Angel Food Cake & Berries

If you’re too busy with things like sandcastle building…

Or if it’s too hot out to bother firing up your oven…

But you still need to bring an easy dessert to some get-togethers this weekend, or you’re looking for a way to impress your family, try this Angel food Cake with Fresh Berries.

You could make an angel food cake from scratch.  Or you could just buy one from the local grocery store bakery and skip turning on the oven.

Grab some fresh berries from the farmer’s market, TJs, or the grocery store and sprinkle them on.

Garnish with whipped topping.

Cool Whip anyone?  I’m a fan.

Or buy some strawberry sauce or frozen strawberries, thaw them, and add some sugar to them for your own homemade strawberry sauce and top with that.

Voila.  Nearly effortless, and still seasonal.

Buying one thing pre-made like the angel food cake but garnishing it with fresh berries, whipped topping, and possibly a mint spring makes it seem like you went all out.  But didn’t. Isn’t Sandra Lee famous for this?

Another easy recipe that fools people every time thinking a lot of effort went into it is Raw Vegan Cheesecake

It happens to be raw, no-bake, vegan, gluten free, and soy free, but it is so rich and dense.   And it’s not free from taste.  And please excuse the ahem, vintage, photography.

I hope you’ve been having a great weekend and thanks for the praise on my Blogging 102 post.  I’m glad my tips, tricks, and suggestions about blogging is helpful.  Get those comment reply systems installed, for sure!

And now if you’ll excuse me, I’d like to grab a piece of angel food cake, pour a Vanilla Iced Coffee

…and stare at this

1. Best thing you’ve ate or done so far this weekend? Any Memorial Day Holiday plans?

I have loved relaxing on the beach in Aruba.  Can’t really beat it.

And no “plans” other than just try to get as much R & R time in as possible.

2. Do you like angel food cake?  Have you ever made one?

I love angel food cake and when I was a kid, I could literally eat a half of one of my grandma’s angel food cakes ina sitting.  It is pretty airy and light after all, but my grandma made the best angel food.

I admit, I have never made one from scratch!  One day soon that needs to change, eh?

3. Do you have an easy, fast, no-fuss, but crowd-pleasing dessert recipe that you can whip together in a flash?

Special K Bars (NoBake) are another one that are so easy but everyone loves them.

Peanut Butter + Sugar + Chocolate impress every time

Be safe on the roads and at the holiday parties this weekend!

35 Responses to “Angel Food Cake & Berries”

Kristen @ The Red Velvet Life — May 28, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Mmm angel food cake reminds me of visiting my grandmother’s house as a child, too! She didn’t make it from scratch (and I’ve never made it from scratch either!), but they always had the store-bought stuff around the house. Mmmm! And that raw vegan cheesecake looks amazing! This weekend hubby and I are looking for places to live in the LA area . . . we’re moving down here and looks like I’ll be closer to your area! :)

coco — May 28, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Beautiful pictures of the beach and the cake!!! :D

We are relaxing today at home, indoor climbing and dinner with friends tomorrow, strawberries picking and movie on Monday! :)

Have a wonderful weekend!

Jess@HealthyExposures — May 28, 2011 at 3:57 pm

It’s been way too long since I’ve had angel food cake! What am I waiting for?! Looks like the perfect dessert this time of year.
    These pictures are wonderful, too – as is the food styling! I’d rate that cool whip technique a 10 ;)

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 28, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I love angel food cake but I’ve only had the premade stuff or the easy box mix. And yes Sandra Lee does stuff like this all the time and she makes millions! :)

Ilana — May 28, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Um, can you send me a slice of that? thaaank you!
    my plans for the weekend almost rival sitting on a beach…lots of friskiness and debauchery, not safe for blog ;)
    hope Aruba is fabulous my lovah!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 28th, 2011 at 6:01 pm

plans that arent safe for the blog sound like the best kind! drop me an email if there’s anything super juicy :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — May 28, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I love angel food cake – it reminds me of when I was younger – strawberry + ice cream are the best toppings!

kris (everyday oats) — May 28, 2011 at 5:54 pm

um, can I just say your angel food cake photos are mouth-watering-ly (if that’s a word?) gorgeous?? It really is the perfect summer dessert. So light and airy. Makes me want a slice now!

