Fit For A President

Happy President’s Day to everyone celebrating it. If you’re off from work or school, I consider that “celebrating” the day. If you’re at work or school, I think it’s safe to assume that it’s just another Monday, which I hope has been great as well.

A few things that I think are pretty large and in charge and fit for a President include:

The Hilton Bora Bora Nui Resort Presidential Village overwater bungalows ($4300 per night, and up)

Wedgwood China. If I was the President, I’d love to serve fancy State dinners on pink butterfly plates.

A fancy Chani Chandelier. $6100 and up, and gorgeous.

Fancy food and 21 courses at the French Laundry. I’ve read that you should make your reservation at least one year in advance. Dining here is on my life’s bucket list.

One day…

Until then, I’m going to nibble on something a little less fancy like a few Rosemary Chipotle Roasted Almonds that I roasted.

Over the weekend, I had Green Fluff and Oreos. The epitome of non-Presidential food but oh, so tasty.

And there’s always room for a Mango and White Chocolate Chip Cookie on my to-be-nibbled list. They feel sunny and spring-like to me, which is perfect for the sunny and spring-like day we’re having.

Did you have the day off from work or school? If you have kids, were they off school?

Skylar didn’t have school today and so she and I goofed around in the morning and we’re about to surprise Scott at his office with lunch with something I just baked.

Have you seen or done anything amazing, large and in charge, wonderful, or fit for a President recently?

Thanks for all the Babycakes Cupcake Maker and Cookbook Giveaway entries.

44 Responses to “Fit For A President”

Lindsay — February 20, 2012 at 10:55 am

Your almonds would also be fit for a president as William Howard Taft favorite snack was “Deviled Almonds” which are seasoned almonds with cayenne. He probably would love Rosemary Chipotle Roasted Almonds.

Lindsay@LivingLindsay — February 20, 2012 at 11:01 am

Oh my gosh – it’s my DREAM to stay in an overwater bungalow in Bora Bora or Tahiti. I’m not picky – either place will do. :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 20th, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Yeah anywhere in French Polynesia would be just dandy..as long as someone else is paying for it…I’m not picky :)

Margarita — February 20, 2012 at 11:07 am

As Liz Lemon would say: “I want to go to there.” With a dreamy look.

Rose — February 20, 2012 at 11:37 am

Hi Averie

Sorry for being completely random and off topic but I’ve been following your blog for a couple of years and I just wondered if you had ever tried the workout program T-Tapp? (it’s a kind of mind-body, toning workout with mostly standing exercises). I was totally into yoga and did yoga every day for years, then one day it seemed like my body just needed something different. Anyway, I discovered T-Tapp and it seems to have replaced yoga as my “daily practice”, though I still do yoga once or twice a week.

I thought of asking you about it because I know you like to change things up with your fitness routine :)
    If you do try it someday, let us know what you make of it!

p.s. thanks for all the delicious cookie / ball etc. recipes!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — February 20, 2012 at 11:39 am

I think I need to be near that water. Just gorgeous isn’t it. I would have worked today had my friend not come into town for a visit. We’re having beautiful weather perfect for our guests.

katie @ KatieDid — February 20, 2012 at 11:56 am

What a great way to surprise Scott! I’m sure he’ll be thrilled to see the treats…. and you two of course! Have a fun day off with Skylar :)

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — February 20, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Happy President’s Day, Averie! =)

Kris — February 20, 2012 at 12:08 pm

hate to rain on your French Laundry parade, but you actually CAN’T reserve a year in advance. they only book two months out, and it is so difficult to secure a res that there are websites dedicated to giving tips on how to snag a spot.

we tried once, and will try again the next time we plan to be in Napa. :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 20th, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I thought that you could start reserving up til 2 months in advance, like right now they are starting to take April 20th reservations…ahhh, well, it’s a bit of a moot point this year and for the next many years, but one day! Thanks for LMK that there are entire websites dedicated to spot-snagging…whoa!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — February 20, 2012 at 12:10 pm

