The Easter Bunny Stopped By

The Easter Bunny stopped by our house and Skylar woke up on Sunday morning to some goodies that I picked up last week that the Easter Bunny brought her.

She was all over the Dora phone as I suspected she would be.

Thrilled about it!

She told me now she can text all her friends.  She’s four.

Soon she’ll be showing me how to use my iPhone.

She cuddled right up with the stuffed bunny.

And he hops, too.

She was so happy that The Bunny stopped by our house that she didn’t even miss the candy I forgot to buy to include in her basket.  Whoops!  But love it when things work out that way.

The weather was sunny and nice here on Saturday.  A little chilly by my standards (low 60s and windy) but it could be far worse.  Like Sunday.  It was cold, overcast, rainy, and dreary on Sunday.

I spotted this bright flower on a run on Saturday.

It’s so vibrant it almost looks fake to me!  Don’t the colors found in nature just amaze you sometimes?

Another thing that amazed me was that Target was closed! I know it’s a holiday and all but I don’t remember Target ever closing for Easter, then again I don’t keep tabs on it, either.

I was putting off a Target run to replenish things like body wash, toilet paper, and chapstick because my last trip there was really just to buy Easter basket making itemsOh well, there’s always tomorrow.

From my last post about Chocolate Coconut Kale Chips, I’m glad they looked good to many of you.  Not everyone’s cup of tea, I realize, but I assure you, they are great and the combo of chocolate and coconut with kale totally works.   I did a product review on some storebought chocolate kale chips but I prefer my recipe since it’s more chocolaty and less “healthy” tasting than the storebought kale chips were.

I would not say “oh, so good” if they weren’t.  No way! I love sugar, chocolate and rich food and would not steer you wrong.  I got lots of “interestings” in the comments on the post so just wanted to say they really are good!

The recipe and pictures appealed to Foodgawker and Tasteologie which is an honor for me.

My love of photography helps fuel me to create recipes and photograph them as beautifully as I can, and when my photos are accepted, it inspires me to keep going and keep learning and trying to improve!

If chocolate kale isn’t your thing, how about just Raw Vegan Coconut Oil Chocolate?

1. Best thing you did or ate over the weekend?

Seeing Skylar’s excitement about what the Bunny brought her was the best thing, for sure.

Reminds me of her excitement Christmas morning in Aruba seeing what Santa brought her.

2. Did you celebrate Easter? Any fun stories?

I grew up celebrating it, but Scott didn’t, as I explained.

We celebrate both Christian and Jewish holidays in our house, just in very loose ways. We keep try to keep holidays light, easy, and stress-free.

3. Did the Easter Bunny or anyone bring you anything fun?

No flowers, chocolate, candy, Easter baskets, or anything special for me this year.  That’s ok though because seeing how happy Skylar was over her little items was all I needed.

Enjoy your week!

P.S. If you’re just catching up on posts from the weekend, here are mine since Friday:

60 Responses to “The Easter Bunny Stopped By”

VeggieGirl — April 24, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Skylar is such a darling!! :D

Nothing big for Easter this year since we’re all still unpacking, haha.

Lauren — April 24, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Your daughter is too adorable! I love that four-year-olds want to text their friends nowadays…so hilarious. The best thing I ate over the weekend was shrimp and grits, my favorite! We celebrated Easter this year but I have to say it’s just not the same without kids around to be all excited!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty — April 24, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Glad you guys had fun!!! :)

We got away for a mini honeymoon for Easter! 4 days away and it was lovely!!! I’ll be posting about it tomorrow for sure!

Bria @ West of Persia — April 24, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Looks like a fun family Easter :-)

I noticed that my Targets were closed, too. Hmmm. I wonder if this is a budget-cutting thing or if Target is usually closed on Easter but we just never noticed?

Best thing ate: Figs dipped in chocolate, sunflower seed butter, and coated with coconut flakes. I heart figs! Oh, there was a gluten-free chocolate muffin or two that were pretty fabulous as well. The kale chocolate chips look great to me, btw.

Best thing I did was a long walk on the sunny part of Sunday. The sky was a gorgeous blue, the birds were chirping, and the flowers were blooming beautifully and smelled fantastic. Which reminds me. . . I agree, that flower in your post almost looked fake. But gorgeous!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 24, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Looks like Skylar had a great Easter (which means you did too!)