• Baking 'n' Books replied: — May 28th, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Ditto. I never crave angel food cake…and yet you have done that…uh, thanks alot Averie!! ;)

joanne — May 28, 2011 at 5:55 pm

could you tell me how many slices your raw cheesecake makes please? :)
    thanks!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 28th, 2011 at 6:02 pm

It depends what you consider a slice. As written though, the recipe fills up one Gladware container that is about 2 inches deep, the square shape that’s probably 6 inches x 6 inches. So enough to feed 4 people each one decent portion. Double or triple the recipe as needed.

Brooke — May 28, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Now that looks YUMMY! I love angel food cake!

Brooke Annessa

Erica — May 28, 2011 at 6:35 pm

YUM! That is SO my kind of dessert. I am a cool whip freak :) I also like the more natural version at WFs (although it does taste different). And berries? Can’t go wrong :) lovely! Glad you’re still enjoying your time down there! I have never made angel food cake- totally want to try it!

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 28, 2011 at 7:08 pm

The angel food cake looks great, fast and simple. That’s what I love about raw desserts too, fast and no need to fire up the oven on scorching summer days. :-)

1. Spending lots of quality time with hubby and loaded up at Whole Foods.
    2. It’s been a long time since I’ve had one, I should look up a vegan version.
    3. Sure, Jennifer Cornbleet’s raw chocolate cake, comes together in minutes and always a crowd pleaser.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — May 28, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I love angel food cake!! I can’t wait to make it this summer :)

Dani — May 28, 2011 at 10:02 pm

ah, I used to love angel food cake!! Wth berries and vanilla ice cream (never was a big fan of whipped cream)! When I was 16 I made one from scratch in my Home Ec class in school.
    Those Special K bars get me drooling every time I see that pic!! But I will be trying out that no bake cheesecake recipe instead, looks delish!

marla — May 28, 2011 at 10:03 pm

OMG that angel food cake looks awesome. Good thing it is far away from me right now :)

Hannah — May 28, 2011 at 10:57 pm

How I’d love to try angel food cake! I’ve never seen it here in Australia, and I can’t bring myself to justify a recipe that involves 10 egg whites, because I know I’ll end up wasting all the yolks :( I can, however, justify the raw cheezecake ;)

Katie — May 28, 2011 at 11:14 pm

ANgle food cake with whipped cream is one of my favorite desserts of all time. The best thing to bring to a bBQ or pot luck too. With smashed strawberries on top, it can’t be beat.

I’d never bother to make it from scratch though. Its so easy (and good) from the box!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 28, 2011 at 11:19 pm

You have really become quite the photographer Averie!! I am super impressed!!

I have a few no-fail-sure-to-be-a-hit dessert recipes that are standbys in my home.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 29th, 2011 at 8:00 am

thanks, jolene!

and regarding commenting/blogger blogs…yes, it’s SO limiting which is why the 3rd party co’s like intense debate or disqus have become popular but they’re not perfect either.

T.Lee — May 29, 2011 at 1:07 am

I had delicious macarons from a nearby French bakery today. Pistachio macarons and a good cup of coffee. Swoon.

Amber K — May 29, 2011 at 7:56 am

WOW! Your photography on this post is absolutely beautiful. I love it!

I’m actually not a fan of angel food cake. It’s way too light for me. I love my desserts to be thick and dense. Plus, when I was a kid it was always underneath buckets of strawberry sauce so it would get all soggy. Blech.

lightlygildedlily — May 29, 2011 at 1:33 pm

That cool whip looks amazing! how in the world did you get it to swirl like that?! When i was little my mom loved to bake, so we always had everything homemade. We still do. However, I must admit im a huge fan of buying something and then “doctoring it up”. Leaves more time for life? and laying on the beach :) right!?

Beth — May 31, 2011 at 7:42 am

The warm weather has finally found us and I’m already adding home made soft serve and un-baked cheesecake back into our lives. So easy, healthy, and refreshing on a hot day.

I’ve never been a fan of angel food cake, but maybe that is due to the gluten. I’m always the one eating all the strawberries ;)

Krista — May 31, 2011 at 7:59 am

I love, love, love Angel food cake. I’ve made it many times, but mostly will buy it for convenience sake….

Katie @ ohshineon — January 16, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Angel food cake is a staple food item in our house. It is so light, fluffy, and sweet without being overly dense or heavy. We love topping it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and almond slices!