Do-It-Yourself Guacamole Bar

I’ve always loved guacamole but my consumption this summer has been off the charts.

So much so that creating my own guac bar is only fitting.

Do-It-Yourself Guacamole Bar - Make your own guacamole bar and have fun taste-testing the options! Great party idea that everyone loves!

If you’re like me, you don’t have to throw a party to set out a spread like this. I can down this by myself on a random Monday.

I’ve made more meals out of The Best Peach Mango Salsa and guacamole than I can count. I don’t even need chips, just a spoon.

After the avocado is mashed in a bowl with a squirt of lime juice and dash of salt, it’s time for the add-in’s. I love the textures and flavors of veggies in guac and they really help to stretch one avocado. I try to limit myself to one avocado per day, but sometimes that’s impossible.

A big tip if you just need a few tablespoons of various veggies is to buy a ‘fajita mix’ or ‘stir fry mix’ in the refrigerated case of the produce department. It’s an easy and more cost-effective way to incorporate a wide variety of veggies without having to buy a whole one of each.

For pops of color and nice texture I like tomatoes, bell peppers (any color), corn, black beans, or olives.

If you’re a heat seeker like I am, add diced jalepenos, green chili peppers, poblano peppers, ground cayenne pepper, or cumin. Stirring in a couple tablespoons of spicy salsa works, too.

For bold flavor, add onions, garlic, salsa, or pico de gallo. And I love cilantro and always go overboard with it because it adds big flavor and for me it’s what makes guac taste authentic.

Get creative and if you think crumbled goat cheese, char-grilled corn, pickled jalepenos, mango or pineapple sound good, add them.

Serve your DIY guac with chips, flatbread, toasted pita bread or baguette slices. To keep carbs down and veggie intake up, sometimes I use speared bell peppers as my dippers. Sometimes I just use a spoon and shovel.

If you plan to do a guac bar for an event, only mash about half the avocados you think you’ll need in the beginning (I budget 1 avocado per person), and as time passes, mash as needed. Even if it doesn’t turn brown, guac turns darker and looks less appealing over time.

Whatever you add to your guac, I highly recommend washing it down with a couple of The Best Homemade Margaritas or a non-alcoholic 5-Calorie Lime-Raspgberry Margarita Fizz.

Just remember avocados are loaded with healthy fats. That’s what I keep telling myself anyway.

Print Print Recipe

Do-It-Yourself Guacamole Bar

You don't need to throw a party to create a DIY guacamole bar that any guacamole fan will love. A big tip if you just need a few tablespoons of various veggies is to buy a 'fajita mix' or 'stir fry mix' in the refrigerated case of the produce department. It's an easy and more cost-effective way to incorporate a wide variety of veggies without having to buy a whole one of each. If you plan to do a guac bar for an event, only mash about half the avocados you think you'll need in the beginning (I budget 1 avocado per person), and as time passes, mash as needed. Even if it doesn't turn brown, guac turns darker and looks less appealing over time. Get creative and add what you think sounds good and I recommend washing it down with a couple of The Best Homemade Margaritas.

Yield: 1 avocado per person, double, triple, etc. as necessary

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: 15 mintues

Ingredients:

Essential
1 medium ripe avocado, mashed
juice of 1/2 lime, or to taste
pinch salt, to taste

Optional Add-Ins (more common items at top of list)
bell peppers (any color)
tomatoes
onions (red, white, yellow, Vidalia, green, scallions, etc.)
garlic
cilantro
pico de gallo
jalepeno peppers (fresh, canned, pickled, etc.)
green chili peppers (fresh, canned, fire-roasted, etc.)
poblano peppers
serrano peppers
ground cayenne pepper
red pepper flakes
cumin
salsa
corn (fresh, frozen, char-grilled, etc.)
black beans
olives
cheese (crumbled Cotija, feta, goat, blue, etc.)
mango

flatbread
toasted pita bread
baguette slices
crackers
speared bell peppers

Directions:

1. Peel and de-seed the avocado. Scoop out and mash the flesh in a medium bowl.
  2. Add the lime juice, salt to taste, and stir to combine.
  3. Add as many add-ins, to taste, as desired and stir to combine.
  4. Serve with optional 'serve with' items (sour cream, etc.) and serve on chips or alternate dippers. Guacamole is best enjoyed fresh.

