. I do have a vegan/GF healthy cookie recipe that uses bananas here http://www.averiecooks.com/2013/05/healthy-oatmeal-chocolate-chip-miracle-cookies.html

Which is why your dough looked nothing like these photos of cookie dough balls. The dough you made could be a spinoff of my Healthy Miracle Cookies that I just linked. Anyway – glad they turned out great regardless for you!

Kathleen Viscardi — July 17, 2013 at 7:13 am

This recipe sounds great – what can we use instead of agave….they don’t have this in South Africa right now. kathy

Susan — July 17, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Hmmm….Where do the 2 bananas come in to play?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 17th, 2013 at 5:40 pm

This recipe has been pinned over 2 million times and it’s been the most popular recipe on my blog since 2009 and in the past 18 months or so, there are pins floating around with a recipe written on the pin about bananas and baking at 350F. That’s not this recipe! This recipe is for raw, vegan, GF chocolate chip cookie dough balls. and has nothing to do with bananas or baked cookies.

Jessica A — July 18, 2013 at 11:31 am

I didn’t have cashews, so after reading comments about almond flour decided to substitute it. I mixed a batch and like you’d said, it lacked creaminess. THEN I remembered all the comments about the mislabeling on the pin, i.e. the banana, and realized that one would lend the right texture so I made a second batch right away (with almond butter, plus banana, no agave or maple syrup) and then mixed the two batches together. Maybe a tad creamy now, but still delightfully delicious.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 18th, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Thanks for the detailed report about what you did. Yes, almonds are no where near the creamy/smoothy/buttery feel and taste that cashews have. But glad you figured out a few tweaks to help you with what you had on hand and you’re happy!

Eleni — July 22, 2013 at 6:38 am

Hi Averie! I’ve been really curious to try this recipe, but I absolutely HATE nuts. As in, if my sister plopped down on the couch next to me eating Nutella out of the jar (a regular occurance), I’d make her leave. I’m really sensitive to both the smell and taste. Do these have any nuttiness at all to them?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 22nd, 2013 at 6:41 am

I don’t think so but you HAVE TO USE raw, unsalted cashews. I love Trader Joe’s for this. Do NOT try to swap out almonds for it. However, given how sensitive you are, all bets are off…But I really don’t like nuts in baked goods and to me, these taste like buttery cookie dough, not at all like nuts. Please write back and LMK what you think!

• Eleni replied: — July 26th, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply! My grandpa always has cashews at his house so next time I’m there I’ll do the sniff test and if it goes well I’ll try the recipe! I’ll let you know if I end up trying it out.

Sam — August 6, 2013 at 7:00 am

Hi Averie! This recipe sounds DELICIOUS, but I’m allergic to nuts. Do you know any substitutions for the cashews or if the recipe would taste the same without them? Thanks!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 6th, 2013 at 8:22 am

Won’t taste the same without the cashews. You could use sunflower seeds or another seed. But it will be a totally different taste – good but different.

I was going to suggest some of my PB-based balls but if you’re allergic to nuts, that won’t work either. http://www.averiecooks.com/2010/01/ball-recipes.html