Aprons & Messy Cooks

I opened the mail after I came in from a run and found this apron waiting for me

It was from Alexia Foods and I received the apron and the coupon because I am a FoodBuzz Featured Publisher

“I Rewite the Recipe Book”.  Actually, I can’t follow a recipe to a T to save my life or even make my own recipes twice.  So yes, that’s true.

Don’t judge the outfit.  10 year old long sleeve running shirt with shorts that don’t match.

And post workout ponytail hair.   Oh well, I’ve blogged and posted pictures from the hair salon with foils in my hair, so my pride is gone anyway.

I have collected quite a few aprons in my blogging career:

A Flirty Apron

A Cherry Apron

An Apron from Katie for Skylar
From This PostFebruary 10, 2010.  Not even 1 year ago and wow, Skylar looks so little!
And I actually have a few more aprons, too!  Quite the stash. Too bad I almost never think to put an apron on.
It would be good to put an apron on when making Dark Chocolate Coconut Snowballs
It can get kind of messy working with chocolate!  Then again, these are just a bowl and a spoon, and the freezer.  No mixer required.  How messy can things get?
This recipe gets messier because of the powdered sugar: Vegan Peanut Butter Chex Mix, aka “Puppy Chow”
I have a whole post of Chocolate Recipes so if you want to get your mess on, check it out!
Glad you liked my Friday Foods and recipes and thanks for filling me in on whether you like to go out to eat, or not.  Any why. Everyone is so different and it’s fun to read about.
I had tons of comments on that post and I really appreciate all my new readers, my existing readers, my readers that have recently de-lurked and are commenting.  It seems like my move to WordPress is making things easier for everyone.  Amen to that!
1. Do you wear aprons?
No, not usually because….see #2
2. Do you consider yourself a messy, neat, or in the middle, type of cook.
I rarely wear aprons probably because I am a neat freak and just don’t make that much of a mess when I’m cooking.  I am the person who stops to do some dishes in the middle of cooking because it annoys me to see dirty dishes all over the countertop!
And in similar fashion, I don’t make much of a mess all over my clothes, which I guess is good.  But it just means I have lots of aprons that I don’t wear much.  I guess I need to get messier, huh!
3. What’s going on for you this weekend?
I’m working, spending time with Scott and Skylar, trying to plan her birthday party, and I will be enjoy this weather.
Mid 70s and sunny with a breeze that’s just enough to make the tall palms sway.
Enjoy your weekend!

54 Responses to “Aprons & Messy Cooks”

Kristina @ spabettie — January 28, 2011 at 3:13 pm

CUTE apron!

I have a few fun aprons, and I rarely wear them, I think for the same reason… I am kind of a neat freak. I clean as I go while cooking…

fun weekend ahead!! I am taking Jason to lunch at one of Portland’s many vegan restaurants, and shopping for new running shoes! we have both had BIG weeks, so much relaxing is also on the agenda. ;)

HAVE A FABULOUS WEEKEND AVERIE !

VeggieGirl — January 28, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Aww, love your AND Skylar’s aprons :)

1.) nope

2.) very neat

3.) still recovering from the flu/influenza

Jess@HealthyExposures — January 28, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I LOVE that apron – how perfect a saying!
    I’m a weird mix between neat and messy. I guess it depends how quickly I want to get things in the oven. If I just have a little bit of time, I make a mess and then efficiently clean up everything all at once. If I’ve got all day, I clean every single thing as I use it.
    But no matter what, I make a mess of my clothes…and yet, own no aprons. I really ought to fix that ;)
    Have a wonderful weekend! What a beautiful blue sky!

elc@thesweetlife — January 28, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I love the saying on that apron! As much as I like the way they look, I prefer to wipe my hands on gym clothes…

Steph! — January 28, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Love the new apron and your collection!

I don’t actually own one (though I should) because
    2. I’m a messy messy cook :)
    3. Lifetime Movie marathon with one of my girlfriends tomorrow. Should be “entertaining”

Have a great weekend!

Katie — January 28, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I own several, as you can imagine and never wear them. I even started hanging them all out in the open, thinking that would help…nope. Still don’t wear them. but, I’m not messy. And I do dishes constantly. The only time my sink isn’t full of soapy water is overnight. :)

I can’t believe I sent that apron a year ago!!! It seems like yesterday. Bt yes, Skylar looks so little!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 28th, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I know, it’s hard to believe and had i known then what i know now, i would have driven across the desert to pick it up in person from you :)

Stephanie — January 28, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I LOVE aprons! I got my kiddos cute aprons for Christmas, but I’m still rockin an ugly one!

I am a seriously messy baker, cook, preparer!

Hoping to get some running, reading redecorating and relaxing done this weekend!