Related Recipes

Cheater’s Guacamole

Avocado, Cream Cheese, and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastries – One of my most popular recipes to date

The Best Peach Mango Salsa (vegan, GF)

The Best Peach Mango Salsa (vegan, GF) - Fast, easy, and tastes a million times better than anything storebought! So.darn.good!!

Sweet Potato, Corn, and Black Bean Enchiladas

Sweet Potato, Corn & Black Bean Enchiladas (vegetarian) - Healthier comfort food that everyone will love! Fast, easy & tastes amazing!

Cheese, Black Beans, and Corn-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Avocado Crema (vegan, GF)

Cheese, Black Beans, and Corn-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Avocado Crema (vegan, GF) - A healthy meal that's easy, ready in 15 minutes, satisfying & doesn't taste like health food!

Lightened Up Corn and Bean Quesadillas with Avocado-Mango-Chipotle Salsa  – (vegetarian/vegan, GF)

Lightened Up Corn and Bean Quesadillas with Avocado-Mango-Chipotle Salsa (vegetarian/vegan option) - You don't have to derail your diet to enjoy hearty & satisfying comfort food! This version is only about 300 calories & ready in 15 minutes!

Loaded BBQ Chicken Nugget Nachos (with vegan option)

Loaded BBQ Chicken Nugget Nachos (with vegan/GF options) - Chicken nuggets coated in BBQ sauce on top of cheesy nachos. Perfect party food!

The Best Homemade Margaritas:All Natural, 3-Ingredients

The Best Homemade Margaritas: All-Natural, 3-Ingredients - No sugar so you can sip worry-free! They go down way too easily!

5-Calorie Lime-Raspgberry Margarita Fizz

5-Calorie Raspberry Lime Margarita Fizz (non-alcoholic, vegan, gluten-free) - 5-Calorie Raspberry Lime Margarita Fizz (non-alcoholic) - Cool, refreshing & won't break your caloric bank with only 5 calories!

64 Responses to “Do-It-Yourself Guacamole Bar”

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — July 14, 2014 at 1:04 am

Gorgeous! It’s almost to eat man. And if you lived any closer, I’d seriously eat ALL OF THIS, no joke.

Tash — July 14, 2014 at 1:22 am

Simply fab!!

Cel — July 14, 2014 at 1:51 am

This is a great idea! Especially because I like way too much onion for other people’s liking haha.

ThisBakerGirlBlogs — July 14, 2014 at 2:28 am

This looks like so much fun! Perfect for my next party :)

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — July 14, 2014 at 3:07 am

What a fun idea! I could definitely down the entire bar by myself though – with NO SHAME. Pinning!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 14th, 2014 at 3:09 am

Thanks for pinning and glad you can relate to downing the whole thing, solo :) Me too!

Shaina — July 14, 2014 at 3:46 am

LOVE this idea! I am powerless before guacamole and would have so much fun making my own. This is perfect for parties!

Paula — July 14, 2014 at 3:59 am

This is something all my co-workers would absolutely love!! They frequently bring in chips, salsa, guacamole on Fridays (though I don’t work that day) so I should surprise them and bring it in! Customizing is always fun –and one co-worker is just as nuts for cilantro as I am!!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 14th, 2014 at 1:15 pm

I thought you may like this one! I still have a cilantro recipe coming. Gosh sometimes I forget about certain recipes and that I told you about cilantro and a recipe I have with it (I make things 4 to 8 weeks in advance of posting them and write out 1-2 months ahead what I’m making or planning to make so that I don’t post a choc cake and choc muffins and then choc cookies all in the same week…it happens otherwise!)

Bri | Bites of Bri — July 14, 2014 at 4:06 am

Ummm yea, just hand me the spoon! I mean, I love tortilla chips too (especially a chia quinoa variety we just found), but I’d rather leave all the room for guac!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 14th, 2014 at 1:12 pm

I just drank a chia seed and almond milk smoothie. LOVE chia seeds! Those chips sound great, although I really just need a spoon :)

Natasha — July 14, 2014 at 4:22 am

These photos are beautiful, Averie! So bright and colourful. Chips with salsa and guacamole are such perfect summertime eats. I’ve actually never thought to add corn into the mix but I will definitely be doing that next time around. Totally pinning this recipe!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 14th, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Thanks for the compliments and pinning! Grilled corn especially adds tons of smokey flavor but any corn adds a nice, bright texture and juiciness!

