Better-Than-Girl-Scout Samoas Cookie Bars
This post may contain affiliate links.
I could eat them both by the box, in a sitting, and as a kid I did. Sure wish I still had that metabolism.
I think you guys love Samoas too because this Samoas Cookie Pie video has been viewed by 8 million people on Facebook! But I digress.
For me to say a cookie bar that resembles Samaos but is better than Samoas is a huge statement. But these are better than Samaos. And so much easier than making individual cookies. No mixer required.
They have an Oreo crust (trumps a shortbread crust), are topped with coconut, chocolate chips, and are drenched in salted caramel. They’re very chewy, rich, and decadent. Even though one is plenty, I couldn’t stop at just one. Just like real Samaos.
There’s a secret ingredient included: corn flakes. Why? Because between the Oreo crumbs mixed with butter, the oil from the coconut, and all the salted caramel, the corn flakes help absorb the liquid so the bars stay intact. You can’t taste the corn flakes and if you don’t have corn flakes on hand, Rice Krispies, Special K, or a similar cereal would likely be fine although I haven’t personally tried those options.
I used Trader Joe’s salted caramel but you’re welcome to use another brand or make your own. Don’t use ice cream sundae caramel sauce because it’s too thin and runny.
When you take the bars out of the oven they’ll be bubbling vigorously. Allow at least 1 hour for them to cool and set up, longer if you can stand it, before you sink your teeth into all the gooey layers, textures, and flavors.
- 12 Oreo cookies (I used regular, not Double Stuffed), crushed into fine crumbs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup corn flakes, lightly crushed
- 1 1/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut flakes, measured loosely and not packed
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- about 8 ounces salted caramel sauce (storebought or homemade
- sea salt, optional for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Aluminum Foil, spray with cooking spray (I highly urge you to use foil for easier removal from the pan and easier cleanup); set aside.
- To the canister of a food processor, add the Oreos and process at high speed until you have fine crumbs.
- Stop the machine and add the melted butter. Process at high speed to incorporate. Turn crumb mixture out into prepared fan and firmly pack the crumbs into an even flat layer with a spatula.
- Evenly sprinkle the corn flakes (I simply crush them 1/2 cup at a time in my fist), coconut, chocolate chips, and evenly drizzle with salted caramel.
- Bake for about 22 to 25 minutes, or until caramel is bubbling vigorously around the edges of pan and in the center. Allow pan to cool on a wire rack for at least one hour (longer if you can wait).
- Optionally sprinkle with sea salt before serving. Bars will keep airtight at room temp for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 178Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 149mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 14gProtein: 1g
Samoas Cookie Pie – Move over Girl Scout Cookies! The flavor in this easy, giant cookie is 100% spot-on! Hello year-round cookie season!
Homemade Thin Mints – (no-bake, vegan) – Only 3 ingredients in this spot on copycat version of real Thin Mints! Easy recipe!
Carmelitas – Easy one-bowl, no-mixer recipe. With a name like that, they have to be good!
Caramel and Chocolate Gooey Bars (GF) – Lots of caramel, chocolate, and great texture from the oats!
Salted Caramel Magic Bars – A fun twist on the classic bars because everything is better with salted caramel! Fast, easy, no-mixer recipe that’ll be a hit with everyone!
Rolo Seven Layer Bars – The classic bar tastes even better with Rolos!
Peanut Butter Seven Layer Bars –
Chocolate Chip Cookie Magic Bars – The classic recipe made even better with a chocolate chip cookie crust! One bowl, no mixer, fast and easy! Soft, chewy, gooey and so good!
Magic Eight Bars – The classic, made with an extra layer and so darn good!
Salted Caramel Buttery Crumb Bars – Easy, soft, buttery bars that just melt in your mouth! The salted caramel makes them so irresistible!
Caramel Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Gooey Bars – Keep the napkins handy for these soft, gooey bars dripping with the best caramel-peanut butter sauce!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.