I am exhausted — running around from house to house, eating and drinking too much — seriously. I am happy the holiday is over! Time for bed and somehow get geared up for the workweek. I can tell that tomorrow is not going to be very productive!!!

Thankfully Jason’s Mom and Grandma fill our Easter eggs with cash — I made $5 today :)

Chelsea — April 24, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I didn’t necessarily celebrate easter, but I took advantage of the 3 day weekend and went to the beach with my boy-friend <3

carin — April 24, 2011 at 9:19 pm

i drove to FOUR grocery stores trying to find one that was open…..i was out of almond milk, which is a threat level red situation. luckily the one that finally was had it on sale. but sam’s wasn’t open either, so i have no fresh produce until tomorrow. sad.

you better get your shotguns ready. skylar’s gonna be a heartbreaker.

Lindsay — April 24, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Awww love that she’s so into the phone. So cute.

The best thing I ate this weekend would have to be a slice of key lime pie. So, absolutely, delicious. I don’t usually eat many sweets so I savored every bite :) And since I usually eat vegan I don’t usually eat key lime pie either. But sometimes I make exceptions for my usually’s ;)

I did celebrate Easter with my family and had a wonderful time doing so. My grandmother even went out of her way to make sure there were vegetarian options this year, since my mom and I both are veggie eaters. And grandma is soooo traditional so I was pleasantly surprised.

Katie — April 24, 2011 at 9:29 pm

The look of pure joy on Skylar’s face just made my night. I can only imagine your huge smile as she was loving her basket! And no candy? Who needs it when you have those kale chips, right?

The Easter Bunny didn’t come, but the relax and take the weekend off fairy did, and it was grand.

Suzanne Williams — April 24, 2011 at 9:30 pm

So nice to see how excited she is and that you had a nice Easter. The flower is amazing!
    Suzanne Williams

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — April 24, 2011 at 9:41 pm

ohh what a wonderful Easter, thanks for sharing your special day!

The best thing I ate was Easter dinner of shrimp cakes at the Heart Boys Restaurant. Delish! Otherwise I just spent time with my boys – husband and pup! :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 24, 2011 at 9:41 pm

We went to the Easter parade in NY.

Happy Easter to you and your family!

hippierunner — April 24, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Target is usually open on holidays so I was very surprised to see it was closed today. It totally sucked actually that it was closed since we had just got on the bus after going to Trader Joe’s, got off at Target and then saw it was closed so had to wait 40min for next bus. Luckily, it was sunny out and we had chocolate chips from TJ’s to keep us happy. ;)

Hannah — April 24, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Her joy must be the best thing about Easter for you :)

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh — April 24, 2011 at 10:21 pm

What a cutie! I love that she said she was going to text her friends :) I can definitely say I am not looking forward to the whole teenage texting/growing up! lol

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — April 24, 2011 at 10:26 pm

That’s so great that Skylar had a fun Easter!

My Easter ended up being pretty interesting. My dad got drunk and we all played guitar hero!

Ashley — April 24, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Aww, Skylar is so cute!! She looks like such a happy little girl. :) I could totally go for some of that raw chocolate and I’d be all over the kale. Yum!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table — April 24, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Kids are the best part bout Easter – they get so pumped about the baskets!

The best thing I ate was a spinach bread pudding I made. And the limoncello champagne cocktails. :)

megan @ the oatmeal diaries — April 25, 2011 at 12:05 am

SO glad you guys had a great Easter! I LOVE that vibrant flower. The Easter bunny (my dad) brought my dark chocolate covered pomegranate pieces!

cathy — April 25, 2011 at 3:27 am

oh, love skylar’s expressions as she’s opening her easter bunny treats! what a cutie!
    if she gets tired of the dora phone, you know where to send it! :)
    best part of my weekend: playing with my two nieces on saturday.
    we’re celebrating as a family in mid-may this year, so i still have an easter get-together to look forward to!
    congrats on getting those photos accepted! i can see why!
    stores up here were all closed to…i think it’s actually nice that we still shut down most retail stores for christmas, easter…
    happy monday!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — April 25, 2011 at 4:22 am

Skylar is growing up so fast! So cute with her play phone… glad she loved it. :) And that flower is amazing!!! What a gorgeous photo!

