Ritz Stuffed Peanut Butter Cups

I’ve always loved Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

Cracking open those orange wrappers and then peeling back the black waxy paper from the perfectly formed Reese’s edges is one of life’s simple, but very joyous, pleasures.

Sinking my teeth into the peanut butter cup and making teeth marks into that perfectly smooth chocolate is also high on my list.

Lately I’ve been sinking my teeth into these homemade cups rather than storebought Reese’s Cups.

These aren’t just any homemade peanut butter cups.

There’s a surprise in the center:  Ritz Crackers

I combined some of my favorite ingredients and the resulting creation is very puffy.

One of my homemade cups is about twice the height of a storebought cup or about the same height as five Ritz crackers.  That just means there’s more to love.

You don’t have to make yours as puffy as mine if you don’t put as much peanut butter on the cracker before you drench it with melted chocolate.

A Ritz cracker smeared with peanut butter and then encased in a chocolate shell using the Trader Joe’s Chocolate score I’ve been loving.

Delicious does not have to be complicated and the proof is in the pudding in the peanut butter.

The saltiness from the crackers and peanut butter is balanced with the semi-sweet chocolate.

The crunchy cracker stopped with smooth peanut butter makes for lots of texture and fabulous chomping.

[print_this]

Ritz Cracker Stuffed Peanut Butter Cups (vegan, almost gluten free)

Makes 4 Peanut Butter Cups (halve, double, triple, or quadruple the recipe as desired)

8 ounces (1 cup) semisweet chocolate or chocolate chips, melted (for more info on melting, see this post)

4 Ritz Crackers (or similar)

6 teaspoons peanut butter (1 ½ teaspoons per cup), approximately

Place four paper muffin liners inside a muffin tin or on a flat work surface.  Alternately, if you have silicone liners, you can use those.  Melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and spoon approximately one tablespoon of melted chocolate into the bottom of each muffin liner.  Place them into the freezer for a few minutes so the chocolate sets up.  While the chocolate is setting, schmear each of the four crackers with peanut butter, approximately 1 ½ teaspoons of peanut butter for each cracker, or to taste.  Take care not to make the peanut butter too dome-like; rather spread it in a manner similar to the white cream center of a double-stuffed Oreo cookie.  Remove the chocolate-filled muffin liners from the freezer and carefully place one peanut butter-covered cracker in each cup.  Cover the top of each cup with the remaining chocolate, reheating the chocolate in the microwave a bit if necessary.  Based on the height of the peanut butter layer on the Ritz crackers, your paper liners may be filled nearly to the top with chocolate in order to fully encase all the peanut butter with chocolate and this is okay.  Freeze or refrigerate the cups until the chocolate has set up before unwrapping and eating.

To keep gluten free, use a gluten free cracker such as Mary’s or similar.  Ritz Crackers are already accidentally vegan.

[/print_this]

Making peanut butter cups (vegan, GF) at home is something I discovered years ago.

Tuxedo Cups

The possibilities to jazz up and get creative with cups are endless, which is where the Ritz crackers came into play.

Ritz Crackers and I go way back.  My grandma used to keep Ritz crackers on hand in her cupboard and I used to be able to take down a half tube of those golden crackers in about five minutes right before dinner.

But that’s what Grandma’s are for: to do things that your mom wouldn’t let you get away with, like devouring a sleeve of Ritz crackers right before dinner.

Good thing I purposefully designed the recipe to only make four cups and you even can halve it if you prefer.

These have been a little dangerous to have on hand and will make you forget all about those resolutions.  New Year’s what?

If you’re a fan of sweet ‘n salty combination desserts, I also recommend White Chocolate Peanut, Pretzel, & Chocolate Chip Fudge

If you like surprise middles with your sweet ‘n salty, try Pretzel Peanut Caramel Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Truffles

For sweet surprises, the Dark Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Cookies Stuffed with Chocolate Covered Strawberries are fun.

And last but not least, the surprise Snickers bars in Snickers Bar Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies get me every time.

Questions

Do you like peanut butter cups?  Have you ever made them at home?

Have you made any stuffed desserts?

I love stuffed desserts because it’s like you get two desserts in one.

I hope you’ve had a great weekend and that your week gets off to a fabulous start!

144 Responses to “Ritz Stuffed Peanut Butter Cups”

Deborah — January 9, 2012 at 10:36 am

I LOVE the addition of the Ritz cracker! Yum!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — January 9, 2012 at 10:55 am

easy peasy dessert! now thats what I am all about! :) love it!!! hope you are having a great start to the week, Averie!!

xoxo

Amy — January 9, 2012 at 11:14 am

Oh goodness…these are mighty dangerous! I can just imagine how much that Ritz cracker adds to the already yummy combo.