We went to Tahitit (bora bora and moorea) for our honeymoon and only stayed in the over water huts 1 night out of the 12 because they were INSANELY priced. $700/night at the resort we were at but that’s b/c compared to that hut, it was like 1/6 of the size. Very cool, but there’s little in this world that’s worth that amount of money in my opinion!

kathleen @ the daily crumb — February 20, 2012 at 12:19 pm

i do not have the day off of work. boooo! not happy that i missed 11 a.m. mimosa brunch with my girlfriends!

ahhhh bora bora. that is where we went on our honeymoon!! what i would give to go back…

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 20th, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I want the details! You were just in Paris a couple months ago, you scored a fab camera for Xmas, you were in Bora Bora for your honeymoon…I need to get on your program :)

11am drinking…ahhh, those were the pre-child memories. Lol

Kathryn — February 20, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I just tried to convince my boyfriend that he should take me to Bora Bora. He’s not buying it ;)

Joss — February 20, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Lots of yums in this post :D As usual! Today is family day in canada so mostly everyone has it off :D

jasper naomi — February 20, 2012 at 12:31 pm

next vacation for you: Cayman Islands@@@@@@@@@ have you been, already?

Erica — February 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Bora bora is on our bucket list!! What a great surprise-im sure scott loved it. I always have mondays off, so yes!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 20, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I’ve got the day off today – Loving it!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — February 20, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Beautiful post, Averie! But I couldn’t concentrate on anything after the picture of that beautiful resort… Whoa mama. I could just dive right in!

Brooke — February 20, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I would love to be in Bora Bora right now, just beautiful!

Brooke

Marina — February 20, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Um, yes, I guess. I left my job about 20 month ago to follow my husband to a middle of the country, and still think if it was a smart decision?! Only presidents can afford not to work this days!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — February 20, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Oooooh I love that china!!! I’m such a sucker for dinnerware :-)

Jenny@vegetarianhatesvegetables — February 20, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Those almonds look great! You should become president- and turn the whole white house into a giant kitchen!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 20, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I had the day off … it is family day here. I actually have the whole week off! I am so excited!

Katie — February 20, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I worked all day. But, I was going to go to the post office after and ran out of time. good thing I did, because I would have been mad about wasting time to get there if I’d have just shown up to the locked doors! I’m easily annoyed these days.

Paula — February 20, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Today was just business as usual for me, but a client gave me some sourdough starter and I’m excited to bake! I haven’t made a yeast bread in a while because I usually make quick breads.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 20th, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Oh I just made a quick bread! I can’t post the recipe for another few weeks though, but I think you’ll enjoy it. LMK how the starter works for you!

Deirdre @ Ladies Holiday — February 20, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I’m diggin’ number one…and you revealed another clue…oreos…hmm. I can’t imagine where this is going!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 20th, 2012 at 8:58 pm

No you really can’t and it’s my best recipe of 2012, tied with the Gooey Bars I just posted…the Oreo one is coming up…so good :) Glad you caught the clue! You’re only the second person to notice :)

Marla — February 20, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Such a fun post Averie! What a great idea. Love that Wedgewood china, I have never seen that pattern before. Want it now.

Kerry @ Totes My Oats — February 20, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Those almonds look great! I totally had class today. Sadly, I don’t feel like I’ve done anything extravagant lately!!

Luv What You do — February 20, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I think I just found the location of my future honeymoon. That first picture is spectacular!

Michele Sparrow — February 20, 2012 at 8:06 pm

My boys had school off today and they also have it off tomorrow. I love – LOVE – having them around. I simply cherish any moment I can have with them because it seems like in just the blink of an eye, they have grown up so much. I just don’t want them to grow up! Yes, I am one of those moms!!

Hope Scott enjoyed what you brought him! :-)

Amber K — February 21, 2012 at 11:21 am

Aubrey had the day off which was fun and I got to see my nieces and nephews too because they all had the day off. We watched a movie and hung out, nothing really fit for a President, but it was fun!

Christine (The Raw Project) — February 21, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Cute post and just wow on the resort! Pretty, but not worth the price to me. :-P I had the day off … sort of since I was on call for work and got a few calls.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 21st, 2012 at 1:14 pm

calls, even when you’re “on call” are never fun when you’re really should just be off!