Salsa & Cheezey Baked Beans & Vegetables

Are you going to watch the Superbowl tomorrow?  I’m not.

But I think this recipe would satisfy hungry game day fans.  Or is a quick dinner idea for a busy week night.

And it makes leftovers.  Cook once, eat twice.  Beautiful.

Salsa & Cheezey Baked Beans & Vegetables

Ingredients:

2 large Potatoes, diced

1 c Veggies, diced (I used about 1/3 c carrots, 1/3 c broccoli, 1/3 c Brussels sprouts)

1 can Beans

Optional: 1/2 c Real Cheese, Soy Cheeze, Daiya.  Shredded, cubes, diced, or crumbled

1/3 c Nooch

1 Tbsp Chipotle Seasoning  and/or any other seasonings you wish to add, cayenne, chili powder, cumin, etc. (I used Mrs. Dash Chipotle and a pinch of salt)

Salt & Pepper to taste (optional)

1 jar Salsa (I used an 8 oz jar of Pace)

1 c water (or a little more)

3 Tbsp EVOO, drizzled

Directions:

Dice the potatoes (small so they cook properly) and lay in a foil lined 9 x 13 pan (or similar).

Add the veggies over the top

Add beans

Sprinkle & season with Nooch (and/or real cheese), Chipotle, other seasonings, S & P

Add salsa and water

Drizzle with EVOO

Bake at 425F for 45 to 55 minutes, or until done.  (I did 47 minutes)

After baking, stir everything together, if desired.

Yield: Lots! Will feed a hungry family of 3-4 and make planned leftovers.

Recipe is Vegan (skip the real cheese), Gluten Free, Soy Free

[/print_this]

Here’s a visual guide

Lay in the potatoes and other veggies

Add the beans, nooch, seasonings

Add Salsa, EVOO, water

After Baking

This was super flavorful without being too salty, too spicy, or packing too much heat.

Skylar is only 4, after all, and although she can hang with the best of them with hot and spicy foods, I don’t want to send Scott into a fire-mouth situation.  She handles spicy food better than he does.

Music to my working mom’s ears:  Planned Leftovers

Reheat in micro.   Dinner is served while mom’s at work.   And it sure beats a TV dinner.

If you like the looks of today’s salsa bake…

…check out my Cheezy Veggie Bake

And check out my Game Day Recipes Post, too

From my post on Being Practical, it was fun to learn if you think that you’re a practical person, or not. And in what ways yes, and in what ways, not so much. Lots of great comments on that post, including reduced price produce and Skylar’s head to toe “winter” wear.  Glad you got a chuckle out of that.

Dessert: Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate and White Chocolate Frosting

Brownies + PB Cups (or other candy)

Bake.

Frost them

Devour.

1. Best thing you’ve ate or done so far this weekend?

Take a glorious long power walk with Scott and Skylar.  I got to catch up with Scott and trade stories from the week.

2.  Are you watching the Superbowl?

As I mentioned before in my Superbowl Foods,Plans, and Recipes post, no not watching it. I have to work.  And I’d rather watch paint dry.

3. Do you like salsa?

I think bloggers love salsa!

We use it as salad dressing.

In soup: Hearty Vegan Southwestern Sweet & Spicy Soup

In chili: Vegan Chili

And the good old fashioned way: with chips.

Do you like salsa and how do you use it?

Have a great weekend everyone.  And may the best team win.

69 Responses to “Salsa & Cheezey Baked Beans & Vegetables”

April — February 5, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Wow that looks really good! I love salsa. I just put it on my veggies at night. Sometimes in my salads.

I’ll probably watch it only because my hubs will.

Gina — February 5, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Leftovers are college girl’s best friend too :)

Annie — February 5, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I love salsa in a serious way. I put it on potatoes, salads, quinoa, you name it. :)

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews — February 5, 2011 at 4:31 pm

That salsa baked beans and veggies looks so good! I just made some roasted potatoes.

