These are some of the healthiest tacos I’ve ever made.
There’s no actual beef used, but my family was 100% convinced they were the real deal.
Everyone who ate the tacos was completely fooled. Love it when that happens.
The products are gluten-free, Kosher, soy-free and made with 100% Non-GMO pea protein. There’s 10 grams of protein, same as ground beef, but there’s no cholesterol, saturated or trans fat. I bought them in the frozen section of my regular grocery store, no special trips to organic or specialty grocery stores required.
The tacos take just minutes to make. Combine the crumbles with taco seasoning, a splash of water, stir, and heat. Spoon the filling into shells and add your favorite toppings. I used low-carb, whole-wheat fajita-sized tortillas, just 80 calories each and packed with fiber.
I kept the tacos vegan by using vegan cheese and vegan sour cream, with lots of lettuce and tomatoes. Seeing those pops of green and red make me feel healthy just looking at these.
I estimate the calorie count to be about 230 per taco. 90 for the meat-free crumbles, 80 for the wrap, 50 for the cheese and sour cream, 10 for the lettuce, tomato, and salsa.
The ultimate in comfort food. Juicy, meaty, beefy, cheesy, filling, and packed with big, bold flavors.
They just happen to be vegan and healthy.
Pin This Recipe
- one 11-ounce bag Beyond Meat’s Beef-Free Crumbles
- 2 tablespoons low sodium taco seasoning
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water
- fajita or taco shells (I used low-carb whole wheat fajita shells)
- about 1 cup shredded cheese, divided (I used vegan, use your favorite cheese blend)
- about 1 cup chopped lettuce, divided
- about 1 cup diced tomatoes, divided
- sour cream, optional for garnishing
- taco sauce, hot sauce, or salsa, optional for garnishing
- Add the crumbles, taco seasoning, and water to a medium microwave-safe bowl and stir to combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap and heat on high power until just bubbling, about 1 minute. Or cook covered in a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat on the stove.
- Stir mixture, spoon into shells, top with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, optional sour cream, hot sauce, or your favorite taco toppings. Tacos are best enjoyed warm and fresh.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 459Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 689mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 36g
More Mexican Recipes:
Homemade Tacos Al Pastor — Learn to make this staple Mexican recipe that includes thinly sliced pieces of pork marinated in a tangy, sweet pineapple sauce AT HOME!
Loaded BBQ Chicken Nugget Nachos (faux nuggets)
This post brought to you by Beyond Meat. Recipe, images, and opinions expressed are my own.