Thursday Things on Friday

Time for this week’s Thursday Things on Friday. I’m running a day late because 35 National Peanut Day Recipes yesterday trumped Thursday Things. Peanut butter trumps just about anything for me.

1. A few months ago I mentioned that I contributed four recipes to this cookbook and it’s being released tomorrow. Considering I love Trader Joe’s, it was a perfect fit for me. The book has over 80 recipes and meal ideas for easy and on-the-go snacks, lunches, and meals.

See Kelly Lester’s site for a 34-page sample of the book, including recipes and the beautiful photos that were taken by my awesome friend, Marla Meridith

Here’s one of the recipes I contributed

Holy Fritatta! Spinach and Red Pepper Frittata

Here’s where you can buy the book

2. Sweet on Paris – This is a sweet fragrance, yes. However, unlike some scents where the sweetness is sacchariney-sweet and increasingly irritating over time, this is the opposite and it has really grown on me. It smells like a blueberry cupcake with a hint of lemon, which cuts the sweetness. I mean, who wouldn’t want to be covered in the scent of blueberry cupcakes with a lemon glaze?

However, I’ve been told it’s only available until the end of the month so if you want to smell like a blueberry cupcake, you need to buy it now. I’m stocking up.

3. I mentioned when I made Blueberry Muffins with Raspberry Jam Swirls that the scent of them baking was intoxicating and I wish I could bottle it. Bath & Body Works did the bottling for me.

4. A couple readers have told me about these Candy Corn-Flavored Oreos being sold exclusively at Target. Specialty versions of Oreos are so fun to bake with.

The Limited Birthday Edition Oreos in Oreo Cookie-Stuffed Brownies with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting but feel free to just use regular Oreos

and Mint Oreos (available year round) in Triple Layer Fudgy Mint Oreo Brownies

5. Top Chef Masters steals my heart on Wednesday night and I’m bummed the season is ending soon because I’ve really enjoyed watching the professional chefs embark on the challenges and like seeing what they create. I won’t spill the beans in case you’re watching the series and you’re not caught up on all the episodes, but I’m disappointed that a couple chefs in the past few episodes went home because I was rooting for them.

The next season though of Top Chef takes place on a cruise ship, which should be interesting.

As a consolation, the Real Housewives of Miami new season just started last night, but I wish it was the Beverly Hills or the O.C. Housewives because they’re my favorites. I found the last season of Miami Housewives just so-so. But, they have some new cast members on this season so we’ll see. I have it on my DVR but haven’t watched it yet.

6. Hive Vases, $24 to $34 at West Elm

7. Sweet Potato Tipsy, recipe from the 1960 Cookbook, How America Eats

I think combining sweet potatoes, butter, cream, brown sugar, sherry, and getting tipsy in the process is the sign of a fantastic dish. I don’t know if this is How America Eats today, but I’d sure like to get back to this butter-cream-tipsy style of cooking.

8. This Sweet Potato Red Pepper and Coconut Milk Soup won’t get you tipsy, but it’s vegan, gluten-free, and ready in 15 minutes from start to finish.

9. I just got my iHerb.com order. It’s the cheapest place for these probiotics, this nutritional yeast, and my beloved vanilla stevia drops

Enter code AVE630 to save $5 on your order and all orders over $40 ship free.

Their prices are already about 30 to 40% below retail and after you spend more than $50 they start discounting your order an additional 5% off and at about $70 they take off 7% and it goes up incrementally. They have specials and the discount percentages fluctuate a bit so don’t quote me exactly, but iHerb has saved me so much money over the years.

10. Williams-Sonoma Natural Sprinkles, $9.95 each

“Their vibrant hues are derived only from edible plants, such as beets, spinach, red cabbage and others. (They do not retain flavors from the natural colorants). Use them in combination with royal icing, creamy frosting or a sugar glaze to adorn cookies and other baked goods.”

What are your Thursday (or Friday) Things?

If you’ve made anything, done, seen, or bought anything fabulous recently, feel free to link it up in the comments.

Do you have any favorite cookbooks, scents, or online shopping sites that save you money? How ’bout those Tipsy Sweet Potatoes?

Enjoy your weekend!

66 Responses to “Thursday Things on Friday”

j3nn — September 14, 2012 at 12:26 am

Congrats on your recipes in the cookbook! That’s cool. :D

Love the sweet potato soup and those sprinkles! I wonder how much of the flavors are retained? I have natural food colorings that I haven’t tried yet. So expensive, I didn’t want to waste them! haha

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 8:22 am

I didn’t buy any b/c I had no idea about the flavor retention….LMK how they work out!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance — September 14, 2012 at 2:08 am

Congrats n the cookbook submissions! Looks like a fun cookbook….and I love trader joes! The “tipsy” dish cracked me up. That awesome, and does sound delicious! Happy Friday!