Christin@purplebirdblog — February 5, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I like to slather salsa all over my body… no, wait… I mean, eat it anything and everything. That’s the southern girl in me. I still like ketchup on everything too though, which is the northern girl in me! :)

CathyK — February 5, 2011 at 4:36 pm

ok, that’s too funny that skylar can tolerate hot/spicy foods better than scott – he sounds like my husband…”mild” makes his nose run!!!
    i love salsa – great salad topper.
    i will watch super bowl out the corner of my eye. i’ll pay more attention when the ads come on (ONLY instance where i like tv ads – super bowl ones tend to be amusing and original).
    glad you got out for a power walk! walk n talks are the best!

Angie — February 5, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Yes I actually just bought the best salsa from Jewel the other day. I posted about some of the things i bought in my latest post. Check out this salsa.

Its really tasty!
    I’m also going to be rooting for the Steelers! I went to High school with their star player and have spoken to him on several occasions in high school although we were more like acquaintances than friends. His name is Rashard Mendenhall he’s amazing

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — February 5, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I had the best pancakes EVER this morning, I cannot wait to put up the recipes and pics! Slash I sat around all day and watched hulu:) This looks yummy! I’m not watching the superbowl either, but i’ll take any excuse to make something delicious!

Hayley — February 5, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Well, I’m pretty sure I ate close to an entire jar of salsa today. So yes, I love salsa! I could also eat a tomato a day, but tomatoes are not so hot in Canada in the winter. Salsa, however, is always on the menu no matter what. I put it on everything- salads, some soups, any savoury meal…or with veggies as a snack. Today I put it in a bowl and ate it with a spoon, like a chunky tomato soup. Is that weird? Probably but I don’t care haha.

I will not be watching the super bowl either. We Canadians aren’t usually big football people. Or at least I’m not. I don’t really care about sports in general and get pretty bored watching them. But if I were having a super bowl party, I would make your salsa baked veggie recipe…because really, salsa veggies nooch beans, what could possibly be bad about that? :)

Erin — February 5, 2011 at 5:01 pm

PERF! Great use of potatoes! We have a few laying around and they need to be eaten before the inevitable eyes grow! (So creepy)
    I’m definitely not watching. It will be on, but..my mind will be elsewhere :)
    Salsa is amazing! We are connoisseurs in this house…it’s good on almost everything, right?
    P.S. Your blog layout really does look fabulous Averie!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — February 5, 2011 at 5:07 pm

The Super Bowl will be on, but my eyes won’t be glued to the TV. I’m sure I’ll watch a little of it, though. I like to watch football when there’s a team I’m rooting for playing, otherwise I get bored. Since the Lion’s won’t likely make the Super Bowl anytime soon, I probably won’t be watching a Super Bowl closely for a while. If ever. :-)

Your print recipe feature looks great! :-)

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan — February 5, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Welllllll…I didn’t think I was going to be watching the Super Bowl (because I’d rather watch paint dry too), but I just found out that my husband invited some people over. I might have to play hostess.
    I love salsa and just picked up 2 more jars today. We’ll mix it with some avocadoes and make a big batch of guacamole for tomorrow. Yum! :-)

• Emily @ One Sweet Vegan replied: — February 5th, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Oh! And I love your new “print recipe” feature!! I wish I could do that on my Blogger blog!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 6th, 2011 at 2:40 am

that is a blogger limitation with the print recipe feature and yes, i am loving it!

and nothing like your hubs inviting people over. classic man move. they dont realize that means you + unplanned for kitchen time. + cleanup.

he owes you :)

Katie — February 5, 2011 at 5:41 pm

My favorite veggie bowl is steamed veggies with salsa and nooch. Never really thought to bake it like this though. I eat it at least once a week. With mustard, of course.

And yes, the best team….they will win. :D

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — February 5, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I’m actually not a huge fan of salsa! It’s good, but I don’t LOVE it.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — February 5, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Is there anything better than salsa? Ok, yes, but seriously salsa rocks. As for the super bowl, going to a party, but I could seriously care less about the game. Will have to bring my own eats too (but that’s probably for the best).

