Flourless Chocolate Cake
This post may contain affiliate links.
Flourless Chocolate Cake – A classy, elegant cake that’s ultra rich, fudgy, and tastes better than what you’d get in a fancy restaurant and it’s so EASY!! Your friends and family will think you slaved over it and be so impressed!!
If you’re looking for a classy, elegant dessert to serve at your next party or for something that will impress your friends and family and make them think you slaved over it (but didn’t), this cake is the one.
It’s ridiculously easy but tastes like a million bucks. So rich, dense, and fudgy.
How To Make Flourless Chocolate Cake
The recipe couldn’t be any easier. Simply melt chopped chocolate and butter together in a large microwave-safe bowl before adding all of the rest of the ingredients, at one time, and mixing everything together.
For all of you bakers out there, just dumping everything into a bowl at once and mixing it all together probably makes you cringe – yeah, me too.
But since there’s no flour in this cake, there’s no need to worry about over-mixing the dough which would over-develop the gluten and create a tough cake.
There are no leaveners so no need to worry about those either.
In fact, you probably have everything in your cupboard to make this cake right now. Hint – go make it.
And I probably don’t need to say this but I will since someone is always new to the gluten-free lifestyle or is trying to cook for someone who is gluten-free or is trying to come up with a dessert for a mixed group of dietary needs, but this cake is naturally gluten-free because there’s no flour.
What Kind Of Chocolate To Use
Use a semi-sweet or dark chocolate. This is not the time for milk chocolate.
Use a chocolate bar, not chocolate chips.
I used Trader Joe’s 72% Pound Plus Bar which I find perfect for most brownie and chocolate cake recipes. Dark enough to not be overly sweet but not so dark that it’s bitter. I wouldn’t go above 80-85%.
How Does The Cake Taste
The flourless chocolate cake is extremely rich and fudgy. You truly only need a sliver of cake to be satisfied, especially if you’re going to be enjoying it after a meal. Think of this cake as something you’d eat in a fine dining restaurant. The portions are never big but what you do get tends to be highly satisfying and fulfilling.
I highly recommend serving the cake with fresh fruit such as strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries. Or enjoy it with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or whipped topping. Something else to help mitigate the density of the cake is important here.
Depending on if you like chilled desserts, this is an excellent contender to be stored in the fridge and served chilled. Or you can keep it at room temp; this is totally up to you. Sometimes I find ultra rich chocolate desserts to be extra good if you serve them chilled.
Favorite Chocolate Cake Recipes:
- The Best and The Easiest Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes – One bowl, no mixer, so easy! The warm, gooey, fudgy chocolate center is heavenly! Better than any restaurant versions!
- The Best Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache – One of the best chocolate cakes I’ve ever had and the easiest scratch cake to make! Nothing fussy or complicated and delivers amazing results every time!
- Turtle Chocolate Poke Cake – The flavor of the famous candy in a decadent chocolate cake with tons of caramel and pecans! Easy, super soft and moist, and a crowd favorite!
- Slow Cooker Hot Fudge Chocolate Cake – Super soft, gooey, rich, and fudgy! The cake makes its own hot fudge sauce while cooking in the slow cooker! The easiest cake you’ll ever make and it tastes amazing!
- 4 ounces semi-sweet or dark chocolate (I used Trader Joe's 72% Pound Plus Bar), coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, diced into about 8 pieces
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, plus more for dusting the cake after baking
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, ice cream, whipped cream, etc. for serving if desired
- Preheat oven to 300F and spray a 9-inch round cake pan with floured cooking spray, or grease and flour the pan; set aside.
- To a large, microwave-safe bowl add the chocolate, butter, and heat on high power for 1 minute. Stop to check and stir. Heat in 30 second bursts until mixture can be stirred smooth.
- Add all remaining ingredients and beat with a handheld electric mixer on high power until mixture is smooth and incorporated; the batter is quite thick.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan and bake for about 40 to 44 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. All ovens, climates, pans, etc. vary and I recommend starting to check at the 30 minute mark for doneness and bake accordingly, as needed. Watch your cake and not the clock.
- Allow cake to cool in pan for about 20 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Allow cake to fully cool before dusting it with cocoa powder.
- Serve with berries, ice cream, etc. if desired. Depending on your personal preference, you may wish to keep this cake in the fridge and serve it chilled. Cake will keep airtight at room temp or in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 373Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 115mgSodium: 200mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 2gSugar: 33gProtein: 5g
The Best and The Easiest Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes – One bowl, no mixer, so easy! The warm, gooey, fudgy chocolate center is heavenly! Better than any restaurant versions! Best chocolate cake EVER!!
Cabernet Chocolate Cake With Chocolate Ganache And Sea Salt – Now you don’t have to choose between dessert or wine since this is BOTH!! Rich chocolate cake spiked with Cabernet and topped with a silky ganache that also has Cabernet in it! Divine, amazing, MAKE THIS CAKE!!
Triple Chocolate Cherry Cake – An extremely moist, rich cake that’s so easy and studded with cherries! The frosting is silky smooth and a favorite chocolate frosting! A 10 out of 10 showstopper!
The Best Triple Chocolate Layer Cake – Rich, intense, and everything you crave in decadent chocolate cake! Along with tender chocolate cake there’s chocolate cream cheese frosting, chocolate chips, and melted chocolate!
Coca-Cola Cake – One cake of Coke in the cake and another can of Coke in the frosting! Easy no-mixer cake that’s supremely moist! Tastes like a Texas sheet cake spiked with Coke!
The Best Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache – The best chocolate cake I’ve ever had and the easiest scratch cake to make! Nothing fussy or complicated and delivers amazing results every time!
Slow Cooker Hot Fudge Chocolate Cake – Super soft, gooey, rich, and fudgy! The cake makes its own hot fudge sauce while cooking in the slow cooker! The easiest cake you’ll ever make and it tastes amazing!
Turtle Chocolate Poke Cake – The flavor of the famous candy in a decadent chocolate cake with tons of caramel and pecans! Easy, super soft and moist, and a crowd favorite!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.