Melanie @ Carmel Moments — July 14, 2014 at 4:26 am

How cool is that?!? So pretty too.
    Love the photos.
    Have a marvelous week Averie!

Katie | Healthy Seasonal Recipes — July 14, 2014 at 4:54 am

This post is a party for the eyes! Love all these eye-popping colors and close-up shots of the guac laden chips.

Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice — July 14, 2014 at 5:07 am

What a fabulous idea to create a guacamole bar, Averie! My favorite kind! So great for all of the upcoming summer parties. Gorgeous pictures, too!

Marie @ Little Kitchie — July 14, 2014 at 5:12 am

LOVE this idea so much!! Who wouldn’t want to come to a guacamole party?!!

lisatberry — July 14, 2014 at 5:28 am

It can be a struggle to limit oneself to one avocado a day especially if you start the day with avocado toast or this glorious guac. I love to add fruit to mine like mango or peach to offset the red onion it is so good and I’m with you I could easily eat this whole bar no chips needed!!!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 14th, 2014 at 1:10 pm

mango or peach to offset the red onion = exactly! I actually don’t add onions to my own guac if I’m making it just for me because they are so overpowering for me personally. And that’s why I made that Peach Mango Salsa I linked to; I love fruity salsas with a kick! And no chips necessary for that, either :)

I love that you start off your day with avo toast!

Emily @ Life on Food — July 14, 2014 at 5:30 am

I have been craving guacamole for days. This just sealed the deal!!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — July 14, 2014 at 5:56 am

Okay so seriously, you have no idea how much guac I eat. Between guac and hummus, I have no need for dinner, hehe!! I LOVE the idea of a guac bar. We do taco bars all the time and it never occurred to me to do a guac bar. SO fun!!! PINNED :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 14th, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Between guac and hummus, I have no need for dinner = ME TOO! Except it’s usually salsa rather than hummus for me. And then with the drinks, truly don’t need dinner. Thanks for pinning, Aimee :)

marla — July 14, 2014 at 6:04 am

Now THIS is the way to do guacamole! Love the photos & the DIY bar idea ~pinning & sharing on Facebook today :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 14th, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Thanks for pinning, sharing, and being awesome. We need this, and many margaritas, and some time to catch up!! xoxo

Kathi @ Deliciously Yum! — July 14, 2014 at 6:13 am

Healthy fats – I have been telling myself that a lot lately :). Do I even need to mention how much I adore this idea? There would be no complaints if we had a guac bar every night of the week. Yum!

Maria — July 14, 2014 at 6:24 am

My kind of party!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — July 14, 2014 at 6:38 am

Oh, I think this is the most genius idea ever. I love guacamole more than life, most days. Although I’d probably just eat it all plain with a spoon before I had a chance to mix anything in! Genius, just genius. Pinned!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 14th, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Sometimes I DO eat it all before I even get all the other things sliced and diced :)

Colleen @ Royal Icing Diaries — July 14, 2014 at 6:40 am

What an awesome idea! If I didn’t eat all of it by myself, this would be such a fun spread for the summer. I’m always looking for new treats to put out for our never-ending stream of guests and I am just in love with this one! Thank you so much for sharing. :-)

shelly (cookies and cups) — July 14, 2014 at 6:59 am

what a fun idea! I am going to have to do this at my next party!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 14th, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Thanks, Shelly! I’d gladly trade you for that pink cake you just made. Stunning!

Valerie — July 14, 2014 at 8:24 am

Your guacamole is Perfect, Averie! Nice & chunky!! (I never understood why some people and restaurants mash the avocado until it’s a sad paste.)

Yumm…I’m on my way!! :D

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 14th, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I know, over-mashing to the point of mush, well that’s baby food! I mean with a ripe avo, it literally takes about 10 seconds of mashing in a bowl, tops. Any more than that, and you WILL have mush. Ick.

Katie — July 14, 2014 at 10:57 am

Beautiful photos! The colors are stunning.