CH — February 5, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I hated leftovers as a kid and usually refused to eat them! I was so hard on my mom. :(

That sounds like the perfect healthy, vegan superbowl dinner. I have no interest in football, but there’s a chance I might watch it just to be with friends. A small chance though, lol.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — February 5, 2011 at 6:43 pm

That looks so good! I actually just made a pot of homemade salsa tonight. If it’s a hit is to be determined! I was inspired by all the samples Pace sent, but it’s sooo salty! So I tried to make a less salty version at home by copying the ingredients on the back of the jar. I guess we’ll see how it tastes. So far it smells like tomato sauce, ha!

We’ll probably Tivo the Super bowl commercials. Football is boooorrring, IMO. :D

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 6th, 2011 at 2:42 am

omg YES super salty! that’s my #1 reason i dont eat salsa more. I am super sodium sensitive. Wayyyy more so i think than the avg person. So yes, less salty versions are right up my alley on anything!

Great minds think alike on football :)

Katie — February 5, 2011 at 6:46 pm

this looks amazing Averie!!! I love beans! I never eat them that much but I do love them! Yes I am loving the new camera! Still have alot to learn ; ) I hope your day at work tomorrow is good and have a goodnight! : ) love ya! xoxo

sophia — February 5, 2011 at 6:57 pm

HAhaha! I don’t even know WHO the teams are! I didn’t know it was the Super Bowl weekend until I hit the stores.

I like salsa okay…but I don’t entirely love it. I can live without them. I think most bloggers like it because it’s flavorful but low in fat and calories. Personally I like it mixed with sour cream, and then dip my fries in that.

Mimi (Gingersnaps) — February 5, 2011 at 7:00 pm

That looks so good! I love pantry clean-out recipes. Grr…make me miss my nooch though.

Hehe, maybe it’s because I’m in another country, but I’m more excited to watch this Superbowl than past ones. But it’s always more for the social situation, not the game itself. SNAKEBITES!!!

Jess — February 5, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Mmmmm, that looks PERFECT! I love salsa+cheese :D

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — February 5, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I love salsa — on veggies, on a salad, with corn chips! and I add it to chili too — I love how your cheezy bake looks. Yum.

Best thing about the weekend? Spending time with Jason — we’ve had no “real” plans all weekend so we’ve been hanging out at home.

Becky — February 5, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I just made my own version of the cheezy bake today, it was great! I like salsa, but not all the time. It’s something I kinda have to be craving in order for me to really dig into it. My boyfriend LOVES it though so I may have to do the salsa bake soon to incorporate more veggies in his life. He’s vegan and sticks to most tofu but today he loved the cheez bake! It was a proud moment.

Michele Sparrow — February 6, 2011 at 12:15 am

I do like salsa and put it in my salad and throw nutritional yeast in there too and mix it up as my dressing. I love that. My husband and kids like it to dip their corn tortilla chips in and I make omelets for my hubby with salsa, feta and spinach.
    My hubby and boys will be watching the superbowl tomorrow. I am like you, Averie…I would rather watch paint dry, so while they are off to a friends house to watch the game, I will go for a walk on the beach or take a nap or something all alone!
    Still, the best thing I ate this weekend? My frozen coconut water with Vanilla Stevia and cinnamon! :-) Have a great Sunday, tomorrow!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 6th, 2011 at 2:44 am

oh thanks for the reminder on frozen coconut water with Vanilla Stevia and cinnamon. I need to get busy with that :)

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) — February 6, 2011 at 12:43 am

i LOVE salsa~! i pretty much put it on EVERYTHINg.. it goes with so much! and i am not watching the superbowl becuz i have no idea about anything US football related… over here its just FUTBOL and RUGBeh! and thats how they say it ;) best thing i ate this weekend was chickpea gravy i made!

