Banana Cream Pudding Pie & Caramel Smoothie

Do you ever impulse buy something at the grocery store and then have no idea what you’re going to make with it?

I’m sure we all do this but I really try to keep my impulse buys to a minimum since I’m queen of impulse duds.

But I’m glad I grabbed a little box of Instant Banana Cream Pudding that was on sale for 69 cents.

I turned that little box of pudding into this.

With some help from a banana, caramel sauce, butterscotch chips and white chocolate chips.

Because my thinking was as long as you’re going to drink a banana cream pie, you may as well go all out.

[print_this]

Banana Cream Pudding Pie and Caramel Smoothie – with Butterscotch Chips and White Chocolate Chocolate Chips

Makes approximately three eight-ounce portions

1 box of Instant Banana Cream Pudding (I used store-brand, not Jello-brand, and it was Regular, not Sugar Free)

2 cups cold milk

1 medium or large banana (previously frozen is better but not required)

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons caramel sauce or to taste

2 to 3 cups ice cubes

1/4 cup sugar or alternate sweetener to taste, optional

2 tablespoons peanut butter, optional

1 tablespoon butterscotch chips for garnishing, optional

1 tablespoon white chocolate chips for garnishing, optional

2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs or crushed Nilla Wafers for garnishing on top of the smoothie or lining the rim of the glass, optional

Final caramel sauce drizzle, optional

In a Vita-Mix or blender, add the box of pudding and cold milk and blend until it’s combined and frothy. If you have time to wait for it to thicken more, about 10 to 20 minutes, do so and if not that’s okay. To the pudding mixture, add the banana, cinnamon, vanilla, caramel sauce, sugar, ice and blend until smooth. Depending on if you used a frozen banana, how thick your pudding mixture is, and how you prefer your smoothies, you may want to place the Vita-Mix or blender canister in the freezer for 15 to 30 minutes if you prefer a colder, thicker or more frozen-textured smoothie. Garnish with banana slices, butterscotch, white, or chocolate chips; or an extra drizzle of caramel sauce or peanut butter.

Tips: Pour excess portions into glasses and thaw later and drink as smoothies; pour excess into bowls and freeze for frozen banana cream pie “ice cream”; or pour into Popsicle molds, paper cups, or ice cube trays and freeze for Banana Cream Pie on a Stick.

Optional: Add 1 to 2 ounces of Banana Schnapps, Creme de Banana liquor, Rum, Malibu, Vodka, Marshmallow Vodka, Kahlua, Gran Marnier or similar, per smoothie portion, or to taste.

[/print_this]

This smoothie is like drinking, well, frothy chilled pie filling.

A little pie filling in the middle of the day is one fun way to break up those afternoon doldrums.

If you like banana cream pies, you’ll love this.  I only wish I had some Nilla wafers on hand because my mom never made banana cream pies without garnishing them with Nilla wafers.

The banana cream pudding mix made this smoothie so creamy and rich.  And so filling.

You can freeze the extra portions in glasses and thaw them later when you’re ready to indulge.

Or pour the excess into bowls, freeze, and enjoy frozen the banana cream pie smoothie as banana cream pie “ice cream” while you’re watching your favorite Bravo shows that are burning a hole in your DVR.

In between the Elimination Challenges on Top Chef Texas and catching up with the ladies of Atlanta and Beverly Hills, I was savoring this, in bowl form.

I think I got my banana cream pie craving out of the way for the next six years, give or take, but I made use of that 69 cent impulse pudding buy.

In recent smoothie memory, the only thing that comes close in terms of decadence factor is the Creamy Cookie Butter White Chocolate Banana Smoothie

I am really still in love with the Orange PushUp Smoothie though.  Creamy, citrusy, and refreshing.

A PushUp in smoothie form.

So many choices, so much teeth chattering.  Worth it though.

Do you like Banana Cream Pies?

My dad loves them.  I know he’d love this.

Do you like pie?  Do you make it?

I rarely make pie.

I do like pie, but I like cookies, bars, blondies, and brownies more than pie.

There’s only room for so many calories in the day and I tend to allot my mindless and decadent calories to things along the cookies or bars nature rather than pie.

But because I’m calling this a smoothie, it’s “healthy” and those calories don’t count.  Yeah.

Any impulse buys lately?  Food or otherwise?

60 Responses to “Banana Cream Pudding Pie & Caramel Smoothie”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — January 17, 2012 at 4:01 am

This was made just for me, right?? I just know I’ll love this. Banana cream anything makes me swoon!