I stayed at my apartment this weekend since I had a lot of schoolwork to get done, but I enjoyed the holiday nonetheless! :)

Tasha @ Voracious — April 25, 2011 at 4:44 am

Skylar is THE CUTEST. (I think I’ve said that before!) Seriously though, that smile is so full of joy. What a good mama you are!

And WOW, what a stunning flower. So vibrant. Hello springtime!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — April 25, 2011 at 4:45 am

Looks like Skylar had a great Easter! I hope you had a beautiful day Averie!

Erica — April 25, 2011 at 4:47 am

Aw :) Those pictures of Skylar melt my heart. She looks so excited. And I’m thrilled she will be able to “text” all her friends now ;). The picture of that flower is unreal. Nature can be amazing. Best thing I did this week= my baby shower. Best thing I ate…oww toss up- either the parfait at my shower or the fruit salad I had yesterday. I just love fruit. Didn’t get anything from the bunny, but got more than enough at the shower ;)

Hannah (Balancing on Two Feet) — April 25, 2011 at 5:01 am

Skylar is such a doll….I had to comment! Glad you had a good Easter!!!

Katie — April 25, 2011 at 5:13 am

The pics are SO SWEET of her! Just a beauty and a princess she is!!!! I am so glad she loved what the easter bunny brought her ; )

I got a basket with a kindle book light, itunes gift card, a new point and shoot camera, and other goodies! We had a very nice and laid back easter here!

Love ya Averie!!!

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit — April 25, 2011 at 5:26 am

I looks like your daughter had a fabulous Easter! Adorable.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — April 25, 2011 at 5:30 am

This weekend was great!! I think just relaxing at home was the highlight of it…and celebrating my sis-in-law’s birthday. Oh, and getting the amazing graduation/Easter present my parents gave me :) As for the best thing I ate…anything and everything that included sugar. I’m so stoked to have dessert back in my life :D

Paige @ Running Around Normal — April 25, 2011 at 5:31 am

awww – Skylar looks SO excited for that phone :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — April 25, 2011 at 5:46 am

She’s such a cutie. Love how excited kids can get over the little things.

Morgan — April 25, 2011 at 6:00 am

LOOOVE the cell phone pictures! I’m not sure why all little kids are obsessed with phones. It’s adorable, though! The Easter Bunny brought Skylar some awesome loot!

kristina@beancakes — April 25, 2011 at 6:11 am

oh ate so much over the week-end!! a lot of cake was consumed which is always a good thing!! skylar looks so happy in those pics!

Danielle @weightsandmeasures — April 25, 2011 at 7:48 am

I love Averie’s candy free Easter basket. I still get an Easter basket from my wonderful mom, though I’m 25. This year I sent her an email with a few ideas from Crate and Barrel. I got some adorable things. You can see my post here http://weightsandmeasures.wordpress.com/2011/04/24/a-spoon-full-easter/ . The candy… well, I froze 3 candies until my birthday on June 26th, which is the next day I’m eating refined sugar. I am seriously limiting my sweets in life, otherwise I would be in the kitchen making that fudge right now.

McKella — April 25, 2011 at 7:53 am

Last night, I chopped up some of my reese’s eggs and baked them into cookies (amazing)
    My siblings all got these little helicopter toys in their baskets. I used to play with them all the time, I forgot they existed till then! They’re a little helicopter thing that sits on a launcher, and you pull a string to make it spin and it flies. I liked to chase them down and try to catch them, but it’s really hard to run all-out through my parent’s field wholes looking up! We played with those for hours, I felt like a kid again! And I wonder how many of those little helicopters from my childhood are still on my parent’s roof!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) — April 25, 2011 at 8:02 am

Aww what a fun Easter sunday! Skylar is adorable :D

krista — April 25, 2011 at 8:06 am

EVERY Easter we drive up to SuperTarget for our grocery shopping and it’s closed! You would think I would learn…nope. Then we sadly drive to nasty Walmart and complain about how much we miss SuperT. :)

Leslie — April 25, 2011 at 8:30 am

Looks like you all had a happy Easter! Skylar is so cute, I’m glad she liked her basket!

My little girl was pretty excited about hers too! And since it rained, she went on a little egg hunt in our house which was really fun to watch. She’s 2 1/2 and was really excited about finding the eggs this year!