Janae @ Bring-Joy — September 14, 2012 at 3:17 am

I love those natural sprinkles–just my kind of thing.

I saw those candycorn oreos–what will they think of next?

& congrats on your recipe/cookbook collaboration. That’s a lot of fun to see your work in print.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 7:45 am

I know, they are always coming up with the next new thing, arent they!

Katie — September 14, 2012 at 3:46 am

Congrats on the book! I love those easy, dump and heat type of recipes as you know.

i’ve had several friends email me or text me or facebook message me about those candy corn oreos, because of my obsession with them. Sadly, no Target around here. I did watch a hysterical video of a woman taste-testing the oreos though and she hated them! Honestly, I’m not sure how I feel about them. I’m not a fan of the cc m&ms, or the cc popcorn I tried last year. Scratch that….the popcorn was good.

uuuummmm….now I want to make popcorn and mix in peanuts and candy corn. Is 5:45 too early for that? ;)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 7:45 am

No Target for you!? I had no idea…okay, you ARE living in a small town!

lindsay — September 14, 2012 at 4:10 am

wooohooo congrats Avery! i hope you celebrated with some champagne? hehe.

And now i am excited about top chef sailing away.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 7:44 am

LOL, no…more like an ice water but I like your idea better!

Paula — September 14, 2012 at 4:21 am

Congratulations on the book contributions! I love to wander around Trader Joe’s when I am traveling (sadly, we don’t have one here yet which is weird because Ft. Wayne is the 2nd largest city in Indiana). I was given 3 dozen fresh eggs yesterday so I am making a giant frittata this weekend (and spinach and red pepper are 2 of my favorite add ins).

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 7:44 am

3 dozen fresh eggs – what a treat! I bet that fritatta is going to taste amazing with them & I can’t believe no TJs for you…maybe one day!

katie @ KatieDid — September 14, 2012 at 4:31 am

congrats on being in the cookbook averie, what a fun project for you!

Elaine — September 14, 2012 at 4:58 am

I have the limited edition Candy Corn Oreos on my list of things to purchase this weekend! Can’t wait to give them a try. And thanks for sharing the iHerb link and your special code. I’ve been looking for a great site to buy some obscure cooking ingredients and supplements, so this is very helpful! Now excuse me while I go stock up on these items and use your code to save a little :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 7:43 am

Oh they have great buys on things like 1 and 2 pound bags of organic cinnamon that when you price it out for like a 4 oz jar is about 80% cheaper than what you’d pay for a jar of the same size at WFs. Stuff like that, cooking ingredients & supplements, super cheap! Happy shopping!

Amber K — September 14, 2012 at 5:25 am

I love the idea of sprinkles made from all-natural things. Yum. Now I want something with sprinkles!

marla — September 14, 2012 at 5:40 am

Hi Averie!! I can’t wait to get my hands on this book :) Thanks for sharing. Hope you have a great weekend. I love these favorites :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 7:42 am

Your photography from the online pics if just stunning and all the images have that “Marla vibe”…just looking at them, I feel like you are standing in the room with my, creatively! Signature-Marla images! Just so stunning & beautiful. You should be SO PROUD of yourself!!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — September 14, 2012 at 5:47 am

Love those vases. I’m waiting for my most recent iherb order to arrive. I’m out of my nunaturals vanilla stevia! Not cool LOL

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist — September 14, 2012 at 6:44 am

It’s so amazing that you got to contribute to the TJ’s cookbook!! I want it!! And I LOVE those West Elm vases too. I just love that place (and I’ve had my eye on those Anthro bowls you have pictured and was so excited to see that you have them!).
    This week I made a single-serve coconut party cupcake that is vegan and gluten-free because I was feeling selfish :) http://www.treatswithatwist.com/2012/09/coconut-party-cupcake-for-one-gluten.html
    And I really want the new “Baked” cookbook! I love those guys and their photos are always so beautiful (which is always a high selling point for me in cookbooks).

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 7:39 am

I have my eye on the Baked cookbook too! Those guys DO know what’s up and have great photos! And yes, I love both Anthro & West Elm too (not good$$ to love them..haha!)

Amelia — September 14, 2012 at 7:04 am

I LOVE those vases… those colors and the texture are just awesome! What a great find.

I never got to try the birthday cake oreos… sad.

Can’t wait to check out the cookbook with your recipes… giveaway idea maybe? Haha

Those peanut butter recipes yesterday had me drooling… so hard to choose which one to make.

Have a great weekend Averie!

