Skinny Carrot Potato Soup with Honey Cream
If you like smooth, thick, rich soups that taste like they’re made with a ton of butter and cream but actually aren’t, it’s your lucky day.
The flavor is predominantly carrot with a fairly strong ginger undertone. If you don’t like ginger or are sensitive to it, reduce the amount from the one heaping tablespoon of minced ginger to what you’re comfortable with.
The soup is fast and easy to make and it’s ultra comforting.
Simply sauté an onion, garlic, and ginger, add two pounds of carrots, a potato, vegetable stock, and boil.
After 45 minutes of boiling the stock reduced by half and the veggies are extremely soft and tender. You could eat it like this, but I prefer to blend it.
I used my Vita-Mix, but you can use a food processor or immersion blender.
With a Vita, the soup blended into velvety soft, smooth submission in under one minute and I didn’t wait for it to cool. However, if you’re using a food processor, it’s recommended you don’t add scalding hot items. Wait for things to cool down a bit.
Before serving, I added a dollop of sour cream mixed with honey. The cooling, creamy sour cream with the touch of sweetness from the honey perfectly complements the flavors in the soup.
Such a great soup if you’re feeling under the weather or just need to take winter’s chilly edge off. Even better that it’s skinny.
Skinny Carrot Potato Soup with Honey Cream
If you like smooth, thick, rich soups that taste like they're made with a ton of butter and cream but actually aren't, it's your lucky day. The soup is packed with flavor and you'll never miss the fat and calories. It's fast and easy to make and it's ultra comforting. The flavor is predominantly carrot with a fairly strong ginger undertone. If you don't like ginger or are sensitive to it, reduce the amount. I used my Vita-Mix to puree it, but you can use a food processor or immersion blender. Before serving, add a dollop of sour cream mixed with honey. The cooling, creamy sour cream with the touch of sweetness from the honey perfectly complements the flavors in the soup.
Yield: about 8 cups pureed soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: about 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
2 pounds carrots, trimmed, peeled, and sliced into very thin rounds, about 1/16th-inch
1 extra-large Russet potato or 2 medium/large potatoes diced very small, about 1/4-inch cubes
1 small/medium sweet yellow onion, diced small
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced finely
1 heaping tablespoon finely minced ginger (from about 2 to 3 inches peeled ginger; reduce this amount if you're sensitive to ginger)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 cups low-sodium vegetable stock (chicken stock may be substituted)
2 to 3 teaspoons salt, or to taste
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika or regular paprika, optional and to taste
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder, optional and to taste
pinch cayenne pepper, optional and to taste (doesn't make soup spicy and serves to enhance flavor)
1/4 cup sour cream (lite okay; Greek or vegan-friendly yogurt may be substituted)
about 2 teaspoons honey, or to taste (agave may be substituted to keep vegan)
- Soup - Trim, peel, and slice the carrots and potatoes. Make sure vegetables are thin and small or they'll take much longer to cook; set aside.
- Dice the onion, and finely mince the garlic and ginger. Reduce the amount of ginger if you're sensitive to it, I suggest halving it if you're sensitive; set aside.
- In a large heavy-bottom pot (I use this Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast-Iron 6-3/4-Quart Oval French (Dutch) Oven), add the butter, onion, and sauté over medium heat until the onion is translucent and barely browned, about 4 minutes. Stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and cook about 30 seconds, stirring constantly so it doesn't burn.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, vegetable stock, salt, pepper, and optional paprika, mustard powder, cayenne, and stir to combine. If you don't have these seasonings on hand, it's okay, but they do add subtle depth of flavor.
- Allow mixture to boil over medium-high to high heat for about 45 minutes with the lid on the pot, but keep lid cracked about one inch so steam can escape. During the process, taste the broth a few times and if you think it needs salt or other seasonings, add them; carrots and potatoes can be bland so make sure to season adequately. Boil until stock has reduced by about half and vegetables are very soft and fork-tender. Stir intermittently while mixture boils. While it boils, make the honey cream.
- Honey Cream - To a small bowl, add the sour cream, honey, and whisk until smooth and combined; refrigerate until needed for serving.
- After stock has reduced by about half and vegetables are very soft and fork-tender, transfer to high-speed blender and blend on high power until smooth. I used my Vita-Mix and blended it in two batches; or you can use a food processor or immersion blender. If you're using a food processor, it's recommended you don't add scalding hot items; wait for things to cool down a bit.
- Add soup to bowls, garnish with honey cream, and serve immediately. Soup will keep airtight for 5 to 7 days in the fridge or in the freezer for up to 4 months. Reheat gently in the microwave.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Roasted Carrot and Red Pepper Peanut Soup (vegan, GF) – Thick, rich, and loaded with smoky flavors!
The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup (Better-Than-Panera Copycat) – Make the best soup of your life at home in 1 hour! Beyond words amazing!
Creamy Vegan Corn and Red Pepper Blender Soup (gluten-free, soy-free, no added salt) – Ready in 5 minutes and packed with flavor!
Sweet Potato Red Pepper and Coconut Milk Soup (vegan, GF) – Ready in 10 minutes and so thick and satisfying!
Creamy Tomato Soup (vegan, GF) – Panera copycat that’s fast, easy, and healthy!
Immune-Boosting Vegetable Soup and Broth – (vegan, GF) – Easy soup that’s healthy, nourishing, and keeps you healthy! Bye-bye germs!