Have a great weekend!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! — January 28, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I have 2 super cute aprons, but I always forget to put them on as well! I am a medium mess kind of cook.

I am going to a YogaFit Level 3 certification this weekend and am so excited!!!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA — January 28, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I’ve only worn an apron once. In elementary school we went to this place called Honey Creek, which was an 1800′s one-room schoolhouse and we’d have one day of school there, with a teacher totally in character. We were encouraged to dress up and I wore this little German apron my mom had as my costume. Ahh, what a good memory!

Christin@purplebirdblog — January 28, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I am a messy a$$ cook and would totally wear an apron if I had one. So, my birthday’s in April if you wanna pawn off any of your adorable ones! ;)

bitt — January 28, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Messy messy. I think life is more fun for me messy! I know people who get annoyed with it but my brain is more wired to the creative artist who sees mess as art. I have a few aprons but often I forget to put them on until halfway through then find the cat napping on it. He’s awful about that stuff.

Have a great weekend!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 28th, 2011 at 4:41 pm

my sister is that way…super messy! yet she’s got a science mind and has a masters in chemistry

i am super clean and neat but am really artsy in other aspects.

mess as art, ill work on that.

your other comment about going out to eat..if you like it and can afford it and it works, go for it!

lindsay — January 28, 2011 at 4:33 pm

cute aprons. You sporting them quite well! Such a beautiful cook! hehe.
    LC

CathyK — January 28, 2011 at 4:36 pm

another fun surprise in the mail – excellent! makes friday just that much better, even!
    i hate aprons, have never owned one, and therefore would never wear one. just not my style.
    VERY neat–freak in the kitchen! haha – i, too, have to clean up while i’m cooking! cannot operate in disorganized chaos! and i can’t leave dishes sitting in the sink, either!
    have fun with your weekend! glad your switch to wordpress is working out so well (now!)!!

Mary Frances — January 28, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Cute aprons! And that puppy chow looks soooo good – might have to make some!

Don’t own one – neat freak in kitchen and don’t make a big mess.

Enjoying the Colorado Sun – walks with dogs, spinning/lifting, cooking and getting ready for another work week.

Have a great weekend. peace and light.

nysoonergirl — January 28, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I would love a really cute apron, although I don’t think I would use it either. I might get it dirty then! But I’m just like you and stop halfway through to wash the dishes or clean up spilled sugar. I’m not one of those people who ends up with frosting smeared across her face while cooking… That’s probably only in the movies that it actually happens, huh?

Helen — January 28, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I wear my apron depending on what I am cooking because – yes, I am a messy cook. Although I do have to clean along the way! So I guess you could say I’m in-between messy & clean :)

My weekend will be pretty low key. The boys are still sick :( But the husband will be home :)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — January 28, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I LOVE aprons- I collect them! I just took a picture of myself wearing my favorite to put on my blog tonight :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — January 28, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I’m a *ridculously* messy cook. My clothes are so dirty after a good baking session..so having one of those aprons would be awesome Especially ones so cute!

Lisa — January 28, 2011 at 6:05 pm

No aprons for me! I make a mess in the kitchen…and love it when I clean up as I go (but it doesn’t always happen).
    This weekend I’m working like crazy till Sat afternoon, and then having my 7 year-old nephew overnight — so we’ll go sledding and maybe to a movie. He’s the best date ever!

Have a great weekend.

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness — January 28, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Just wanted to swing by and saw hello. The apron pic is super cute! And I foresee Dark Chocolate Coconut Snowballs in my very near future :-)

Erica @ Gratitouille — January 28, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I NEED an apron; I’m such a MESSY cook! Those flirty ones are so cute. My birthday is coming up in a few weeks so I hope my roommates will pick up on the hints I’m dropping!

I’m going to a rugby clinic tomorrow!! I’m so excited to kick off the spring (?) season by learning some new badass skillz.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — January 28, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I got the same apron and coupon from Alexia! It’s awesome :)

I’ve never had Puppy Chow? It looks delish, though!

Bria @ West of Persia — January 28, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I actually really like to wear an apron, so you can throw your unwanted aprons my way ;-)

Donning an apron is like putting on my little uniform. It gets me into that mental space to cook and create. And try as I might, I am a bit messy, even though I clean as I go. Let’s blame that on my tiny kitchen, shall we? ;-)

Mama Kelly aka Jia — January 28, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I dont wear aprons, though I generally wear a messy (who cares if I stain it) kind of outfit.

I am an in-the-middle messy kind of cook, though I am getting neater and more organized as the year pass.

This weekend, like most weekends, will find me cooking lunches and dinners for the family for the week ahead.