Bev Weidner — January 17, 2012 at 4:38 am

Look at thooooose. I’d happiness snort that up into my head anytime.

Nicole — January 17, 2012 at 4:42 am

A great way to get fruit during the day! I am the “master” pie baker at Thanksgiving…apple (of course!) and pumpkin. I love baking pies. This past Thanksgiving I did a test-kitchen Vegan pumpkin pie with a gingerbread cookie crust. It was delicious.
    I made an impulse buy at the store yesterday – sunflower seed butter. Was in such a rush that I forgot to check the label – it’s full of added cane sugar. That’s a no-go for me. I’ll stick to the freshly ground Whole Foods pb and almond butter.

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — January 17, 2012 at 4:48 am

Yummm! When I think of banana cream pie, I think of my grandma. Not because she made it, but because she always made the pudding with the vanilla wafers! Totally classic.

I like to make a lot of raw banana pies (made with banana ice cream in center). They are very versatile, and my favorite is made with a peanut butter crust and a chocolate-banana center!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — January 17, 2012 at 4:52 am

I do that all the time – buy something at the store that I have no idea how I’m going to use. It’s usually brought on by a sale. Like when I bought an entire flat of canned pumpkin. My gosh, I’m pretty sure I turned orange for a couple of weeks there.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 17th, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Girl and if it’s a seasonally-based item, i.e pumpkin or some minty thing, it just adds pressure and I buy even more!

Angela / Canned Time — January 17, 2012 at 4:57 am

Bananas+Caramel+Cinnamon+White Chocolate=Heaven!!! Oh my, sorry I made my boring Hemp Protein Smoothie this morning and then read this………….maybe for dinner? Thanks Averie

katie @ KatieDid — January 17, 2012 at 4:57 am

Well I’m about to run to the grocery store hungry so you know there will be an impulse buy or two today. And I don’t like traditional banana cream pies, they sort of freak me out… the texture that is.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — January 17, 2012 at 5:10 am

This looks insanely good! My stomach is now growling

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — January 17, 2012 at 5:24 am

I’m crowning you smoothie queen :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — January 17, 2012 at 5:42 am

I could watch the RHW of BH marathons all afternoon. So addicting. I never liked banana cream when I was a kid, actually hated bananas. I love bananas now, but not sure I’d like the banana cream to be honest. I think I’d associate it too much with the pies from childhood – you know where the waffers got soggy…

Julie @ Table for Two — January 17, 2012 at 5:45 am

YUM! I loooove smoothies. I’m such a bad impulse buyer when it comes to groceries. I always go to the store hungry and you KNOW that’s the worst way to go! Haha..RHOBH is my fav..I’m excited that RHOC is coming back on soon and so is the last season of Bethenny!! Ah, Bravo has my heart!

Jocelyn — January 17, 2012 at 5:51 am

Huge impulse buyer here…my baking cupboard is overflowing and I have no idea what I am making with half of it:-) Banana Cream Pudding is a huge favorite here. With all the extras in this shake, my kids would go bananas for it:-)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 17th, 2012 at 5:39 pm

LMK if you end up making it for them.

My baking cupboard, well, it’s…full. To say the least :)

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — January 17, 2012 at 5:51 am

I’m embarrassed to admit that I hoard instant pudding packages – all flavors – because you just never know when they will come in handy! I love adding them to smoothies to give them some oomph :)

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) — January 17, 2012 at 6:27 am

i am drinking out of the same glass straw right this second :) and drinking out of a mason jar. love it! these look great!

Katie — January 17, 2012 at 6:33 am

I love those pudding packets. I actually use them almost daily. I have some kind of pudding type dessert for my evening snack every night, and use those to thicken them up. I don’t like the banana one though. I hate bananas and I DETEST the fake banana flavor. But the double fudge chocolate? Favorite.

I am an impulse buyer to the extreme. I am the reason that the checkout lane is full of crap. I’ll go in for lettuce and come out with lettuce, batteries, silly putty, matches, and a deck of cards. Because….you know.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 17th, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Omg you and me both with the checkout lane buys! I have to just STOP looking and check my phone or else it’s gadget here, this or that there, and before you know it, I’ve got a Pez dispenser, 7 packs of gum and 3 magazines I won’t have time to read in my cart.