Amber K — January 9, 2012 at 11:43 am

Reese’s peanut butter cups are the best candy ever made. They were my childhood favorite and they continue to be the best! Love them. I have made my own using recipes I’ve found on various website, but I haven’t found the perfect one that can replace the Reese’s perfection. It needs to be doughy instead of peanut butter smooth, but without adding a ton of extra sugar. Seemingly impossible. I guess I’ll just have to go with the sugar overload sometime! :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — January 9, 2012 at 12:05 pm

My gosh, your cups are so perfect! When I make chocolate cups the layers are all over the place. Way to go :)

Heather @ Run Eat Play — January 9, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Those peanut butter cups with Ritz are pretty much the best thing that I have even seen! Can’t wait to try those babies out! I don’t think there’s anything better in the world than peanut butter cups!

Renae — January 9, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Just stuffed my face with this. Holy crap balls. SO good!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — January 9, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I love this idea! I once made similar chocolate truffles for my friend’s engagement party. We stuffed chocolate and white chocolate with pb & j, marshmallow fluff and graham crackers and simple jam. Delicious!

heather @ http://itsyummytomytummy.blogspot.com/ — January 9, 2012 at 7:07 pm

love this and the chocolate.. yum.. It is very similar to my ritz sandwich cookies I coat in chocolate :) For extra crispy crunch make a sandwich like these.. http://itsyummytomytummy.blogspot.com/2010/07/peanut-butter-cracker-treats.html

marla — January 9, 2012 at 8:28 pm

These are genius!! That Ritz cracker inside must taste somewhat like a PB Twix bar. Love those bite marks on a Reeses PB cup too. Now I am craving candy thank you very much!

Julie — January 9, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I’ve made your vegan PB cups with nutritional yeast.

Why did I never think of making full sized ones with cupcake liners and putting all kinds of wacky things inside??! Yum. Hm, what other things I can put inside.

I love myself a filled cupcake.

Christine (The Raw Project) — January 10, 2012 at 8:51 am

These look awesome, so creative! You are the dessert queen! I love peanut butter cups and need to create raw almond butter cups.

Allison @ Alli n Son — January 12, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Oh my, I’m addicted to these just looking at the screen. I need one. Now.

Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño — January 13, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Avery this looks so good. And anything homemade is better than anything you can buy!!!

Audra — January 15, 2012 at 2:47 pm

These look WONDERFUL!! I will be making these this week for sure :) I’m thinking of trying pretzels in place of the Ritz crackers in some. Great, now these are all I can think about…..

Jenny — January 30, 2012 at 1:53 pm

These look amazing! What a great idea. I’m sure you get asked this all the time, and I apologize, but I just couldn’t stop myself. Do you think you could tell me what kind of granite that is? We’re remodeling our kitchen soon and I swoon every time I see it.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 30th, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Gosh, I have no idea what KIND of granite it is because we didn’t build the place. I’m sure your remodel will be fabulous!

Tasha @ Voracious Eats — February 8, 2012 at 1:19 am

How did I miss these!?!?!?! These definitely top the ones I made. Look at all that amazing chocolate! You have a genius for coming up with tempting treats, Averie. I need a shipment of these asap!

Sheerah — June 24, 2012 at 5:44 pm

This is my new favorite website! I’m amazed at how creamy and gorgeously chocolate-y these candies were. And SO EASY to make. Wow! Thanks for sharing your procedure with us.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 24th, 2012 at 6:32 pm

thanks for the compliments, for reading, and for making these! Glad you liked them!

Aya B. — August 12, 2012 at 8:10 am

Amazing ideas, such a creation

Judith — September 16, 2012 at 10:23 am

LOVED these :-) my family cant wait to try them :-) added some rice krispies for crunch and added Fleur de Sel on top . Keep the great recipes coming !!

a farmer in the dell — January 22, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I just got back from a cocktail party and one of the women there made YOUR ritz cracker stuffed peanut butter cups!!! small world! They were amazing! And I take my peanut butter cups very seriously!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 22nd, 2013 at 6:24 pm

No.way. WHAT a small world – wow! Well I’m glad they worked out…how crazy…what are the odds! Thanks for LMK! I love stories like this!

Avra-Sha Faohla — August 26, 2014 at 4:50 pm

This is a neat idea! I made mine less bulky by using 2 teaspoons of melted chocolate on the bottom, 1 teaspoon of peanut butter on each cracker, and 2 heaping teaspoons of chocolate on top. They tasted delicious! And I found that the cracker made it easier to keep the layers from muddling.

One tip that you didn’t mention: Before freezing, jiggle the cups from side to side to get the chocolate to settle in a nice even layer. ;)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 26th, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Oh yes, I always jiggle. I assume people know to do that, but you know what happens when you assume :)

Glad you enjoyed these!

• Avra-Sha Faohla replied: — August 26th, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Yeah, most people probably would think to jiggle on their own, but you can never be sure. I once came across someone’s blog post saying how she just figured out this amazing trick for easily spreading granola bars without it sticking to your hands: just use slightly wet fingers! And I was like, what?? How can anyone not know that? I do that for not just granola but for any sticky bars or cookies or whatever, and I can’t remember ever NOT knowing that. Just goes to show that sometimes things that you think are intuitive or obvious are entirely new concepts to some people!