Sarah @ onelovesarah — January 28, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Cute apron. I usually wear an apron when I cook that way I can use it as an extra place to wipe my hands when I can’t find a towel ;)

Julia — January 28, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Those are the cutest aprons ever!!! And those snacks look great.

I love the new blog design! It did change right?

ashley@quasichick — January 28, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I am a neat freak, but tend ot make a mess when I am cooking. I should invest in an apron!

Maria Pavel — January 28, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Hello Averie,

Great article, I LOVE APRONS! Congratulations on writing this, and by the way, great good-looking cookies!

Now to answer your questions… :
    1. Do you wear aprons?
    Yes, I use them because I like them very much.
    2. Do you consider yourself a messy, neat, or in the middle, type of cook.
    Well… I sure am mess, who isn’t? But I always tidy up after, haha, so I am a middle cook let’s say.
    3. What’s going on for you this weekend?
    I’m going to surf, snowboarding and have fun with my friends.

Best regards,

Maria

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — January 28, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I absolutely love what you’ve done with the site!! It’s gorgeous, and giiiiiiirl so are you! Slash that puppy chow looks absolutely delicious, send me a jar?!

Jaclyn — January 28, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I don’t wear aprons either and actually, I stop to do dishes and clean while I cook, too! I just feel so much better and more relaxed in a semi-clean kitchen, ha!
    This weekend, I’m going home to my parent’s house they are having a party so that should be fun. Also going to catch up on some work and hot power yoga tomorrow morning and probably the farmer’s market and whole foods – sounds like it’s shaping up to be a good weekend to me :D!

Christine (The Raw Project) — January 28, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Very cool, I have that same apron from the Foodbuzz blogger fest tasting pavilion. Hehe, love the running outfit, not quite short weather here. I never put them on either which I should because I always stain tops when I get going in the kitchen like a mad women.

1. Nope, I need to and have that one hanging right in my pantry where I always have to look at it. :-P
    2. Depends, totally messy when I get going experimenting and creating recipes and neat when I’m following recipes or throwing together simple dishes.
    3. Relaxing, running and a basketball game for starter.

GirlonRaw — January 28, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Nice blog makeover Averie. Loving the switch over to wordpress. You are gonna love it.

So glad you reposted the chocolate snowballs, I was only thinking about making them the other day and thought about trying to find them from your huge list of recipes. Thanks for the reminder.

I have a gazillion aprons myself and only tend to wear them when I am cooking with good clothes on. The other times I find food covers me anyway, especially now I have a belly in the way.

Oh and I am the MESSIEST cook ever. We have a rule in our house, if you cook, you clean as it’s unfair on the ‘un’ messy cook if they have to clean up after the messy cook. But I do clean up ok ;)

Eden — January 28, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I got a super cute apron from Etsy. Sure beats those long, white ones you get in culinary school. the problem is, the cute aprons are too cute, you dont want to get them dirty!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) — January 29, 2011 at 12:28 am

hahah i never wear aprons, but i cud sure use it because to answer your second question… i am a VERY messy cook… ingredients spread out all over the place, flour, cinnamon and other powders are spilled everywhere.. and i use like 100 dishes just to make one thing.. haha NAHT GOOD

Ela — January 29, 2011 at 11:21 am

Ooh, I envy that blue sky and palm tree! Thanks for that little dose of brightness.

I was given an apron for Christmas and am so glad to have it: I just need to remember to put it on. Yours looks beautiful and I love the legend. How do you get to be a foodbuzz publisher?

Have a wonderful day, happy party planning!
    love
    Ela

Beth — January 30, 2011 at 6:00 am

Great apron!

We have 3 aprons, and there is usually one out so that we can use it if need be. For me that means when I’m doing something messy / squirty like peeling oranges, cutting up pineapple, or mixing up a newly opened jar of nut butter – it seems to get everywhere.

I’m constantly “cleaning as I go” when I’m in the kitchen. If I’m baking something, then I use the time it is baking for washing up the dishes that were used, wiping down the counter, tidying up and getting the cooling rack(s) ready.

Hoping to get some snowshoeing in after the furnace repair guy is done. It is snowing now and looks so pretty.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 30, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Hey – I got that same apron at the FB Festival!!!!

Krista — January 31, 2011 at 6:00 am

LOVE the flirty aprons! I don’t own any, but sometimes wish I did. Like when I’m cooking on Christmas Day, say, and I’m in “good” clothes. I’d have to say I’m a neat cook, though. It all goes back to that “A Type” personality again. I take out what I need and put it away as I use it. Can’t stand the clutter! LOL

Joy — February 2, 2011 at 1:38 am

I never wear my apron either, I have one that a friend painted for me (with one if my favorite quotes “the only way around is through”) and I hang it in the kitchen as art instead of actually using it