Colleen — January 17, 2012 at 6:49 am

My dad is obsessed with pies, and makes them very well but I always just end up eating all the crust ;)

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan — January 17, 2012 at 7:52 am

OMG, this with marshmallow vodka? Yes. YES.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — January 17, 2012 at 9:27 am

I have started doing Weight Watchers since New Year’s and have been eating a LOT of pudding. It gets old fast :) I love the idea of whipping it into a smoothie!!! Thanks for the idea Averie!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 17th, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Another reader just said she made it with sugarfree pudding, stevia, and almond/soy milk and she said it was great…so there ya go!

Lemon — January 17, 2012 at 9:42 am

Wow, this looks awesome, I’d like to have this, now. Yum.

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — January 17, 2012 at 10:26 am

Man, talk about a dessert smoothie!! This looks awesome!!

AmandaRunsNY — January 17, 2012 at 10:49 am

Banana pudding from Buttercup bakery in NYC is one of my all time favorite desserts ever. Great recipe, I like the addition of the frozen banana.

Amber K — January 17, 2012 at 11:39 am

I’m not a huge pie person – I prefer brownies, cookies and cupcakes. And I don’t think I’ve ever actually had banana cream pie, but it sounds all kinds of delicious. What’s not to like about creamy bananas?

eatingRD — January 17, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I do love pie but rarely make it or just have it around the holidays. It sounds great in smoothie form! I always seem to make impulse buys at the store of new foods to try. I can’t seem to help it! I didn’t buy it, but my dad got us a Vitamix for our belated Xmas meet-up and I can’t wait to try it out!! Going to have to look into all your vitamix recipes :)

Cassie — January 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Deeeelicious! I’m usually not a fan of banana pudding but I love bananas. This looks amazing!

Moni'sMeals — January 17, 2012 at 12:55 pm

whoa Mama! These look amazing, I love the combo you got going on. Nice Averie! I hope to make them sometime and SOON. :)

marla — January 17, 2012 at 12:56 pm

What a great treat! Glad you figured out what to do with that pudding!

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous — January 17, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I agree…not a huge pie fan. This, however, I would eat!

Rachel — January 17, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I too am queen of impulse duds. I try really hard not to buy anything not on the list because it invariably ends up at the back of the cupboard to be found months later, unopened!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 17th, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Yeah my cupboard duds, well, let’s just say I am always able to make some donations to various food banks with the unopened things in my cupboards :)

angela at canned time — January 17, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Made this just now using Butterscotch instant Jello puddng (sugarfree) and it was awesome! Also subst ituted vanilla stevia for the sugar and soy milk. Best part I had enough to freeze up for the morning commute! Great idea as usual, thx O:-)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 17th, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I have a box of butterscotch in my cupboard; that was my next plan! Glad you liked it with sugarfree pudding, vanilla stevia, and soy milk AND that it froze up for tomorrow…okay awesome. Thanks for the detailed feedback. I live for that!

Anna @ the shady pine — January 17, 2012 at 2:57 pm

What a great smoothie idea!

I must admit that I don’t have too many food impulse buys but when it comes to shoes…..

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 17, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I love banana cream pie!!!!! I haven’t had it in ages though. One impulse purchase I made lately was the dry attachment for my Vita-Mix. It was well worth the money.

Paula — January 17, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I like the one bowl, minimal mess method of dessert making so raw pies whipped up in the vita mix or bars (baked or raw, sometimes vegan, sometimes not) are what I tend to do these days. My most recent impulse buy was a pair of Jambu mary janes. Hubby and I are planning a trip to San Francisco and I must have good (and cute) walking shoes for all the urban hiking we’ll be doing!!!

Ryan — January 18, 2012 at 6:50 am

I have been dyyyying to get Lightroom software but decided I should get a new lens first and then get the editing software. My new lens should be here today and now I’m glad I can try out the new version of Lightroom before buying it! Thanks for sharing!

Christine (The Raw Project) — January 19, 2012 at 6:27 am

This looks wonderful, something I need to make for my nieces and reminds me of adding frozen bananas to my smoothies. As usual, awesome job with the photos! :-) I pretty much like banana anything, but somethings fake banana flavored products taste off to me, like banana candy.

sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more — January 20, 2012 at 6:20 pm

this looks sinful!

Deborah — January 21, 2012 at 10:22 am

I found a ton of boxes of pudding during my move, and I’ve had no idea what to do with them. Now I know!! I would have never thought to use pudding mix for a smoothie, but it sounds wonderful!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — January 23, 2012 at 10:37 am

Gorgeous photos and delicious looking smoothie!