Easy 30-Minute Pumpkin Soup
This post may contain affiliate links.
Easy 30-Minute Pumpkin Soup – Silky smooth, rich pumpkin flavor, and accidentally healthy!! Amazing depth of flavor for a FAST and EASY soup that’s hearty and comforting without being heavy!!
This was never supposed to be a blog recipe. I made it for dinner for myself one night way back in May because I had a craving for pumpkin.
It turned out so well that I’ve made it over and over but I waited to share the recipe until it was more seasonally appropriate because I realize not everyone loves pumpkin quite as much as I do.
The soup is easy, ready in 30 minutes, is silky smooth, has rich pumpkin flavor, and amazing depth of flavor for being ready so quickly.
It’s healthy, naturally gluten-free and vegan (omit the cream drizzle at the end or use dairy-free milk) but you’d never know it because it’s filling and satisfying without being heavy. Hello Meatless Monday.
Because I like my pumpkin soup on the sweeter side, but not as sweet as say sweet potato soup, I incorporate carrots because they’re naturally sweet. As they cook down with sweet Vidalia onions and lightly caramelize, they provide the natural sweetness I love. I also added a touch of maple syrup and honey but add them to taste, or omit.
I use water rather than vegetable stock but you can use whichever you prefer. If you like a thicker soup, I’d recommend 3 cups of liquid and use 4 cups if you like it a little thinner. You can always start with 3 cups and add more as necessary as it cooks.
It’s not a fussy soup at all and you can tweak things at the end to taste. Hearty, cozy, warming, and perfect for chillier weather.
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet vidalia onion, diced small
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- one 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste at the end
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 to 4 cups water or vegetable stock, or as necessary (I use water)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, optional and to taste
- 2 tablespoons honey, optional and to taste
- cream or half-and-half, optional for drizzling
- toasted pumpkin seeds, optional for garnishing
- To a large Dutch oven or stockpot, add the oil, onions, carrots, and cook over medium-high heat for about 7 to 8 minutes, or until vegetables have softened and are lightly caramelized; stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add the pumpkin puree, salt, pepper, ginger, cinnamon, 3 cups of water/stock for thicker soup or 4 cups for a thinner soup (I recommend starting with 3 cups, you can always add more later), stir to combine, bring to a boil, and allow mixture to cook for about 3 to 4 minutes; stir intermittently.
- Transfer about half the mixture to the canister of a high-speed blender, cover, and blend on high power until smooth. Caution – Stop every 10 to 15 seconds to let the steam out. If you don’t know if your blender is capable of blending hot liquids, I recommend waiting until the mixture has cooled down a bit.
- Pour the smooth mixture that’s in the blender into a large bowl and repeat with the remaining chunky mixture that’s in the stockpot.
- Transfer the smooth mixtures back into stockpot, add the bay leaves, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes; stir intermittently.
- Taste the soup and optionally add maple syrup and/or honey, add more salt or pepper, more water/stock, more ginger, cinnamon, etc. Add everything to taste, as necessary.
- Remove bay leaves, ladle soup into bowls, optionally drizzle with cream or half-and-half, optionally garnish with pumpkin seeds, and serve immediately. Soup will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 759mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 8gSugar: 24gProtein: 6g
My FAVORITE PUMPKIN RECIPES on my blog!
My cookbook, Cooking With Pumpkin: Recipes That Go Beyond the Pie is my second cookbook and there are over 50 pumpkin recipes including sweets, savory, drinks, and a photo for nearly every recipe. I’d be super grateful if you headed over to Amazon to check it out!
Skinny Carrot Potato Soup with Honey Cream – Healthy, hearty, fast, and easy! Packed with flavor and you’ll never miss the fat and calories!
Sweet Potato Red Pepper and Coconut Milk Soup (vegan, GF) – Only 3 ingredients in this healthy, hearty & comforting soup! Ready in 15 minutes for those of us who don’t have all day to make soup!
Roasted Carrot and Red Pepper Peanut Soup (vegan, GF) – An easy soup that’s healthy and full of great flavor!
Creamy Vegan Corn and Red Pepper Blender Soup (gluten-free, soy-free, no added salt) – Ready in 5 minutes and packed with flavor!
Creamy Tomato Soup (vegan, GF) – Panera copycat that’s fast, easy, and healthy!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.