Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortellini Soup
This post may contain affiliate links.
Chicken Tortellini Soup — This chicken tortellini soup has all the comforting qualities you want in classic chicken noodle soup but with the unexpected twist of cheesy tortellini.
Easy Tortellini Soup Recipe
I’ve been on a major soup-making kick lately. I love making soup because it’s easy and makes enough for plenty of meals to come. Planned leftovers are my friend. My soup recipes are usually done in about a half hour and this chicken tortellini soup is no exception.
I used my Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup as the base and swapped out egg noodles for cheese tortellini. It has all the comforting qualities you want in classic chicken noodle soup but with the unexpected twist of cheesy, tender tortellini.
There’s sweet Vidalia onions, carrots, celery, thyme, oregano, and parsley to add texture and depth of flavor amidst all the juicy chicken and tortellini.
What’s in Chicken Tortellini Soup?
To make this cheese tortellini soup recipe, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Vidalia onion
- Chicken broth
- Cheese tortellini
- Bay leaves
- Fresh thyme
- Dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded cooked chicken
- Fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- Lemon juice
How to Make Chicken Tortellini Soup
Add the oil, onion, carrots, and celery to a stockpot and sauté until the vegetables are tender. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute or two until fragrant.
Then, stir in the chicken broth, tortellini, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, and pepper and bring to a boil. Let the soup boil until tortellini are tender and cooked through.
Add the chicken, parsley, and lemon juice, and continue boiling until the chicken is warmed through.
Can I Omit the Chicken?
Yes, you can certainly omit the chicken and make a delicious vegetarian cheese tortellini soup instead.
Can I Freeze Chicken Tortellini Soup?
Yes, this chicken tortellini soup can be frozen for up to 6 months.
Tips for Making Chicken Tortellini Soup
To save time, use store-bought rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken that you have on hand. Of course you can roast or pan sauté chicken, if you prefer.
Make sure to salt your soup to taste. I use low-sodium chicken broth and add a bit of salt to my soup so I can control the overall salt level. The saltiness of the chicken broth, rotisserie chicken, and tortellini all vary, as do personal preferences, so salt to taste.
Lastly, if at any time while making the soup the overall liquid level is lower than you like and you prefer more broth, adding a cup or two of extra chicken broth or water is okay.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, peeled and diced small (about 1 large onion)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced into thin rounds (about 2 large carrots)
- 1 cup celery, diced small (about 2 large stalks)
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 64 ounces (8 cups) low-sodium chicken broth
- 10 ounces cheese tortellini
- 2 to 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (use storebought rotisserie chicken to save time; or roast or cook your own chicken in a skillet)
- 1/3 cup fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley leaves (stems discarded), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- To a large Dutch oven or stockpot, add the oil, onion, carrots, celery, and sauté over medium-high head for about 7 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, tortellini, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Allow mixture to boil gently for about 5 to 6 minutes or until tortellini are tender and cooked through. Stir intermittently. At any time while making the soup, if the overall liquid level is lower than you like and you prefer more broth, adding a cup or two of extra chicken broth or water is okay. At the end you will adjust the salt level.
- Add the chicken, parsley, optional lemon juice (brightens up the flavor), and boil 1 to 2 minutes, or until chicken is warmed through.
- Taste soup and add salt to taste. I added about 1 teaspoon but this will vary based on how salty the chicken broth, rotisserie chicken, and tortellini are, and personal preference. Make any necessary seasoning adjustments (i.e. more salt, pepper, herbs, etc.), remove the bay leaves, and serve immediately.
- Soup will keep airtight in the fridge for 5 to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Adapted from Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 627Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 12581mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 5gSugar: 21gProtein: 43g
More Easy Soup Recipes:
BEST Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe – Classic, comforting, and tastes just like grandma made but way easier and faster! This soup is amazing and it’ll be your new favorite classic chicken noodle soup recipe!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup – Chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, and addictively crunchy tortilla strips! Fast, easy weeknight meal, and better than from a restaurant!
Immune-Boosting Vegetable Soup and Broth – (vegan, GF) – Easy soup that’s healthy, nourishing, and keeps you healthy! Bye-bye germs!
Loaded Cheesy Chicken Potato Chowder – Potatoes, chicken, carrots, corn and more! Thick, creamy, rich, and wonderfully cheesy! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade White Chicken Chili – Hearty, healthy, loaded with tender chicken, and packed with bold flavor! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves! It’ll be on rotation all winter!
The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup (Better-Than-Panera Copycat) – Make the best soup of your life at home in 1 hour! Beyond words amazing!
Easy 30-Minute Beef Taco Chili — Don’t have all day for chili to simmer? No problem!! This EASY, hearty chili full of Mexican-inspired flavors is ready in 30 minutes! If you like TACOS, you’ll LOVE this chili!!
Easy 30-Minute Minestrone Soup (Olive Garden Copycat) — This minestrone soup recipe takes just 30 minutes to make and it’s way better than what you get at Olive Garden! Homemade always wins in my book!
The 15 Best Fast and Easy Soup Recipes — All of these recipes are fast to make and most are ready within 30 minutes, which is always nice for busy weeknights. They’re hearty, comforting, will warm you up inside, and so good!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.