Alysha @Shesontherun — September 14, 2012 at 7:36 am

I SOOO want that Trader Joe’s book! And congratulations! We are getting a new TJ’s only 14 mins away from our house, so I have TJ’s on the brain.

bev @ bevcooks — September 14, 2012 at 7:43 am

Those vases are sooooooooo cuuuuutteeeeeee.

Chris M. — September 14, 2012 at 8:15 am

Congrats Averie! Looks like a fabulous cookbook. TJ’s…the best! There is a new one going up not far from where I work. I can see lunch hours spent taking slow looks down every aisle, instead of rush-rush like I usually do. Those sprinkles are so cool, much fun to be had. My favorite thing lately is Nag Champa scented oil. For some reason, perfume gives me splitting headaches, but I can wear scented oils. A friend and I went into a crafty antique mall, there was a booth full of incense and oils-super fun. Have a nice weekend!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I love nag champa! I used to burn it during my yoga classes when I used to teach and at home during my yoga practice or just to make the house smell nice!

DaNelle Wolford — September 14, 2012 at 8:17 am

I sincerely want to shop at Trader Joe’s I just don’t understand why it’s so small and why they have no place to put your food when you check out. I need a Trader Joe’s 101 class.

DaNelle recently posted…How to stick to ANY diet plan

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 9:30 am

All of them are small…I guess in an effort to keep their rent/overhead low so the prices stay low!

mary @ what's cookin with mary — September 14, 2012 at 8:23 am

What a fun book to contribute to! The recipe I just posted is actually *almost* all TJ’s. I wonder if they’ll ever carry ww pastry flour ?

Loving those West elm vases!!

Happy Friday Averie :0)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 9:43 am

Doubtful b/c they try to carry things that they know will have universal appeal and although bakers and chefs may love it, I don’t know if it will have the universal appeal that A.P. flour has…but you never know! They started carrying coconut oil! Peanut flour though ended up being phased out and so have some of their other specialty flours… :(

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — September 14, 2012 at 8:26 am

Funny, I was totally going to stop off at B&BW today after work! Maybe they’ll have spritzer samples of that Sweet in Paris, mm. And I’m loving and baking with those candy corn Oreos this weekend–can’t wait! Have a fantastic Friday!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 9:42 am

Ooooh, LMK if you smell it or what you end up purchasing! I love new scents!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — September 14, 2012 at 8:35 am

Congrats on the cookbook, and I saw you on The Kitchn today! :) Love the natural sprinkles and those vases!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 9:42 am

thanks for the heads up (I hadn’t even seen it myself!) :)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — September 14, 2012 at 8:47 am

The vases are extremely cute!!

And congrats on TJ’s book feature — I want them to have a store in Orlando. Oh. So. Badly!!!

Alicia Orozco — September 14, 2012 at 9:54 am

I am so going to try out that cook book. It looks simple enough for even me to follow along. As for those oreo’s…there is another Target special that I get but still has that candy corn taste. Its Dots candy corn. So yummy!

Marina@Picnic at Marina — September 14, 2012 at 10:26 am

Hi Averie, I am sooooo happy for you for being printed!!! yey! Let ma do a happy dance…. …. … OK, now, still happy for you, my favorite shopping site, that saves me money? None, but I have a favorite stores where I definitely can spend all my money, and more: Williams Sonoma, Sur la Table, other kitchen stores. Good thing we live in a small town now and have nothing as such nearby, and we decided with my husband to use only cash, no cards. That helps too, as to part with real money is much harder than just swipe the card, and makes you really think how much you need it. It was hard in the beginning but now I am used to it. Although I still do online shopping with cards. :)
    Those vases are absolutely stunning, colors and patterns…
    WS sprinkles are beautiful. I drove about a week ago one hour to another town to get it, and they didn’t have it… Had to use what I found on the cake I made for the bridal shower…
    Have a lovely weekend! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I try to use GREEN money as much as possible, too. You are so right in that forking over $100 is alot harder than swiping for $100. I use my cards only for online purchases (but try to use money from my Paypal acct if I can) or for big ticket things like airline tickets and other than that, like to the groc store, mall, etc, I bring cash!

