Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies
This post may contain affiliate links.
It’s been over 3 years since I’ve blogged about a recipe with browned butter.
I was craving that rich, deep, almost nutty flavor that it lends and knew it would be perfect in a pan of blondies.
For these very soft, gooey, slightly chewy, brown buttery blondies that are loaded with chocolate chips, I called upon my trusty blondie base.
When I want an easy, fuss-free, one-bowl, no-mixer recipe that I know everyone will love, it’s my go-to. With 25+ versions and counting, it never lets me down.
It’s an easy recipe to memorize because everything is ‘one’. In the 1 bowl used, add 1 stick butter that’s been browned, whisk in 1 egg, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon vanilla, 1 cup flour. For this version there’s 1 cup chocolate chips.
These are some of the best blondies I’ve made in ages. The tender dough with rich browned butter flavor, a crackly top almost like brownies have, and the melted chocolate chips is an irresistible combination.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), browned
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 scant cup all-purpose flour (I used 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- To a large skillet add the butter and heat over medium heat to melt, stirring nearly continuously or swirling the pan. Butter will melt, foam, turn clear, golden, turn brown, and then will smell nutty. As soon at the butter begins to turn brown and there are a few brown specks (but not black), take the pan off the heat, pour butter into a large bowl, and continue to stir for about 1 minute, to ensure carryover heat doesn’t continue to cook and subsequently burn the already browned butter. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes so you don’t scramble the egg.
- Add the egg, brown sugar, vanilla, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour, salt, and stir until just combined, don’t overmix.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula, and bake for about 20 minutes, or until top is set in center and done; don’t overbake. Blondies firm up as they cool. A toothpick test is unreliable because you will likely hit melted chocolate but if you hit a patch of dough, the toothpick should come out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. Place pan on a wire rack to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing and serving. Blondies will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 242Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 101mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 2g
Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups – Prone to cookies that spread? It’s impossible with these! Thick, soft, and chewy cookies baked in a muffin pan that are so rich from the browned butter!
Browned Butter Caramel and Butterscotch Bars – Browned butter, caramel, and butterscotch is the most heavenly combination! Super soft, chewy, with texture from the butterscotch chips!
Banana Bread with Vanilla Browned Butter Glaze – Soft, tender banana bread with a heavenly vanilla-scented browned butter glaze!
Browned Butter Rice Krispies Treats – Jazz up classic Rice Krispies Treats with browned butter! Makes such a wonderful difference in the depth of flavor!
Rolo Chocolate Chip Blondies – Gooey caramel, chocolate chips, and buttery soft dough! Easy, one-bowl, no-mixer recipe that’s a guaranteed hit! Who can resist caramel and chocolate!
Nutella-Swirled Peanut Butter Chip Blondies – Nutella is swirled throughout soft and gooey blondies studded with peanut butter chips!b
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars – Super soft bars that just melt in your mouth from all the PB! And all the chocolate! Must.make.now!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.