Kristen Bramhall — February 6, 2011 at 3:53 am

I have decided to start eating a more vegan diet and you have been the biggest inspiration to do it. If you can do it and stay fit, active, and healthy – I know I can make it work for my active fitness schedule (and life in general). Yesterday, I tried a few of your recipes – mint chocolate chip snowballs, your vegan salad dressing, no bake peanut butter protein bars, and cheezy veg bake. I loved all of them. I am cooking for just me, so I have plenty of leftovers. I am so excited to try this vegetable bake and I already have all the ingredients in my kitchen.
    I also bought both the Brandon Brazier books you have on your bookshelf and am going to dig into those today.
    Thanks Averie for all of your inspiration.

Kat — February 6, 2011 at 4:58 am

I <3 salsa! i usually make my own pico di gallo – style (spicy!) to avoid all the added… additives :)
    yes, i would generally rather scrape painted over wallpaper off my old house than watch sports…. but we are going to a party. It's the kind where the girls hang out in the kitchen and drink wine and the guys watch the game. I'm okay with that! :)

rachel — February 6, 2011 at 6:49 am

i have got to try one of your cheezy vegetable and bean bakes one of these days, they sound so good, and so easy to make!
    i won’t be watching the game either. football is boring to me ;) i love the game food though hehe.

ashley@quasichick — February 6, 2011 at 7:01 am

I went to “mock sleepover” bday party with 17 little girls! WOW it was crazy, but the girls had a blast!
    I freakin LOVE salsa..my fave is carrots dipped in salsa!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 6, 2011 at 7:04 am

Nope, not watching the super bowl.

I do love salsa, however!

Kristina @ Life as Kristina — February 6, 2011 at 7:15 am

I love the cook once, eat twice philosophy! I use salsa on anything and everything I can-just dump blobs everywhere! Sometimes I use it as salad dressing:)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 6th, 2011 at 12:24 pm

you know it girl. saving TIME is so important!

sometimes when i try to comment on your site, it makes my computer freeze up. nothing you can do about it but just lyk that sometimes my computer doesnt get along with it :)

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — February 6, 2011 at 7:44 am

Love that new picture of you on your sidebar Averie!
    What is the nutritional reason to eat that yeast? I see alot of people using it, but I’ve never known why.
    The cheezy veggies sound great!
    I am watching the Superbowl for the commercials mainly!
    I love salsa with lots of onions!
    I want one of your cupcakes now!

Linda — February 6, 2011 at 8:22 am

Oh yumm!! Those veggies look GOOD!! I just made a super simple, hearty, & delicious veggie stew. I think you and Avery would love!!
    You’re awesome thanks for your fabulous posts everyday, you’re totally rockin it girl!!
    xo

Christine (The Raw Project) — February 6, 2011 at 8:23 am

Wow, this recipe looks wonderful – awesome job! Great pics of it too. Wow, and the Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate and White Chocolate Frosting looks like trouble for me. :-)

1. Had a great evening out with my sisters.
    2. Maybe bits of it, never been a huge fan though.
    3. Yes and all the versions I can make fresh at home – avocado salsa, pineapple salsa – yum!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty — February 6, 2011 at 8:37 am

Now that I finally picked up daiya cheese, I might have to try this! I don’t think it’s the same without cheese!!

Nathan — February 6, 2011 at 8:40 am

Salsa is the greatest condiment on earth! So versatile and always full of flavor.. Sometime you have to watch out on the cheaper salsas..they tend to have a bit too much taste of acid for me. But my faviote two things latly is one…chop up a big bowl of romain hearts, add salsa mix it up and top it with quite a bit of reduced fat Parisian cheese!

Lastly I have been trying to use up the bulk apples i bought, and so i core the apple and slice the apples and lay in a casserole dish, sprinkle cumin and paprika, top the apples with salsa and bake covered for a half hour on 400! Its sweet and you get a little heat from the salsa…

My favorite salsa has to be NEWMANS OWN, Pineapple salsa…its a little sweet and still get some notes of traditional salsa!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 6th, 2011 at 12:23 pm

i love that pineapple salsa too! sooo good and not packed with sodium.