• Marina@Picnic at Marina replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 12:16 pm

We had to use our card last week for a very big ticket: brakes on husband’s car got broken, we had to replace some expensive part, like $1,400 expensive. Was a little shocking, because his car has only 25,000 miles on it. Oh, well, those things happen, and for those things we keep our cards active.
        Averie, I baked something, come see it. I think I am making baby steps in the baking department… :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — September 14, 2012 at 10:50 am

It’s so awesome that your recipes are in the book! CONGRATS! I definitely need to get a copy of that – Trader Joe’s is my mecca :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Thanks my friend! It’s my mecca too – was just there earlier today!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — September 14, 2012 at 11:08 am

I need those Oreos!! I haven’t seen them at Target yet. And you may think I’m crazy but I never tried those birthday cake Oreos when they were out! I’ve tried the mint ones in chocolate cookies before and in my Mint chocolate chip frozen pie as the crust! :)

Congrats on the TJ cookbook! I forgot that you’d be contributing to it! Love the looks of that frittata! I love West Elm. Those vases are gorgeous! Natural sprinkles!! I love it. I don’t think I could afford those so I’ll stick to the artificial stuff! :) My Friday things… a night baking cupcakes, watching Big Bang Theory and vegging out!!! My favorite way to spend the weekends. I’m a nerd!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 12:05 pm

The bday oreos were nothing special, IMO. They were really similar to regular oreos but with a *slight* bday cake flavor/bdday cake frosting appeal. Basically, if you buy clear vanilla/imitation vanilla (which I learned from C. Tosi, clear vanilla is what makes bakery-style bday cakes have that nostalgic classica americana flavor – it’s the synthetic chemicals) but if you add clear vanilla to something, that’s pretty much what the Bday oreos were like. There’s your food ramblings of the day :)

Rachel J — September 14, 2012 at 11:15 am

Still not pleased with the case of RHOMIA. You?? I can’t believe they recylced so many characters that were blah from season 1. Also, too many woman to follow!

Congrats on the cookbook! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I watched half of it from my DVR last night and have the other half to watch tonight…so far, meh, whatever. And yes SO many women to follow! I really do love the OC ladies the most and Bev Hills. Maybe b/c I’m in SoCal, too? I dunno. I do like NYC but am very meh on NJ. There is TOO much drama and it’s not even fun to watch all that yelling all the time!

Laura Dembowski — September 14, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Congratulations on the book! That’s a great honor. I am dying to try the Candy Corn Oreos and already thinking of things to make with them!

Sue/the view from great island — September 14, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Oh Averie you find the best stuff—I love the natural sprinkles! And congratulations on being in the new cookbook, that’s awesome.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I had my hands on the sprinkles in the W-S store this week, but put them back. Maybe I should go back for them…ha! :)

Sarah — September 14, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I love those vases! So cute. Well, and obviously I love anything Trader Joe’s related–congrats again. Have a great weekend!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Thanks, Sarah, means so much coming from you – a two-time author! Can’t wait to see your 2nd book! Enjoy the weekend with your sweet family :)

luvwhatyoudo — September 14, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I have so many things to say but I am too distracted by those tipsy potatoes. I love them already : ) I have put a few of my patients on the hunt for these Oreos. I almost went to Target on my way home but I was way too tired! Tomorrow it is…I’m thinking Candy Corn Oreo Fudge, but I have other recipes in mind too!

SE — September 14, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Awesome post! Need to find out more about probiotics. Do they keep you from getting the flu/colds? I love the perfume, the vases and the sprinkles. Great finds and congrats on the cookbook.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 11:22 pm

yes they help balance the entire body from GI system to immune system and do help prevent sickness and colds, flus, and imbalances of all kinds! they’ve changed my life since being very into them starting about 6-7 yrs ago

Renee — September 15, 2012 at 12:15 am

Congratulations on your recipes in the cookbook!! A Trader Joe’s just opened in my area!! Hopefully they will have it! :)

Jen @ Savory Simple — September 15, 2012 at 5:26 am

Your photos always make me so hungry! That’s very exciting about the cookbook!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — September 15, 2012 at 8:06 am

Candy corn oreo’s? Yummy!!! I didn’t know you contributed a recipe to the book! Congrats! I did all the nutritional stats to the book!! I can’t wait to get my copy. Barnes and Noble doesn’t have them in stock yet!

Christine (The Raw Project) — September 16, 2012 at 9:24 am

Great list and just interesting on the Oreos, not sure I’ll be trying them anytime soon. :-P

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes — September 17, 2012 at 11:18 am

OMG – I’m just catching up – CONGRAAAAAAATS on your role in the new Trader Joe’s cookbook!! That’s so exciting – I can’t wait to get my hands on my own copy and read your recipes!!!

And, yes, I’ve been stalking my closest Target to get my hands on Candy Corn Oreos. They WILL be mine.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 17th, 2012 at 11:48 am

LOL on the Oreos and thanks for the praise on the book – I know you’re as big of a TJs fan as I am!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 17, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Candy corn Oreos – ewwwww! LOL! I have never met anyone from Canada who likes candy corn, hehe, but people in the US seem to love it. I think it tastes like wax. Everyone I know used to toss it if it was in our bags after trick-or-treating!