Easy 30-Minute Chicken Vegetable Soup — Extra veggies instead of noodles in this HEALTHY, easy chicken soup that’s so FAST to make!! Hearty, filling, and satisfying! Perfect for weeknight dinners and chilly nights!!
Homemade Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe
‘Tis the season for soup. This is an easy soup that’s ready in 30 minutes, hearty, packed with flavor, and has so many healthy vegetables that add great texture.
Rather than using noodles I used Alessi Organic Pearled Farro, Butternut Squash and Kale variety. Never heard of it? It’s an ancient grain with nutty flavor, chewy texture, and is similar in taste to brown rice. Farro can be used in soups, stews, or casseroles, or enjoyed as a cold salad. It can be used in both health food and comfort food recipes.
Farro rivals quinoa in terms of nutritional content, with high levels of fiber, protein, and iron. It serves as a rich source of vitamins and minerals making it a great post-workout recovery meal.
Plain farro dishes are considerable for low carb and low sugar diets or as substitutes for pasta or brown rice dishes. Check out the Alessi Online Store for more info about this versatile grain.
What’s in Chicken Vegetable Soup?
To make this chicken veggie soup recipe, you’ll need:
- Alessi Organic Pearled Farro, Butternut Squash and Kale
- Olive oil
- Chicken broth
- Shredded cooked chicken
- Spices (bay leaves, oregano, salt, pepper)
- Fresh parsley
- Lemon juice
How to Make Chicken Vegetable Soup
Cook the farro according to package directions. Meanwhile, make the soup. Sauté the onion, carrots, and celery until softened, then add the garlic.
Stir in the chicken broth, shredded chicken, bay leaves, oregano, salt and pepper and cook until warmed through. Add the kale, zucchini, parsley, and lemon juice, followed by the cooked farro. Enjoy!
Can I Add Other Veggies?
Of course! This chicken and vegetable soup can easily be tweaked to suit whatever you have in your fridge.
Can I Freeze Chicken Vegetable Soup?
Yes, this chicken veggie soup can be frozen for up to 6 months.
Tips for Making Chicken and Vegetable Soup
To save time with the soup, I used rotisserie chicken that I quickly shredded but you cook and shred your own chicken or use some that you have leftover. Turkey would be great too. Hello, Thanksgiving leftovers.
I used low-sodium chicken broth. Make sure to salt your soup to taste since all rotisserie chickens, chicken broth, and personal preferences for salt vary.
This recipe calls for just 1 cup of cooked farro. Save the remaining farro and enjoy as a side dish in place of rice.
Pin This Recipe
- 1 3/4 cups water for cooking farro
- one 7-ounce package Alessi Organic Pearled Farro, Butternut Squash and Kale
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, peeled and diced small (about 2 medium or 1 large onion)
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and sliced thin (about 1 1/2 large carrots)
- 1 cup celery, sliced thin (about 2 stalks)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 64 ounces (8 cups) low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 to 4 cups shredded cooked chicken (use about 1 whole storebought rotisserie chicken to save time; or roast or cook your own chicken in a skillet)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- leaves from 4 large stalks of kale, torn into bite-sized pieces (discard the center thick rib)
- 1 cup zucchini, diced small (from about 1 medium zucchini)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, optional (brightens up the flavor)
- To a large skillet, add the, water bring to a boil, add the farro, and cook according to package directions, about 20 minutes or until water has been absorbed and farro is tender. While farro cooks, make the soup.
- To a large Dutch oven or stockpot, add the oil, onion, carrots, celery, and sauté over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Stir intermittently.
- Add the chicken broth, shredded chicken, bay leaves, oregano, salt and pepper to taste, and boil about 5 minutes, or until chicken is warmed through.
- Add the kale, zucchini, parsley, optional lemon juice, and boil 1 to 2 minutes, or until kale has wilted and zucchini has softened.
- Add 1 heaping cup cooked farro, or all of it if desired, and stir to combine. Tip – If you add just the 1 heaping cup of farro, the extra great as a side instead of rice and it will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Taste soup and add salt, pepper, or herbs, to taste. Remove bay leaves and serve immediately.
Tips: Amount of salt will vary based on how salty the brand of chicken broth used is, how salty the rotisserie chicken is, and personal preference. At any time while making the soup, if the overall liquid level is lower than you like and you prefer more broth, adding a cup or two of water is okay because at the end you will adjust the salt level.
Storage: Soup will keep airtight in the fridge for 5 to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 912Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 263mgSodium: 8963mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 9gSugar: 19gProtein: 79g
More Quick Soup Recipes:
15 Best Fast and Easy Soup Recipes – Warm up with these easy soup recipes! Most are ready in under 30 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights! Hearty, comforting, and so good!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup – Classic, comforting, and tastes just like grandma made but way easier and faster! This soup is AMAZING and it’ll be your new favorite recipe!
Easy 30-Minute Kale, White Bean, and Chicken Soup — Loaded with juicy chicken, healthy kale, and tender beans! Easy, hearty, and satisfying! Love it when something healthy tastes so good!
Weight Loss Vegetable Soup – Trying to shed some pounds or get healthier? Try this easy, flavorful soup that’s ready in 30 minutes and loaded with veggies! Very filling and hearty! Zero WW points!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade White Chicken Chili – Hearty, healthy, loaded with tender chicken, and packed with bold flavor! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves! It’ll be on rotation all winter!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup – Chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, and addictively crunchy tortilla strips! Fast, easy weeknight meal, and better than from a restaurant!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortellini Soup – An fun spin on classic chicken noodle soup using cheese tortellini! Fast, easy, comfort food that just hits the spot! You’ll make it over and over again!
The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup (Better-Than-Panera Copycat) – Make the best soup of your life at home in 1 hour! Beyond words amazing! One of the most popular recipes on my blog and gets RAVE reviews!
Easy 30-Minute Minestrone Soup (Better-Than-Olive-Garden-Copycat) – Homemade is always better and this soup is amazing! The best minestrone ever! Perfect for busy weeknights and it’s healthy!
Loaded Cheesy Chicken Potato Chowder – Potatoes, chicken, carrots, corn and more! Thick, creamy, rich, and wonderfully cheesy! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves!
Loaded Cheesy, Bacon, Corn, and Potato Chowder – Loaded with all the good stuff! Bacon, cheese, and more! Hearty, comforting, fast, and easy! A dinnertime favorite that’s perfect for busy nights!
Post is brought to you by Alessi. The recipe, images, text, and opinions expressed are my own. #alessifoods