Best thing I ate—I just made a chocolate almond milk protein shake with vega which is surprisingly yummy and refreshing! I usually stick a whole lot of other stuff in my shakes but this time I went for simplicity. Sad that a shake was my best thing, I know, but I had my wisdom teeth out this weekend so not a whole lotta choice. :)

Sable@SquatLikeALady — April 25, 2011 at 9:22 am

Skylar is so cute! What a photogenic kid :)

I was surprised that Target was closed this Easter too!!!!

We did not celebrate Easter this year….we kinda normally don’t — our birthdays are both so close to it that we’d rather just celebrate those :)

Crystal — April 25, 2011 at 9:43 am

Your daughter is such a cutie pie! And she looks like she had a super fun easter :)

Do you have any dehydrator recommendations for people who don’t want to spend $200+ on one? I know everyone loves the excalibur, but I haven’t heard much about any of the cheaper options…

Just started reading your blog, and I love it! Keep it up!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 25th, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Yes, don’t buy one :)

If you can’t spend money for an excalibur, i personally would just use the oven. The other ones, from everything I have been told, are more like toys and not really cut out for optimal success. I would just use the oven and leave the door ajar unless you truly have some burning desire for a dehyd…at which point…I’d save up for one and buy quality over just buying one to buy one.

• Crystal replied: — April 25th, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Thanks Averie!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — April 25, 2011 at 9:44 am

Skylar totally WILL be teaching you how to use your iPhone any day now. Kids are so amazing, aren’t they?

Amber K — April 25, 2011 at 10:02 am

I have been sick, so I was awake for about…60 hours. Not quite the fun weekend I had hoped for! But I was able to celebrate with my nephew for his birthday, see my family and my church family for Easter. And even eat a couple of jellybeans :)

I love Skylar’s face with that phone! lol

rawkinmom — April 25, 2011 at 10:46 am

I have been meaning to make some chocolate flavored kale chips to try them out…not sure how i feel about them until I taste them!! I do love sweet and spicy ones and cheezy ones too!!! SO who knows, maybe I will like the chocolate!!!

Kate @ NaturaStride — April 25, 2011 at 11:10 am

Your little girl is too sweet!!!
    1. Best thing I ate this weekend was some tzatziki and steamed mussels from a tiny greek restaurant down the street – so good.
    2. We celebrated Easter by going out to brunch at a fabulous restaurant with my parents AND my in-laws! It was a success & the mimosas were flowing!
    3. The Easter Bunny (my mom) brought me a basket of candy (aaarg!) that I thew away last night after she left – nothing good was going to come from that :)

Jen — April 25, 2011 at 11:10 am

She is so cute!!! LOL @ texting her friends, love it!

Deborah — April 25, 2011 at 11:19 am

My daughter would have LOVED a Dora phone like that!! And I have got to try those kale chips pronto!!

Phoebe — April 25, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Wow those Chocolate Kale Chips look amazing, I love the Nacho Cheese ones the best!

Christina — April 25, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I don’t remember Target being closed either! I actually went to Target yesterday (and paid for parking!) only to walk up to the doors with a sign that said it was closed!! There was tons of cars in the area because some other stores were open so I had no idea. I was so upset! Guess it wasn’t meant for us to spend all our money in Target ;)

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 25, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Super cute Skylar pics. THe stuffed bunny is too cool. Awesome about her not wanting a lot of candy, my nieces nearly got sugar-poisoning yesterday!

Crazy about Target being closed, but I guess that’s good the employees got a day off.

1. Easter party with family.
    2. Yeah, lots of over-sugared kids and my dad’s wife had issues eating a salad with long sprouts. :-P
    3. Nope.

Heidi @ Food Doodles — April 25, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Oh my goodness, I love the look on Skylars face with the phone. That is awesome! It’s been such a busy weekend and my computer has unusable for all of today and some of yesterday and I think I’ve got it fixed so now I’m playing catch-up, haha. We had a very relaxed “easter” weekend. With candy. Duh. :D Oh, and my brother and sister in law just got a mommy goat and two babies so we were just visiting them. So cute! Congrats on your picture(s) that made it to FG and Tasteologie. I saw them there. Awesome!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 25th, 2011 at 7:56 pm

That was my 2nd time submitting to Tasteologie and 1st time getting in. They turned down my peanut sauce baked tofu which I actually thought was prettier than the kale chips but that’s the thing w/ those food sites..you NEVER know what they are going to like and not like!

Baby goats? omg how cute!

Christin@purplebirdblog — April 25, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Skylar’s happy face make me smile… she’s just such a doll!! :)