Green Powerhouse Salad with Sesame-Ginger Vinaigrette
This post may contain affiliate links.
I’m the first to admit that I have a big sweet tooth.
But when it comes right down to it, this is what I want day in and day out.
A big bowl of vibrant green plants does a body good. And mind, body, and spirit, too. All this greenery is great for helping your body to be the powerhouse it wants to be.
There are times when nothing else but a Quadruple Chocolate Soft Fudgy Pudding Cookie will do and while I’m tearing into it, you could not wrestle it out of my hands for dear life.
But it’s plants that I crave over the long haul and this is typical of what I eat day in, day out. Light, fresh, healthy, naturally vegan and gluten-free, and satisfying.
There’s edamame for protein and chewy texture, while sugar snap peas add fantastic crunch and their subtle sweetness is always welcome. And I’ve always loved peas and broccoli, really I do.
The simple vinaigrette just makes the salad. It adds so much flavor, but it’s light and not greasy or gloppy.
It’s made with sesame oil, which lends an Asian-themed flair since sesame oil is one of the major components in peanut sauce and peanut noodles.
Apple cider vinegar adds brightness, agave (or honey) balances the tartness, and ground ginger adds a gentle heat. Or if you’re like me and use lots, the heat isn’t so subtle.
Follow my new group board, Healthy, Light, Skinny for recipes that’ll keep you feeling like a healthy powerhouse.
I could never get sick of this salad. Or cookies.
- about 3 cups mixed greens, loosely packed
- 1/2 cup steamed edamame
- 1/2 to 1 cup steamed broccoli
- 1/2 cup steamed peas
- 1/2 cup steamed sugar snap peas
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon agave (or honey, not vegan), or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger, or to taste (I used 1 tablespoon, vinaigrette will be fairly spicy)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Salad – Place greens on a large platter; set aside.
- Steam edamame by placing frozen edamame in a 2-cup glass measuring cup or similar microwave-safe bowl, cover with about 1 1/2 cups water, and heat on high power for 5 to 8 minutes, or until tender and done. Drain; set aside.
- Steam broccoli, peas, and sugar snap peas by placing them in a large microwave-safe bowl, cover with about 2 cups water, and heat on high power for about 3 minutes, or until as done as desired (I prefer these vegetables barely cooked, firmer, and crispier). Drain; set aside.
- Sesame-Ginger Vinaigrette – Add all ingredients to a medium bowl and whisk vigorously to combine. Taste, and adjust as needed.
- Combine all steamed vegetables in one bowl, add the vinaigrette, and toss to combine.
- Add vegetables to the greens and serve immediately. Salad is best fresh, but the steamed vegetables will keep airtight for up to 2 days in the fridge; they’ll continue to soften over time after being dressed with the vinaigrette.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 562Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 386mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 16gSugar: 24gProtein: 20g
Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Quinoa Salad (GF) – Trying to keep meals healthier & lighter? Make this easy, refreshing & satisfying salad
Lemon Rosemary Coconut Oil Roasted Vegetables (vegan, GF)
How To Roast Spaghetti Squash and 12 Healthy Squash Recipes – Value eating at it’s finest. Stuff your face with warm, comforting noodles for under 100 calories
BLT Chopped Salad with Homemade Creamy Buttermilk Ranch Dressing – Fast, fresh, healthy & satisfying
Skinny Mayo-Less Cabbage Salad (vegan, GF) – This healthy cabbage salad/coleslaw isn’t coated with gobs of mayo & you won’t miss it
Peanut Noodles with Mixed Vegetables and Peanut Sauce (vegan, GF) – Easy and ready in 15 minutes
Tater-Less Parmesan Zucchini Tots – You’ll never miss the taters! Crispy, crunchy, and sooo good! You’ll forget you’re eating zucchini!
Tropical Green Smoothie (vegan, GF) – Tastes like a Pina Colada. Sweet, creamy, healthy & gives me more energy than coffee!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.