This would be such a cool thing to do/bring for a potluck or an outdoor BBQ. I generally stick to the basics for guac – lime, cilantro, and garlic, but I listened to a Sporkful podcast about guac and I was intrigued with all the wacky and off-the-wall ideas. Goat cheese sounds fantastic!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 14th, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Thanks for the compliments on the photography and I’m like you, I usually do keep it pretty basic but also use it as an excuse to clean out my crisper drawer, to an extent. Even I do not put brock or cauli in my guac :)

Julie — July 14, 2014 at 11:59 am

What a festive idea for a get-together, love this! As usual, Averie, your photos are gorgeous! (Much as I love guac, would never imagine it could photograph this beautifully!)

Oh, and best part of this post for me? Seeing above Related Recipe for Avocado, Cream Cheese, and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastries…somehow I missed this one but it looks incredible. Always love your savory posts, thanks! :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 14th, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Thanks for the compliments on my photography! And glad that the Avo Puffs are new-to-you :)

Vanessa @ VeganFamilyRecipes — July 14, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Margaritas and Guac, what a perfect combination that I never get sick of. I love the idea of having a guac bar. Pictures are gorgeous! Thanks for this lovely idea :D

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — July 14, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Love the setup of this Averie, makes me want to throw my very own fiesta!

Medha @ Whisk & Shout — July 14, 2014 at 2:04 pm

I love guacamole, and this is making me want to invite people over and have at it :)

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — July 14, 2014 at 3:57 pm

We have some guacamole fools in my family. And I am one of them.
    What an original idea. Truly—-kind of additional bit of party fun. What with a margarita in hand might be created! All efforts would be amazing I am sure.
    Even the plain avocado is creamy and decadent all by itself.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 14th, 2014 at 5:03 pm

With a margarita or many in hand, there’s no telling what could be created :)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — July 14, 2014 at 4:19 pm

I absolutely love this, such a fun party idea. Pinned!

Julie Blanner — July 14, 2014 at 7:15 pm

What a great summer recipe! Can’t wait to try it myself. Yum!

julieblanner.com

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking — July 14, 2014 at 7:36 pm

This is SO not fair Averie… You take the most gorgeous photos with bright eye-catching colors and make everything look so appetizing, and… I’m allergic to avocados. I’d probably end up making my own “salsa” out of all of your mix-ins if you invited me to your random Monday party! It all looks absolutely incredible, but why should we expect anything else from you? ;)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 15th, 2014 at 3:32 am

Didn’t know you were allergic…ugh, that’s no fair!

Lizthechef — July 14, 2014 at 7:41 pm

STOP – tired of drooling – best to you. neighbor.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 15th, 2014 at 3:29 am

And best to you, Liz! I hope you’re having a great summer and having lots of guac :)

Lori @ RecipeGirl — July 14, 2014 at 8:01 pm

This is such a creative idea and so delicious!

Robin — July 14, 2014 at 8:02 pm

This looks wonderful. I believe there’s not much better than salsa or guacamole. I slice jicama up and use it dipping sometimes. Keeps me from feeling guilty when the bowl’s disappeared.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 15th, 2014 at 3:29 am

Love the jicama idea and years ago I would eat jicama with hummus rather than using crackers. I need to use it with guac!

tahnycooks — July 14, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Brillant~I can’t think of anyone that would not come to a “make it yourself ” guac party! Awesome idea!

Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen — July 14, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Healthy fats, healthy fats…yes I need more avo in my life! This is fabulous cuz so often one person likes this another likes that, and sometimes those flavors such as cilantro can make or break how much you enjoy the guac!! This is a fabulous idea :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 15th, 2014 at 3:28 am

Cilantro I have determined is like raisins. Such a ‘little’ thing but people who don’t like it, despise it! Total make it or break it item indeed!

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen — July 15, 2014 at 1:37 am

Brian and I are huge avocado fans and we often make guacamole as a party dish, and next time I think we are going to have to steal the “do it yourself” bar idea. So cute and clever!!

3girls1apple — July 15, 2014 at 5:46 am

I love guac! Honestly I would bathe in it. haha. All of these dishes look delicious.

Mira L — July 15, 2014 at 6:12 am

I love the presentation ! This is my favorite appetizer !

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — July 16, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Very fun idea Averie! I’m loving all of the colors.

Linda — July 18, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Mmmmm……..

Jessica @ Sprinkle Some Sugar — August 5, 2014 at 9:32 am

Love how vibrant and pretty these photos are! Guacamole is one of my favorites and this do it yourself bar is such a fun idea!