• Nathan replied: — February 6th, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Exactly…seems like pretty fresh tasting salsa…a little more sugar than i like but still a heck of alot better than some fat filled ranch or other dressing!!!
        Hope your enjoying your NON Super Bowl Super Bowl Sunday!
        Ps. I just started following your blog and and I must say you have alot of great ideas and love them all, its just a breath of fresh air to find others like yourself who are passionate as myself and finance who love to eat fresh, clean, health food!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 6th, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Thanks for finding me and for the nice words :) And yes, I am passionate about healthy food, but check out my next post, Rules are Meant to be Broken. Sometimes it’s good to cut loose. Balancing act, indeed.

• Nathan replied: — February 6th, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Ha…read that right before you reposted here…you sound just like my fiance! Always trying to break my habits and routines, but I can understand where you both are coming from…its just I lost 140 lbs since highschool which was over 4 years ago, and have worked soo hard to do it, and to keep it off, sometimes once you get in a routine and a strict diet regimen its not easy to break it. Plus alot of the people who poke fun at staying on the strait and narrow about the health food kick have NEVER been the “fat/big” kid, have never been the butt of jokes, have never been “just the funny big friend”….but yes I am trying to remind myself to break habits and routines on special occasions.

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day — February 6, 2011 at 11:15 am

I am NOT watching the superbowl!

Salsa.. oh yeah.. I use it in so many things. I always have a batch in my fridge or freezer of my homemade recipe.. so so good. I love to make a quick BBQ sauce out of it.

julie — February 6, 2011 at 5:45 pm

oh i LOVE the way you used pace! such a genius idea :) i’ve never been a fan of baked beans but i love that you made them cheeeezy so i just miiight have to dabble with this! i think i never liked baked beans because deej used to force me to eat them when i was a kid haha

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 6th, 2011 at 6:17 pm

i cant believe you typed this comment WHILE the superbowl is on! must be on a commercial :)

and yes, great way to use pace, spread the sodium burden around, so to speak

and nooch, you’re a fan, i know you’d dig this!

Beth — February 7, 2011 at 8:56 am

Best thing I did on Saturday: snowshoeing in the great white outdoors with a friend’s dog

Love salsa! Home made is best, but jarred is good too in the cool / colder months when I don’t have fresh local veg to make the salsa myself.

Jos — February 7, 2011 at 11:34 am

Not a football fan either, nor I care. Baked veggies are the best and I also love batch cooking that yield leftovers.

Amy — February 7, 2011 at 1:13 pm

The ‘print recipe’ feature/widget is the COOLEST thing ev-ah! I do not miss copy and pasting into word to take your yummy ideas home with me!

p.s. I think i have more of your recipes in my recipe book than from anyone else. I actually make your stuff instead of thinking of making it like with other people’s.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 7th, 2011 at 2:50 pm

glad you likey the print recipe feature!

and re the banana mashing…yea if it’s not ripe enough it wont mash as easy. If it’s a little tricky to mash, nuke a raw banana for 5-10 secs, it will mash easier then. Then proceed with rest of recipe :)

And glad you actually make my stuff. Thank you for telling me! :) Made my day!

Alphonse Wyllie — February 10, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I just want to tell you that I am just beginner to blogging and absolutely enjoyed you’re page. Almost certainly I’m want to bookmark your website . You actually come with wonderful writings. Cheers for sharing with us your webpage.

Kitty Boman — January 17, 2014 at 8:26 pm

What is NOOCH & EVOO, I have never heard of them before. Is there a substitute?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 17th, 2014 at 11:56 pm

nutritional yeast
      extra virgin olive oil

sub with nothing for the nooch – there is no replacement
      sub with your fave oil if you dont like olive